4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

have questions and need help about airbags and battery(long)

Old 02-27-2002, 07:32 AM

have questions and need help about airbags and battery(long)

Morning guys, I am having some problems with my car for the last two days and I am hoping to get some of your thoughts and expertise on this:
I had knee surgery about a month ago which left me immobilized for a good month. My car just sat in the parking space for a good month plus (I went away for three weeks prior). I think my dad started and drove the car around for me once or twice in the last two months. Needless to say, very little usage. He last drove it on the 19th--about a week ago and told me there were no problems.
However, in the meantime, I have had the airbag lights go off (flashing on me)--and I used the instructions on the site to remedy the lights. Again, HOWever, I had to do it recently on a trip because the lights came back on. I was able to reset it using the same technique.
The problem I am having now is that the car won't crank up. I read the threads posted and someone else had the same problem--resetting the airbag light twice and can't crank the car up. I was wondering if there is a direct correlation with the airbag light sucking up battery power and leaving the battery dry. The reason it seems (correct me if I am wrong) that my car won't start is because of a dry battery--all the power accessories are weak, and I still couldn't crank the car up with a portable jump pack (not charged enough). Now I was wondering if the battery can be 1. saved? 2. is there a problem because the airbag light is flashing again? that I should not use the technique to shut off the airbag light? 3. because my car isn't turning over, the service engine light is on in the "on" position with the various other dashboard lights--is that normal? meaning once the car starts, all these other lights will go away?

Sorry to make this long, but lots of questions.
One last thing--does anyone know if the AC Delco brand battery is trustworthy (had it for 3 years so far)? or if water can be added or it is a no service necessary type battery? And does Cold cranking Amps matter too much in purchasing a new battery (seems like that is the direction I am going to fix things)--and any brands suggested at a 50-80 dollar range?

thanks--and my apologies for the length.
Brian
Old 02-27-2002, 08:16 AM

hmmm...

Re: the airbag light. DK full details on this but I was in the dealer last week and he mentioned that there had been some problems with the airbags on the 4g cars. The passenger side unit was replaced in my bar before I bought it (he had the record on it being done and this is what spurred the conversation). Apparently there is a known issue with the bags. You might want to check for a TSB or call the dealer. Mebbe they'll replace it for you.

Re: the battery. Even today, those "maintenance free" batteries have caps so that you can add water (distilled only please) if you need to. There are occasions when a cell or two in the battery will lose some water. Before you buy a new one, I would examine the top of the battery and see whether you have the caps (might look like two little plastic rectangles...). If you do have the removable caps, PUT ON EYE PROTECTION and pop them off with a screwdriver under the edge. Look in the little holes and see whether there is fluid covering the plates. If not, swipe some of mom's/wife's/so's distilled water for the iron and pour it in so that the plates are covered. This *might* fix the problem. Then again, you might be treating the symptom (overactive alternator/voltage regulator boiling off the water) and you'll find the problem occurs again. If so, you have something else to fix.

The service light should go out once the car starts.

DK on the relationship between the airbag and the car starting. I don't think an airbag failure causes a starter lockout or anything like that. It sounds to me that they're unrelated but mebbe a Nissan tech could comment.

re: new battery. Unless you get into the sealed or gel types $$$, pretty much anything properly sized for the car should work and s/b avail within your price range. Warranty length will determine the price. I use interstate but that's because that's what my mechanic sells.

whew!
Old 02-27-2002, 08:37 AM

The air bag light flashing can be triggered by a low battery or disruptions in power. Mine came on after changing my battery. I reset the light and it hasn't come back on since then.

Search for posts on air bag lights and look for information from Daniel B Martin.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:18 AM

Re: hmmm...

emoore, Jay_X,
thank you for your thoughts and comments. I thought about the information you two have shared and here is what I came up with.
The airbag lights first came on after the car haven't been driven for quite sometime (that could be that the battery is leaking slowly--age/etc...various factors). And because the battery has low voltage, that triggered the airbag lights to come on? could be a possibilty base on the information Jay_X mentioned. hmmm.
or it could just be a faulty unit that some of the 4th generations are having (as mentioned by your dealer).

As for the battery, I am looking for a new one--just to get rid of the headache.
I think I will find something that will give me a little more CCA's and also see what the price is with the usual autozone, pepboys, sears.
I still need a big enough boost to start the car and then drive it around--question again---would that recharge the battery or once the battery goes too low, that won't happen and a new one is the only option?

wheww...enough questions from me. hehe.
thanks again...

Originally posted by emoore924
Re: the airbag light. DK full details on this but I was in the dealer last week and he mentioned that there had been some problems with the airbags on the 4g cars. The passenger side unit was replaced in my bar before I bought it (he had the record on it being done and this is what spurred the conversation). Apparently there is a known issue with the bags. You might want to check for a TSB or call the dealer. Mebbe they'll replace it for you.

Re: the battery. Even today, those "maintenance free" batteries have caps so that you can add water (distilled only please) if you need to. There are occasions when a cell or two in the battery will lose some water. Before you buy a new one, I would examine the top of the battery and see whether you have the caps (might look like two little plastic rectangles...). If you do have the removable caps, PUT ON EYE PROTECTION and pop them off with a screwdriver under the edge. Look in the little holes and see whether there is fluid covering the plates. If not, swipe some of mom's/wife's/so's distilled water for the iron and pour it in so that the plates are covered. This *might* fix the problem. Then again, you might be treating the symptom (overactive alternator/voltage regulator boiling off the water) and you'll find the problem occurs again. If so, you have something else to fix.

The service light should go out once the car starts.

DK on the relationship between the airbag and the car starting. I don't think an airbag failure causes a starter lockout or anything like that. It sounds to me that they're unrelated but mebbe a Nissan tech could comment.

re: new battery. Unless you get into the sealed or gel types $$$, pretty much anything properly sized for the car should work and s/b avail within your price range. Warranty length will determine the price. I use interstate but that's because that's what my mechanic sells.

whew!
Old 02-28-2002, 09:54 AM

battery disruption

Hey Jay_X,
you mentioned below that the airbag light can be triggered by a low battery. I finally got my car started with a boost and all the lights went out. But this morning when I was driving the airbag light started blinking again, and I was able to reset it. But earlier this afternoon, I took the car out for a short drive to run an errand and the light came back on (and I reset it again)--question--would this be because of a low battery (or how can one tell if it is a low battery?)
and the other question I have for anyone reading this post is this: I need some help with this question.
when you usually turn your car key to the ON position, not starting the car yet, what lights "light up" on the dashboard? I just want to see what you guys have and if the lights that are on (battery light, service engine soon light, airbag--but that goes away after being reset, the seatbelt light, and handbrake light) but all these go away after the car is on...
just wondering---or being paranoid since I have had to reset that damn airbag light 4 times so far!!

Originally posted by jay_x
The air bag light flashing can be triggered by a low battery or disruptions in power. Mine came on after changing my battery. I reset the light and it hasn't come back on since then.

Search for posts on air bag lights and look for information from Daniel B Martin.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:53 AM

Like I said, mine came on after changing my battery. I would try a new battery first, your's seems to be on its way out anyway. I think a new air bag control is in the $1000 range installed.

This is from a DBM post:

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery .
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the Driver Door Switch is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

link to the post http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....542#post522542

As for the second part of your post, I think everything lights up, and then goes off once the car is started.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I too had air bag light problem

Resetting the airbag ECU fixed it.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:00 AM

Re: I too had air bag light problem

yeah, it fixes the light on mine too, but the problem is that the light comes back again a few days later and then I have to reset it again which is a pain.

Originally posted by crux06
Resetting the airbag ECU fixed it.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nudge. . .nudge

Maybe this post will push you over the edge;

get a new battery

Fact is;
1. your battery may have served it's time. 3 years is 36 months, what was the life of your battery supposed to be? Close to that, I would guess.
2. The battery is a simple fix. If the battery is not the problem, then start looking elsewhere. At least you'll have a brand new battery now.

DW

Originally posted by humaras
yeah, it fixes the light on mine too, but the problem is that the light comes back again a few days later and then I have to reset it again which is a pain.