4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bosch Platinum +4....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 08:13 AM

Bosch Platinum +4....

Hello-

My 97 SE is getting around that point where I should get new spark plugs. I was thinking about picking up a set of the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Has anybody had experience with these in the 4th generation Maximas? Would you recommend them or recommend something else?

Any info in terms of performance/longevity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 02-19-2002, 08:14 AM

I tried these in my 1993 SE (VE30DE) for a while and they were total crap, the car missed at idle everytime I stopped at a light. I would never put them in my VQ, stick with the NGKs.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:20 AM

Okay, I feel dumb.

I just did a search of this forums and pulled up a couple prior threads regarding the Bosch plugs.

I'll have to remember from now on to do that _before_ posting a new thread.

Just figured I'd flame myself before someone else did.

-Dan
Old 02-19-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by dnoah333
Okay, I feel dumb.

I just did a search of this forums and pulled up a couple prior threads regarding the Bosch plugs.

I'll have to remember from now on to do that _before_ posting a new thread.

-Dan
At least you are trying Stick with NGK's
Old 02-19-2002, 08:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Okay, I feel dumb.

-Dan
I like this guy already.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Bosch Platinum +4....

Hello-

My 97 SE is getting around that point where I should get new spark plugs. I was thinking about picking up a set of the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Has anybody had experience with these in the 4th generation Maximas? Would you recommend them or recommend something else?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
I wouldn't say the Bosch Platinum +4's are crap. I have them in my ride now, had them for about a year. Look at my 1/4 mile times in my sig pic. I will be going back to the Stock NGK's because I noticed a slight drop in performance on the low end.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:27 AM

Same here. Tried Boch Platinum +4 and had not problems either.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:48 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Recently put Bosch "Super" Copper plugs in theblue's car. Felt good, smooth.

Time will tell, but we didn't notice any real differences.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:41 PM
csnow

Hello-

Thanks in advance,

Dan
I put these plugs (Bosch 4 tipped) in and did a full tune up myself.........felt fine for about two months..........went to my mechanic who is a close friend.........he pulled the car into the bay ....pulled the plugs himself (all 6) and put them right back in for me...tested the car...still missing..... then ordered factory plugs from Nissan... put the plugs in and the car was running like a dream!!!!!!!!

Do what you want to... but the recommendation is to keep the factory plugs in....aftermarket parts usually cause some sorta problem at some point in time

Old 02-19-2002, 02:51 PM

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BUY NGK DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:00 PM

Even if your car starts and seems to run fine, if you don't go NGK, you will always wonder if there is a performance loss. Given the problems others have had with non-OEM plugs, you clearly have incentive for putting out the cash. I figure it's only every 60k miles so that is not a lot to pay for piece of mind.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:10 PM

I had the Boch Platinum +4, I would not use then again I had to go the dealer to get some NGK now my car run better then before. I say stick to the OEM spark plugs.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:58 PM

I put Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in about 42,000 miles ago. I haven't had a single problem with them yet.

Old 02-19-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Rooster286
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BUY NGK DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here we go again....i had the fours in my 97 se.....after 1 month two of the plugs when i pulled them back out had oil coming up through the seals....switched back to the EXPENSIVE laser type and it is back to normal.....

guess nissan did it right the first time!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 07:56 PM

Hello-

Thanks in advance,

Dan

What about Split Fire Plantinum 3? Are they any good?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

95 GLE

i got 95 maxima and when i went to nissan the dude said that i have this old style coil system and that if i change my plugs, i MIGHT have to change all that, plus i don't know if i got NGK in my car right now....i think i got some copper plugs, i doubt they are platinum so if i do put the NGK in, can i just buy em and put them in or do i have to change a lot and stuff? also how big of a difference in performance will i get?
Old 02-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Sports Button FTW

bump this sh*t...someone answer this question for me please...i seriously remember someone telling me i don't have PLATINUM sparks...so am i going to get a stronger hit off the lows? someone answer my question above and this one also...please...cause sparks are like the cheapest modifications out and if what u guys say is word, then i'm done
Old 02-20-2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
bump this sh*t...someone answer this question for me please...i seriously remember someone telling me i don't have PLATINUM sparks...so am i going to get a stronger hit off the lows? someone answer my question above and this one also...please...cause sparks are like the cheapest modifications out and if what u guys say is word, then i'm done
mine came with factory ngk platinum so you probably have them too
Old 02-20-2002, 05:52 AM

Re: 95 GLE

i got 95 maxima and when i went to nissan the dude said that i have this old style coil system and that if i change my plugs, i MIGHT have to change all that, plus i don't know if i got NGK in my car right now....i think i got some copper plugs, i doubt they are platinum so if i do put the NGK in, can i just buy em and put them in or do i have to change a lot and stuff? also how big of a difference in performance will i get?
That dude you spoke to is a doofus. If he thinks you have an old style coil system in your car, he should be working for Nissan. How many times have you ever heard of someone changing a lot of stuff when changing plugs? Changing your plugs is an easy job. You need to go out an buy a 12" extenstion for your ratchet set though because the plugs are set deep into the head. Just make sure you don't over tighten them. What I do is tighten them until I feel resistance and then stop. Get the fact from the Org before you talk to some fool in a Nissan shop. The info you got is a shame to the automotive world.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:30 AM
ejj

Re: 95 GLE

If you want to know if you have copper plugs or platinum, just look. If you take the plug out the part number will be stamped on the white part of the pulg.

If its a NGK plug and starts with a P is platinum, if it starts with a B it copper.

A spark plug is a spark plug. You should be able to use any (that are the right size and heat range) on the max. Copper, Platinum, etc, won't effect performance, just longevity of the plug.

I've got NGK copper plugs and you couldn't tell they aren't platinum unless I told you.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Sports Button FTW

so copper and platinum are the same? all u get is longetivity?! no extra performance? no stronger spark?! no quicker acceleration by even a little bit?! man, then there is no reason for me changing mine if that's the case.........
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Bosch Platinum +4....

Originally posted by tvn_1010

What about Split Fire Plantinum 3? Are they any good?
Splitfire plugs are Autolite plugs that a new ground strap has been welded on. Stay away from them. Bosch plugs are known for the smallest amount of platinum on the plugs. They will not last and your performance will suffer at some point. Do yourself a favor and stick with only NGK or Denso.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:51 AM
ejj

so copper and platinum are the same? all u get is longetivity?! no extra performance? no stronger spark?! no quicker acceleration by even a little bit?! man, then there is no reason for me changing mine if that's the case.........
Truth be told you get better performance with Copper plugs. However you will never notice this difference on a Maxima. I have copper plugs because there so damn cheap. $1.99 each compared to $6+. So now I have to change mine ever 20-30k miles. Not a big deal. I want to do a compression test that often anyways.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:58 AM

People need to get out of the debate that plugs other than NGK Platinums will make your motor run rough or make your engine lose tons of power. People need to be stating facts about the whole spark plug theory when it comes the the VQ engine. We have guys here that have used just about every plug under the sun and I have't seen a thread about plugs messing up engines at all.
What I'm getting at is people are saying all kinds of negative stuff against non-oem plugs and have no proof that it was the plug or a bad installation. I've never had a problem with plugs in any of my vehicles.

Meccanoble, just go with NGK's because they seem to be the best for the VQ. If you want to go aftermarket, go for the Bosch or whatever plug you want to try out.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Sports Button FTW

if they don't increase performance i'm not going for anything...only problem is...

i bought my car from this dude at 84,000 miles, now it has almost 105,000 miles...i have never seen a spark plug come out of an engine so i have no idea how to take it off, i barely know where it's located...somewhere around those cylinders i believe but I don't know if mine need to be changed or not...what signs should i be looking for?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:00 AM
ejj

if they don't increase performance i'm not going for anything...only problem is...

i bought my car from this dude at 84,000 miles, now it has almost 105,000 miles...i have never seen a spark plug come out of an engine so i have no idea how to take it off, i barely know where it's located...somewhere around those cylinders i believe but I don't know if mine need to be changed or not...what signs should i be looking for?
Lower gas mileage, stumbling, rough idle are all signs of bad plugs. Find yourself a .org member that lives around you and ask them to show you how to change them. Offer to buy them a beer.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:03 AM
ejj

Re: Re: 95 GLE

Originally posted by deezo
Just make sure you don't over tighten them. What I do is tighten them until I feel resistance and then stop. Get the fact from the Org before you talk to some fool in a Nissan shop. The info you got is a shame to the automotive world.
Remeber that thread a while back with the guy that mis-read his manual? He though it was 150 ft-lbs for the spark plugs when it was really 150 inch-lbs. Snapped the tops of the plugs off. The threaded part of the plug was stuck in the engine.

I wonder what ever happened with that...
Old 02-20-2002, 12:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: 95 GLE

Originally posted by ejj5875

Remeber that thread a while back with the guy that mis-read his manual? He though it was 150 ft-lbs for the spark plugs when it was really 150 inch-lbs. Snapped the tops of the plugs off. The threaded part of the plug was stuck in the engine.

I wonder what ever happened with that...
Yeah, I remember.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:44 PM

Dan!
Many of the gays are right:
Bosh is pretty good sparks, although if you use European car or European model of Maxima (Infinity Q35 in USA), they are really great

But for your Max is better NGK platinums because of the heat specifications.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:12 PM

Parts guy at the dealership asked if I'd tried iridium plugs. Maybe they're pushing those now ....
Old 02-20-2002, 01:18 PM

Re: Re: Bosch Platinum +4....

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
Parts guy at the dealership asked if I'd tried iridium plugs. Maybe they're pushing those now ....
I am using the Denso iridiums now. One of the benefits of having worked for the company. I do feel a slight H.P. improvement but not worth the extra money for them and having to change my plugs more often. I am going to stick with the platinum's.