4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can i install my own clutch and do i need one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 06:08 PM

Can i install my own clutch and do i need one?

search wasnt too much help, mostly where to buys... anyway, if i can do that in a weekend, id like to try, couldnt find any how2s either. What are the bets that i will need one if i run a 50 shot?
Old 02-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When your clutch slips you need a new one. Until then go on enjoying your clutch Most people will recommend the ACT HDMM from Phuong, but some will also say Centerforce (My4DSC). If you're worried about the clutch job I would go ahead and pay for it because it can cause plenty of problems down the line if done incorrectly. It's also not the first thing to learn to do, and you need jack stands. I say play with your NOS and do your clutch when the time comes. You'll definitely know when it's slipping especially with the N2O.
-hype
Old 02-19-2002, 07:55 PM

come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

need more opinions. 45 days... if no clutch needed.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:06 AM

Re: come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

Originally posted by Justin95SE
need more opinions. 45 days... if no clutch needed.
I'm looking to do my clutch when the time comes......i have done some other motor stuff before...nothing really above 2 stars on a 4 star scale....if i can do it myself then i will do ACT if not then i will have my shop do the o.e.m....

is this something a slightly knowledgeable dIY can do??
Old 04-20-2002, 03:26 AM

Re: Re: come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

Originally posted by rguida

I'm looking to do my clutch when the time comes......i have done some other motor stuff before...nothing really above 2 stars on a 4 star scale....if i can do it myself then i will do ACT if not then i will have my shop do the o.e.m....

is this something a slightly knowledgeable dIY can do??
Just curious - why would you let DIY vs. paying a shop determine which part you get?

Go with the ACT street clutch, regardless.

-my .02 cents
Old 04-20-2002, 05:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Just curious - why would you let DIY vs. paying a shop determine which part you get?

Go with the ACT street clutch, regardless.

-my .02 cents
because not everyone is made of money is the main reason. Me, like other people im sure do not have an infinite amount of money to spend and have to let decisions like doing it myself or a shop determine my choices.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

Originally posted by rguida

because not everyone is made of money is the main reason. Me, like other people im sure do not have an infinite amount of money to spend and have to let decisions like doing it myself or a shop determine my choices.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one could pick up the ACT clutch for about the same or less than the OEM clutch, if one were to shop around.

That (mis?)understanding was the context of my original comment.

Certainly didn't mean to imply anyone's made of $. -Just that if you could get a stronger, better clutch than the OEM for about the same $, I can't see why you wouldn't. . .that's all.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:27 AM

Its not that difficult to install a clutch. Its only a ***** taking the tranny off, but its easy. When I had my tranny off during the swap, it took me maybe a half hour to put the clutch on along with the pressure plate and cleaning of the flywheel. Then again, if you dont have any tools and a good jack, you'll spend as much as at a shop, but you'll keep the tools in the end.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: come on guys, this is gonna make me or break me

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one could pick up the ACT clutch for about the same or less than the OEM clutch, if one were to shop around.

That (mis?)understanding was the context of my original comment.

Certainly didn't mean to imply anyone's made of $. -Just that if you could get a stronger, better clutch than the OEM for about the same $, I can't see why you wouldn't. . .that's all.
dont worry dude i didnt take any implications there, just stating point. yeah one of the reasons i want to do the clutch is the money i save maybe going to those tools which ill be able to use again and again.