4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

21 inch rims on a lowered max

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

Originally posted by Shadow
There are no logical benefits to it, he just likes it. Half the stuff we do to our cars have no real benefit, we just like our cars more with those mods. Some people like their cars fast, he likes to cruise with 21"s. I have 19"s, body kit, custom paint, SC, custom interior, TV, NOS, and honestly, none of them are justifiable from a cost perspective. But I enjoy my car much more with those mods there.

Hey to each his own...

...my point is simple though. The super charger increases performance, custom interior "could be" more comfortable, NOS increases performance, and so on and so forth.

21" rims increase the cost of tires, decrease ride comfort (lower sidewall), and decrease performance (speed from weight, twisties from decreased sidewall). To a majority of people that see them they look pretty stupid... which can be argued by simply pointing out that you didn't care what other people thought... in which case you would not need to advertise that you did this or that to your car.

For an example... I have a moderately modified truck. It has 15" Rims with 33" tires. By doing the modifications that allow me to fit those tires under my truck I have increased ground clearance. By adding the larger tires I have increased ground clearance again, and increased the ground clearance of my unsprung weight... I have also added unsprung weight which helps with articulation *up to a point*. I have added more sidewall to protect my rims and hubs and I have obviously added more contact area to help with traction. As a result I give up some on-road performance and on-road handling.

Now add 21" rims to an Escalade and what have you done? Nothing. You have wasted money so that you turn a few heads (most of which are not turning in admiration). You have not bartered for anything... you have given up all of the things I have with no added bonus. I simply asked for a better explanation... I am curious if there is something I am missing.

If not, then I will continue to think that large rims are an excuse for performance upgrades..
Old 02-13-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

Originally posted by Entropy

Hey to each his own...

...my point is simple though. The super charger increases performance, custom interior "could be" more comfortable, NOS increases performance, and so on and so forth.

21" rims increase the cost of tires, decrease ride comfort (lower sidewall), and decrease performance (speed from weight, twisties from decreased sidewall). To a majority of people that see them they look pretty stupid... which can be argued by simply pointing out that you didn't care what other people thought... in which case you would not need to advertise that you did this or that to your car.

For an example... I have a moderately modified truck. It has 15" Rims with 33" tires. By doing the modifications that allow me to fit those tires under my truck I have increased ground clearance. By adding the larger tires I have increased ground clearance again, and increased the ground clearance of my unsprung weight... I have also added unsprung weight which helps with articulation *up to a point*. I have added more sidewall to protect my rims and hubs and I have obviously added more contact area to help with traction. As a result I give up some on-road performance and on-road handling.

Now add 21" rims to an Escalade and what have you done? Nothing. You have wasted money so that you turn a few heads (most of which are not turning in admiration). You have not bartered for anything... you have given up all of the things I have with no added bonus. I simply asked for a better explanation... I am curious if there is something I am missing.

If not, then I will continue to think that large rims are an excuse for performance upgrades..
You think too much.......... and I don't think anybody really gives a flying f@ck about your truck on maxima.org.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:19 PM

I am interested to see what it looks like, but on a mathematical scale I don't think they'll fit under a lowered maxima. I don't think there is enough room for them in the front wheel wells.

plus 7k? Thats more than your cars worth, I hope that your maxima is your second car and your Bently is sitting in the garage.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

The super charger increases performance, custom interior "could be" more comfortable, NOS increases performance, and so on and so forth.

Consider this: what practical purpose does a supercharger serve. Ooh wow, it makes your car faster. But how often do you need more speed than a stock Maxima can give you? Only when you're racing. And when you race, you are using a ton of gas, it is so wasteful and inefficient. So why do spend so much money to make your car hog up so much gas? Because racing makes you feel good!

Now supposing for some perverse reason, you like the look of huge wheels, lets compare them to the supercharger. Both involve a large initial investment. Both increase your gas usage. Both make you happy. So what is the difference?
Old 02-13-2002, 04:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

Originally posted by Prolepsis

Consider this: what practical purpose does a supercharger serve. Ooh wow, it makes your car faster. But how often do you need more speed than a stock Maxima can give you? Only when you're racing. And when you race, you are using a ton of gas, it is so wasteful and inefficient. So why do spend so much money to make your car hog up so much gas? Because racing makes you feel good!

Now supposing for some perverse reason, you like the look of huge wheels, lets compare them to the supercharger. Both involve a large initial investment. Both increase your gas usage. Both make you happy. So what is the difference?
Lets see....herm herm herm
larger rims create more stress on steering components, suspension, bushings,their offset usually wrecks havoc on bearings, the weight of them loosens up cv joints during acceleration... Well I think all of that almost outspend the cost or the rims and tires. But the good thing is that you wouldn't worry about high-centering on tree stumps in the forrest on the Tuff Truck Challenge-oh ooops I meant Ghetto Car Championship. But who am I to judge? I have dreams of putting linkage track on my I30. Oh yeah and replace that steering with with a T-bar and my passengers could be gunners and turret operators.

FOR GOD SAKE SELL THE RIMS AND BUY A HONDA
Old 02-13-2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by big_dawg

You think too much.......... and I don't think anybody really gives a flying f@ck about your truck on maxima.org.
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution.

If I thought anyone cared about my truck, I would have been more specific... I was obviously using it metaphorically.

Like, werd... or something.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Prolepsis

Ummm... what does a SC run now? A couple grand? His rims were how much? SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! For 7K I could rig that bad boy up with a ~BAD A$$~ 7MGTE... and I mean NO ONE would see my rims after that. Puuleeeease.

As a matter of fact... instead of putting rims on I could buy myself an SC... and I would have money left over to buy two more people on the board an SC.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:36 PM

maybe you guys should stop writing essays on why you think people shouldnt do what they want to their own cars and let them do it if it makes them happy.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

Ummm... what does a SC run now? A couple grand? His rims were how much? SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! For 7K I could rig that bad boy up with a ~BAD A$$~ 7MGTE... and I mean NO ONE would see my rims after that. Puuleeeease.

As a matter of fact... instead of putting rims on I could buy myself an SC... and I would have money left over to buy two more people on the board an SC.
or you could talk on the phone for 140,000 minutes if you dial 10-10-220 where you can talk for 20 minutes for just a buck
Old 02-13-2002, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t

larger rims create more stress on steering components, suspension, bushings,their offset usually wrecks havoc on bearings, the weight of them loosens up cv joints during acceleration... Well I think all of that almost outspend the cost or the rims and tires. But the good thing is that you wouldn't worry about high-centering on tree stumps in the forrest on the Tuff Truck Challenge-oh ooops I meant Ghetto Car Championship. But who am I to judge? I have dreams of putting linkage track on my I30. Oh yeah and replace that steering with with a T-bar and my passengers could be gunners and turret operators.

Maybe you're just jealous because you dont have $7k burning a hole in your wallet
Old 02-13-2002, 04:51 PM

you are correct-give that man a junior G-man badge!!!!

Yeah right, I don't have 7k to just throw away like that, I have a daughter. I would rather invest. If anyone on this board just has money to throw away I'm sure they're leaving for the DTM board or the bimmer boards. I just think you want to ***** up this thread like the rest of us.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by wope
maybe you guys should stop writing essays on why you think people shouldnt do what they want to their own cars and let them do it if it makes them happy.
I have nothing better to do...

He can do whatever he wants... I think it is great that he can afford something like that. If I could afford to blow 7K on rims, I might actually be singing a different tune.

The tune associated with my wife ripping off my ***** for even thinking about it...
Old 02-13-2002, 05:17 PM

you are correct-give that man a junior G-man badge!!!!

Yeah right, I don't have 7k to just throw away like that, I have a daughter. I would rather invest. If anyone on this board just has money to throw away I'm sure they're leaving for the DTM board or the bimmer boards. I just think you want to ***** up this thread like the rest of us.
Whats a G-Man?

And how dare you accuse me of being a post *****!
Old 02-13-2002, 05:38 PM

Look man, I like what I like and you like what you like. Second of all, I'm not buying no cheap *** honda. And also I got the price wrong on the 21's. They are about $6000 with tires. Little do you know, since you haven't ridden on a set they don't ride rough. My boss has a set on his 2001 S500 and they ride fine. And if they are good enough to put on his CL600 then obviously they're aren't any problems with them. If you can't afford it, don't call me ghetto because you can't afford them. Keep your punk *** comments to yourself.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:47 PM

Well I have rode on 20's and I've ridden on 22's. the S500 ride was probably so soft because of the airbag suspension? Oh yeah I didn't see that in your sig. Lets not try to compare our pocket books, I don't know what you do for a living as you don't know what I do. But try to POST THE FRIGGIN picture before you call somone a punk a$$. I called your big ol rims ghetto not you. Get your facts straight and relax, it could be worse spring and medic could be flaming you. I'm just learning how to do it

BTW don't Kenworth trucks roll on 22's? Maybe you should keep looking up and get 14 more of em and an air horn
Old 02-13-2002, 05:59 PM

here's another one of those funny threads were people who don't like what the thread is about feel its time to spread there **** poor opinions all over. He just wanted to show his rims to people who might care. If you don't like it and tell him you don't thats fine, but then it gets to name calling and other senseless bull s#*t. Bottom line???? every dollar we spend over taking care of the car is waisted. Were spending money on something that is lossing value so get over it. Your nos, superchargers, springs everything is messing the car up just as much as his rims are. So no one should be insulting the way others spend there money. If you really are only intrested in investing money in your daughter or family then you would only spend what you had to, so know one should be trying that route around here.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:04 PM

Let the guy get his rims!!

Look let a person put whatever rims they want on their cars, it is there car. But you might want to go to the DMV and get the farm use tag b/c your car is gonna look like a truck

Again this is my opinion, if a person wants to spend 7K on rims, rock on.... In this country our leadership pays $200 for a hammer, so pay what you like, I would rather max out my 401(K) or take a vacation or buy a bigscreen.. But thats me.

As the old saying goes.... To each his own. And for all others, as a wise man once said "SHUT IT"

Have a Nice Day!!

I ran my mouth too soon, I saw the thread the car looks good if it was used for shows, IMHO, not everyday use, too bumpy.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:10 PM

in all honesty I'm just posting because people keep posting. I'm home and had nothing else to do.

Jason-you said farm HA HA HA HA
and there isn't a wise man in the crowd that would say "shut it".
Old 02-13-2002, 06:32 PM

Will somebody please put an end to this senseless debate.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:14 PM

Max79 - I love the rims, they look crazy! I saved the pics to my drive so I can show them off to my friends

Moderators - Please lock/delete this thread, it's getting to be useless.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ROTFLOL

Originally posted by Max79
they don't ride rough.
The reason they don't ride rough is because you have the wrong size tires on there. You have as much side wall as I do on my 17's only your rims are bigger. And your speedo's off almost 10%.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:43 PM

the rims look good...it's his style guys...let him do what he wants...don't hate on it though...
Old 02-13-2002, 07:56 PM

...I wasn't trying to call anyone names.

Believe me, it was all in good fun.

I am just used to a more thick skinned crowd... my bad.

I don't come here that often anyway... the "server busy" messages outlast my limited attention span.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
the rims look good...it's his style guys...let him do what he wants...don't hate on it though...
Some just dont like the big rims on regular cars but in this case he pulls it off well. Congrats Max79. You make the big rims look good.

SuDZ
Old 02-13-2002, 10:50 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Now you're BIG []D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]! Fo Sheazy! Get 22's next! Now that you're ballin you should get some contempary jeep music. It's so smooth and relaxing.. HOLLA @ THE KID!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
21's are considered to be big on SUV's.......imagine a car - lol
21's are too small for an SUV. 20's need to be factory size for most of these trucks and SUV's now. When you get an SUV now you have to get 22's or better to have your truck look like anything.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:18 PM

Well I have rode on 20's and I've ridden on 22's. the S500 ride was probably so soft because of the airbag suspension? Oh yeah I didn't see that in your sig. Lets not try to compare our pocket books, I don't know what you do for a living as you don't know what I do. But try to POST THE FRIGGIN picture before you call somone a punk a$$. I called your big ol rims ghetto not you. Get your facts straight and relax, it could be worse spring and medic could be flaming you. I'm just learning how to do it

BTW don't Kenworth trucks roll on 22's? Maybe you should keep looking up and get 14 more of em and an air horn
I've ridden on 23's too, so why don't you tell everybody they suck because you don't like big rims. And what justifies you calling anything ghetto. I'm sorry I lowered myself to your level on this B.S. And some Kenworth's ride on 24's son, so get your facts straight.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:24 PM

SMH @ these HATERS. I know when the chicks see you sitting on rims that are OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK they will be on yur sack. Don't let the haters get to you. Come through to brooklyn with those rims and I guarantee you me and u both get brain from 5 different women. Who cares if rims mess up the performance of the car, suppose he just doesnt care about performance and would rather go show. Seems like most of these dudes just talk trash cuz they behind they monitors and they feel big with their 39484393post profiles. Bring that to the streets.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:21 PM

Hey guys don't make fun of his rims. you have to understand that people fed with silverspoons that were dropped alot as a child are too dumb understand the difference between a SUV and a 4 door sedan. Frieken rice boy
Old 02-14-2002, 11:52 PM

Re: 21 inch rims on a lowered max

How is it possible that you put on 21"x9" rims and they don't rub?? My 20's JUST fit and that was with some modification to the rear fender...I've got to see pics to believe.
I know you guys probably won't believe this but I put a set of 21" rims on my max this past weekend. They were 21 x 9 Dronell MO-5's. The tires were 245/35-21 Dunlop SP 9000's. It rode better than my 20's and didn't rub. It only rubbed when I would hit a really hard dip in the road. I have some digital camera pics, but I have to figure out how to post them. Someone e-mail me and help me out so you can see them.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:15 AM

damn... thats too much
Old 02-15-2002, 12:48 PM

Only on the .org

can i go through 4 pages of junk and still not see the pics of the wheels... LOL...

I would say lets see the pics, but that would just encourage another 5 pages of BS...
Old 02-15-2002, 01:05 PM

Re: Only on the .org

Originally posted by MaximaMan
can i go through 4 pages of junk and still not see the pics of the wheels... LOL...

I would say lets see the pics, but that would just encourage another 5 pages of BS...
If you were paying attension, there was a link to the thread with the pics:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=98414
Old 02-15-2002, 01:26 PM

21's are too small for an SUV. 20's need to be factory size for most of these trucks and SUV's now. When you get an SUV now you have to get 22's or better to have your truck look like anything.
Dont worry about him. Most people on here have begun to ignore him.

SuDZ
Old 02-16-2002, 05:58 AM

I've ridden on 23's too, so why don't you tell everybody they suck because you don't like big rims. And what justifies you calling anything ghetto. I'm sorry I lowered myself to your level on this B.S. And some Kenworth's ride on 24's son, so get your facts straight.
Sorry I'm not on me Big Truckin news, I'll have to subscribe. What justifies me calling it ghetto? I looked the word up in the dictionary and it had a thread link to this thread describing 21 inch rims on a max79's lowered maxima being ghetto. Here take a look for yourself---www.websters-dictionary.com/Ghettocar.html
This board is all about people opinions, if you don't like that stop posting. If you dont want people .02 then sell those rims, move out of your mommies house and grow up.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:30 PM

Sorry I'm not on me Big Truckin news, I'll have to subscribe. What justifies me calling it ghetto? I looked the word up in the dictionary and it had a thread link to this thread describing 21 inch rims on a max79's lowered maxima being ghetto. Here take a look for yourself---www.websters-dictionary.com/Ghettocar.html
This board is all about people opinions, if you don't like that stop posting. If you dont want people .02 then sell those rims, move out of your mommies house and grow up.
I don't have time to talk to jealous ***s like you. Put some of your pics up of your Piece of **** max and then you can do some talking. Don't be mad because nobody on your nut sack. Really it's not even about all that, but you need to stop being so jealous. And for one thing I can stay in that house as long as I like because I will be owning that and a six figure business.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:57 PM

Fall back and stop talking trash over the pc. Come to brooklyn and we can discuss ya .02. Why is everyone a bully over the pc?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:20 PM

I'm not being a bully, he chooses to keep responding as you did. I simply respond in return. If any of you want to check the other thread I gave my opinion about the Pics. I'm not going to quote myself that it look far better than I had thought it would. Having my car looking like it was in a rap video isn't my thing. There isn't a jealous word I've said, if you don't like what I write then report me to a moderator.

"And for one thing I can stay in that house as long as I like because I will be owning that and a six figure business".

I'm shocked. I don't know what to say

You want to see my car, there it is.

www.geocities.com/slci30t/I30t
Old 02-16-2002, 05:22 PM

if you can afford $7000 rims why the hell do you have a Maxima..that's just ghetto hahahahaha. Anything else going into the car or is ur bank account dry??

Who said brain from 5 girls in brooklyn hahahaha that's even more ghetto...more like 5 crackheads..

Queens Borough Holler!!!
Old 02-16-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by turb0mikey
if you can afford $7000 rims why the hell do you have a Maxima..that's just ghetto hahahahaha. Anything else going into the car or is ur bank account dry??

Who said brain from 5 girls in brooklyn hahahaha that's even more ghetto...more like 5 crackheads..

Queens Borough Holler!!!
Your turbo why dont u get off his sack and mines?STop riding so hard your not a jockey. Worrying about wat another man does with his money is ridiculous. why dont you come to bk and talk that ghetto nonsense you online thug.

Quick Reply: 21 inch rims on a lowered max