4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

want to paint my brake....any dissadvantages?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Sports Button FTW

want to paint my brake....any dissadvantages?

it's that time of the season where i'm about to put my 18" chrome rims back on and my brakes are just there showing brown and rusty as all hell...promised myself a while back i was going to paint them, but now that i have you guys here to give me information on this type of thing, i need to know, is there any dissadvantage when painting the brake? like will the paint stick or something and cause damage? i want to paint mine the same color as my car...like a rice, yellow or champagne color

AND MY CAR IS CHAMPAGNE COLOR NOT RICE!!!!!!

gotta make it sound a little more elegant

is there any special paint needed? or just regular paint like the one u would use to paint the wall?
Old 02-26-2002, 11:39 AM

they make special paint for the calipers in diffent colors. I've heard of some people painting them with engine paint (for the heat resistance quality of the paint) but have not seen the results. You have to take the whole caliper apart and be sure that it is completely dry before putting it back on or the brake pads may stick a little. It's not really a difficult or big project, just I would think that the results will be very dependent on the paint and prep work and how good a job you do in taking your time.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

dam i gotta take it out? lol, i was about to just take my wheel off, paint that bad boy wit some wall paint, let it sit there for a few then call it a day...u make it sound a lot more complicated...i have no idea how to take it out so what i'll do is go to a shop of one of my boys, let them take it out, then i should buy some special paint used for engines u say? to absorb heat or something? i'll do that...how much are we talking? for the paint that is? I saw one guy here wit a close up of his car, front lip and a red brake painted...i was feeling that...maybe he would know more about this...gotta search for him...d'oh!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
dam i gotta take it out? lol, i was about to just take my wheel off, paint that bad boy wit some wall paint, let it sit there for a few then call it a day...u make it sound a lot more complicated...i have no idea how to take it out so what i'll do is go to a shop of one of my boys, let them take it out, then i should buy some special paint used for engines u say? to absorb heat or something? i'll do that...how much are we talking? for the paint that is? I saw one guy here wit a close up of his car, front lip and a red brake painted...i was feeling that...maybe he would know more about this...gotta search for him...d'oh!
You'll need a paint/lacquer that will hold up to a lot of heat. Wall paint won't hold up for 2 minutes. I used engine enamel paint from Pep Boys and haven't had any problems, but if you want to spend the $ get some caliper paint. http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022...pray_paint.htm
Old 02-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

you dont have to take the caliper off... its really ok if ya dont do a perfect job cuz its not really something that important (my opinion)

but use Hi temp paint.. and if you use the cheap hi temp paint then watch out it'll be fine but when you give your car a brake job the brake fluid will cause the paint to come off.. if ya wana avoid that spend a lil more $$$ and buy Foliatec paint or something like that... also you'll find your choices in color are severely limited
Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Paint them bad boys

Not too hard to do. Get some high temp paint, go to any auto parts store and pickl up a can for under three dollars. While you are there get a can of brake cleaner and if your brakes are really rusty or dirty maybe a wire brush.

Take your tire off and using masking tape and some newspaper, tape off all exposed parts other than the caliper itself.

Also, cover your wheel well and bumper so you do not get any paint on your car.

I sprayed the high temp paint onto the caliper. I let it dry for a few minutes and applied a second then a third coat.

Just make sure that you have everything covered other than the caliper.

It will take about twenty minutes a wheel. Some people say you should let your car sit for 12 hours. I did not find that to be the case as I only painted the outside surfaces and did not disassemble the whole pad.

Good luck, PM me with any questions.
DL
Old 02-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi there maccanoble.

If you ant to do it that way, it will probably work out fine. Did you do a search before you posted this? There is tons of info on the Forum.

I believe also the "how2" section of maximadriver.com has something on it. I gave you that link last night over MSN Messenger, remember?

It's always better to search first, friend.

I myself ordered some Folia Tec Caliper paint. It's $43.00, but it's brush on (you don't have to worry about overspray getting anywhere) and it's meant for calipers (won't wear off).

(And yes, it's spelled "Folia Tec" (look on their website)

IanS
Old 02-26-2002, 01:32 PM

I used some inexpensive Caliper paint I got at pepboys(it was in the "rice" section). Scrub the crap out of the caliper with a wire brush after giving it a good soak with brake cleaner. A buddy of mine suggested using aluminum foil for masking. I gave that a shot and it worked like a champ. It was pretty easy to do. Just take the time to get them really clean before painting.

Miguel
Old 02-26-2002, 02:24 PM

I saw one guy here wit a close up of his car, front lip and a red brake painted...i was feeling that...maybe he would know more about this...gotta search for him...d'oh!
That would be Craig Mack.

SuDZ
Old 02-26-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: want to paint my brake....any dissadvantages?

it's that time of the season where i'm about to put my 18" chrome rims back on and my brakes are just there showing brown and rusty as all hell...promised myself a while back i was going to paint them, but now that i have you guys here to give me information on this type of thing, i need to know, is there any dissadvantage when painting the brake? like will the paint stick or something and cause damage? i want to paint mine the same color as my car...like a rice, yellow or champagne color

AND MY CAR IS CHAMPAGNE COLOR NOT RICE!!!!!!

gotta make it sound a little more elegant

is there any special paint needed? or just regular paint like the one u would use to paint the wall?
Go to http://www.foliatec.com and select the english car styling section. In there is a catalog with everything they make, including brake caliper laquer.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:18 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: want to paint my brake....any dissadvantages?

I think you should go with this -->

as soon as i get rims i'm definately doing that. i think it looks okay, the thing is that us beige maxes look like butt, but we're pretty stealthy cause no one suspects it. unless your 1max2nv... heh