4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 12:48 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

D'oh!

Pre-explanation stats:

1)Craig: '95 SE AUTO w/61,804 miles, OVERDUE for the service check-up, with CAI, Mandrel bent Y, custom b-pipe, flowmasters, custom duals, stock cat.

2)Sister: '95 GXE stock ('cept clears, aftermarket 15's) AUTO w/167,000 miles on the tranny, and a new engine w/1,200k miles.

So here it is. I thought my maxima had lost NO off the line power from these mods right? I am thinkin to myself sweet I still have that off the line torque! But, my sister came home from college yesterday, and I had to move her car. I got in it and DAMN!! It pulls alot harder off the line than mine! It's just plain torquey! It feels so much lighter and athletic off the line than mine.. well it p!ssed me off to say the least. I immediently drove mine afterwards and it felt like a damn minivan.

I now realize what I am missing, and it sucks. I have come to the basic conclusion NO bolt-on (maybe UDP) will increase off the line power. In fact, they all take it away.

I am hopefully going to convert to 5spd very soon. Hopefully I will be able to take her off the line then..I love low end power and miss it.

And to top this all off, her car is beige.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MWAHAHAHAHA!

Beige 95 GXE .... MWAHAHAHAHA!

Edit: Auto.... MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Edit #2: I'm laughing because that's exactly the car I had and it beat Craig Mack.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by clee130
MWAHAHAHAHA!

Beige 95 GXE .... MWAHAHAHAHA!

:

Edit: Auto.... MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Edit #2: I'm laughing because that's exactly the car I had and it beat Craig Mack.
Now how did I know you'd respond first

Now, calvin my man, remember I said in the quarter mile i'd have her azz becuase thats when my mods kick in. But how often am I gonna go to the track versus real life city driving.. damn

BTW, should I be able to take her with a 5spd transmission ? Will I pull off the line significantly harder ? (this one joO cant answer clee )
Old 02-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm no expert, but I would bet a new set of plugs or maybe a new fuel filter would improve your situation. Maybe it's just the CAI, doesn't that effect the low end?
Old 02-22-2002, 01:34 PM

I think the only way to tell if her car really is faster (off the line anyway) than yours is to race it. Until you race it, it's just speculation, "could" be all in your head.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman
I think the only way to tell if her car really is faster (off the line anyway) than yours is to race it. Until you race it, it's just speculation, "could" be all in your head.
Trust me, this is NOT in my head. Well..yea cause there is a distince difference in pull. My weight and lack of backpressure lag me a bit off the line while her stockness and 15's give her to jump.

Other guy.. I am overdue for an oil change, filters, plugs, ect ect. I need to get to it ASAP

Now, all I got left is if the 5spd will give me the boost...5spd boys..come on
Old 02-22-2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by BlancMax
I'm no expert, but I would bet a new set of plugs or maybe a new fuel filter would improve your situation. Maybe it's just the CAI, doesn't that effect the low end?
CAI increases low end power(torque) more than the other intakes(stillen, JWT).

Craig - I'll bet its all in your head. Those duals do look good thought

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 01:43 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Craig Mack

BTW, should I be able to take her with a 5spd transmission ? Will I pull off the line significantly harder ? (this one joO cant answer clee )
Of course, 5 speeds kick ***.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

CAI increases low end power(torque) more than the other intakes(stillen, JWT).

Craig - I'll bet its all in your head. Those duals do look good thought

Kirk )

Why thank you..as you can see in my sig I have another follower

EJJ, I know that..but I wanted to know how much..like for people who have owned both and can tell me the difference.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:51 PM
ejj

Why thank you..as you can see in my sig I have another follower

EJJ, I know that..but I wanted to know how much..like for people who have owned both and can tell me the difference.
Well, haven't owned both, but a 5sp with the same mods will usually get a 60' time that is anywhere from .1s to .4s better than the auto.

Being able to launch to car from any RPM you want, and the gearing make a world of difference.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:51 PM

Oh.. and kirk.. bro.. did you go through the stage of missing the cold air intake snarl ? I mean..my dualies just OWN all sound! Since we both had very similer setups in regards to CAI, Y, Dual catback,(minus your resonator, and another secret that only me and you, and no other newbies can know ) i'm sure you know what I mean. I call it, Cold air withdrawl
Old 02-22-2002, 01:52 PM

Yes I can answer... because the answer is "yes" obviously.

Old 02-22-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Well, haven't owned both, but a 5sp with the same mods will usually get a 60' time that is anywhere from .1s to .4s better than the auto.

Being able to launch to car from any RPM you want, and the gearing make a world of difference.
And the fact 5spds are alot more effecient than a torque converter and liquid and computer to shift.

.1-.4 in the 60 foot? Doesn't that equal out to roughly a second faster in the 0-60?
Old 02-22-2002, 01:59 PM

you can't just CLAIM that hers feels faster off the line than yours...it's simply speculation. My GS430 feels faster off the line than my max...but when they are lined up together...my max wins by about a half car out of the hole...until you run them...no credit will be given to your claim.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

95 GXE Auto owns jOO!

Your heavy azz rims are probably what's making you feel slower...

But hey, they way your car looks more than makes up for any perceived sluggishness off the line.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:01 PM

Since we both had very similer setups in regards to CAI, Y, Dual catback,(minus your resonator, and another secret that only me and you, and no other newbies can know

i know
Old 02-22-2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
95 GXE Auto owns jOO!

Your heavy azz rims are probably what's making you feel slower...

But hey, they way your car looks more than makes up for any perceived sluggishness off the line.
Thanks for those kind words man.

Yes boys, although her car MAY not be faster off the line, it sure as hell feels faster!

Briguy I get the point! Also..I was expecting you to boost my moral on the offtheline power of 5spd verse auto
Old 02-22-2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by pawn

i know
Old 02-22-2002, 02:54 PM

Oh.. and kirk.. bro.. did you go through the stage of missing the cold air intake snarl ? I mean..my dualies just OWN all sound! Since we both had very similer setups in regards to CAI, Y, Dual catback,(minus your resonator, and another secret that only me and you, and no other newbies can know ) i'm sure you know what I mean. I call it, Cold air withdrawl
Yes...I did go through the witdrawl....but I loved the deep growl of the exhaust more than the CAI sound anyway If you want to have some fun on the freeway, pull up next to uncle ben and then take off overdrive The looks you get are priceless.

Yes...lets continue to keep the Newbies in the dark about the utter bliss of the "Elite Duals" So Spritmax envies your duals eh? Thats pretty cool. I wonder how many others out there envy us but just dont want to say it because of my rep on here (See sig - #1 MHOM).

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 03:01 PM

Yes...lets continue to keep the Newbies in the dark about the utter bliss of the "Elite Duals" : So Spritmax envies your duals eh? Thats pretty cool. I wonder how many others out there envy us but just dont want to say it because of my rep on here (See sig - #1 MHOM).

Kirk
Yep, sprinty is all hyped about duals now after he saw my setup.

And about the highway..the power is definatally there, sometimes it puts butterflies in my stomach, but joO with your 3" pipe had more of that power..but then again you had the "secret" quiter that I didn't use so maybe not

And, yes, I KNOW many envy our/your duals. A long time ago when you got them I could only drool and think about duals on my max as a dream.

..looks like dreams do come true..
Old 02-22-2002, 03:48 PM

Yep, sprinty is all hyped about duals now after he saw my setup.

And about the highway..the power is definatally there, sometimes it puts butterflies in my stomach, but joO with your 3" pipe had more of that power..but then again you had the "secret" quiter that I didn't use so maybe not

And, yes, I KNOW many envy our/your duals. A long time ago when you got them I could only drool and think about duals on my max as a dream.

..looks like dreams do come true..
Yes, the 3" pipe really kicked the power in after 3500, it would literaly push you into the seat from there to redline. But due to the 3" pipe I lost some torque. The "secret" quieter, hehe, was straight through and only had little slits to change the sound, probably no power loss, but maybe minimal.

What I meant about the highway was just to take off OD when you pull up next to a ricer. Dont floor it, if anything just let off the gas as you take OD off....SOOOOO loud and nice, they always give the oddest looks. I've even had people not want to race me because they thought I swapped in a BIG V8, LMAO.

Dreams do come true indeed, I miss the sound of the exhaust you have, but I needed to quiet it down for me to sell the car Oh well, atleast the dual lives on.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Granny Driven

Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

Its probably the turbo lag! You said you are running 15psi with twin turbo?
Old 02-22-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
Its probably the turbo lag!) You said you are running 15psi with twin turbo?D
You could be right!

Kirk, YES...that deep WAAHHHHHHHH deceleration of OD is beautiful...yes the duals WILL live on...i think your duals were deeper sounding, and mine maybe more burbly cause no secret quiter..just a shot in the dark tho cause i kno you had the R/T cat.

BTW did that thing (RT Cat) make you sound raspy ? That guy with the deep V6 stang sound i was telling u about just straight piped his whole exhaust and it sounds like crap when he floors it..sounds like a fart.

I am looking for a deeper tone, will a RT cat give me that?
Old 02-22-2002, 04:56 PM

ok guys....i really want an exhaust, and after much thought, i think im going to go the dual route...

here's my ?....instead of the 2 tips you guys have, could i use these what do you think 2 of those would sound like...
Old 02-22-2002, 05:12 PM

ok guys....i really want an exhaust, and after much thought, i think im going to go the dual route...

here's my ?....instead of the 2 tips you guys have, could i use these what do you think 2 of those would sound like...
Yes, you can use those, but with bags you will probably scrape them. IM me later or tomorrow and I'll answer all your questions and give you a rough estimate on price with what you want on it.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 05:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

You could be right!

Kirk, YES...that deep WAAHHHHHHHH deceleration of OD is beautiful...yes the duals WILL live on...i think your duals were deeper sounding, and mine maybe more burbly cause no secret quiter..just a shot in the dark tho cause i kno you had the R/T cat.

BTW did that thing (RT Cat) make you sound raspy ? That guy with the deep V6 stang sound i was telling u about just straight piped his whole exhaust and it sounds like crap when he floors it..sounds like a fart.

I am looking for a deeper tone, will a RT cat give me that?
I think the RT cat did make it a little deeper, but since its not straight pipe it doesnt sound like a hon-duh nor uncle ben. The RT cat is iffy as far as performance goes, but I think anything that frees up the flow and doesnt kill the appropriate amount of backpreasure is a good thing. You have to remember, that at low RPM's you can make our cars sound deeper and louder than big V8's, but after about 1500-2000 rpm it will sound like th V6 that it is. Thank heavens that it is hard to make it sound like a Hon-duh!

Kirk
Old 02-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

... but I think anything that frees up the flow and doesnt kill the appropriate amount of backpreasure is a good thing. ...
So, tell me again how backpressure is a good thing...
Old 02-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Craig-

Get rid of those heavy 17s and your car would also feel much lighter and atheltic. At lower speeds the heavier wheels make more of a difference. Go put your 15s back on the front for a day and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dave
Old 02-22-2002, 09:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

I think the RT cat did make it a little deeper, but since its not straight pipe it doesnt sound like a hon-duh nor uncle ben. The RT cat is iffy as far as performance goes, but I think anything that frees up the flow and doesnt kill the appropriate amount of backpreasure is a good thing. You have to remember, that at low RPM's you can make our cars sound deeper and louder than big V8's, but after about 1500-2000 rpm it will sound like th V6 that it is. Thank heavens that it is hard to make it sound like a Hon-duh!

Kirk
Ya...well..kinda. My friend has a '96 Impala SS with the big block V8 with flowmasters. Mine is alot louder at idle, but once he revvs it there is a pretty distinct difference. But, that doesnt say mine sounds bad.. by ANY means. Mine is louder and more burbly which is what I like. But I also love his sound..

I am just glad we dont have the monotone drone that the 4-bangers get from an exhaust system..so plain.. so boring.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Craig-

Get rid of those heavy 17s and your car would also feel much lighter and atheltic. At lower speeds the heavier wheels make more of a difference. Go put your 15s back on the front for a day and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dave
Are 18's significantly worse than 17's for lightness? All these racing rims that are 18's like the Volk 6-speeds, but still they are 18 inches and that takes more time to rotate..

anyways i cant put the 15's on cause I sold them and my sister is goin back to college..

Man, what a world of difference big wheels can make eh? But when I get my 5spd implant I don't think i'll have to worry about off the line power...am I right boys ?
Old 02-22-2002, 09:15 PM

Are 18's significantly worse than 17's for lightness? All these racing rims that are 18's like the Volk 6-speeds, but still they are 18 inches and that takes more time to rotate..

Man, what a world of difference big wheels can make eh? But when I get my 5spd implant I don't think i'll have to worry about off the line power...am I right boys ?
well, atleast your right about the 5spd. ....but as far as the 18's take more time to rotate....WRONG...the 18 is the same size as your 17...just less sidewall...so they take the same amount of time to rotate..
Old 02-22-2002, 09:29 PM

but as far as the 18's take more time to rotate....WRONG...the 18 is the same size as your 17...just less sidewall...so they take the same amount of time to rotate..
Hmmm...sidewall..are you talking about tires?

I am referring to the fact that an 18 inch rim takes more rotating power from the engine verses a smaller rim. That's why people with dubs are slow as hell. The rotating mass is greater, therefore requires more power to move it, therefore slows down the car. It makes sense and its the laws of physics..i'm sure dave will back me up
Old 02-22-2002, 10:30 PM

Someone .....

, someone go to Craig Mack's driveway and take some underbody photos of his duals so we can have a "How-To" write-up

That will shut 'im up!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 12:48 AM

Briguy I get the point! Also..I was expecting you to boost my moral on the offtheline power of 5spd verse auto
I was boosting your moral....my 5-speed can take a 300hp RWD v8 off the line
Old 02-23-2002, 06:27 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Someone .....

Originally posted by pocketrocket
, someone go to Craig Mack's driveway and take some underbody photos of his duals so we can have a "How-To" write-up

That will shut 'im up!!!!!!
It's not that hard to figure out. Have you seen the muffler on a Camaro? It has an inlet on one end and an outlet on both ends. Ok, you mount it like the regular maxima muffler with the inlet towards the front and one outlet towards the back of the car. So far it's just like OEM. But the muffler has one more oulet next to the inlet, facing the front of the car. A pipe is run from the forward-facing inlet around the spare tire and out the back on the left side...

Confused?
Old 02-23-2002, 08:26 AM

Yes...I did go through the witdrawl....but I loved the deep growl of the exhaust more than the CAI sound anyway If you want to have some fun on the freeway, pull up next to uncle ben and then take off overdrive The looks you get are priceless.

Yes...lets continue to keep the Newbies in the dark about the utter bliss of the "Elite Duals" So Spritmax envies your duals eh? Thats pretty cool. I wonder how many others out there envy us but just dont want to say it because of my rep on here (See sig - #1 MHOM).
I'm wondering what's so elite about them. All I've ever seen you say is that they sound good and look good. I can get the same effect from a fake muffler and a CD of my neighbor's white trash Monte Carlo.

Not trying to dog you guys. I just don't get it.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: Someone .....

It's not that hard to figure out. Have you seen the muffler on a Camaro? It has an inlet on one end and an outlet on both ends. Ok, you mount it like the regular maxima muffler with the inlet towards the front and one outlet towards the back of the car. So far it's just like OEM. But the muffler has one more oulet next to the inlet, facing the front of the car. A pipe is run from the forward-facing inlet around the spare tire and out the back on the left side...

Confused?
Shhhhh

I, however, am straight piped.

Kinda-sorta
Old 02-23-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I was boosting your moral....my 5-speed can take a 300hp RWD v8 off the line :

So what your telling me is, if it was a 5spd 2000 Mustang GT you could beat HIM off the line ?

Would you go as far as saying you could take a cobra off the line??
Old 02-23-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Someone .....

Confused?

I've never looked under a Camaro

See, now you've got me thinking too, except I have no idea what kind of muffler to get that would sound the same as stock. I'm gonna go look under my car now (finally drove it after 2 weeks) and see mounting for hooks, etc. I'm going to assume you had to bolt/weld some extra fixing points for the dual pipe, right?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

D'oh!

Pre-explanation stats:

1)Craig: '95 SE AUTO w/61,804 miles, OVERDUE for the service check-up, with CAI, Mandrel bent Y, custom b-pipe, flowmasters, custom duals, stock cat.

2)Sister: '95 GXE stock ('cept clears, aftermarket 15's) AUTO w/167,000 miles on the tranny, and a new engine w/1,200k miles.

So here it is. I thought my maxima had lost NO off the line power from these mods right? I am thinkin to myself sweet I still have that off the line torque! But, my sister came home from college yesterday, and I had to move her car. I got in it and DAMN!! It pulls alot harder off the line than mine! It's just plain torquey! It feels so much lighter and athletic off the line than mine.. well it p!ssed me off to say the least. I immediently drove mine afterwards and it felt like a damn minivan.

I now realize what I am missing, and it sucks. I have come to the basic conclusion NO bolt-on (maybe UDP) will increase off the line power. In fact, they all take it away.

I am hopefully going to convert to 5spd very soon. Hopefully I will be able to take her off the line then..I love low end power and miss it.

And to top this all off, her car is beige.
Thats why I'm stock.

Quick Reply: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!