4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

With new pads and Anti-squeel...brakes still squeak...what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 03:43 PM

With new pads and Anti-squeel...brakes still squeak...what's wrong?

I put new metalic brake pads on my I30 about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned all the pads and applied anti-squeel goo to them....THEY STILL SQEEL UNDER LIGHT BREAKING!!! Anyone know what's wrong?
Old 02-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really think its the fact that the pads have metal in them. I did all of what you did and my left rear still squeals. I think I may just use the stock pads next go round.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:06 PM

Re: With new pads and Anti-squeel...brakes still squeak...what's wrong?

try raybestos ceramic, i have them on my front and it only sqeaks for the first couple times i press my brakes in the morning.

Originally posted by ebmorgan
I put new metalic brake pads on my I30 about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned all the pads and applied anti-squeel goo to them....THEY STILL SQEEL UNDER LIGHT BREAKING!!! Anyone know what's wrong?
Old 02-26-2002, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ebmorgan
I put new metalic brake pads on my I30 about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned all the pads and applied anti-squeel goo to them....THEY STILL SQEEL UNDER LIGHT BREAKING!!! Anyone know what's wrong? [/QUOTE

Yeah my mechanic said it was the material also that nissans use...so damn annoying to here that squeal at a stop or slow roll peace
Old 02-26-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: With new pads and Anti-squeel...brakes still squeak...what's wrong?

Originally posted by max808
try raybestos ceramic, i have them on my front and it only sqeaks for the first couple times i press my brakes in the morning.

I don't like raysbestos....it's my understanding that there is reduced stopping power and increased stopping distance with this material. I may go with them the next time around however... I hate squeel more....
Old 02-26-2002, 07:36 PM

the bendix pads squeal like hell ...

i'm going to get stock pads next time around as well~
Old 02-26-2002, 08:01 PM

You need to put a shim on the back of each brake pad. Premium Raybestos come with a shim. Your rotors might also be slightly warped and this could be part of it.

I personally think the absence of shims is your problem. It is a thin plate that glues over the back of each brake pad. After you put the shims on put the anti squeal on the shim and brake pad. That should do it.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2002, 09:14 PM

Anyone know how the axxis metalmaster pads are? I saw a link someone posted for the entire brake kit, and was thinking of getting that entire kit that came with brembo rotors cross drilled by stillen pretty soon. the reason i want new brakes is because mine are almost done and also, mine squeak like hell when i'm NOT braking. I have the original factory ones on there...i know its not the metallic wear-down indicator as it has been checked a few times, and was confirmed that there is still about 50% life left on them. Thanks...
Old 02-27-2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by nismomaxse97

You need to put a shim on the back of each brake pad. Premium Raybestos come with a shim. Your rotors might also be slightly warped and this could be part of it.

I personally think the absence of shims is your problem. It is a thin plate that glues over the back of each brake pad. After you put the shims on put the anti squeal on the shim and brake pad. That should do it.

Good luck
I have shims...and shims should never be glued on...they should always clip on....
Old 02-27-2002, 05:12 PM

I've tried several types of brake pads, all of which seem to squeak under light braking - even when brand new! I've also noticed many many other Maximas that squeal out on the road. The only ones I don't remember squealing were the factory installed ones . . .

Is there just something about the MAX that they are prone to this?

96 Maxima GXE Automatic
144,579 and counting . . .
Old 02-28-2002, 08:09 PM

OEM Nissan brake pads

Stock pads are pretty decent in stopping power and are very quiet. I tried some Raybestos (not sure of the model, but they included metal painted rims) a couple of years ago, and it was worst mistake in my life. I thought they were fine in stopping power and noise initially, it wasn't until later that week when I went on a road trip (8hr drive) that I noticed how badly they dusted my rims (1 week of use, and my rims were BLACK) and also how loudly they squealed when given a chance to heat up. After I installed my my new OEM Nissan brakes ($50/axle set (20% discounted price); they are semi-metallic by the way) and a some new OEM Nissan brake pad shims (~$18/axle set; thin metal covered w/ a rubberized material), the squealing and dusting problems immediately disappeared.

For low-dusting and to keep squealing to a minimum, save the headache and get the OEM Nissan brakes (stay w/ the OEM line and not the so-called cheaper "Key Value" parts line). If, on the otherhand, you go w/ the aftermarket brands--you might be able to get a little better stopping power (or worse stopping power and/or worse dusting and/or bad squealing)--so do your homework before switching from OEM.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
I put new metalic brake pads on my I30 about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned all the pads and applied anti-squeel goo to them....THEY STILL SQEEL UNDER LIGHT BREAKING!!! Anyone know what's wrong? [/QUOTE

Yeah my mechanic said it was the material also that nissans use...so damn annoying to here that squeal at a stop or slow roll peace
I just got my car back today from getting brand new brakes on it, and they STILL squeal. It's really annoying when you pull up next to some fine females and your car is squealing like a mother when you try to stop.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hey guys

i dont wanna offend anyone but usually brake squeal is assiocated with installation rather then pad material. Pad Material does play a role also but most decent pads will not squeal if done professionally. Ive done countless brake jobs(40+) on differnt cars and many of them on members on this board and not one of them have had a complaint on brake squeal. ive used Axxis Metal masters, Porterfields, PBRs, QS series, Endless, EBCs, and OEM...
Old 03-01-2002, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
hey guys

i dont wanna offend anyone but usually brake squeal is assiocated with installation rather then pad material. Pad Material does play a role also but most decent pads will not squeal if done professionally. Ive done countless brake jobs(40+) on differnt cars and many of them on members on this board and not one of them have had a complaint on brake squeal. ive used Axxis Metal masters, Porterfields, PBRs, QS series, Endless, EBCs, and OEM...
Of the pads you mentioned, which do you prefer?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
Anyone know how the axxis metalmaster pads are? I saw a link someone posted for the entire brake kit, and was thinking of getting that entire kit that came with brembo rotors cross drilled by stillen pretty soon. the reason i want new brakes is because mine are almost done and also, mine squeak like hell when i'm NOT braking. I have the original factory ones on there...i know its not the metallic wear-down indicator as it has been checked a few times, and was confirmed that there is still about 50% life left on them. Thanks...
AndyXXL said that they have terrible fade when they get hot. He almost rear ended me going to a meet one day.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:17 AM

how does all these pads that you guys are dicussing compare to portersfield brake pads perormance wise and squeal wise???

Chris