4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to adjust the sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:46 PM

How to adjust the sunroof

I've had this problem for a while now but since it's been cold I haven't really been needing my sunroof. But now that it's starting to heat up and look nicer I want my sunroof to work.
It opens with no problem, but the right side needs some help when I try to close it. I have to push hard in order for it to stay up with the left side. Also the right thingy that helps tilt the sunroof also needs help when opening. I've tried lubing it up more but that doesn't help. Has anyone experienced this? and how did you fix it?

-MDM
Old 02-25-2002, 10:25 PM

Has anyone ever sat on your roof? That's what happened to mine, and the sunroof wouldn't close right. Took two people pulling on the side that got sat on to get it past about half way. I took it all apart and found out that the track on that side had been bent very slightly. The tolerance in there is so small, it could not be repaired. I went to my local dealer to get a replacement for the bent piece, but they would only sell me the whole track assembly. Price tag was almost a grand, so I said screw it. Sounds like you might have the same thing, but a little less severe. Your situation sounds similar, I think the only fix is to replace the track or just the piece that is bent if you can find one at a wrecking yard.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Prolepsis
Has anyone ever sat on your roof? That's what happened to mine, and the sunroof wouldn't close right. Took two people pulling on the side that got sat on to get it past about half way. I took it all apart and found out that the track on that side had been bent very slightly. The tolerance in there is so small, it could not be repaired. I went to my local dealer to get a replacement for the bent piece, but they would only sell me the whole track assembly. Price tag was almost a grand, so I said screw it. Sounds like you might have the same thing, but a little less severe. Your situation sounds similar, I think the only fix is to replace the track or just the piece that is bent if you can find one at a wrecking yard.
Prolepsis-
Uh, no one ever sat on my sunroof. One time in August or so, I was pushing 100+ with the sunroof open. I thought maybe it got off track or something. Anyway, i want to try to fix it. How hard is it to remove the sunroof. Did you have to remove the entire interior lining? And do you have instructions on how to do it. That would really help!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Max96LSU

Prolepsis-
Uh, no one ever sat on my sunroof. One time in August or so, I was pushing 100+ with the sunroof open. I thought maybe it got off track or something. Anyway, i want to try to fix it. How hard is it to remove the sunroof. Did you have to remove the entire interior lining? And do you have instructions on how to do it. That would really help!
It's a pain in the butt, but if you have some time on your hands, here is what you need to do. It's been a while since took mine apart, so I may leave something out here, but if so, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I usually prefer to work on my car solo, but for this I highly recomend that you get a freind to help you. This will help avoid creasing the headliner, scratching up your interior, and damaging the sunroof (or yourself!).

You will need to remove the headliner. To do so, you must first remove anything attached to it (rearview mirror, handles, dome light, sunroof switch panel, sunshades).

The liner is attached by heavy-duty velcro and a few metal clips. You will probably want to lower the front seatbacks as far as you can (or remove them completely?) to give you more room to work with. Just pick your favorite corner and pry it outward until you feel it pop free. Then work your way around the liner until you have released all of the velcro. If memory serves, the metal clips are all immediately behind the sunroof. Be careful with these, don't try to pull them down like the velcro. Instead, once you are sure they are the only thing left holding the liner up, slide the whole thing backward and it should release. Don't worry if you find that you have ripped a few of the velcro pieces clean off the liner, there are plenty more on there to hold it up later. Once it is completely detached, manuever it out through a door, taking care to avoid creasing it.

Now you can tackle the sunroof assembly. There are four big main screws holding it up. Before you remove these, there are some short tubes that I think you need to disconnect. There will also be some wires that you need to detatch before dropping the assembly. Make sure you have something (preferrably someone) in place to hold it up while you remove the screws so the whole thing doesn't fall on your head, it's heavy. Make a final check that there is nothing else preventing the assembly from detaching freely and remove the four screws. You can take the assembly out through a door, but be very carful, it is bulky and you could scrape up your interior pretty bad. Also make sure the glass doesn't fall out, I don't remember if it is attached to the assembly or not.

I hope this helps, good luck! Oh and by the way, standard disclaimers apply.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:00 AM

Thanks for all your help. I'm thinking of tackling this project this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out!