4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 10:46 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Re: Someone .....

Originally posted by pocketrocket

I've never looked under a Camaro

See, now you've got me thinking too, except I have no idea what kind of muffler to get that would sound the same as stock. I'm gonna go look under my car now (finally drove it after 2 weeks) and see mounting for hooks, etc. I'm going to assume you had to bolt/weld some extra fixing points for the dual pipe, right?
MZMTG doesnt have duals, he just knows what he's talking about

So, now you want duals too? I better take that pic outta my sig cause I'm gettin hits all over the place askin about them.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My sisters stock '95 GXE is faster than my modded '95 SE!!

Originally posted by mzmtg

So, tell me again how backpressure is a good thing...
Remember, we had this discussion, thats why i worded it as the "APPROPRIATE" level of backpreasure.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Are 18's significantly worse than 17's for lightness? All these racing rims that are 18's like the Volk 6-speeds, but still they are 18 inches and that takes more time to rotate..

anyways i cant put the 15's on cause I sold them and my sister is goin back to college..

Man, what a world of difference big wheels can make eh? But when I get my 5spd implant I don't think i'll have to worry about off the line power...am I right boys ?
Isnt your maxi an SE? If so, you had 16" wheeels stock.

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002, 10:54 AM

Re: Someone .....

, someone go to Craig Mack's driveway and take some underbody photos of his duals so we can have a "How-To" write-up

That will shut 'im up!!!!!!
No. My setup/his set up is a secret. It sounds awesome, deep, and loud. There are only 2 setups of that kind. He has one, I have the other. I do have underbody pics though....for a price I might send them to you.

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by jargoone
I'm wondering what's so elite about them. All I've ever seen you say is that they sound good and look good. I can get the same effect from a fake muffler and a CD of my neighbor's white trash Monte Carlo.

Not trying to dog you guys. I just don't get it.
Elite = not many people have them. This is true, it is elite in this way.

Its not just a "fake" muffler and a CD of white trash. It took 5 hours to make the first setup. How long does it take to put on an aftermarket exhaust system that you buy from greddy? 30 min? Plus it was custom fabricated for the exact specs of our maximas. There is even minimal gain in HP due to the higher flow the exhaust gets after the muffler. It is even set up so that the exhaust flows evenly out of each side. Not a big deal for Craig since he is in FL, but here in Colorado it gets cold and if all your exhaust is comming out of only one side its rice. Sure, all most people know about our setups is that it looks good and sounds great. There is a lot more to them that just that.

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Someone .....

I've never looked under a Camaro

See, now you've got me thinking too, except I have no idea what kind of muffler to get that would sound the same as stock. I'm gonna go look under my car now (finally drove it after 2 weeks) and see mounting for hooks, etc. I'm going to assume you had to bolt/weld some extra fixing points for the dual pipe, right?
Yes, you can keep it quiet, but not as quiet as stock. I went from the setup that Craig now has, LOUD, to a very much quieter one. You still hear the exhaust and it still has a nice low growl, but its just very quiet. You will definatley need to add an additional hanger to support the extra weight. You dont need to bolt it, just weld them.

Mzmtg - You only know that because I told you that

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Kirk..WELL PUT!

95-96 SE's and GLE's come with 15" alloys.. I believe 97-99 GLE's come with 15" alloys as well.

Yes, in colorado there is no excuse for having steam outta 1 pipe..definatally rice. But it can get pretty cold here to (yes I am serious ), and even when its not.. I wash my car and spray water into the tips to clean 'em out..well when I start up the car and it warms up alot of steam comes outta them. It takes a second or 2 for the latter tip to start steaming up, becuase my weather still aint cold, but when I give it a little revv, .Beauty. But on really cold days (which are VERY few here), steam freely comes outta them both

And if you think you can just go out and buy a muffler and bend some pipes, you are wrong. It took me and my muffler guy the WHOLE day (7:50am - 6:40pm) to do this on my Minima. If you choose the wrong type of muffler, it will be ricey as hell. And yes you will need quite a few extra hangers.

Now before anyone tries to be a hero and do a 100% dual exhaust from the headers, think twice. This will be VERY VERY costly, and you will lose power. So ***etaboutit.

Well, as for the rest, I believe kirk covered it. But I would like to add something he forgot.. you will have to have some artistic skills.. and that applies to the bumper and how you will make your other half circle that will be EXACTLY symmetrical to the stock one. Nuff said.

Everything else Kirk put well.

BTW, Kirk, Check your PM's..
Old 02-23-2002, 11:19 AM

Kirk..WELL PUT!

95-96 SE's and GLE's come with 15" alloys.. I believe 97-99 GLE's come with 15" alloys as well.

Yes, in colorado there is no excuse for having steam outta 1 pipe..definatally rice. But it can get pretty cold here to (yes I am serious ), and even when its not.. I wash my car and spray water into the tips to clean 'em out..well when I start up the car and it warms up alot of steam comes outta them. It takes a second or 2 for the latter tip to start steaming up, becuase my weather still aint cold, but when I give it a little revv, .Beauty. But on really cold days (which are VERY few here), steam freely comes outta them both

And if you think you can just go out and buy a muffler and bend some pipes, you are wrong. It took me and my muffler guy the WHOLE day (7:50am - 6:40pm) to do this on my Minima. If you choose the wrong type of muffler, it will be ricey as hell. And yes you will need quite a few extra hangers.

Now before anyone tries to be a hero and do a 100% dual exhaust from the headers, think twice. This will be VERY VERY costly, and you will lose power. So ***etaboutit.

Well, as for the rest, I believe kirk covered it. But I would like to add something he forgot.. you will have to have some artistic skills.. and that applies to the bumper and how you will make your other half circle that will be EXACTLY symmetrical to the stock one. Nuff said.

Everything else Kirk put well.

BTW, Kirk, Check your PM's..
Yeah...the cutting of the second hole was a long process....it is exactly symetrical though, and I think that if its not, its rice.

Kirk
Old 03-03-2002, 02:58 PM

What am I saying, IM FASTER!!

Kirk couldn't of said it any better

Ok guys I just did another run back to back with them. This time my sister has a bad knock sensor that won't hurt her car until 3 or 4 of them start to go.

I still haven't gotten my 60k tuneup so am probubly running not 100% efficient.

Well I just took them for runs back to back and I can say that hers is NOT faster than mine. She does have a lagcharger . I must say we both are the same off the line, but a second later mine pulls HARDER than hers! Definatally noticeable. My handling is 10 times better than hers too. Hers is also soooo freakn quite!

So I guess it was all in my mind. That or my Cold air intake made up for that lost back pressure (I know MTMZG it isn't quit that!), or maybe bigger piping really doesnt take away off the line torque.

Eitherway to the newbies, the Y-pipe will put a smile on your face so go get it! Sometimes I will be cruisin' around at 30-50mph and I will just floor it, and it sometimes will violently throw me back in my seat..it's awesome.

So, maybe its her knock sensor ? Or popcharger, but I don't think it is. I think I have come to the conclusion that bigger piping doesn't always mean slower take-offs.

Oh yea I also have 17x8's that "effect" my off the line.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:28 AM

BTW, should I be able to take her with a 5spd transmission ? Will I pull off the line significantly harder ? (this one joO cant answer clee )
Yes.