4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Q: about brakes/rotors/ and vibrating feeling when stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 11:19 AM

Q: about brakes/rotors/ and vibrating feeling when stopping.

hmm i started a search to lookup what could be possible bent rotors or sumthin... but i'm not sure now. If you guys can give me an idea on what exactly i should heck out, it would be great. I know a search on bent rotors, or vibrations when braking would turn up some informaiton... the last part i figured would not.

Basically when i brake i get a vibrating sound from my front brakes.
I tried using the hand brake and it's just smooth blowing down without a sound. But when i apply the brakes, the slightest touch and i start feeling through the brake pedal the vibrations coming from the brakes. Like the rotor is bent or sumthin...

Now the other part....

When i'm going slow enough that i'm almost stopped, i let go of the brake a bit to make the stop not feel so abrupt. When i do this, the bump/vibrating type sound and feeling, turns into a clicking type of sound. i just hear clink... clink..... clink...... clink.... until i'm stopped.

Uhm anyone have an idea if that's still rotor related or?

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 02-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You have warped rotors. Have Nissan or a machine shop resurface them for you. Personally I'd let Nissan do the job, they turn the rotors while there on the car. This assured a true to the hub surface. I think I paid around 60 bucks for the service. Don't let them talk you into new pads if you don't need them. Inspect your brakes before you bring the car in so you know exactly whats needed. If you do need pads and don't want to do the job yourself, then maybe let Nissan do it for you. Make sure they don't rape you. A front brake job should be in the area of 150 to 200 bucks. That should include pads and turning/resurfacing your rotors. If your lucky you might find a special going on for brake service. Ive seen it as low as 99 bucks.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:45 PM

and...

After you get the rotors turned, be sure the click, click noise has gone away. If not, have the CV joints checked...
Old 02-28-2002, 01:06 PM

cool cool

thanks emoore924 and njmaxseltd

maybe next week i'll take it down to nissan to get it checked.

I'm hoping it's not the cv joints... the vibrating pulsing sound dies down as i apply less on the brake when i'm near stopping... but instead is replaced by the clicking type sound... weird...

weird...
Old 02-28-2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You have warped rotors. Have Nissan or a machine shop resurface them for you. Personally I'd let Nissan do the job, they turn the rotors while there on the car. This assured a true to the hub surface. I think I paid around 60 bucks for the service. Don't let them talk you into new pads if you don't need them. Inspect your brakes before you bring the car in so you know exactly whats needed. If you do need pads and don't want to do the job yourself, then maybe let Nissan do it for you. Make sure they don't rape you. A front brake job should be in the area of 150 to 200 bucks. That should include pads and turning/resurfacing your rotors. If your lucky you might find a special going on for brake service. Ive seen it as low as 99 bucks.
oh.. when i get the rotors resurfaced... do you recommend i get left and right done? or does it matter? I'm going to get both sides done... but i'm just curious just because i'm curious

also, when the rotor is resufaced, will the braking change? ie: will it stop faster, or take longer, or?

sorry, just don't have much knowledge in the brake/rotor field
Old 02-28-2002, 01:29 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by multiplexor

oh.. when i get the rotors resurfaced... do you recommend i get left and right done? or does it matter? I'm going to get both sides done... but i'm just curious just because i'm curious

also, when the rotor is resufaced, will the braking change? ie: will it stop faster, or take longer, or?

sorry, just don't have much knowledge in the brake/rotor field
You should turn both rotors...
You feel the 'difference' due mostly to the new pads (get good ones). The absence of vibration will be due to the 'true' rotors.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Chunger

You should turn both rotors...
You feel the 'difference' due mostly to the new pads (get good ones). The absence of vibration will be due to the 'true' rotors.
aha, excellent thank you much
Old 03-01-2002, 03:33 AM

Or just replace the rotors instead of having them turned. If they turn them, they will probably warp again in a while...
Old 03-01-2002, 05:53 AM
baby_boy21

I plan on getting new rotors from autozone for like $28. My rotors have a groove on them as if debri got stuck, so I have to replace one of them.

Old 03-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To keep rotors from warping it's important to torque the wheel lugs to the proper spec. Around 90 ft lbs I believe for the Maxima