4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did Tune Up / Question about Hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:37 AM

Did Tune Up / Question about Hose

First, I would like to give props to www.motorvate.ca and www.maximadriver.com for their tutorials. Also bought a Hayne's Manual. Great investment. $14.99 from Autozone. I worked on my car for the first real time this weekend (other than an oil change). Replaced the spark plugs (man was that upper right one hard to get to), cleaned the throttle body, fuel filter, air filter, and oil change. I must admit, it made a big difference. Car pulls much harder now and generally rides better. I had a problem with my idle (~500 RPMs) beforehand that is now gone. After cleaning my throttle body, the old white teeshirt I was using was black. What worked well for me was to saturate the shirt with cleaner, and while holding the butterfly valve open, use the end of a toothbrush and push a portion of the shirt through the opening and work it around a little bit. Got a lot of junk out that way. To get that last spark plug, had to take out the brown plastic piece (don't know the name of it) above it. Almost impossible to get to it without doing it. Hoses on the fuel filer would not come off, so I had to use a hair dryer to warm them up, then they come off no problem. I know this won't be much use to the experts on the forum, but I thought maybe a newbie might could get some use out of it. Next oil change, I'm going to tackle draining the transmission fluid and changing the filter. Now, on to the question I have. The crankcase ventilation tube which connects to the air intake resonator, has another smaller tube that is held in place to it by a plastic piece. Is this smaller tube supposed to connect to anything or just kind of point downward? (which is what mine is doing now) Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:29 AM

Thats correct, that hose points down and goes nowhere. Great to see you are doing your own work.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:20 AM

It's the trans breather tube...like eric said it's supposed to connect to nothing.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:31 AM

Thanks

Thanks guys. I didn't really see anywhere else for it to go, but I thought I'd ask for piece of mind.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Good job HSVMaxima. Thanks for that tip about the hair dryer and the fuel filter hoses. A lot of guys have a hard time getting them off.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey what type of cleaner did you use on the throttle body?...I have never cleaned it and myabe it is time......
Old 02-19-2002, 08:14 AM

Some might question this, but I went to Wal-Mart and bought carb cleaner that came in a black can for 77 cents. I think it's Wal-Mart brand something 2000. Anyhow, I read the back and it talked about using it for Fuel Injected cars and TB maintance so I figured it was safe. However, to be on the safe side, I never sprayed the can directly into the throttle body unless the butterfly valve was closed. To clean inside the TB I saturated a teeshirt and used it as stated above.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by HSVMaxima
Some might question this, but I went to Wal-Mart and bought carb cleaner that came in a black can for 77 cents. I think it's Wal-Mart brand something 2000. Anyhow, I read the back and it talked about using it for Fuel Injected cars and TB maintance so I figured it was safe. However, to be on the safe side, I never sprayed the can directly into the throttle body unless the butterfly valve was closed. To clean inside the TB I saturated a teeshirt and used it as stated above.
thanks a lot, i never cleaned in there and i figure it might be time for it....