4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NightRider
I have the Cattman Coilovers and would not recommend them to anyone. I can attest to many races won and quick turning because of the coilovers though. They will make your car handle like a formula one race car. However, they have the worse ride quality known. I've ridden and driven many Maximas with different setups. Even some without bumpstops and tokicos (not a good combination). And all have felt better and more refined than the Cattmans. Not only that, the quality of the suspension is not there. I've owned them for about a year, and already have experienced a broken front strut mount, sagging front springs, and a broken rear strut piston. There is hardly any spacing between the coils on the front springs which results in binding while driving on any roads other than a newly paved highway. Since they were cheaply made, it's impossible to dial in the correct ride height or keep your wheels aligned properly. I'm am very dissatisfied with this setup and urge others to exercise caution before selecting this suspension.

i thought cattman coils were basically done up ground controls with agx's (meaning camber crap and stuff combined into it) im gettin ground controls, anyone with the same feedback, i plan on gettin custom springs from grond control if mine are too ruff
Old 03-20-2002, 07:03 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Suspension Questions answered

At what point do you need a camber kit when lowering?
I'm currently on Eibach/Tokico, which is a bit harsh on PA roads compared to stock SE setup (it handles great though).
I got them in a set for $510 from Stillen.
I'm looking at H&R, B&G or Maxspeed for the softer spring, but the drop is lower than Eibach (except possibyl H&R?), possibly making it as harsh as before on OEM-like struts. I guess KYB AGX is the only real choice these days if I swap them out.
Any thoughts on any of the above mentioned springs with AGX?

Originally posted by SuDZ
Springs
H&R
Drop: 1.3 – 1.5 inches
Ride Quality: Closest to the stock SE spring. They will give you a nice drop without having a very harsh ride.
Eibach
Drop 1.5 inches in the front 1.3 in the rear
Ride Quality: Comparable to H&R. The difference will be felt though. They are a harder spring then H&R.
Maxspeed
Drop: 1.7 inches in the front and 1.4 inches in the back.
Ride Quality: Almost like they were there stock SE springs.
B+G
Drop: 1.6 inches
Ride Quality: On back roads where it begins to get bumpy ride can become harsh. Smooth on flatter main/highway type roads.

Struts
KYB – AGX

Right now they are one of the most common struts for the Maxima. They have a great reputation with these struts as far as lasting without any problems. They are 8 way adjustableon the back and 4 way adjustable on the front, which means that they have 4 or 8 separate settings on them to control how firm you want them. They firmness is changeable while still on the car unlike some others where you have to remove the wheels.

Cost: Around $400.00
Tokico
These are a direct OEM replacement for your Maxima. Basicly if a strut blows you can get them rplaced with thes under warranty. They are a strut that is not made for the extra work of a big drop but a bit more aggressive than stock. Since they have that somewhat stock side to them your not going to want a very big or harsh drop on these. for more info check uot this link.
http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/performance.html

Cost: Still looking

SuDZ [/B]
Old 03-21-2002, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

No, you're not on Eibach's and H&Rs

DW

Originally posted by philpoe
I'm currently on Eibach/H&R . . .
Old 03-21-2002, 09:13 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

!!!
No wonder I was complaining about the ride!

Originally posted by dwapenyi
No, you're not on Eibach's and H&Rs

DW

Old 03-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

You may not need a camber kit. When my SE was stock, I put 17s on it. They wore un-evenly because they were off camber. I knew i needed an alignment, but since I was going to upgrade the suspension soon, I decided against it. When I put on my H&Rs and Toks, I immediately got an alignment done. The alignment guy told me everything was in spec, no adjustment necessary. Now, 20,000 miles later proves him right. My tires have been wearing perfectly.

So, do the suspension change without the kit. If needed, add it later.

DW

I'm currently on Eibach/Tokico, which is a bit harsh on PA roads compared to stock SE setup (it handles great though).
I got them in a set for $510 from Stillen.
I'm looking at H&R, B&G or Maxspeed for the softer spring, but the drop is lower than Eibach (except possibyl H&R?), possibly making it as harsh as before on OEM-like struts. I guess KYB AGX is the only real choice these days if I swap them out.
Any thoughts on any of the above mentioned springs with AGX?

Old 03-21-2002, 12:16 PM

You may not need a camber kit. When my SE was stock, I put 17s on it. They wore un-evenly because they were off camber. I knew i needed an alignment, but since I was going to upgrade the suspension soon, I decided against it. When I put on my H&Rs and Toks, I immediately got an alignment done. The alignment guy told me everything was in spec, no adjustment necessary. Now, 20,000 miles later proves him right. My tires have been wearing perfectly.

DW

Is it something that is easy to add after the work of installing the new suspension has already been done?

SuDZ
Old 03-21-2002, 12:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

I couldn't really say, since I've never had one. I think te kit sits on the bolts, so you just add it on top, don't have to pull apart the suspension again. Hopefully someone else can clarify that.

DW

Is it something that is easy to add after the work of installing the new suspension has already been done?

SuDZ
Old 03-21-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

I couldn't really say, since I've never had one. I think te kit sits on the bolts, so you just add it on top, don't have to pull apart the suspension again. Hopefully someone else can clarify that.

DW

I think your right cause I was looking around a bit before I asked and got the idea that is all there really was to it. I was kinda just double checking here though since nobody ever really mentioned the install process in the other threads.

SuDZ
Old 03-21-2002, 10:30 PM
4 Maximas and counting

What I'm hoping to find out is if I'm planning to go with a new setup and an alignment, should I get the camber kit out of the way now? If I added it later I'd pay labor and another alignment, right?

The Maxspeed springs are looking like a decent candidate as they seem to be SE stock-like, except for the large drop (possibly requiring a camber kit). combined with some AGXs, I may have found a more suitable match. Otherwise I might go with H&R and ride a little higher.

DW

Old 03-22-2002, 05:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

Well, the idea is that you may not even need the camber kit at all. It's a chance, you call the shots. I have H&Rs and Toks running on 17x7s and I didn't need a kit at all. As for the Maxspeed springs, I find it hard to beleive that you can have the same ride as the stock SE setup with much less suspension travel. Something's got to give. If it does indeed ride like that, then it must bottom out alot, too.

DW

What I'm hoping to find out is if I'm planning to go with a new setup and an alignment, should I get the camber kit out of the way now? If I added it later I'd pay labor and another alignment, right?

The Maxspeed springs are looking like a decent candidate as they seem to be SE stock-like, except for the large drop (possibly requiring a camber kit). combined with some AGXs, I may have found a more suitable match. Otherwise I might go with H&R and ride a little higher.

Old 04-08-2002, 04:18 PM

I have tokiko/eibach. The installer forgot to put on the tokiko's (only put on eibachs)- I drove home without realizing thinking it was handling better that stock, but wasn't harsh at all. Then I went back and had him put the Tokiko's on - Great handling, but harsher than I would like - good on good roads, but tough on anything thats very bumpy. I'm over 30 now, maybe if I was 18 I wouldn't care.

Paid $580 shipped at atomicautosport (maybe I got ripped - probably average for online)
Old 04-08-2002, 05:13 PM

Wow, it has been a while since I updated this thread. I think it is time to add the following link

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ace+suspension

A very informative link when it comes to what else you may want to consider changing when you do your suspension. A lot of thanks to everyone one this thread that made it so helpfull. I will add it up top to my originol post as well.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2002, 02:19 AM

question on chains

When you lower your car with say H&R or Eibach or whatever, can you still put chains on easily? I have the stock 15 inch on my GLE and plan on going boarding again in the winter. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: question on chains

Originally posted by WDragonM
When you lower your car with say H&R or Eibach or whatever, can you still put chains on easily? I have the stock 15 inch on my GLE and plan on going boarding again in the winter. Thanks.
Do you mean like the type of chains you wrap aropund the tires? I am just checking because here it is illegal so I dont know if you mean something else. If that is what you mean how high off the tires do the chains come? This will help figure out how much space you need or will have.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2002, 11:40 AM

so whats gonna happen when i put my new maxspeeds in my 43k mile 98 I30 without replacing anything else?
Old 04-09-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Brendan98GT
so whats gonna happen when i put my new maxspeeds in my 43k mile 98 I30 without replacing anything else?
Some people find that they may need a suspension. Some people find a bit more noise. It is recommended that you at least check other components to make sure nothing will lead you to take the suspension apart at some other time to do repairs. It cant hurt.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2002, 02:38 PM

Bump!

Excellent thread suDZ!

Can you say stickie? or is it sticky? whatever, why isn't it up top??!!
Old 04-09-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Str8ridin

I would say it's not a sticky because people can still search! I'm all for stickies, but we need a sticky forum or something. Granted there aren't too many stickies, but the more there are the less room there is for normal posts. As it stands many good posts are skipped in favor of redundant intake/bulb/suspension questions so why make it worse
-hype
Old 04-09-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Str8ridin
Bump!

Excellent thread suDZ!

Thanks, I actually created it maybe a month or two ago if you look at the dates. There is one that is basicly the same idea but regarding Exhaust components around here somewhere that I made the day after this one. Glad you found some use for it.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Re: question on chains

Yeah, the chains that wrap around the tires. I have cables though (look like springs wrapped around cables, instead of actual chains). I did a search and found that people in snowy areas recommended having coilovers like ground control, but I wasn't exactly sure why because it seems like the chains will still fit with the drop. I don't have a body kit and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon so I was wondering if there was some other issue that might make coilovers preferable to regular springs in snowy conditions.

Do you mean like the type of chains you wrap aropund the tires? I am just checking because here it is illegal so I dont know if you mean something else. If that is what you mean how high off the tires do the chains come? This will help figure out how much space you need or will have.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: question on chains

Originally posted by WDragonM
Yeah, the chains that wrap around the tires. I have cables though (look like springs wrapped around cables, instead of actual chains). I did a search and found that people in snowy areas recommended having coilovers like ground control, but I wasn't exactly sure why because it seems like the chains will still fit with the drop. I don't have a body kit and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon so I was wondering if there was some other issue that might make coilovers preferable to regular springs in snowy conditions.

Well the main reason people may have wanted to haev the coilvers is because if snow happens to come then you can aise the car back up to stock height within about 10 minutes or so. Some people feel safer and more comfortable at that height when conditions are bad. That is just their personal opinoin.

As far as the chains having enough room you have to figure it this way, inside the fender goes up higher than you will see from the outside, this gives you enough room to run the cables without having too many issues or any at all. I mean they are not going to be moer than 3 inches thick right? That is about how much room you will have in there. Also if your using a stock sized tire, which during the winter I would assume yes, then there should really be no clearence issues.

SuDZ
Old 08-03-2002, 10:59 AM

nice write up!
Old 08-04-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by iregula
nice write up!
Thanks

SuDZ
Old 08-06-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: Thanks SUDZ

Originally posted by dlicari
maxspeed springs can be picked up on a group deal for under $100 dollars. I will let you know the drop after I install tomorrow.
BigDog Jonx gor 1.7 and 1.4 from them.

Where can i find this group deal?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:09 PM

Re: Re: Thanks SUDZ

Originally posted by magnum658

Where can i find this group deal?
In the group deals section

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=140456
Old 08-06-2002, 07:31 PM

Thanks

SuDZ
If i get maxpeed springs or any other springs or coilover will i be ok with my stock struts or will i need to get new ones?
Old 08-07-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by magnum658

If i get maxpeed springs or any other springs or coilover will i be ok with my stock struts or will i need to get new ones?
Your questions can be answered with a search. Use it.

A drop will put more stress on your shocks and likely cause premature failure, also your ride will likely have exagerated rebound with short springs and soft shocks. However, many people still use their stock shocks until they have the cash to get a good set of aftermarket shock/struts. I think doing this with coilovers or a drop over 1.7in would be a mistake, but if your on a budget, using less aggresive springs(ie, maxspeed, h&r...) and dont mind tearing your suspension apart twice for springs and shocks then you can do it.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by 97GLE

Your questions can be answered with a search. Use it.

A drop will put more stress on your shocks and likely cause premature failure, also your ride will likely have exagerated rebound with short springs and soft shocks. However, many people still use their stock shocks until they have the cash to get a good set of aftermarket shock/struts. I think doing this with coilovers or a drop over 1.7in would be a mistake, but if your on a budget, using less aggresive springs(ie, maxspeed, h&r...) and dont mind tearing your suspension apart twice for springs and shocks then you can do it.
Also if you are paying someone to do it for you, you will end up paying them twice.

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 07:04 AM

If you guys had a 98 I30T and you were putting 18" wheels on it but also wanted to lower it, would you go Eibachs? Intrax? or H&Rs? To be able to get that even drop since the back sits a little lower than the front. I live in Massachusetts and the roads here can get a little bumpy, so I wouldn't want something that will give a very harsh ride on not so smooth roads. Tell me what you think.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

awesome, SUDZ! Can I use that info for my NEMAXIMA site too? :} I will be putting together a how-to with lots of pictures shortly.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:45 PM

A-RokI30T, I am in Massachusetts as well. Now you said your looking for a harsh ride on not so smooth roads? I am wondering if you did this a bit off and are asking for a not so harsh ride on massachusetts roads ? If so then you might want to consider the H&R's only because they have a nice smooth ride to them that will feel almost like stock as far as how hard they hit bumps. I have ridden in a few cars with them and they are very easy to get along with, as compared to cars where you feel every little touch in the road. Plus they wwill still have a noticeable drop that will reduce the wheel wells nicely.

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 04:49 PM

Lime- Sure you can. I put it together a while ago. I think It is also under the FAQ section of Maxima Forum.

Thanks for the compliment.

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 09:14 PM

A-RokI30T, I am in Massachusetts as well. Now you said your looking for a harsh ride on not so smooth roads? I am wondering if you did this a bit off and are asking for a not so harsh ride on massachusetts roads ? If so then you might want to consider the H&R's only because they have a nice smooth ride to them that will feel almost like stock as far as how hard they hit bumps. I have ridden in a few cars with them and they are very easy to get along with, as compared to cars where you feel every little touch in the road. Plus they wwill still have a noticeable drop that will reduce the wheel wells nicely.

SuDZ
SuDZ, sorry, what I meant to say is that I would like a somewhat smooth ride because i live In Massachusetts and the streets in my area are horrible. but i'm willing to sacrifice a little harshness if i can get a nice even drop front and back. I'm putting 18x8.5s on my I30T so i'm not looking for a 2" or even lower drop, just something that will give it a sweet look, but most of all an even drop. somewhere between 1.5 - 1.7" in the front and maybe 1.4 - 1.5" in the back. money is not an issue, because i'm looking more for quality, but with all these choices i just can't make up my mind, and there are not too many pictures that i can look at with various lowering springs to see how the maxima/i30 sits on them. Any info that can simplify my decision will be great. Let me know what you think SuDZ or any of you guys. Thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by A-RokI30T

SuDZ, sorry, what I meant to say is that I would like a somewhat smooth ride because i live In Massachusetts and the streets in my area are horrible. but i'm willing to sacrifice a little harshness if i can get a nice even drop front and back. I'm putting 18x8.5s on my I30T so i'm not looking for a 2" or even lower drop, just something that will give it a sweet look, but most of all an even drop. somewhere between 1.5 - 1.7" in the front and maybe 1.4 - 1.5" in the back. money is not an issue, because i'm looking more for quality, but with all these choices i just can't make up my mind, and there are not too many pictures that i can look at with various lowering springs to see how the maxima/i30 sits on them. Any info that can simplify my decision will be great. Let me know what you think SuDZ or any of you guys. Thanks
Well I can tell you I live in Massachusetts as well and ride with the MaxSpeed springs. They are a cheaper in price but as far as quality goes they are excellent. I have had them on for a few months now and they still ride nice and firm and do look nice. I have stock rims for now but the way it eliminates the wheel well is excellent. Very noticeable drop that makes the ride look better seated while not being overly harsh when driving. I do feel it a bit more when I hit a harder bump but not much more than stock.
I dont know where you live but in Lowell where I am the road conditions bascily range from smoother paved areas to potholes large enough to lose a civic in to roads that are still old cobblestones downtown to combinations of them all. It is a tough town on suspension but the maxspeeds have help up well against it. I would recommend them again to someone intrested in buying springs in our area.

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 11:21 PM

Well I can tell you I live in Massachusetts as well and ride with the MaxSpeed springs. They are a cheaper in price but as far as quality goes they are excellent. I have had them on for a few months now and they still ride nice and firm and do look nice. I have stock rims for now but the way it eliminates the wheel well is excellent. Very noticeable drop that makes the ride look better seated while not being overly harsh when driving. I do feel it a bit more when I hit a harder bump but not much more than stock.
I dont know where you live but in Lowell where I am the road conditions bascily range from smoother paved areas to potholes large enough to lose a civic in to roads that are still old cobblestones downtown to combinations of them all. It is a tough town on suspension but the maxspeeds have help up well against it. I would recommend them again to someone intrested in buying springs in our area.

SuDZ
i have eibachas and i dive thru worcester all the time... eibachs are wayyy harsh.. but the drop is beautiful... and it might be extra harsh on my car.. cuz right now all my shocks are blown...
Old 08-18-2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut

i have eibachas and i dive thru worcester all the time... eibachs are wayyy harsh.. but the drop is beautiful... and it might be extra harsh on my car.. cuz right now all my shocks are blown...
What kind of struts were you running on you car?

SuDZ
Old 12-23-2002, 02:52 AM
Playboycutie69

springs stiffness

Does stiffer springs mean better handling and cornering? Or does it just mean that u feel the bumps better? Because I seen drops eibach and a few others and I think the max looks better as low as it can be(because it is so damn high to begin with), This makes me think thte best thing for me going for the look I want is getting Sprint springs with the agxs. Then with the 18's I plan on getting that **** shoot look crazy sweet.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 AM

Try to keep the thread on topic guys. I dont want this one to run away since it has a lot of good input.

SuDZ

Clee - stupid posts were deleted.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:56 AM
Beast Mode!!!

bump bump bump

Why doesnt someone sticky this up?

-95SE
Old 03-17-2003, 06:42 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Suspension Questions answered

Do the Motivational Engineering front struts and rear mounts deserve mention in here?

Lately there have been tons of suspension questions coming up regarding things like coilovers, struts, springs, etc. I thought that maybe we could throw something together as a type of guide. I know that this will not be answering all of the questions out there or that this is the most definitive guide but it cant hurt. If anyone has anything that they can add to this for me then as you show me more info I will change it here. I don’t know if this thread will just die but might be helpful one day to people who are searching for info.
<snip>
SuDZ

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions answered