4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 AM

SuDZ,

You recommend MaxSpeed springs in this thread, but just a thread or two back, you recommend the H&R's to the same guy. So, which ones do you recommend for a stock like ride?

Originally posted by SuDZ

Well I can tell you I live in Massachusetts as well and ride with the MaxSpeed springs. They are a cheaper in price but as far as quality goes they are excellent. I have had them on for a few months now and they still ride nice and firm and do look nice. I have stock rims for now but the way it eliminates the wheel well is excellent. Very noticeable drop that makes the ride look better seated while not being overly harsh when driving. I do feel it a bit more when I hit a harder bump but not much more than stock.
I dont know where you live but in Lowell where I am the road conditions bascily range from smoother paved areas to potholes large enough to lose a civic in to roads that are still old cobblestones downtown to combinations of them all. It is a tough town on suspension but the maxspeeds have help up well against it. I would recommend them again to someone intrested in buying springs in our area.

SuDZ
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by chopperman69
SuDZ,

You recommend MaxSpeed springs in this thread, but just a thread or two back, you recommend the H&R's to the same guy. So, which ones do you recommend for a stock like ride?

This is an old thread (over 1 year old) where people have used his starting point as a reference for their spring purchases. Manypeople say that H&R give the most stock-like ride. This is clear. After that it gets all muddy in reference to MaxSpeeds. Some equate them to H&Rs while others say that they are the most harsh ride available. Respected members on both sides have given input. What is clear is that MaxSpeeds are cheap, but for actual comfort of ride the results are mixed.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:18 AM

I'm still confused, does harshness equate to handling or is handling an independent factor of ride harshness?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by jkotel
I'm still confused, does harshness equate to handling or is handling an independent factor of ride harshness?
A VERY good suspension can give a good ride and good handling, but to have an exrtemely good ride or extremely good handling you have to sacrifice the other to some extent. To soak up bumps you have to have soft suspension, which make the car more mushy in torns. To have solid handling the suspension must be more firm, making the ride more harsh. The key is to find the right compromise.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:53 PM

ok i have read this thres from begining to end.. and am confused

Here is what i am looking for... i have the fstb and teh progress rsb and handleing is Awsome.. But i want to get rims and tires and i have heard that to get rims to look good and not like a 4x4 i need to lower it... And i Do want to.. at least 1" but now here is were i am confused.. i live in New Hampshire and the roads up here Suck.. pot holes and frost heaves and just all around ruff roads... i like the feel of my soft suspension. how can i lower the car and keep my car from feeling like its going to fall apart or break apart.

SuDZ says Maxsprings and i will trust that becuase i live maybe 50 or so miles north of him hehehe but what about the struts?

the combination of the 2 and i am assuming the rid will also depend on the stiffness of the tires them self right?

Love my max but need to keep it real.. and get rid of these damn steel crap
Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Geophrum
SuDZ says Maxsprings and i will trust that becuase i live maybe 50 or so miles north of him hehehe but what about the struts?
Well if you go to adjustable struts like AGX's or what not then you can set them for more of less of a stiff ride as you see fit. This way if you think setting 1 (softest) is right for you then so be it if you think 4 or 8(hardest) is then leave it there. It really opens you up for a few extra options.

SuDZ
Old 03-27-2003, 08:24 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

maxspeeds

so whats the final decision on maxspeeds.... is it a you get what u pay for situation?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:05 PM

Re: maxspeeds

Originally posted by nismos14
so whats the final decision on maxspeeds.... is it a you get what u pay for situation?
I like them. I think they ride well, they have been on now for about a year or so without issue. I did not get any sagging as they got older. I would buy them again if I were doing it all over.

SuDZ
Old 03-27-2003, 01:22 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Re: Re: maxspeeds

I like them. I think they ride well, they have been on now for about a year or so without issue. I did not get any sagging as they got older. I would buy them again if I were doing it all over.

SuDZ
how much of a drop did u get out of them?
Old 03-28-2003, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds

how much of a drop did u get out of them?
From the first page of this thread:

Maxspeed

Drop: 1.7 inches in the front and 1.4 inches in the back.

SuDZ
Old 03-28-2003, 02:33 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Re: Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds

From the first page of this thread:

Maxspeed

Drop: 1.7 inches in the front and 1.4 inches in the back.

SuDZ
outta curiosity is that measured? or what they advertised?
Old 03-30-2003, 06:12 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing and using some Ground Control Coilovers with my stock (7 year old) struts to lower my car by about 2 inches.

What do you guys think of that? Am I just asking for trouble and a VERY harsh and bumpy ride?

Also, does anyone have an email address for the guys at Ground Control? I live in Australia and it's a bit hard for me to call up and ask for advice.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:16 AM
I need a truck

Originally posted by Clement
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing and using some Ground Control Coilovers with my stock (7 year old) struts to lower my car by about 2 inches.

What do you guys think of that? Am I just asking for trouble and a VERY harsh and bumpy ride?

Also, does anyone have an email address for the guys at Ground Control? I live in Australia and it's a bit hard for me to call up and ask for advice.

Thanks.
ground control coilovers and stock struts will kill your stock struts very fast ... i would recommend getting some aftermarket struts, like KYB AGX's or Tokico Blue's er somethin like that
Old 03-30-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Conrad283

ground control coilovers and stock struts will kill your stock struts very fast ... i would recommend getting some aftermarket struts, like KYB AGX's or Tokico Blue's er somethin like that

Ok, what about SPRINT lowering springs and stock struts?
Do you think it's more worth it to:
a) KYB AGX struts and Ground Control Coilover; or
b) KYB AGX struts and SPRINT lowering springs.

And the end of the day, I'm trying to lower my Maxima (Cross between and I30 and Maxima) to close the MASSIVE gap between my 18" rims and fender.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:47 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by Clement

Ok, what about SPRINT lowering springs and stock struts?
Do you think it's more worth it to:
a) KYB AGX struts and Ground Control Coilover; or
b) KYB AGX struts and SPRINT lowering springs.

And the end of the day, I'm trying to lower my Maxima (Cross between and I30 and Maxima) to close the MASSIVE gap between my 18" rims and fender.
when u lower ur car stock struts are out of the question, they cannot handle the drop they will blow out quick after u install the springs
Old 03-31-2003, 10:01 AM

when u lower ur car stock struts are out of the question, they cannot handle the drop they will blow out quick after u install the springs
Exactly. Really even a "softer" setup like H&R's are going to kill your stock struts. It is just a matter of how long. If you want to upgrade them but not spend a whole bunch then maybe look into GR-2's or something that is non adjustable but a much lower price and seems to work pretty well.

SuDZ
Old 03-31-2003, 10:14 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

hey SuDZ was the drop on your maxspeeds measured? or just what maxspeed advertised? also i forgot to ask what struts u used
Old 03-31-2003, 03:52 PM

hey SuDZ was the drop on your maxspeeds measured? or just what maxspeed advertised? also i forgot to ask what struts u used
That is the advertised number. It is hard to actually measure what yours will be because it will vary from the first day you install them to about 3 weeks later. Looking at a stock max though I would say it is farely close to that number.

I use KYB AGX struts.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Suspension Questions answered

[i]

KYB- GR2
Now a little bit older and seems to have taken a back seat to the AGX’s are the GR2’s. Still, it is not a bad strut that has had few complaints. They are nice for a replacement strut to go with a drop, but keep that stock ride feeling.

Cost: About $207

SuDZ [/B]
Where did you find GR2 for $207? The closes I've seen would be $275.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:40 AM

check the group deal forums, i got my gr2s for around 235 shipped.

BTW the ride with the eibachs is awsome
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Post # 100!

Seriously, the GR2s are available @ advance auto, tirerack, and through the Group deal forum.

$207 is not likely to be a current price, but under $250 is certainly reasonable...
Old 04-09-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Post # 100!

Seriously, the GR2s are available @ advance auto, tirerack, and through the Group deal forum.

$207 is not likely to be a current price, but under $250 is certainly reasonable...
TireRack is the one that has the GR2's for $272.00. For this price, I might spend a little more and get the AGXs.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

Originally posted by Brockster

Where did you find GR2 for $207? The closes I've seen would be $275.
There may have been deals at the time. Also it could have been around when the AGX's were released and that could have effected the price.

SuDZ
Old 04-09-2003, 03:10 PM

I decided to buy the AGX's.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:38 PM

I decided to buy the AGX's.
Now get them installed and have fun testing.

SuDZ
Old 04-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TireRack is the one that has the GR2's for $272.00. For this price, I might spend a little more and get the AGXs.
I called discount tire direct and I told him that GR2s were $281 shipped from Tirerack, he offered them to me for $270 shipped.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

ok i got sprints and there going in saturday, by a harsh ride do you mean bouncy or still like "jaring" cause i want a still ride rather than it bouncing around
Old 04-10-2003, 10:23 PM

Now get them installed and have fun testing.

SuDZ
I have to get the Maxspeed springs and OEM strut mounts, then I'm ready to install. It's rather hard to find someone selling Maxspeed, except on Ebay. Maybe they have a low price markup.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:53 AM

SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

making a ranking of the ride harshness of all the different springs like from soft to hard.
like:
1. H&R
2. xxx
3. xxx
ETC

I'm putting you in charge of that!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

Originally posted by luckee2bhere
making a ranking of the ride harshness of all the different springs like from soft to hard.
like:
1. H&R
2. xxx
3. xxx
ETC

I'm putting you in charge of that!
We have tried that. There are some donatign members working on it, but it always ends up in a fistfight over the internet...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

Originally posted by phenryiv1

We have tried that. There are some donatign members working on it, but it always ends up in a fistfight over the internet...
yeah ...thats why SUDZ gets to do it all by himself...ill trust him
Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

yeah ...thats why SUDZ gets to do it all by himself...ill trust him
There is the problem though, I havent tried all the setups. So I would be ranking them based on the same hearsay the arguments are fought over. I know the idea makes sence in theory but I dont really have an efficient reliable way to do so.

SuDZ
Old 04-21-2003, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

There is the problem though, I havent tried all the setups. So I would be ranking them based on the same hearsay the arguments are fought over. I know the idea makes sence in theory but I dont really have an efficient reliable way to do so.

SuDZ
ahhhhh man!!!!!!! I know that it will not be 100% accurate but it would be cool to have that sort of list. You could just put a disclaimer at the top of the post saying that this is an estimate based on information that you have compiled from many different people.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

ahhhhh man!!!!!!! I know that it will not be 100% accurate but it would be cool to have that sort of list. You could just put a disclaimer at the top of the post saying that this is an estimate based on information that you have compiled from many different people.
That's pretty much what he has at the begginning of this thread (or at least that's the way I took it). After I read it, I just ranked them myself based on the info he listed.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SUDZ, I think a good addition to this thread would be...

Originally posted by maxhead

That's pretty much what he has at the begginning of this thread (or at least that's the way I took it). After I read it, I just ranked them myself based on the info he listed.
I saw the list at the beginning and it wasn't descriptive enough for me. Thats why I asked for the ranking...
Old 04-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Informative. Thanks
As there is no search feature. BUMP
Old 05-05-2003, 05:32 PM

Bump bump bump
Old 01-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I need a truck

Why isn't this a sticky?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Why isn't this a sticky?
If ANY suspension info page should be a sticky, it should be Drewm's front page: http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 01-28-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by luckee2bhere
I saw the list at the beginning and it wasn't descriptive enough for me. Thats why I asked for the ranking...

I did what I could with the info I got. I mean I can't really test overy spring setup that is out there personally so I just sort of did this one as I went along. I suppose it could use some updating. I am just glad it seems like it helped a few people along the way.

SuDZ

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions answered