4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Waxing My Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:29 PM

Waxing My Max

im using mothers carnuba wax and i never got the sponge thingy with it...but the way the can looks, the top part of the cna is formed in a way that looks like the circular sponge should be in the can....also there is som extra space int ehc an when i opened it up so i think someone took that spnge.....does anyone else use this wax...it so u guys will be able to tell me if i need that spnge....

my other question is....

every time i was my car the next day i can run my finger down my hood and see my finger mark.....but that was when i was using the liquid wax....i donno if that matters or not.. so today i decided to buy the paste wax to see if it is any better.......am i not waxing the car right??? al my other friends that was their car and show me the next day they never seem to have the same problem as me....what am i doingn wrong.....thanks guys, Tom
Old 02-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You do not need a wax sponge. I used to work for a detailer and even there I was told to use a soft, clean cloth. Waxing is very simple, you rub it in circurlarily ("Wax on, wax off"). Do not apply pressure, but make sure you let it DRY. Wipe off circularily as well. Then use a polishing cloth and rub circularily until it starts shining. When you're done, spray the car down with a mist of cold water. This will bring out the shine and in the process of drying you will take off clumps of wax. If you do it like this you will not see your finger mark.
-Cyrus
Old 02-18-2002, 06:06 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

btw, the mother's carnuaba tin doesn't come with a sponge.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:27 PM
FJC

You should really look into 3M Wax. They are the detailing industry standard. All of their products are good. Give it a shot...
Old 02-18-2002, 06:32 PM

how long should we allow for the wax to dry??
Old 02-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Vyrus, nice job with the explanation! Most guys don't know the mist of cold water at the end trick. That sets up the wax nice and hard. The Mothers carnuba is pretty good. I used it for about a year. Then I discovered Zaion. Now thats some good $hit!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
You do not need a wax sponge. I used to work for a detailer and even there I was told to use a soft, clean cloth. Waxing is very simple, you rub it in circurlarily ("Wax on, wax off"). Do not apply pressure, but make sure you let it DRY. Wipe off circularily as well. Then use a polishing cloth and rub circularily until it starts shining. When you're done, spray the car down with a mist of cold water. This will bring out the shine and in the process of drying you will take off clumps of wax. If you do it like this you will not see your finger mark.
-Cyrus
So after polishing the car, you spray the mist of cold water. Then do you dry that off too, or allow it to air dry? If you dry it off, what do you use? Just a soft towel? Or a chamois type thing? Being that my Maxima is black, I am always looking for ways to get the highest gloss after washing and waxing.
-Tony
Old 02-18-2002, 10:13 PM

Never heard of the mist trick. Gonna try it next time. Now I just need a warm day.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:20 PM
EZ

I waxed my car in early December and the water still beads off the car now. I used P21s and this stuff is great! My car still shines brightly. I highly recommend it. Next time, I'll try a clay bar too.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:12 PM

yeah i was wondering the same thing

Originally posted by araffio

So after polishing the car, you spray the mist of cold water. Then do you dry that off too, or allow it to air dry? If you dry it off, what do you use? Just a soft towel? Or a chamois type thing? Being that my Maxima is black, I am always looking for ways to get the highest gloss after washing and waxing.
-Tony
Old 02-19-2002, 12:24 PM

One word ZAINO!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by JdawgX
One word ZAINO!!!!
Now is it the kind you gotta order or the Wal-Mart kind? Is there a difference? I think once my other waxes run out I might try it but curious.

SuDZ
Old 02-19-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Now is it the kind you gotta order or the Wal-Mart kind? Is there a difference? I think once my other waxes run out I might try it but curious.

SuDZ
http://www.zainobros.com/

It's pricy, but well worth it. It'll out do anything on the market.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:25 PM
FJC

Try 3M.....
Old 02-21-2002, 07:12 AM

The "I love Zaino" mantra on miata.net is endless and the accompanying photos support it. There is a great deal of initial prep work, but subsequent maintenance appears to be easy. Additionally, the owner (I believe his name is Sal) is quite helpful.

I'm too cheap to spring for Zaino on either car.

I found the "wipe in circular motions" suggestion interesting. I have heard you should leave that task to a random orbital buffer unless you want swirl marks. The Max is silver, so it doesn't' show swirl marks as readily as the red Miata, but, when performing any cleaning on either car, I only go in one, straight direction.

I've never worked in the detailing profession, so YMMV.

Brett C

'99 Sterling Mist SE 5-spd
Courtesy FSTB, fog light mod and nothing else
Old 02-21-2002, 09:39 AM

when i dry it can i use a chamos and do i dry it liek i would normally dry my car or do i have to do it a certain way???????

Originally posted by Vyrus
-Cyrus