4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H & R Spring compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

H & R Spring compatibility

i dropped my car off at a local mechanic with my H&R's to be put on my 98. well, he called me a little bit ago and said that the spring doesn't fit right, like it's too big. i have the SE struts in front. does anyone have any experience with these? he said (and i already knew) that one of the struts are blown anyways. should i spend a little extra cash and get kyb gr2's? would they fit the H & Rs? any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 02-27-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: H & R Spring compatibility

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
i dropped my car off at a local mechanic with my H&R's to be put on my 98. well, he called me a little bit ago and said that the spring doesn't fit right, like it's too big. i have the SE struts in front. does anyone have any experience with these? he said (and i already knew) that one of the struts are blown anyways. should i spend a little extra cash and get kyb gr2's? would they fit the H & Rs? any help would be appreciated. thanks!
That sounds a little weird. I don't think whether or not it's a GXE or SE matters, the H&R's should be the same for either one. Did your mechanic actually try to install it yet, or did he just eyeball it and say it won't fit. I did the springs on my 97 myself and had no problems.

KYB's, Tokicos or the stock struts will work with H&R's. If you don't upgrade the struts they won't last as long on a lowered car, though there are some people on this board who report no problems with stock struts on H&R's.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:49 AM

that's what i figured as well. he also said he needs the part "between the strut mount and the strut" i think is what he said. would he just be talking about a bushing inbetween the two or what? it's been awhile since i've had my suspension apart.....
Old 02-27-2002, 08:59 AM

that's what i figured as well. he also said he needs the part "between the strut mount and the strut" i think is what he said. would he just be talking about a bushing inbetween the two or what? it's been awhile since i've had my suspension apart.....
I don't remember exactly what it's called either, but it sounds like the rubber piece the spring sits in and the strut extends through before it bolts on to the car. H&R's shouldn't have anything to do with this though. It should already be on your car and it isn't a part that could have fallen off. The H&R's are a direct replacement for your stock springs and you shouldn't need any additonal parts to install them.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:04 AM

The bushing thing he is talkin about is the bump stop. That save you from bottoming out. If you decide to go with kyb get the bumpstop and boot kit. Will cost you about 40-50 bucks for all 4 corners
Old 02-27-2002, 09:15 AM

okay, thanks a bunch. now, if i decide not to get the kyb, would that bumpstop kit still fit? or should i spend the money ordering stock replacement parts?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
The bushing thing he is talkin about is the bump stop. That save you from bottoming out. If you decide to go with kyb get the bumpstop and boot kit. Will cost you about 40-50 bucks for all 4 corners
How is this different than what's on the car and why do you need it with the KYB's? Are you talking AGX or GR2?
Old 02-27-2002, 11:34 AM

If you go with oem bump stops and boots it will fit..Just that if you go with KYB the kyb bumpstops and boots will fit better. Either way u'll be fine. You should be able to keep what you have on your car already if they are not worn out.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
If you go with oem bump stops and boots it will fit..Just that if you go with KYB the kyb bumpstops and boots will fit better. Either way u'll be fine. You should be able to keep what you have on your car already if they are not worn out.
Thanks, just trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to need to do when I go to the AGX's next month.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Thanks, just trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to need to do when I go to the AGX's next month.
Im getting AGX next month too. I have tokicos now. They came with bumpstops. So im going to use those and my original boots. I cant wait to get the AGX installed
Old 02-27-2002, 12:55 PM

well, i'd love the kyb agx units, but they're a little out of my price range at this moment. besides, i've got some g/c coilovers sitting aside for koni's only. so i'm gonna build a setup with those :-D
Old 02-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: H & R Spring compatibility

GR-2s and Tokicos are direct replacement for your stock shocks/struts. I had my stock SE suspenion replaced with H&Rs and Toks not too long ago. No problem here. I had my mechanic do it, too.

DW