4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 11:48 AM

Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Ok here is what happend.
The left lane was backed up so I didn't want to wait to turn left so I played smart and cut this guy off in a Pontiac and he got really ****ed off at me. He was looking at me all mean. The light turns green and I take my left turn but the right lane is closed so I merge into the left lane.

The guy in the 2-door pontiac switches to the right after he gets into the left lane and he guns it and I am like wait a second no you don't so I give it a lot of gas. About 3/4 of the way with overdrive off. He is about 1 car behind me the whole time and I didn't know if he was serious, but I hit 80 and I was like ok that's it and my girlfriend is sitting there laughing. I let him get next to me and I wave good-bye to him and I hit it and turn overdrive on at 80 and I quickly hit 90-95 and he is 3-4 cars back and he is still going for it trying to catch me.

There was a light up ahead so I slow down but there are cars infront of me. He gets next to me and pulls down his window and my girlfriend is making faces at him. I got a little scared so I pulled the car up so he couldn't see us anymore. He was ****ED. He got beat by a dirty Maxima thinking his 2 door car is a sports car. I have no idea what it was though. I just know it was a Pontiac.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by MaxDriver98
Ok here is what happend.
The left lane was backed up so I didn't want to wait to turn left so I played smart and cut this guy off in a Pontiac and he got really ****ed off at me. He was looking at me all mean. The light turns green and I take my left turn but the right lane is closed so I merge into the left lane.

The guy in the 2-door pontiac switches to the right after he gets into the left lane and he guns it and I am like wait a second no you don't so I give it a lot of gas. About 3/4 of the way with overdrive off. He is about 1 car behind me the whole time and I didn't know if he was serious, but I hit 80 and I was like ok that's it and my girlfriend is sitting there laughing. I let him get next to me and I wave good-bye to him and I hit it and turn overdrive on at 80 and I quickly hit 90-95 and he is 3-4 cars back and he is still going for it trying to catch me.

There was a light up ahead so I slow down but there are cars infront of me. He gets next to me and pulls down his window and my girlfriend is making faces at him. I got a little scared so I pulled the car up so he couldn't see us anymore. He was ****ED. He got beat by a dirty Maxima thinking his 2 door car is a sports car. I have no idea what it was though. I just know it was a Pontiac.
lol that was a good story that mad me laugh
Old 02-15-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by Cashj2002

lol that was a good story that mad me laugh
It made me cry

You should know better that to pick on lowly wannabe sports cars.

It was good that you taught him a lesson, I'm sure he won't be messn' around with Maxi's anymore.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

It was good that you taught him a lesson, I'm sure he won't be messn' around with Maxi's anymore.
Ya, don't pick on the Maxipads, they bleed when you beat em! Grand Am, sure you'll beat him pretty good. But take your autotragic and go play with a GTP and see what happens. Stock vs. Stock you'll have your a$$ handed to you!
Old 02-15-2002, 12:28 PM

yeah...try racing a GTP and see what happens...those things are quick!
Old 02-15-2002, 12:33 PM

I'm your huckleberry, Baby. Hope you don't mind that I have 4 doors, though.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:33 PM

Not quick enough for my nawwwws..
Old 02-15-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
They're also supercharged which, IMO, takes them a class up in a way. They're not N/A like the Max. To make it even, how about supercharged Max vs. GTP (supercharge Grand Prix)? Well, on paper it's more even. On the road, it's a different story. Bye Bye Pontiac.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by amb4081
On the road, it's a different story. Bye Bye Pontiac.
..And what makes you say that? Average quarter mile for stock GTP owners is deep in the 14s. One got a 14.05@101. And why not say supercharged Max against lightly modded GTP? Give the GTP owner a $200 limit for mods.

Bye Bye Maxima.

I'm not here to flame you guys, just encouraging reality.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:52 PM

Not quick enough for my nawwwws..
What's the wager? When are you coming to Colorado?
Old 02-15-2002, 01:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by YDRSBTR
.And what makes you say that? Average quarter mile for stock GTP owners is deep in the 14s. One got a 14.05@101. And why not say supercharged Max against lightly modded GTP? Give the GTP owner a $200 limit for mods. Bye Bye Maxima. I'm not here to flame you guys, just encouraging reality

I've enver seen a stock GTP do better than a 14.8. They usually run 15.0. N/A Vs. S/Ced...
Old 02-15-2002, 01:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by JdawgX

Ya, don't pick on the Maxipads, they bleed when you beat em! Grand Am, sure you'll beat him pretty good. But take your autotragic and go play with a GTP and see what happens. Stock vs. Stock you'll have your a$$ handed to you!
u run @ 5800? 16.4? 84mph? I ran a 16.3 stock @ 5280' @ 88mph.
Darn automatics
Old 02-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by NmexMAX

Darn automatics

First time I ever ran at a track. Horrible 60s!!! 2.6 60ft = crap time! Still stock, wait till april 15th, first test and tune of the year. I'll be there and post times that'll put your little autotragic back in it's place. Hehe. Seriously though, nice times man, especialy for an auto.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:17 PM

Generic is in Colorado and he drives a GTP...talk to him...
Old 02-15-2002, 01:18 PM
SLOW

..And what makes you say that? Average quarter mile for stock GTP owners is deep in the 14s. One got a 14.05@101. And why not say supercharged Max against lightly modded GTP? Give the GTP owner a $200 limit for mods.

Bye Bye Maxima.

How does a stock car trap like 9mph faster than all of its stock counterparts? Even being very liberal, that is to say, if a stock GTP trapped at 95, thats still an extra 6 mph. 9mph at the traps, in the same car, is at least an 80 hp difference.

Quickest stock GTP I've seen personally is 14.8. Quickest I've heard rumor of is 14.4.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by JdawgX

First time I ever ran at a track. Horrible 60s!!! 2.6 60ft = crap time! Still stock, wait till april 15th, first test and tune of the year. I'll be there and post times that'll put your little autotragic back in it's place. Hehe. Seriously though, nice times man, especialy for an auto.
Yea, I know, i'm just venting b/c i dont have 3 pedals.............I'm sure you could run 15's up there, that damn third pedal!
Old 02-15-2002, 01:23 PM

I've enver seen a stock GTP do better than a 14.8. They usually run 15.0. N/A Vs. S/Ced...
At sea level? Forgive me, but 15.0 out of a GTP at sea level means an inexperienced driver and/or sick car.

If you doubt what I'm telling you, click here.

Nice time with the auto, BTW.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

stock-stock a GTP will spank you autos out there... and in another class cuza the SC? hmmm not really in my opinion cuz they get the SC for the same price as we get our cars...

with a few extra bucks you can get alot more from the GTP than the Max by modding the SC...

whateva! hahah its all gravy
Old 02-15-2002, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

At sea level? Forgive me, but 15.0 out of a GTP at sea level means an inexperienced driver and/or sick car.

If you doubt what I'm telling you, click here.

Nice time with the auto, BTW.
I saw it on gp-owners.com
Old 02-15-2002, 01:33 PM
SLOW

I just looked at that thread on clubgp.com. Pretty impressive. GTPs seem to be able to pull sick 60' times with ease. I see them on street tires running 2.0s on occasion whereas I run 2.1s on occasion. I'm in michigan, where this fabled 14.0 second stock GTP is, I'd be interested to know what track he ran at, and who he is/where he's from.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:34 PM

I saw it on gp-owners.com
It's odd that we're looking for numbers on the same site and coming up with different stats.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I just looked at that thread on clubgp.com. Pretty impressive. GTPs seem to be able to pull sick 60' times with ease. I see them on street tires running 2.0s on occasion whereas I run 2.1s on occasion. I'm in michigan, where this fabled 14.0 second stock GTP is, I'd be interested to know what track he ran at, and who he is/where he's from.
The information is all there; I'm not asking you to just "believe me".
Old 02-15-2002, 01:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's odd that we're looking for numbers on the same site and coming up with different stats.
It's all gravy,

I'd get my **** handed to me by a GTP, but let me battle against a GT and we'll see what's up.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:41 PM

It's all gravy,

I'd get my **** handed to me by a GTP, but let me battle against a GT and we'll see what's up.
Hehe, then you should be able to take him pretty good. Either way, a race is a race and it's fun. I win some and lose some, but I always have fun
Old 02-15-2002, 01:42 PM
SLOW

The information is all there; I'm not asking you to just "believe me".
Where? The quickest I see in that thread is 14.19 @ 96.5 with a nice 2.04 60' time.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:44 PM

Bye Bye Maxima.

Maybe I came across confusing...Here is what I mean...A maxima is a N/A 3.0 liter. A GTP is a SUPERCHARGED 3.8 liter. Pontiac had to supercharge a bigger engine to produce a car as quick and quicker (depending on who's driving either car). A plain old Maxima supercharged with a plain old GTP (which is supercharged) would be crying uncle by the end of a race. Yeah mods for a supercharged car have much more effect on a car than on a N/A car. If both cars are supercharged with similar mods in addtion to that, the Pontiac is toast. That's all I'm saying. And ours cost more (compared to a GTP) without a supercharger because we have a great engine, reliability, and better interior IMO. Just my .02.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Where? The quickest I see in that thread is 14.19 @ 96.5 with a nice 2.04 60' time.
Superman

Buffalo, New York
USA
Forum member since: 11/08/2001

Posted - 02/08/2002 : 12:41:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there was the guy that ran the 14.05 at like 101 mph with the headlight out and changed the tire pressure and in Michigan so Im guessing at roughly sea level or slightly higher. I imagine that even with the headlight and tire pressure stock that the car would run very low 14's still. Theres probably a few low 14 second freaks out there, 14.5 is pretty darn good too. I think a lot of stock GTP's would be capable of this if people would give them a few more runs. People just run their stock car a few times and then start modding it without really getting the best time possible out of it. I can't really blame them though, it can be hard to keep your car stock for so long
Old 02-15-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by amb4081

They're also supercharged which, IMO, takes them a class up in a way. They're not N/A like the Max. To make it even, how about supercharged Max vs. GTP (supercharge Grand Prix)? Well, on paper it's more even. On the road, it's a different story. Bye Bye Pontiac.
SC AND A LITTLE NAWWWS IS ALL IT TAKES TO R*PE ALL GTP'S. Bye the way I would not travel to non-colored rado if you payed me. Maximas have the speed and the looks.

GTP

Old 02-15-2002, 01:52 PM

SC AND A LITTLE NAWWWS IS ALL IT TAKES TO R*PE ALL GTP'S. Bye the way I would not travel to non-colored rado if you payed me. Maximas have the speed and the looks.

GTP

Wow, this thread just took a downhill turn. When you grow up you can come and have a conversation at the big persons table. But for now you have to go back and sit at the kids table ok?

And you say that's all you need to beat ALL of them??? Think again, what if they run "NAWWS", aka, NO2, what then? Then the Max gets beat again!

Yes, the Max is a quick car, and has decent looks, but it's not the fastest or the best looking car out there. Sorry to burst your bubble man.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:56 PM

GTP

I will pay you if you can come to Colorado and rape my GTP.

The Max is a very nice car. No doubt about that. But in terms of *****-out acceleration, you guys unfortunately have the disadvantage. Nothing against you or the Max; it's just a fact. My car was just born with bigger *****. Blame genetics.

And I still am waiting for conclusive evidence as to why a Pontiac vs. a Maxima with the "same mods" gives the win to the Maxima every time.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

I will pay you if you can come to Colorado and rape my GTP.

The Max is a very nice car. No doubt about that. But in terms of *****-out acceleration, you guys unfortunately have the disadvantage. Nothing against you or the Max; it's just a fact. My car was just born with bigger *****. Blame genetics.

And I still am waiting for conclusive evidence as to why a Pontiac vs. a Maxima with the "same mods" gives the win to the Maxima every time.
Know anyone who has swapped the GTP engine to the GT?
Old 02-15-2002, 02:01 PM

Nope. Although - and this may be of interest to you - there's a centrifugal supercharger on the verge of completion for the GT models that is amazing even us GTPers. The higher compression ratio and the increased efficiency of the CSC is making the test GT haul *** quite nicely.

And I can tell the question is going to come eventually; the differences between the GT and GTP engines are big enough that it's not as simple as swapping out the SC. Yes, a complete engine/tranny/PCM swap would be necessary.

The CSC for the GT is by far the better bet.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Nope. Although - and this may be of interest to you - there's a centrifugal supercharger on the verge of completion for the GT models that is amazing even us GTPers. The higher compression ratio and the increased efficiency of the CSC is making the test GT haul *** quite nicely.

And I can tell the question is going to come eventually; the differences between the GT and GTP engines are big enough that it's not as simple as swapping out the SC. Yes, a complete engine/tranny/PCM swap would be necessary.

The CSC for the GT is by far the better bet.
My friend had a GP-GT, and went through 4 engines in 5 months. 1 engine was N/A and the others were GTP/Rivera engines, talk about stealthy, he'd pull up to an unsuspecting victim with his grand prix gt badging and with his intake on that s/ced engine WoW sounded really me

Yeah, I was reading that thread not too long ago. my buddy swpped a L68 for a L36, 3 times. yea, 9.6:1 to 8.5:1 is it? we tried swappimg jus the charger, but the heads are differnt, meaning one of the engines(not sure which) has the inectors on the heads, and the other on the intake manifold. we did it 4 times, and he had bad luck everytime. He did blow one of the s/ced engines racing me though yeah, running the same boost on the 9.6:1 engine would not be good for that engines well being. Also, he tried using the gt tranny in there too, didnt work well, but when he swapped trannies, it was kinda kewl.\

And now my 1 of my closest friends just got a 2k1 gt, we always race **butt, well, that's all he sees on my car

He still didn't have everthing set up perfect, b/c when he raced a real GTP, he'd lose. He raped me from a dead stop, but on a roll, I stayed surprisingly even w/ him.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:13 PM

See...? This is better. Thanks for saving a thread that could easily have gotten ugly.

Why the hell was your friend blowing so many engines? Is that operator error or what? The 3.8L V6 is one of the must durable and reliable engines currently in existence. The 4T60/65 transmissions, on the other hand...
Old 02-15-2002, 02:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

yeah, i like being more mature than that, and the GTP MAx conflict has been goin on for a while now. anyways, the fisrt engine was N/A, and he raced a friend and took it up way too far(~6200 rpms), and we stopped racing and it knocked like he//, he spun a rod bearing. the second, same thing, too hi of rpms, the third, was when he raced me, again, he took the limiter off so he topped out 2nd gear again, the third was the best and strongest engine, but was sad b/c he blew it because the wrong part # on an oil filter. He went down the block, car died, and there was oil everywhere, the internals of the engine were blue, indication of exsessive heat perhaps? the trannies bolt up to either engine, but dont hold up well against either.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
I ran into one almost a couple of months ago. It was a red GTP w/ a female driver. We were both entering the freeway and she cut me off using the car-pool lane on the off ramp. I got ****ed so I decided to gun in too and she didn't pull that much on me. Fast? If it's SC'ed, I would have expected it to pull much faster but it didn't.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Darn automatics
14.923@92.73.. .Bandimere... avg... 15.0...

VERY lightly modded.. I'll see you guys up tehre this year!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by SillePimp

I ran into one almost a couple of months ago. It was a red GTP w/ a female driver. We were both entering the freeway and she cut me off using the car-pool lane on the off ramp. I got ****ed so I decided to gun in too and she didn't pull that much on me. Fast? If it's SC'ed, I would have expected it to pull much faster but it didn't.
GTP's are weak on the high end stock.. :-( Max's have a FAR easier time w/ the more common GT version. as for us need ing more engine and a SC to keep up... maybe due to the fact that the GTP is heavier and is an auto that takes second gear to 95mph..... I like maxima's.. I just chose the GTP for it's extra oompg down low.... Ya know.. the stuff that benefits you better from stoplight to stoplight since I life in a city..
Old 02-18-2002, 12:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Raced a 2 door Pontiac

Originally posted by IH8RICE

I'll see you guys up tehre this year!!!!!
In your rearview

But not my younger brother, the 2k2 ..........
Old 02-19-2002, 12:06 PM

...I don't know of any 2K2 Maxes running in the 14s at Bandi stock...

Quick Reply: Raced a 2 door Pontiac