4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 02:18 PM

Suspension Questions answered

Lately there have been tons of suspension questions coming up regarding things like coilovers, struts, springs, etc. I thought that maybe we could throw something together as a type of guide. I know that this will not be answering all of the questions out there or that this is the most definitive guide but it cant hurt. If anyone has anything that they can add to this for me then as you show me more info I will change it here. I don’t know if this thread will just die but might be helpful one day to people who are searching for info.

Springs

A few tips about springs cane be found at http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=72678
But one tip there mentioned this for the springs, "SPECIAL noise reduction element: helical split electrical wire wrap and/or clear vinyl tubing (1/2” inside diameter) from Home Depot (Lowes does NOT HAVE the wire wrap)....Wrap the whatever-you-use around the springs' tops and bottoms."

H&R

Drop: 1.3 – 1.5 inches
Ride Quality: Closest to the stock SE spring. They will give you a nice drop without having a very harsh ride.
Part Number: 53059
Cost: MSRP $299.00

Sprint

Drop: 2 inches
Ride Quality: It is going to be more harsh for everyday driving that the others, due to its large drop.
Part Number: 9500
Cost: MSRP 264.00

Eibach

Drop 1.5 inches in the front 1.3 in the rear
Ride Quality: Comparable to H&R. The difference will be felt though. They are a harder spring then H&R.
Part Number: 6334.140
Cost:

Maxspeed

Drop: 1.7 inches in the front and 1.4 inches in the back.
Ride Quality: Almost like they were there stock SE springs.
Part Number:
Cost: ~ $100

B+G

Drop: 1.6 inches
Ride Quality: On back roads where it begins to get bumpy ride can become harsh. Smooth on flatter main/highway type roads.
Part Number:
Cost: 159.00

Intrax
Drop: 1.7 inches in front 1.6 in back
Ride Quality: Stiff feeling.
Part Number: 60.1.016
Cost: MSRP Around $200

Progress
Drop: 1.7 inches in front 1.5 in back
Ride Quality: Stiffer than stock but still a soft spring rate. So you will feel bumps more but still have a comfortable ride.
Part Number: 40.1520
Cost: MSRP Around $259

Suspention Techniques
Drop: 1.7" drop in the front and a 1.5" drop in the rear. Ride: relatively harsh over normal surfaces (worse than the Intrax), but never got worse over bigger bumps (better than the Intrax).
Part Number:
Price:

Matrix
Drop: 2" front and back
Ride: Yet to be determined
Part Number: Could not find part number but can be ordered at www.2kracing.com
Price: $165

Struts

KYB – AGX

Right now they are one of the most common struts for the Maxima. They have a great reputation with these struts as far as lasting without any problems. They are 8 way adjustableon the back and 4 way adjustable on the front, which means that they have 4 or 8 separate settings on them to control how firm you want them. They firmness is changeable while still on the car unlike some others where you have to remove the wheels.

Cost: Around $400.00

KYB- GR2
Now a little bit older and seems to have taken a back seat to the AGX’s are the GR2’s. Still, it is not a bad strut that has had few complaints. They are nice for a replacement strut to go with a drop, but keep that stock ride feeling.

Cost: About $207

Koni

Again this another adjustable strut. Although one thing is to adjust the rear the wheels will have to be removed to do so. This strut was a long time favorite for the Maxima. It has a great reputation and comes with a lifetime warranty. It will however need to be modified before it can be installed. To find out what type of modifications it needs check out this link for more info, http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/koni.html

Tokico

These are a direct OEM replacement for your Maxima. Basicly if a strut blows you can get them rplaced with thes under warranty. They are a strut that is not made for the extra work of a big drop but a bit more aggressive than stock. Since they have that somewhat stock side to them your not going to want a very big or harsh drop on these. for more info check uot this link.
http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/performance.html

Cost: Still looking

Coilovers

Ground Control

Ground control makes a per order coilover. What I mean by this is that they will make it custom for you as far as spring rates etc. Most people tell you they are very stiff or harsh. This is mainly because they have the stock spring ratio. The main difference between coilvers and springs is simple. You can raise and lower the coilovers. To lower them you use a special wrench tool that comes with them and you can set them by turning them to lower the stance. To raise them back up though, you will have to remove the wheels.

The cost is about $400 from Ground Control

Weapon R

They are based on the same idea as far as raising and lowering capabilities. These however can be lowered down further than the Ground Controls. Now as far as ride, this is a tough one. Many people say that the ride is rough and uncomfortable. But some people such as user pawn, actually have them on his car and he posts that he likes them all the time. You will want a higher grade strut with these though. My recommendation is go either KYB or Koni for the best results. The cost is around $300 for these coilovers.

OBX

Not alot of information was found on them either on this weboste or there own. They do however make a coilover kit for 95+ maximas. You can check this link here http://www.obxracingsports.com/index2.htm and you will notice it is in the picture. Most of the posts I did find were a little weary of them though. Also no pricing was found on there page. Your best bet might be sending them an e-mail.

JIC-Magic
JIC makes full race coilovers. Also like the Ground control setup you can get different spring rates etc. They make setup mostly for Japeneese cars. They will run you around $1300 or so. This seems higher than the others but part of it might be because it is a full race suspension and also that it is imported.

Cattman

Well Cattman is now offering coilovers as well. Here is a paragraph from there page about them. "This Solo II race-proven suspension system provides phenomenal handling coupled with elegant street manners. Radically new design utilizes advanced coilover suspension technology, totally revamped from the first generation set and a Cattman Performance exclusive. This is a complete coilover suspension, including front camber fixtures, adjustable in every useful dimension for adaptation to every car and driving style. " They are running for $1800 and include shipping. There is also an upgrade package available for an additional $800. Check this link for more details http://www.cattman.com/suspension_prod.shtml#coilovers

Other considerations
You may be wondering what else you want to change now that you have the new struts and springs on there. There are a few things you want to check while you have everything apart. Instead of listing them here I will give you a thread I found extremely helpfull. Here it is

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ace+suspension

Where to buy.
Some places with very good prices are the following

www.custommaxima.com
www.shox.com
www.ebay.com
www.eatricezone.com
http://www.importstudio.bigstep.com/

SuDZ
Old 03-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks SUDZ

maxspeed springs can be picked up on a group deal for under $100 dollars. I will let you know the drop after I install tomorrow.
BigDog Jonx gor 1.7 and 1.4 from them.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:40 PM

Re: Thanks SUDZ

Originally posted by dlicari
maxspeed springs can be picked up on a group deal for under $100 dollars. I will let you know the drop after I install tomorrow.
BigDog Jonx gor 1.7 and 1.4 from them.
Thanks, I will add that in now.

SuDZ
Old 03-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Dont forget Tokico struts.

The Eibachs are much firmer than the H&R.

Also, mention Intrax and Progress springs.

And JIC coils.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Dont forget Tokico struts.

The Eibachs are much firmer than the H&R.

Also, mention Intrax and Progress springs.

And JIC coils.
I will try to find info on them here. You dont happen to have experience with them do you?

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 12:08 PM

Ok I updated the intrax info that was there. Now I just gotta find more B&G type stuff. If anyone has other suggestions keep them coming. That way we can get as many on here answered as people can think of. Or if anyone knows ride quality of springs and struts let me know too. For instance I am having a tough time finding info on Tokico so if you have em post here and then it gets another company on the list.

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 01:19 PM

If max springs seem so good, then why is the price so little?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:38 PM

I have B+G springs and AGX struts.. the ride quality is definetely harsher than stock SE springs.. I think it's mainly due to the AGX's, others have said they are a bit harsh too. If you drive over really bumpy roads I would not recommend them.. Also, the back appears to sit a little lower than the front.. Other than that, theyre good springs, body roll is decreased and cornering ability is very improved.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by silentbuzz
If max springs seem so good, then why is the price so little?
Sometimes when companies are first starting out they have to have a lower price to compete with the bigger brands. Alot of brands are selling a product based on the name anyhow. Sort of like how some people look for "Nike" brand over K-mart when shopping for shoes. Basically the same deal but more expensive for one over the other. Could be the same deal here.

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747
I have B+G springs and AGX struts.. the ride quality is definetely harsher than stock SE springs.. I think it's mainly due to the AGX's, others have said they are a bit harsh too. If you drive over really bumpy roads I would not recommend them.. Also, the back appears to sit a little lower than the front.. Other than that, theyre good springs, body roll is decreased and cornering ability is very improved.
So it would seem fair to say that if we posted up top that the ride was "a little harsh on bumpy roads" then it would be accurate from your expeirience?

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

So it would seem fair to say that if we posted up top that the ride was "a little harsh on bumpy roads" then it would be accurate from your expeirience?

SuDZ
yeah except my guess is that the ride is harsh because of the AGX struts, not the B+G's... overall the B+G's are a nice alternative to the H&R's I think, but be prepared for a harsher ride if you get AGX's.. I mean its not horrible but its definetely firmer than stock..

Also you should put a note to make sure to wrap the top 3 coils of the front springs with wire loom, to prevent suspension noises.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think soemone said it already, but Eibach's are harder than H&Rs. Also, when you say closest to stock, you may want to emphasize closest to a stock SE suspension. GXEs and GLEs suspensions are softer than SEs.

DW
Old 03-04-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I think soemone said it already, but Eibach's are harder than H&Rs. Also, when you say closest to stock, you may want to emphasize closest to a stock SE suspension. GXEs and GLEs suspensions are softer than SEs.

DW
Cool... made those changes.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: Suspension Questions answered

Where to buy.
Some places with very good prices are the following

www.custommaxima.com
www.shox.com
www.ebay.com
www.eatricezone.com

SuDZ [/B]
this is the site where i got my weapon r coilovers for 250

Old 03-04-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Suspension Questions answered

Originally posted by hockeyghst

this is the site where i got my weapon r coilovers for 250

Cool thanks. I added them to the list.

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 04:58 PM

I just installed my B+G/AGXs and I don't think it's too harsh at all. The list price on B+G is $179 at Shox.com, but as long as they continue their current deal (which Daryl said had no expiration) the springs are $159. I have my AGXs set to hard 4/8 and the ride is good on highway, decent on city roads, and a little rougher on residential roads. I haven't adjusted my shocks yet, but I imagine on the softer settings they would be pretty soft. You may also want to note on the AGXs that they are 4 way up front and 8 way in the back.
-hype
Old 03-05-2002, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I just installed my B+G/AGXs and I don't think it's too harsh at all. The list price on B+G is $179 at Shox.com, but as long as they continue their current deal (which Daryl said had no expiration) the springs are $159. I have my AGXs set to hard 4/8 and the ride is good on highway, decent on city roads, and a little rougher on residential roads. I haven't adjusted my shocks yet, but I imagine on the softer settings they would be pretty soft. You may also want to note on the AGXs that they are 4 way up front and 8 way in the back.
-hype
Cool, I did not really have feedback on the B=G's. I can add your info in there as well.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 03-05-2002, 09:40 AM

SuDZ

Good thread, might finally kill the suspension questions that come up 3 times a day

I wish someone would post Progress springs for 4th gen Maximas. bandera311 might be keen to post some feedback based on his Progress/AGX combo, upgraded from a stock SE suspension.

Also, would be nice if someone would offer a link to pics of different drops taken from the same angles (side, 3/4) comparing stock to each spring setup. I've read folks who got H&Rs but wasn't happy because the drop wasn't noticeable to them, while others might think it's just fine. To each their own, I suppose but pics would be a good way to go.

I can't contribute to any of the above coz I'm still on stock suspension, but I'm leaning to Progress/AGX now, especially since Brian (Cattman) has decent deals on the combo from time to time.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
SuDZ

Good thread, might finally kill the suspension questions that come up 3 times a day

I wish someone would post Progress springs for 4th gen Maximas. bandera311 might be keen to post some feedback based on his Progress/AGX combo, upgraded from a stock SE suspension.

Also, would be nice if someone would offer a link to pics of different drops taken from the same angles (side, 3/4) comparing stock to each spring setup. I've read folks who got H&Rs but wasn't happy because the drop wasn't noticeable to them, while others might think it's just fine. To each their own, I suppose but pics would be a good way to go.

I can't contribute to any of the above coz I'm still on stock suspension, but I'm leaning to Progress/AGX now, especially since Brian (Cattman) has decent deals on the combo from time to time.

As far as the pictures if somone had some and let me know either where they were hosted or if they were willing to give me some I may be able to host them. I will try looking around for Progress info. If anyone has some speak up, it would help alot.

SuDZ
Old 03-06-2002, 10:53 AM

Big thanks to SUDz

Excellent info and very timely given the tremendous amount of suspension talk. I definitely found it very useful. Thanks again!!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:59 AM

very impressed with the time and work put into this thread. I reccoment more info on progress sprigns if you could as i am also leaning towards that and agx's till i can get gc's
Old 03-06-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
very impressed with the time and work put into this thread. I reccoment more info on progress sprigns if you could as i am also leaning towards that and agx's till i can get gc's
Ok guys, those of you who asked for stuff on Progress spings are in luck. I found everything I was looking for. It is the last one under Springs.

SuDZ
Old 03-07-2002, 05:38 PM

SuDZ

Thanks for the Progress info, I think the MSRP price you quoted was too high, Brian from Cattman sold the Progress/AGX combo for $500 during a special, probably a bit more for normal purchase so I am sure the springs can go for cheaper.

www.cattman.com is Brian's website, but I didn't find any springs on there.

And I'm puzzled as to why Maxspeed and Progress springs can still mantain ride quality despite having a greater drop. I wonder which spring is better in terms of ride quality and/or handling?

Thanks for the info on the thread SuDZ

I recommend a sticky!
Old 03-08-2002, 05:40 AM

Don't forget the Tokico blues! Very much like the KYB-GR2s. They are a good economic replacement for stock SE but the rear shocks/struts don't work well, if at all, with with springs that drop over 2 inches. This applies to the KYB-GR2 and Toks.

DW
Old 03-08-2002, 06:58 AM

Don't forget the Tokico blues! Very much like the KYB-GR2s. They are a good economic replacement for stock SE but the rear shocks/struts don't work well, if at all, with with springs that drop over 2 inches. This applies to the KYB-GR2 and Toks.

DW
I have been trying to find Tokico Blues before and I could find people saying they had them but nothing about them. I wanted to get price info etc for them also. What do you mean by they dont work well? This wa I can update the post again.

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 07:17 AM

Ahhh, I bet I know why you couldn't find them. You were looking for Tokico Blues specifically, right?? Well, They're just regular Tokicos that happened to be blue I think they just inherited the nickname Tokico Blues.

As for the 2" inch drop, I've noticed alot of user's bad experiences with them once they dropped their car around 2" or so. Alot of bouncing around on the rear suspension. I've seen one instance with the GR-2 as well. I guess it's something to do with how they are mildly tuned performance shocks, not the really hard stuff like AGXs etc.

Anyways, here's the info on their website
http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/performance.html

DW

I have been trying to find Tokico Blues before and I could find people saying they had them but nothing about them. I wanted to get price info etc for them also. What do you mean by they dont work well? This wa I can update the post again.

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 07:27 AM
Granny Driven

Sprints/AGX KYB

I have srints with AGX shocks. The ride is more harsh then stock but its very ecceptable. I like it because the car responds and feels better at high speeds and low. I would recomend this combo to anyone. The fron sits a little lower then the back, it gives the car an agressive look. I believe all other springs are too high for a maxima. Even with 2 inches people tell me Im not lowered. And those people have maximas. I know its scary.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: Sprints/AGX KYB

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
I have srints with AGX shocks. The ride is more harsh then stock but its very ecceptable. I like it because the car responds and feels better at high speeds and low. I would recomend this combo to anyone. The fron sits a little lower then the back, it gives the car an agressive look. I believe all other springs are too high for a maxima. Even with 2 inches people tell me Im not lowered. And those people have maximas. I know its scary.
Odd that another maxima owner would thinkm you were stock height.

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 08:08 AM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Sprints/AGX KYB

Odd that another maxima owner would thinkm you were stock height.

SuDZ
It was dark.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Sprints/AGX KYB

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

It was dark.
At least that is more acceptable then

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've got some feedback

I've got Intrax springs and I think your estimated gaps are off. The front gap is ~2.3" and the rear gap is ~1.5". Overall, Intrax springs will give you a full 2" drop. People say the rear rides lower than the front which isn't true. The wheel wells on the rear are shorter than the fronts. The car sits even. The Intrax springs are soft on normal surfaces, but once you hit a decent bump, you know you're riding on progressive rate springs. As far as I'm concerned, you can't run stock replacement shocks on the Intrax. The drop is too dramatic. I've had Koni's in the front ever since getting the springs and the struts are doing great. The rears on the otherhand (GR2s) were destroyed in 10K miles. I've got AGXs in the back now and the ride is 10X better. With drops over 1.5", you need the dampening of a adjustable strut. OEM and OEM replacement can't keep up with lower and stiffer springs. When your sturts start to wear out, the ride becomes harsher. Why? Because the spring is doing all the dampening, not the strut. Depending the springs, the ride might get bouncy too.

I also use to have Suspension Techniques springs. They gave a 1.7" drop in the front and a 1.5" drop in the rear. The ride was relatively harsh over normal surfaces (worse than the Intrax), but never got worse over bigger bumps (better than the Intrax).

That's my input.

Dave
Old 03-08-2002, 12:28 PM

Cool I added the Suspension Techniques in, I just need price info and what not and will update the other stuff later.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 12:57 PM

Cool I added the Suspension Techniques in, I just need price info and what not and will update the other stuff later.

Thanks

SuDZ
you should also change the price of the B+G's to $159 plus shipping from shox.com
Old 03-08-2002, 01:48 PM

Like everyone has all ready stated; good write up SuDZ. I've noticed you've done this for a few other items as well. Thanks. I just wanted to offer what I know about the Tokicos. I believe that when they were originally designed for the Maxima they had issues w/ lowering springs becuase they were "undervalved" (my terminology may be wrong) and didn't hold up well w/ non-stock springs. Too my knowledge this problem was addressed and the valving was re-designed (I don't know when exactly).
Regardless, I have Tokicos w/ Intrax springs and the ride is certainly more harsh when you hit bumps, but for everyday driving they're great. I wouldn't hesitate to get them again and the cars stance front and back is even. I don't have any subs or anything in the trunk right now though, I assume that could be a factor.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Like everyone has all ready stated; good write up SuDZ. I've noticed you've done this for a few other items as well. Thanks. I just wanted to offer what I know about the Tokicos. I believe that when they were originally designed for the Maxima they had issues w/ lowering springs becuase they were "undervalved" (my terminology may be wrong) and didn't hold up well w/ non-stock springs. Too my knowledge this problem was addressed and the valving was re-designed (I don't know when exactly).
Regardless, I have Tokicos w/ Intrax springs and the ride is certainly more harsh when you hit bumps, but for everyday driving they're great. I wouldn't hesitate to get them again and the cars stance front and back is even. I don't have any subs or anything in the trunk right now though, I assume that could be a factor.
It most likely would be a factor since it would put even more strwess on them since there would be extra weight pushing down when hitting bumps or what not. I will try to look into how they were redesigned and see waht I can figure out.

Yeah I did another one on Exhaust. It did not seem to get much attention and died kinda fast. Oh well it might re surface some day.

SuDZ
Old 03-11-2002, 10:44 AM

SuDZ,

I have the Suspension Tech springs and I have no where near a 1.7"(front) /1.5" (rear)drop. There are 2 other moded maxs in my area....one with H&R, the other Eibach. Both cars are lower then mine. As for stiffness. From least to most....H&R, Eibach, then Suspension Tech. FYI the H&R and Eibach are 2+ years old. Mine are only 6 months. Oh yah....I paid 159 for mine and the part number is 60180.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:05 AM

Another thing to mention, when people compare their suspensions, saying that is not harsh or whatever, a big factor in determining this feeling is how good the roads are where they live. If I lived in Texas, I would have bought Eibachs, that's because the roads are so damn good over there. I've visted Austin, Houston and Dallas. But since I live in the NYC metro area, hence really bad roads, I went with H&Rs.

So maybe guys should mentions what the roads are like as well in their comparison.

Food for thought

DW
Old 03-11-2002, 12:08 PM

Another thing to mention, when people compare their suspensions, saying that is not harsh or whatever, a big factor in determining this feeling is how good the roads are where they live. If I lived in Texas, I would have bought Eibachs, that's because the roads are so damn good over there. I've visted Austin, Houston and Dallas. But since I live in the NYC metro area, hence really bad roads, I went with H&Rs.

So maybe guys should mentions what the roads are like as well in their comparison.

Food for thought

DW
Yeah thats true. I will try keeping an eye on that in future reports I get from people. If we could get reports from people in the same districts it would be even better.

SuDZ
Old 03-11-2002, 03:29 PM

I have the Cattman Coilovers and would not recommend them to anyone. I can attest to many races won and quick turning because of the coilovers though. They will make your car handle like a formula one race car. However, they have the worse ride quality known. I've ridden and driven many Maximas with different setups. Even some without bumpstops and tokicos (not a good combination). And all have felt better and more refined than the Cattmans. Not only that, the quality of the suspension is not there. I've owned them for about a year, and already have experienced a broken front strut mount, sagging front springs, and a broken rear strut piston. There is hardly any spacing between the coils on the front springs which results in binding while driving on any roads other than a newly paved highway. Since they were cheaply made, it's impossible to dial in the correct ride height or keep your wheels aligned properly. I'm am very dissatisfied with this setup and urge others to exercise caution before selecting this suspension.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:44 PM

I would have liked to seen pics of the cars with various drops. For those of you with Eibachs or H&R, do you feel that those drops are enough? I am currently looking at the Progress springs because of the 1.7/1.5in drop. Do all of you feel that shocks are required with this drop?

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions answered