4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Level 10 Auto Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Level 10 Auto Rebuild

Has anyone on the org had this done? The kit is $750 on their site...
I was curious who I could talk to about getting it done...

Thanks
Old 02-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know a couple of people have gotten it done at Level 10 ... but Don's VB is about $300 cheaper and IMO, better.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by clee130
I know a couple of people have gotten it done at Level 10 ... but Don's VB is about $300 cheaper and IMO, better.
Don's VB is just a valvebody, the Level 10 kit is a full rebuild, new clutches and bands throughout, etc.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is not for the faint of heart...
Old 02-22-2002, 01:59 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Bah what a waste of mula. Syki has dons VB, and said it didn't take any time off his 1/4th. And if its longevity of your tranny that your getting it for, my sister has 167k on hers, and its still goin! and believe me she BEATS on it. It outlasted the damn engine so its gotta be good..

If your gonna get this serious about your car, might as well do the 5spd conversion like me
Old 02-22-2002, 02:20 PM

I already have the VB mod, I'm looking at N2O or Supercharging and don't want to blow the tranny. I have been quoted a price for labor and it doesn't look too bad. Possibly a new TC also...

Clee: How much did level 10 charge for the rebuild? Were they satisfied with the results? Is there much improvement on quarter times?

Overall, which is better in performance and dependability?

Built Auto or 5-Speed?

Thanks for your help...
Old 02-22-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by MadMax95

Overall, which is better in performance and dependability?

Built Auto or 5-Speed?

Thanks for your help...
a VERY built auto will be better..but were talkin 3-5 grand..otherwise 5spd.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by slammed95
I believe that a 5 speed will probably always outperform the auto's given the same amount of power. 5 speeds have a lower first gear, and have closer ratios throughout the gears. As for dependability, an carefully built auto might be better because it seems like some people have been having prob's with their 5 speed maximas when reaching higher power level. i.e. ericdwong
No. Once you get a ton of power the built auto is better. Here is why:
1) You can get a torque converter for the auto.
2) A modified VB will shift faster than any 5-speed driver can, and also more consistently.
3) If you are going to "heavly" build an auto, why not just add the 5th gear in it

Kirk

Don said something a while back about auto's being faster after a certain point, but i forgot what time in the 1/4 he noticed there was a difference.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

No. Once you get a ton of power the built auto is better. Here is why:
1) You can get a torque converter for the auto.
2) A modified VB will shift faster than any 5-speed driver can, and also more consistently.
3) If you are going to "heavly" build an auto, why not just add the 5th gear in it

Kirk

Don said something a while back about auto's being faster after a certain point, but i forgot what time in the 1/4 he noticed there was a difference.
He is right. That is why the serious dragsters are automatic.

But for normal people who arent car-crazed 5spd is the street choice. But if you are insane and wanna spend all that $, go auto.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:10 PM

im in a situation where i cant get a 5-spd transmission, i have to stick with auto because my dad is basically crippled and he cant drive a manual (he bought the car for me so he wants to be able to drive it and i want him to be able to as well), if i can spend 3-5 grand on an auto and make it better like u guys were just talking about, where/how/what needs to be done, money is not a huge concern i can save up for whatever it is, i have a good income and scholarships pay for all college expenses, so can one of u experts at this stuff please help me out
Thanks a bunch,
Tom
Old 02-22-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by TN-Max
im in a situation where i cant get a 5-spd transmission, i have to stick with auto because my dad is basically crippled and he cant drive a manual (he bought the car for me so he wants to be able to drive it and i want him to be able to as well), if i can spend 3-5 grand on an auto and make it better like u guys were just talking about, where/how/what needs to be done, money is not a huge concern i can save up for whatever it is, i have a good income and scholarships pay for all college expenses, so can one of u experts at this stuff please help me out
Thanks a bunch,
Tom
ok...screw the 5,000 auto! you lucky dog...this is what you need to do:

Get either a Trans-go shift kit, or Dons VB mod. The trans-go is $35-65 dollars but requires professional installation. ($100 around that)

Dons is $350 is supposedly a little better, but u gotta ship and wait and ship and wait.

Now, once you have done this my friend, SUPERCHARGER. You can get a stillen V2 supercharger for 3,300ish new. But it is really quite. I personally love the trademark wine of a supercharger. If you are like me, look around for a stillen V1 supercharger.

Ohhh, my. That will make you jizz your pants.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:28 PM

Not if you set up everything everything with him first.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Dons is $350 is supposedly a little better, but u gotta ship and wait and ship and wait.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:33 PM

ok...screw the 5,000 auto! you lucky dog...this is what you need to do:

Get either a Trans-go shift kit, or Dons VB mod. The trans-go is $35-65 dollars but requires professional installation. ($100 around that)

Now, once you have done this my friend, SUPERCHARGER. You can get a stillen V2 supercharger for 3,300ish new. But it is really quite. I personally love the trademark wine of a supercharger. If you are like me, look around for a stillen V1 supercharger.

Ohhh, my. That will make you jizz your pants.
yea im already saving up for supercharger right now , however ive been reading about this turbo kit the guy installed, so i might hold off and see how that does, but back to auto. trans. question, if i did want to spend like a grand or two, what else can i do other than vb mod, i want to be at least as fast as 5spd, faster if its possible? any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2002, 03:53 PM

yea im already saving up for supercharger right now , however ive been reading about this turbo kit the guy installed, so i might hold off and see how that does, but back to auto. trans. question, if i did want to spend like a grand or two, what else can i do other than vb mod, i want to be at least as fast as 5spd, faster if its possible? any suggestions?
You can change the gearing, definatley get Dons VB mod - IMHO its going to last longer than the trans-go shift kit(plus Don uses it himself), replace the clutches and try to have a transmission shop just make everything in it stronger. Also get a Torque Converter(Don sells these too) that will make you launch a TON better.

If you have a SC, Y-pipe, Cat-back system with the VB and Torque Converter you should be faster than a 5-speed in the 1/4.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 04:02 PM

here is an idea.
www.levelten.com

1) Tranny rebuild kit. --- $750 its suppose to make the tranny handle alot more HPs.
2) Dons VB MOD.--- $450 turn around time was a day 2 days.
3) levelten shift kit --- $1019 you can manual shift you auto like tiptronic "or so they say"

your grand total for parts is $2219 built Tranny.
plus labor cause i wouldn't pull my tranny apart. vavle body yes tranny no.

oh by the way love the valve body mod. thanks to DON.

Old 02-22-2002, 04:02 PM

You can change the gearing, definatley get Dons VB mod - IMHO its going to last longer than the trans-go shift kit(plus Don uses it himself), replace the clutches and try to have a transmission shop just make everything in it stronger. Also get a Torque Converter(Don sells these too) that will make you launch a TON better.

If you have a SC, Y-pipe, Cat-back system with the VB and Torque Converter you should be faster than a 5-speed in the 1/4.

Kirk
wow, thank u soo much, ive wanted to hear that it was at least possible to be faster than a 5spd somehow, that really put a smile on my face, THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 05:18 PM

I really want to get this kit myself. Just not sure if it's worth it though. The guy I talked to at Level Ten told me this rebuild kit not only "bulletproof" the transmission, but also will give you considerable performance from it. In another word, the shifts should be even better with this kit. Hm...who knows. Too bad nobody on this board have this kit. This is not the full rebuild that cost $3k+, this is a Stage I rebuild kit.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:22 PM

wow, thank u soo much, ive wanted to hear that it was at least possible to be faster than a 5spd somehow, that really put a smile on my face, THANKS!!!!!!!
Yes, it is definatley possible. Once you have a certain level of power automatic transmissions are faster than sticks. Thats why dragsters are autos.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, it is definatley possible. Once you have a certain level of power automatic transmissions are faster than sticks. Thats why dragsters are autos.

Kirk
Dragsters are auto because they are more consistent than manual...
Old 02-22-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Dragsters are auto because they are more consistent than manual...
Dont they also shift faster than a stick? They have something similare to Dons VB mod to shift fast dont they? I know they are more consistent, but I also thought they shifted faster than a stick.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 07:07 PM

If your gonna get this serious about your car, might as well do the 5spd conversion like me
or just buy a 5spd. to start w/!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by pawn

or just buy a 5spd. to start w/!

Don't you use to have an auto? Of all people you should understand our pain. No need for smart remarks, most auto owners like me would like to get a 5spd Maxima, however, most of us are not as fortunate as you are to get a hold of another car. I mean, good for you now that you have a 5spd, just no need to get cocky. Btw, I noticed this isn't your first time you did this, that's why I just want to remind you, you used to have an auto too.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:18 PM

ok i want the vb mod...?? is it worth it....how many 1\10 of a sec will i see of my 1\4....i have intake,y-pipe,rt cat, greddy sp....will i be faster than a modded 5sp...i have the loot just need some advise...also does the suspension im putting on have any benefits besides the drop...(agx's with h&rs on some chrome 17
driv mach 5's) ...???need some help??
Old 02-22-2002, 08:08 PM

Most drag cars aren't autos

The top fuel and funny car dragsters are direct drive. So in effect they have only 1 gear. Now the pro stock cars are manual trannies. Given the same engine power a manual tranny will be more effiecent than an auto. However change the gearing, stall speed and shift speed in the auto and the tables could turn. Here is a crazy *** idea. Why not see if the components from an automagic Z32TT could be machined/modified to fit the maxima tranny? Since the stock engine already puts out more than 280tq, it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it. If someone could email me the S.D.S info in the AT section from a 4th gen I could compare it with my Z32 FSM info.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:28 PM

That's why I got a spare tranny to work on. Since I'm not in any hurry, I can take my time, and do it myself. Plus I have a couple of mechanic friends who know what they're doing.

Originally posted by jdmmax

here is an idea.
www.levelten.com

your grand total for parts is $2219 built Tranny.
plus labor cause i wouldn't pull my tranny apart. vavle body yes tranny no.

oh by the way love the valve body mod. thanks to DON.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Don't you use to have an auto? Of all people you should understand our pain. No need for smart remarks, most auto owners like me would like to get a 5spd Maxima, however, most of us are not as fortunate as you are to get a hold of another car. I mean, good for you now that you have a 5spd, just no need to get cocky. Btw, I noticed this isn't your first time you did this, that's why I just want to remind you, you used to have an auto too.

yes, i used to have an auto!!!! i understand your pain, but on the same note, i don't feel sorry for you! if you don't like the auto, then get the 5spd. it is as simple as that, its not 5spds are hard to come by! and you are right, this wasn't my first time, nor my last!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 10:41 AM

yes, i used to have an auto!!!! i understand your pain, but on the same note, i don't feel sorry for you! if you don't like the auto, then get the 5spd. it is as simple as that, its not 5spds are hard to come by! and you are right, this wasn't my first time, nor my last!!!!!!
Feel sorry for me? You think I care? lol...btw, just because you got a 5spd now doesn't mean you're fast. I have beaten plenty of 5spd Maximas before. Sure, 5spds aren't hard to come by, but like I said, not everyone is as lucky as you to get another car. Man, I knew you were cocky. Where do you live? Let's race and see how big and bad your 5spd is. NOT!
Old 02-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by BLacKMax69
ok i want the vb mod...?? is it worth it....how many 1\10 of a sec will i see of my 1\4....i have intake,y-pipe,rt cat, greddy sp....will i be faster than a modded 5sp...i have the loot just need some advise...also does the suspension im putting on have any benefits besides the drop...(agx's with h&rs on some chrome 17
driv mach 5's) ...???need some help??
I liked the VB mod. I never ran on the track after the install but it is claimed to drop .2-.4 off the 1/4. If you have full intake and exhaust you should be close to as fast, and maybe faster than 5-speeds. Your suspension will help you launch since it will be stiffer, and might increase your trap speeds in the 1/4 due to less airflow under the car.

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002, 11:46 AM

Feel sorry for me? You think I care? lol...btw, just because you got a 5spd now doesn't mean you're fast. I have beaten plenty of 5spd Maximas before. Sure, 5spds aren't hard to come by, but like I said, not everyone is as lucky as you to get another car. Man, I knew you were cocky. Where do you live? Let's race and see how big and bad your 5spd is. NOT!
Yea..he would get nervous and fock up the launch..

Just imagine if you were still supercharged..
Old 02-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Does anyone have real PROOF that the vb mod takes time off your 1/4? I've heard sooooooooooooooooooooo much about this mod on this forum and I have yet to hear anyone (other than mobletech's own website) claim an actual, verified time reduction. Anyone? Proof?
Old 02-23-2002, 01:52 PM

You know after thinking about for awhile, you're right automagic does suck. I'm going to try to see if I can get a hold of a 5spd 4th gen.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:55 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The $750 Level 10 is just the parts. Ever price out the labor to put that $750 kit in? You are looking at total of 3-4 grand.

Originally posted by guido_sst

Don's VB is just a valvebody, the Level 10 kit is a full rebuild, new clutches and bands throughout, etc.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is not for the faint of heart...
Old 02-23-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
The $750 Level 10 is just the parts. Ever price out the labor to put that $750 kit in? You are looking at total of 3-4 grand.

$750 Parts + $1180 Labor...

I did my homework...
Old 02-23-2002, 05:30 PM

not just you, but all auto owners, and yes, I am faster than before , and yes, everyone can be as lucky as me...how hard is it to sell your car, and go out and buy a 5spd????and how exactly am i cocky??? all i said was if you want a 5spd. buy a 5spd. simple as that, not like i was saying im faster than everyone on the board, now that would be cocky...you wanna race? anytime...I live in Colorado....
Old 02-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

not just you, but all auto owners, and yes, I am faster than before , and yes, everyone can be as lucky as me...how hard is it to sell your car, and go out and buy a 5spd????and how exactly am i cocky??? all i said was if you want a 5spd. buy a 5spd. simple as that, not like i was saying im faster than everyone on the board, now that would be cocky...you wanna race? anytime...I live in Colorado....

"How hard is it to sell your car, and go...????" Oh man, how can you say that?! I guess you don't get attached to your cars, huh? I could never do that. If I did want a 5-speed (don't though), I would much sooner convert than sell. So to answer your question how hard, my answer is: VERY.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:40 PM

You know after thinking about for awhile, you're right automagic does suck. I'm going to try to see if I can get a hold of a 5spd 4th gen.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:22 PM

How hard is to to sell the car and buy a 5spd? You know money don't grow on tree right? Most of the time the car you want to buy will cost more than the car you're trying to sell. Maybe you got some money on the side, I don't. I'm a student, I worked my butt off just to pay off the car. I do understand your joy now that you have a 5spd. There are other factors involve in life, some people just can't simply "go out and buy a 5spd". Know what I mean? Ok, maybe not. Anyway, it's great you got your 5spd now..woopee...horray for you...happy?
Old 02-24-2002, 01:23 AM

This is getting rather OT isnt it?
Old 02-24-2002, 08:37 AM

If your gonna get this serious about your car, might as well do the 5spd conversion like me [/B][/QUOTE]

I second that....5spd is the way to go.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:44 AM

Back to the subject...

I know I can do the 5-speed swap...

I wanted to know if anyone has done any of the level 10 tranny work...
Old 02-24-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
I second that....5spd is the way to go. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is debatable.

Quick Reply: Level 10 Auto Rebuild