4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Removing bolts

Hey everyone,
What is the best way to remove a bolt that seems to be rusted on? I am trying to remove them from the cat to install my STS but it seems like they are rusted on there real good. I mean to the point where when I was tryign to pull on the wrench I was draggin myself across the garage floor.

I tried spraying a ton of the rust eater stuff on there the other day but no go. Doesnt wanna move still. So here is the question... How would you try to remove them? I was thinking the next step is a torch, and I think I might have one at my hosue. I have never used them but my dad has, either way what is the best way to use it to remove a bolt etc? Curious cause if I get my catback then try to install it at least they will be a bit easier to remove next time.

SuDZ
Old 02-19-2002, 03:48 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I think the torch will work but I've never tried it myself...

See if you can get someone to use an impact wrench on it... It works much better than 'elbow grease' and won't strip the nuts/bolts.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Lefty-Loosey works for me.

Try some penetrating oil and let is soak in for a few hours. And try using a breaker bar. But make sure you support the nut-end of the bar so you don't break the bolt in half or strip the nut.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:29 PM
1st97SE

If you are planning on getting a catback system soon, I highly recommend waiting to do the STS and exhaust at the same time. I just installed my exhaust and STS with a friend yesterday on a 1997, and the bolts were rusted beyond breaking. We ended up using an electric saw and cutting the exhaust pipe at the rear axle and ripping the whole exhaust down in two pieces. We then had to cut the bolts at the cat. We tried WD-40, Liquid Wrench, a torch, a breaker bar; nothing worked. Good luck! Any ?'s reply or send me a personal message.

1st97SE

Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Rit

I find that if you can get it cherry red with a

torchm then this will break the rust, and then allow you to loosen it. Make sure you sure a six-point socket on tough nuts, or else you will surely strip it.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:44 PM

My cat bolts were so stuck no matter how much leverage I used it didnt want to go. The air impact wrench idea is the best. However, I did use a road flare successfully to get a rusted cat stud unstuck.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:00 PM

yo sudz

be freaking careful man, i broke one of those. course most of you are probably aware of the high quality work i do to achieve my end results. and once it comes off the first time, its not hard to get back off, dont worry about doing the catback later.

justin

also, pvc pipes do not work as breaker bars. nor does tying a rope to the breaker bar and pulling the rope. i am an idiot. live and learn.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Use a breaker bar. Either it will bust loose or it will just break off.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Take it to a shop with air tool and have them break the bolts loose for you, then finish the job yourself.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:10 PM

Dallas at Warpspeed was talking to me for a little bit today when I was ordering my y-pipe and he was telling me about removing it using a torch if I had access to that, if not, try to take them off when the converter is hot right after driving the car for sometime. Something about heat tends to expend and loosen them up. I guess I'm taking his for word for it if he's writing the y-pipe installs.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Removing bolts

Originally posted by SuDZ
Hey everyone,
What is the best way to remove a bolt that seems to be rusted on? I am trying to remove them from the cat to install my STS but it seems like they are rusted on there real good. I mean to the point where when I was tryign to pull on the wrench I was draggin myself across the garage floor.

I tried spraying a ton of the rust eater stuff on there the other day but no go. Doesnt wanna move still. So here is the question... How would you try to remove them? I was thinking the next step is a torch, and I think I might have one at my hosue. I have never used them but my dad has, either way what is the best way to use it to remove a bolt etc? Curious cause if I get my catback then try to install it at least they will be a bit easier to remove next time.

SuDZ
Hey if u are just doing a STS you do not need to remove the catback. Just simply remove the heat sheild around the cat and you can do it. I have done many STS and never droped the exhaust. My .02
Old 02-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

When I come across rusted bolts I would get my rubber-head hammer and smack my ratchet wrench handle while I'm torquing it. The vibrations will help break loose the rust. Try it. Works for me.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:29 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the tips. I will try them tommorow.

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

HEAT Make it glow RED and it will come off like butter.

And make sure you use a 6 point socket.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:25 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

This has always worked for me (and I've done several complete exhaust swaps on Maxima's):

If you come across a bolt that's rusted in place, tighten it. You should hear a loud crack or popping sound, that's you breaking the bolt loose.

After that it should come right off.

Never failed me once.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:29 AM

I'm surprised that nobody else knows this trick. My godfather who is a mechanic showed me this. take a torch heat up the bolt until its glowing red hot and then spray it with cold water. The heat will make it contract and the water will make it expand (or is it the other way around) but it works.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:33 AM

FLAME ON!!!!

when i had my y-pipe put in it was so rusted that they almost had to torch it out. But some muscle head hit big fingers took it out. Torch is the best. but remember take it to someone you can sue!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 08:14 AM

do you want the bolts? I always replace them, use a die grinder and hack it off. If you for some reason need them, use a cuttin torch, with little oxygen and just heat it (wear gloves). I use some stuff called aerokroil, best penetrant i've ever seen. Its never failed me yet.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Tubbed'65
do you want the bolts? I always replace them, use a die grinder and hack it off. If you for some reason need them, use a cuttin torch, with little oxygen and just heat it (wear gloves). I use some stuff called aerokroil, best penetrant i've ever seen. Its never failed me yet.
Where do you get the replacement bolts? Just take them to Home depot and find others it's size?

SuDZ
Old 02-21-2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875
If you come across a bolt that's rusted in place, tighten it. You should hear a loud crack or popping sound, that's you breaking the bolt loose.

After that it should come right off.

Never failed me once.
Huh, I will have to remember that one. It seems so basic yet makes alot of sence. I will give that a shot next time (which will probably be soon again anyway)

SuDZ