4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 04:27 PM

switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

I have stock GLE springs and struts and am planning to upgrade to kyb agx’s. Should I also switch the rear springs to SE springs to decrease pitch and increase traction? or will increasing the stiffness of the rear agx’s be more than enough to accomplish this?
Old 03-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Originally posted by ne max
I have stock GLE springs and struts and am planning to upgrade to kyb agx’s. Should I also switch the rear springs to SE springs to decrease pitch and increase traction? or will increasing the stiffness of the rear agx’s be more than enough to accomplish this?
I have a gle with stock springs and agx. Besides the wheelgap (more than with stock shocks) I'm very happy with them. Handling is great. I wouldn't dare attempt driving with my old suspension the way I do now.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just put the AGX's on all 4 corners, your going to love the way your car will ride and handle.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Originally posted by skeelo34

I have a gle with stock springs and agx. Besides the wheelgap (more than with stock shocks) I'm very happy with them. Handling is great. I wouldn't dare attempt driving with my old suspension the way I do now.
I thought that if anything, agx's lower the car by a few millimeters?
Old 06-04-2002, 06:39 PM

I have a 95 GLE also

I was wanting the SE ride and handling. A Nissan service dept tech told me that only original nissan GLE equipment will work on the GLE suspension for that the GLE suspension is so different. I just listened and went on.

What was the cost of upgrading your GLE suspension? Did you do it yourself? I am really interested in doing this to mine. It is too soft a riding car for my tastes.

I am all ears.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:57 AM
rmb

Re: Re: Re: switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Originally posted by ne max

I thought that if anything, agx's lower the car by a few millimeters?
Struts have no effect on your ride height. It's the springs that actually support the car so the springs determine height. Struts only dampen the movement of the springs on compression and rebound.

Get H&R sport springs to go with those AGX's. I love the combo. Barely looks lowered. You'd never really know if you didn't know max's.....

As for the GLE suspension... there's nothing special about it other than softer springs from the SE. Same struts and everything else.

-RMB
Old 06-05-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: Re: switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Originally posted by skeelo34

How harsh did it get after the install? if any.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:53 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: switch only rear gle springs to se springs?

Originally posted by rmb

Struts have no effect on your ride height. It's the springs that actually support the car so the springs determine height. Struts only dampen the movement of the springs on compression and rebound.

Get H&R sport springs to go with those AGX's. I love the combo. Barely looks lowered. You'd never really know if you didn't know max's.....

As for the GLE suspension... there's nothing special about it other than softer springs from the SE. Same struts and everything else.

-RMB
That's not entirely true. Most shocks/struts don't have an effect, but some do. Some shocks/struts are pressurized, and as such, produce quite a bit of force.