4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stupid Addco!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 06:31 PM

Stupid Addco!

OH MY ****ING GOD. THIS IS TOO MUCH.

I received REPLACEMENT hardware today from addco...AND ONCE AGAIN IT DOESNT FIT.
First time I bought my RSB, the clamps didnt fit ANY of the U-Bolts and ]-Bolts...OK, I heard this was a problem. So I contacted ADDCO for replacement.

Two weeks later (today) I get "replacement" hardware. I GET TWO ****ING ]-BOLTS AND THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME AS MY ORIGINAL HARDWARE. THEY SEND ME A HUGE *** BOX WITH TWO FREAKING LITTLE ]-BOLTS!! What a waste of space. I told him, I need replacement hardware for a RSB for a 98 maxima. ALL of the replacement hardware. I get two pieces. GREAT!

IS THIS WHAT THEY CALL "HARDWARE REPLACEMENT"????? sending me two stupid *** bolts that are the exact same as the original hardware which was WRONG TO BEGIN WITH! IM SO MOTHER****ING ****ED. ADDCO CAN KISS MY ****ING ***, IM GOING WITH STILLEN. they can take their stupid RSB and shove it down their rabbit hole.

I can't beleive this is happening I've had my RSB for quite some ****ing time now. Its a god damn waste of space in my closet. I hate Addco.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got mine from custommaxima.com and had some fitment issues. All I did was use a vice and wrap the threads with a paper towel and bend them to the right width. It took some patience but it eventually worked. I wasn't too mad since I did pay a lot less than a Stillen bar. Its worth the wait once you get it on though!
Old 02-08-2002, 07:48 PM

I'm glad I heard this before I ordered mine.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

sorry to hear about your experience with addco mozy...
my ] bolt didn't fit through the ] clamps so i had to force it down... i guess addco has a problem with fitment issues. you get what you pay for.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:05 PM

did anyone else have this problem??? - BTW mozy - did u buy your car used.......it may have been in an accident and the shop could have fixed it up differently????
Old 02-08-2002, 09:22 PM

?

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
did anyone else have this problem??? - BTW mozy - did u buy your car used.......it may have been in an accident and the shop could have fixed it up differently????
huh? what are you talking about? I didnt even mention my car...I mentioned that hardware that I got from Addco with my RSB...mmmmmk.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
sorry to hear about your experience with addco mozy...
my ] bolt didn't fit through the ] clamps so i had to force it down... i guess addco has a problem with fitment issues. you get what you pay for.
yeah, I've been following your troubles too. What's up with addco? Anyways. I was thinking about filing out longer holes on my _/\_ clamps but I have to file so much that I will go through the whole thing. I was thinking of bending it apart...but I dont know if thats dangerous or not, I dont want to have my RSB fall off or start rattling.

Anyways, "you get what you pay for" is right, its just that...well I didnt think I was paying for a paper-weight when I pumped out $150 out of my wallet. Why is everything cheap so ****ty? Thats life I guess.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:35 PM

Mine fit like a glove... guess I'm in the minority.

mozy - How bad are the fitment problems? Can you post any pics of the stuff they sent you?
Old 02-08-2002, 11:16 PM

i dont have a digicam, i have a video camera -> tv tuner connection...but thats too much work right now.

basically its just that the holes on the plates are too close together for the ] and U bolts to go through them.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by mozy
i dont have a digicam, i have a video camera -> tv tuner connection...but thats too much work right now.

basically its just that the holes on the plates are too close together for the ] and U bolts to go through them.
Just a suggestion but on my addco RSB I had push the clamp through evenly or else the bolts would not go through the clamp. I would love to see a pic of your hardware.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:38 PM

Does your hardware look the same as the hardware in this pic? http://www.cattman.com/images/products/rsb2.jpg
Old 02-08-2002, 11:56 PM

I've done several Addco RSB installs. 2 4th gens and 3 5th gens. The 2 4th gens went on without any problems. The 3 5th gen had [ bracket problems, but those were expected.

Old 02-09-2002, 12:21 AM

How far is it away from fitting? Mine was a very, very small gap but I was able (with the aid of a hammer) to get it to fit in there. I'd actually rather the tolerance be that small so I know there's no play in it.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:35 AM

Mozy, I had the exact same problem I think. The problem is the ] bolts are *WAY* too narrow... they won't even go around the trailing arm, much less fit into the brackets.

Second, the U bolts were too long, so they stuck down like 2 or 3 inches under the axle, and the threaded portion ended about an inch before the bracket, so I couldn't tighten the nuts all the way up to the bracket!! I ended up buying new U bolts from Autozone (they call them muffler hangers) for like $4 each, but I couldn't find a replacement for the [ brackets anywhere...

So I was forced to contact Addco back in November. I got the replacement [ bolts via UPS last week. In a HUGE box just like you describe. The difference is the new [ bolts they sent me fit perfectly. They actually go around the trailing arm and fit right into the brackets: they're actually about a millimeter from being too wide!

Good luck dude.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:45 AM

This is interesting. I bought my Addco RSB from Morgan Performance (www.swaybars.com) and it fit exactly. No fitment problems or missing hardware whatsoever. I've had misfitting Y pipes and motor mounts from Cattman however.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:27 AM

My "[" brackets were a pain in the *** to install until I figured out that I had to line it up evenly with the holes before it fit. If you put one thread through the plate then try to get the other one through, it seems that the holes are too close together and the plate doesnt fit, but this isnt true. Do it evenly with both threads and with a little force, it should fit. Dont bad mouth Addco on this, its a very minor problem. If worse comes worst then just bend the bracket a hair to line it up better. Trust me once you get it on it will be worth it.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:09 AM

Mines fit without a problem. I was worried about trying to make them fit. I guess I'm also part of that minority.

KLS
Old 02-09-2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by araffio
My "[" brackets were a pain in the *** to install until I figured out that I had to line it up evenly with the holes before it fit. If you put one thread through the plate then try to get the other one through, it seems that the holes are too close together and the plate doesnt fit, but this isnt true. Do it evenly with both threads and with a little force, it should fit. Dont bad mouth Addco on this, its a very minor problem. If worse comes worst then just bend the bracket a hair to line it up better. Trust me once you get it on it will be worth it.
dont worry, im not the only one badmouthing addco. i'm not stupid, I know that youhave to put the threads in at the same time...beleive me I tried. and using force is not an option, the thread will scrub off the bolts.

I guess I will have to get those pics up soon...to show you guys whats up. I dont know, maybe they sent me the 5th gen hardware...
Old 02-09-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: Stupid Addco!

I just put mine on about a hour ago and it fit perfect
Old 02-09-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Stupid Addco!

done it on a 98 as well as my 95, no problem in either case
Old 02-10-2002, 09:43 AM

I also had fitment problems with the U-bolts. I had to widen the U-bolt and grind the slots longer and receive the U-bolts.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:14 AM

I put my addco/cattman RSB on yesterday and I had a little fitment issues, but I had my super dad helping me...with his old age and wisdom and my short temper and hammer pounding, we got it to go on...and I got to tear up the twisties at 1 am
Old 02-10-2002, 11:46 AM

OH MY ****ING GOD. THIS IS TOO MUCH.

I received REPLACEMENT hardware today from addco...AND ONCE AGAIN IT DOESNT FIT.
First time I bought my RSB, the clamps didnt fit ANY of the U-Bolts and ]-Bolts...OK, I heard this was a problem. So I contacted ADDCO for replacement.

Two weeks later (today) I get "replacement" hardware. I GET TWO ****ING ]-BOLTS AND THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME AS MY ORIGINAL HARDWARE. THEY SEND ME A HUGE *** BOX WITH TWO FREAKING LITTLE ]-BOLTS!! What a waste of space. I told him, I need replacement hardware for a RSB for a 98 maxima. ALL of the replacement hardware. I get two pieces. GREAT!

IS THIS WHAT THEY CALL "HARDWARE REPLACEMENT"????? sending me two stupid *** bolts that are the exact same as the original hardware which was WRONG TO BEGIN WITH! IM SO MOTHER****ING ****ED. ADDCO CAN KISS MY ****ING ***, IM GOING WITH STILLEN. they can take their stupid RSB and shove it down their rabbit hole.

I can't beleive this is happening I've had my RSB for quite some ****ing time now. Its a god damn waste of space in my closet. I hate Addco.
I thought my hardware was messed up too until I played with it a bit. There are four flat plates, two with just round holes and two with one round hole and one slotted hole. The plates with the slotted hole go with the trailing arm U bolts and the plates with just round holes go with the axle U bolts. The bushing brackets will fit either. Just remember to use good grease (moly-graphite) inside the bore of the bushings where they clamp around the bar or they WILL squeek like crazy and you will have another reason to hate Addco.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-10-2002, 12:43 PM

I've installed 4 of these on 4th gens and 2 of them had the exact same problem. The U brakcets fit fine and had tons of thread left after tightening while the ] brackets required reaming out with a drill bit and had very little, if any, thread exposed after the nut was on. I put lock tite on the bolts (I know they have nylon locks) and cranked em down. It was a PIA and it would figure that my personal RSB was the most difficult, but I got it on and saved a good bit over the Stillen's price - if you ignore my time and labor. hehe. Addco's instructions were for s*** too. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Addco's instructions were for s*** too. Good luck.
I love the part where it says "as shown on illustration".
Old 02-10-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
Yes, that would have to have been my favorite illustration also. I used the directions for the stillen bar to install my addco. It was close enough
Old 02-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Originally posted by Weasel
LOL! yea, i laughed when i read those instructions. i ended up installing it without instructions...
Old 02-10-2002, 03:14 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

2 of the flat brackets are of different size. I wasn't paying attention when I first put mine on and when I tried to put on one of the brackets it wouldn't fit. After taking a look at everything I realized that out of the 4 brackets, two of them were different sizes. Not sure if this is anyones problem, but if it helps...
Old 02-11-2002, 04:47 AM
Former Sponsor

I had the exact same problem. I thought that I was doing something wrong, since they provided such clear and accurate detailed instructions. After 2 hours trying everything I could think of under the car, I gave up and called Addco, I explained to them the problem I was having with the ]-bracket. I told them it was just a little bit too small and they sent out a pair to me which fit perfectly. I don't understand why they don't just do that when people call with fitment issues. I'm sure I wasn't the first person to call. and I definitely wasn't the first person with that problem.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:29 AM

There have been reports that Addco mixed up some of the hardware kits for their bars at some point in building their kits. I think Cattman mentioned this, but said that Addco has been pretty responsive in providing the correct parts if you contact them.

Nothing worse than being all ready to get a job done & having something like that happen. . .
Old 02-11-2002, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by emax95

I would love to see a pic of your hardware.
Damn that's sick can we please not post pics of his or anyone's hardware.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:29 AM

I posted this morning on this subject...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....675#post867338
Old 02-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello Mozy:

You will likely have the similar problems with the Stillen version.

Anybody would be hard pressed to find any company that does quality mods.... most of the tech support staff at those joints are just kids trying to work their way through school... probably folks who aren't too gifted with cars. They probably aren't going to have great engineers either...

If you want all troublefree mods, buy a Toyota or a Lexus and call up TRD for mods... cause TRD is an in-house branch of Toyota.

I think AEM is the only mod company that does decent work...
Old 02-11-2002, 10:08 AM

The instructions with the ADDCO RSB certainly blow, but there is really no question on the quality of the product, IMO. Once I realized there were two sets of flat brackets of different size and the longer ones go with the "]" brackets, I was all set.

Regarding those with ADDCO RSB issues and those without - are the problems caused by the differences in the manufacturing allowances of ADDCO or with the manufacturing allowances of Nissan?

m
Old 02-11-2002, 10:35 AM
MDr

Bought mine from Cattman.
Installed in 30 minutes w/o any problem.

May be those with problems got stuck
with a bad batch ?
Old 02-11-2002, 10:44 AM

Same here. Installed in 30 min with no problems. Granted, the instructions that came with it really sucked. I grabbed a better set of instructions off of the internet.

DW

Originally posted by MDr
Bought mine from Cattman.
Installed in 30 minutes w/o any problem.

May be those with problems got stuck
with a bad batch ?
Old 02-11-2002, 12:18 PM

See what you guys dont understand is that my problem is with the curly bracker _/\_ not the flat brackets. I figured out that the U-bolt goes into the bracket with two oval holes. That was a simple "star shape goes into star hole" puzzle.

My problem is with the curly brackets that clip onto the urethan pieces on the bar.

none of the bolts ] or U fit into those brackets. The holes are spaced about 5mm too close ON ALL FOUR BRACKETS. and the whole bracket is made 5mm too short. basically the bolts overlap parts of the holes but dont go in. I was thinking about bending them apart but them Im worried that the bar's urethane piecs might slip out or something because they have inadequate grip from the bend brackets.
I'm getting more ****ed everyday now. This is not right, addco ****ed me over twice.

thanks for your support (I think?)
Old 02-11-2002, 12:32 PM

Welp, I just called ADDCO and told them whats up. He went to check their hardware and said "all the pieces fit here, someone must have sent you the wrong hardware." Twice.

I guess they faked really well to get their ISO9002...sheesh...

Anyways, he said "ill send you 2 brackets and 2 bolts."

I told him "i need all 4 brackets." Then he said yes...bla bla bla

Well, now its time to wait ANOTHER month. Great.

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:37 PM

snip... I was thinking about bending them apart but them Im worried that the bar's urethane piecs might slip out or something because they have inadequate grip from the bend brackets.
I'm getting more ****ed everyday now. This is not right, addco ****ed me over twice.

thanks for your support (I think?)

Ohhhhh!

I'd say bend the bushing brackets (can I call them that?) out by the ends to cause the holes to be spaced farther apart. You shouldn't have to bend them too far to get the 5mm and then when you tighten them down they'll go back to normal.

Or you can clamp down and bend the U and ] bolts by the ends in a vice, just a wee bit.

m
Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM

Welp, I just called ADDCO and told them whats up. He went to check their hardware and said "all the pieces fit here, someone must have sent you the wrong hardware." Twice.

I guess they faked really well to get their ISO9002...sheesh...

Anyways, he said "ill send you 2 brackets and 2 bolts."

I told him "i need all 4 brackets." Then he said yes...bla bla bla

Well, now its time to wait ANOTHER month. Great.

You get what you pay for.
All the more reason to bend SOMETHING now. Get your frustration out and make them fit. If you bleep them up, you always got the new ones down the road (pun intended).

m

Quick Reply: Stupid Addco!