4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I will ask again

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 10:40 PM

I will ask again

I have asked this before but noone answered. So here it goes, How do you read an EGT gauge? I mean I know what the temp range from with and w/o boost, but what exactly do they mean? At idle I'm at somewhere between 200-250 deg. Then after the car warms up, I can range from 400-800 deg. depending on throttle position. Under boost, if pushed hard, it can go as high as 1000 deg. What does this mean to me? I have done the search thru and thru, and nothing about how to read it. Tons on how to install, where to install, and even where to buy and how much to pay for one, but not a single sentence or link on how to read it. Can someone please step up and tell me. Everyone says to get one when running N20, but noone has said (other than it's purpose) what it will tell you (other than the obvious)?.....
Old 02-19-2002, 10:58 PM

Hey jaimie the right person to talk to about this is Ramius83 aka erik.I think he has one istalled in his ride.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE
Hey jaimie the right person to talk to about this is Ramius83 aka erik.I think he has one istalled in his ride.
Appreciate it, but I have posted the same question in the S.E. forum which is where I met ramius83, as a matter of fact he and I talked for a while at a recent meet, but noone has answered there. That's why I'm posting here and there as well....again. Appreciate you trying to help though.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Appreciate it, but I have posted the same question in the S.E. forum which is where I met ramius83, as a matter of fact he and I talked for a while at a recent meet, but noone has answered there. That's why I'm posting here and there as well....again. Appreciate you trying to help though.
Well keep looking around on here. Tons of information you just gotta find it.

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 12:15 AM

ok..here's how to read an EGT gauge....

the gauge senses only exhaust temperature...so the hotter it gets...the leaner you are running....the cooler it is..the richer you are running...the best way to get an accurate reading is to do a WOT run from 0-80 mph after the car has sufficiently warmed up....and note the temperature near the END of the 0-80 run..if I remember correctly a exhaust temp of 800 degrees is about stoch....1000 is pushing a bit lean...and 600 is pushing a bit rich....I could be wrong...
Old 02-20-2002, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
ok..here's how to read an EGT gauge....

the gauge senses only exhaust temperature...so the hotter it gets...the leaner you are running....the cooler it is..the richer you are running...the best way to get an accurate reading is to do a WOT run from 0-80 mph after the car has sufficiently warmed up....and note the temperature near the END of the 0-80 run..if I remember correctly a exhaust temp of 800 degrees is about stoch....1000 is pushing a bit lean...and 600 is pushing a bit rich....I could be wrong...
thank you. I figured something like that but was not completely sure. I'm just concerned since I have no baseline figures to go by. I have tried to do a search in several forums but like I stated, lots of info about egt but just none at all on what the read-out means. Thanks for the help, I'll keep trying to get confirmation on your numbers somehow, but it seems like there aren't a lot of people who may know for sure. I appreciate the help and atleast it gives me something to start with.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:41 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I think 1000 is quite a bit lean... on NOS I never go over 820, and I know some people on boost don't go over 800... I think turbomax95 blew a head gasket at 870 or so on boost... Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:21 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

You guys are talking about Celsius (sp?), right?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
I think 1000 is quite a bit lean... on NOS I never go over 820, and I know some people on boost don't go over 800... I think turbomax95 blew a head gasket at 870 or so on boost... Hope this helps.
Well I'm in trouble then, because I've seen the gauge go to 1000 under boost. How can I make the mix richer? Should I get a higher volume fuel pump? Is there anything that I can do to avoid being on the lean side, since I know that's where trouble waits?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:38 AM

what about regular driving??? mine stays around 8 hehe... and when i race on the high way during weekend...i max out to like 15 and it actually go pass that hehe... those are x1000 i guess that's normal right?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:42 AM
ejj

Originally posted by AznStevie
what about regular driving??? mine stays around 8 hehe... and when i race on the high way during weekend...i max out to like 15 and it actually go pass that hehe... those are x1000 i guess that's normal right?
Guys...please use units! EGT guages are made in both C and F, and I think its confusing a lot of people.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Guys...please use units! EGT guages are made in both C and F, and I think its confusing a lot of people.
Well you're right, but do you think that anything, let alone an exhaust, would hold 1000 deg Celsius? My gauge is in Farenheit.

I'm getting confused a little bit here. If the other gentleman is running, i assume not under boost, around 1500 F wouldn't that be extremely lean and have caused him to have engine problems? or are the numbers we are mentioning off? I know that my car, after warm-up, under normal throttle @ 60 mph is running something like 575-600 F and under "spirited" type of driving I could run about 800-900 F at WOT.

My car seems to be running good. No idle problems, no apparent problems right now, so I don't have any reason to think that it is running anything more than stock. I have to note here that my CEL just came on today, but I suspect is going to be my O2 sensor since I just installed the NOS setup and it's probably playing havoc with the O2 sensors, which I planned to change out anyway to avoid faulty readings on old sensors.

I am just trying to keep from blowing up something.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Every car is different and where you EGT probe is on the exhaust will result in different readings. Best way is to cross reference it on a dyno that has a wideband O2 sensor or an a/f ratio gas analyzer. Take note on what readings you get at WOT around 85-95mph. Whatever your 1/4 mile trap speed. Obviously, if you going 140mph, the EGT will be higher too.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:31 AM
ejj

Well you're right, but do you think that anything, let alone an exhaust, would hold 1000 deg Celsius? My gauge is in Farenheit.

I'm getting confused a little bit here. If the other gentleman is running, i assume not under boost, around 1500 F wouldn't that be extremely lean and have caused him to have engine problems? or are the numbers we are mentioning off? I know that my car, after warm-up, under normal throttle @ 60 mph is running something like 575-600 F and under "spirited" type of driving I could run about 800-900 F at WOT.

My car seems to be running good. No idle problems, no apparent problems right now, so I don't have any reason to think that it is running anything more than stock. I have to note here that my CEL just came on today, but I suspect is going to be my O2 sensor since I just installed the NOS setup and it's probably playing havoc with the O2 sensors, which I planned to change out anyway to avoid faulty readings on old sensors.

I am just trying to keep from blowing up something.
1000F is just fine.

I think turbomax's problems occured at 850C. Its typlically considered to be bad if your EGT gets to around 800C, which is in the neighborhood off 1500F.

This is why we use units
Old 02-20-2002, 11:41 AM

1000F is just fine.

I think turbomax's problems occured at 850C. Its typlically considered to be bad if your EGT gets to around 800C, which is in the neighborhood off 1500F.

This is why we use units
My bad, math was a little off- cheap calculators- So, what you are saying is that I'm running actually on the rich side, which is ok for a nitrous application (other than possibly not running as strong as I could)? I'd rather be on the rich side than the lean side right? I will tune it in gradually, but for now it's ok to run on the rich side (if that's what you're saying I'm running now) right?.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 AM
ejj

My bad, math was a little off- cheap calculators- So, what you are saying is that I'm running actually on the rich side, which is ok for a nitrous application (other than possibly not running as strong as I could)? I'd rather be on the rich side than the lean side right? I will tune it in gradually, but for now it's ok to run on the rich side (if that's what you're saying I'm running now) right?.
Yeah, 1000F is approx. 525C. That's a little rich. You are correct in thinking that a little rich is better than lean. Less power, but much safer for the motor.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:18 PM

Yeah, 1000F is approx. 525C. That's a little rich. You are correct in thinking that a little rich is better than lean. Less power, but much safer for the motor.
appreciate it....to everyone that answered...