4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 02:28 PM

Exhaust Questions Answered

Well I figured I might put another one of these together. This time it will try to answer some Exhaust questions since I noticed that those were popping up as well. In this I will cover Y-pipes, Cat backs, Mufflers, and the B pipe.

Y-Pipes

Y-pipes first off are the best bang for your buck mod. They have been known to give you about 15 HP at the wheel alone. On the 4th generation Maxima we have two precats coming down to our exhaust system from the manifold. This presents a problem for us because it robs us of horsepower. So what a Y-pipe will do is replace these with straight pipes instead of the precats. Now that you know what they are, you might be wondering some more info like who has them and the price etc.

Stillen
www.stillen.com
Cost: $395.00

The old ones had some problems in the flex section where it caused a “bee’s in the can” noise. That is the only thing to watch for if your going to buy one used. It is Stainless Steal and comes in nice chrome looking finish.

Cattman Performance
www.cattman.com
Cost: $399.00

Cattman is also a well known maker of the Y-pipe. The gains are about the same as Stillen's but in the past some people have had fitment issues with the pipes. One thing though is that you will need to buy the gaskets separately, which will run you around another $15 or so from the dealership.

Warpspeed Performance
www.Warpspeedperformance.com

Cost: Aluminized Steel is 195.00, Aluminum is 225.00, 304 Stainless TIG welded is 299.00 and Stainless MIG welded is 275.00

Warpspeed is another great company to choose for your Y pipe. They offer a few different prices depending on which type of metal you choose. I personally have one of their pipes and installed it on my own. I had no troubles at all. The pipe looked great, sounded nice and was a smooth install.

Budget Exhaust
www.budgetexhaust.com
Cost: $180 USD

Budget Exhaust started making the Y-pipe for us last. But they do make a nice pipe. It also comes in at a very nice price as well. Many people have tried this pipe and as far as I know I have not read any problems yet. They also include the gaskets with their pipes as part of the price.

For more help on installing Y pipes take a look at this link
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/ypipe.html

Catalytic Converters
The Catalytic Converter is what controls the smog from your exhaust for the most part. It comes right after your Y pipe. The gain from Catalytic converters is said to be minimal, around 2-5 HP. This part can be bought from companies like

Random Technology
www.randomtechnology.com
Price: Around 180 or so depending on resellers.

95 – 96
Stock Exhaust 2.5”
Part Number 828531

96-96
3” modded exhaust
Part Number 823031

97+
Stock 2.5 inch
Part Number 822530

Local Shops
Also many Muffler shops may have them in-house as well. You can try calling around to check them for prices

Warpspeed Performance
www.warpspeedperformance.com
Prince: $110
Warpspeed is offering another performance product for us. They have offered us another option for High Flow Catalytic Converter. You can find them on their page under Maxima Upgrades.

Car Sound Catalytic Converters
www.car-sound.com
Here is another company that offers us a better flowing after market cat as well. They have a wide supply for many cars including our own. I could not find pricing on their page but have sent them an e-mail to find out. Once they give it to me I will let you know here as well.

B Pipes
B pipes follow the catalytic Converter and separate the muffler and the cat. This is the main part of Cat-back exhaust systems, which generally replace this pipe and the muffler. Most places sell the whole catback but there are a few places that will sell the B pipe individually. You will notice a few of them from before.

Warpspeed Performance

Warpspeed again offers us more parts. The B pipe they offer will eliminate the “S” bend found in 97+ Maximas and also the crush that we have in our pipe. Both of those will cause air being able to move less freely and restrict HP. An E-mail I received from them told me you will gain around 2-4 HP and gain an average of about 2-3 mpg. So it helps on a few different ends. The price is now released at 50 dollars without a resonator and 70 dollars with one.

Stillen
www.stillen.com

The Stillen piece is a T304 mandrel bent pipe. Basically serving the same function as above you are gaining some HP and will see an increased mpg. Stillen's piece comes in a chrome look and can be found on the Stillen website. It is part number 503360 and runs for $259.88

Mufflers

The Muffler is basically then end of the exhaust line. Now instead of listing all the companies that you can buy mufflers from we should discuss they types. Only because there are way too many companies that make either specific, generic, fits all, etc choices of mufflers.

Now changing the muffler is what will give a car a much louder than stock tone out of the exhaust. Some people like this and others don’t. It really is a matter of personal choice either on sound or sight. One type of muffler that is going to be louder is called a “Straight Through” muffler. This basically gives the air coming out very little resistance and therefore you get more noise. This is why stock mufflers do not have a “straight through” design but give a little less HP. They opt for the quiet sound because that is what most people want. And the hand off is about 2 – 3 HP.

Cat back Exhaust Systems

Well the cat back is exactly what is says. It is the exhaust pieces needed from the catalytic converter back. This includes the B pipe and the Muffler. Some companies that offer cat backs I will list below. A typical gain for a cat back system will generally be about 7HP or less. However like everything else there are occasionally exceptions.

Apexi
MSRP $ probably going to be close to $499.00 from what I have seen.

Greddy
MSRP $ The SP - $650
MSRP $The Evo lists at $629

Stillen
"HKS and GReddy Maxima/I30 Exhaust. HKS offers a mandrel bent aluminized pipe and muffler rear section exhaust with a single 106mm stainless tip. GReddy's Maxima system is a cat back mandrel bent exhaust with aluminized mild steel pipe, stainless muffler”
Price: $650

Warpspeed Performance
Just combine their B pipe with a Muffler of your choice and then your done.

Price: 50 - 70 for Bpipe then price of muffler.

Well that is it for now. If you can give me any extra info or anything like that I will gladly add it where it seems I may be missing some. Or if you can give experiences with any of the above mentioned products then also that will be cool.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 03:25 PM

Ok I tried to make it easier to read and changed a few incorrections. If anyone has anything to add that newbies or others may fine helpfull post it here and I will add it for you/them/whoever.

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 06:19 PM

cheapest way get any y-pipe most are all the same just the way they design them. cat get a cheap cat like i found for 75.00 that has 02 sensor hole and hollow it out and for cat-back exhaust get it custom maid i paid 100 for cat-back piping with a universal muffler. that's the cheapest way to go.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by maximadan96
cheapest way get any y-pipe most are all the same just the way they design them. cat get a cheap cat like i found for 75.00 that has 02 sensor hole and hollow it out and for cat-back exhaust get it custom maid i paid 100 for cat-back piping with a universal muffler. that's the cheapest way to go.
Yeah, thats why I put in there people might wanna contact muffler shops etc. They sometimes have good deals depending on where you go.

SuDZ
Old 03-05-2002, 11:39 AM

A few more parts added/changed.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Originally posted by SuDZ
Cattman Performance
www.cattman.com
Cost: $399.00

Cattman is also a well known maker of the Y-pipe. The gains are about the same as Stillen's but in the past some people have had fitment issues with the pipes. One thing though is that you will need to buy the gaskets separately, which will run you around another $15 or so from the dealership.
this is incorrect. My Y pipe, even after it was sent out for repair twice had new crush gaskets included with them each time.

Catalytic Converters
The Catalytic Converter is what controls the smog from your exhaust for the most part. It comes right after your Y pipe. The gain from Catalytic converters is said to be minimal, around 2-5 HP. This part can be bought from companies like

Random Technology
www.randomtechnology.com
Price: Around 180 or so depending on resellers.
Don't forget the Carsound cat as well. Good post though, maybe a moderator will make this into a FAQ.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Originally posted by ericdwong
this is incorrect. My Y pipe, even after it was sent out for repair twice had new crush gaskets included with them each time.
Ok how long ago was that? Just because when I called them when I was looking at my Ypipe I was told they would have to be purchased seperatly or bought at a dealer. Maybe this has changed recently?

SuDZ
Old 03-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Ok how long ago was that? Just because when I called them when I was looking at my Ypipe I was told they would have to be purchased seperatly or bought at a dealer. Maybe this has changed recently?

SuDZ
The gaskets have always been a "sold separately" item. I've never heard of them being included in the y-pipe purchase price. I think ericdwong had some special circumstances surrounding his y-pipe.

BTW good work SuDZ.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Originally posted by ljl10

The gaskets have always been a "sold separately" item. I've never heard of them being included in the y-pipe purchase price. I think ericdwong had some special circumstances surrounding his y-pipe.

BTW good work SuDZ.
Yeah thats what I though anyway. Thanks for the compliment too

SuDZ
Old 05-10-2002, 01:07 PM

Is the Ypipe 50 state legal? Is it helping to clean the exhaust even before it gets to the cat or what?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:27 PM

I got a guy who will put on any new exhaust system for me for 65$. I need to know what to get so that I'll end up spending about 500$ total out of pocket. I would like everything from the y pipe back... any ideas on where I should go or what I should look for?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Aftermarket Y-pipes aren't leagal for street use. But some cars have been known to pass emmision tests with the aftermarket y-pipes on.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Aftermarket Y-pipes aren't leagal for street use. But some cars have been known to pass emmision tests with the aftermarket y-pipes on.
I passed mine recently with it. No problem.

SuDZ
Old 05-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by hdortez
I got a guy who will put on any new exhaust system for me for 65$. I need to know what to get so that I'll end up spending about 500$ total out of pocket. I would like everything from the y pipe back... any ideas on where I should go or what I should look for?
I would look maybe towards Warpspeed then. You can gt the Y pipe for like 225+ then add a Bpipe on there for 50-70 and your still only up to about 295 which leaves you with enough to buy a RT cat for like 100 or so and find a muffler of your choice (most prefer stock for sound though) that should cover your budget just fine.

SuDZ
Old 05-10-2002, 07:06 PM

thanx for tha info sudz. i was plannin on doin this next week. u made my choice a lot easier. good lookin out....
Old 05-10-2002, 08:38 PM

ummm gaskets and all is included with all budget y's!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Conecarver

Nice writeups. Didn't see this 1st time it was posted.

Perhaps adding Courtesy Nissan's b-pipe option? Think it was like $150-$200 a while ago. Stainless steel, small resonator, no crimp. Gives nice extra 2" ground clearance for lowered rides.

What about the 5th gen Nissan OEM muffler? Excellent gains here too.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:27 PM

I don't think it is illegal to have a Y-pipe as long as you still meet all emission regulations in your area, and don't violate any kind of sound regulation (BAD HONDA!)
Old 05-11-2002, 01:49 AM

will it make a big diff. if u get a y and b pipe but kept tha stock muffler perfromance wise???
Old 05-11-2002, 06:16 AM

I would look maybe towards Warpspeed then. You can gt the Y pipe for like 225+ then add a Bpipe on there for 50-70 and your still only up to about 295 which leaves you with enough to buy a RT cat for like 100 or so and find a muffler of your choice (most prefer stock for sound though) that should cover your budget just fine.

SuDZ
So then you wouldn't suguest a setup where there would be a new y pipe and then a new high flow CAT thn a new cat back system? With the y pipe do I eliminate the Cat all together? Because here its a 25000$ fine for the shop tha removes and doesn't replace a Cat...
Old 05-11-2002, 07:52 AM

This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between MIG and TIG welded.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by hdortez

So then you wouldn't suguest a setup where there would be a new y pipe and then a new high flow CAT thn a new cat back system? With the y pipe do I eliminate the Cat all together? Because here its a 25000$ fine for the shop tha removes and doesn't replace a Cat...
You do not eliminate the main cat. Just the two pre-cats. They are before the main one. Most shops as long as you dont mention it will do those ones fine. It is the main one they wont mess with.

SuDZ
Old 05-11-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Motomax
This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between MIG and TIG welded.
This might help some.

http://www.awisco.com/anmanan.html

SuDZ
Old 05-11-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Nice writeups. Didn't see this 1st time it was posted.

Perhaps adding Courtesy Nissan's b-pipe option? Think it was like $150-$200 a while ago. Stainless steel, small resonator, no crimp. Gives nice extra 2" ground clearance for lowered rides.

What about the 5th gen Nissan OEM muffler? Excellent gains here too.
I couldnt find anything about the Bpipe on their site. Is it still available do you know?

SuDZ
Old 05-13-2002, 06:36 PM

Ok, my question now is, what will make it illegal?

When I plan on upgrading, I was thinking along the lines of:
Budget Y-pipe
Warpspeed High Flow Cat
Probably a Warpspeed B-pipe or some other straight pipe
then just either some cheaper universal muffler or stick with stock

any part of that really illegal? besides the Y-pipe...i don't have emissions

and what is the purpose of the resonator in the b-pipe? and how loud can i expect it to be with an aftermarket muffler?...thanks.

also will most exhaust shops install the stuff i have mentioned? like midas, or maxi, or any other type of shop?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by 97BlackMax
Ok, my question now is, what will make it illegal?

When I plan on upgrading, I was thinking along the lines of:
Budget Y-pipe
Warpspeed High Flow Cat
Probably a Warpspeed B-pipe or some other straight pipe
then just either some cheaper universal muffler or stick with stock

any part of that really illegal? besides the Y-pipe...i don't have emissions

and what is the purpose of the resonator in the b-pipe? and how loud can i expect it to be with an aftermarket muffler?...thanks.

also will most exhaust shops install the stuff i have mentioned? like midas, or maxi, or any other type of shop?
no one?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

no one?
a resonator acts like a second smaller muffler to quiet the exhaust down. i'm debating whether or not to put on on a custom Bpipe for use with a straight thru muffler.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

This might help some.

http://www.awisco.com/anmanan.html

SuDZ
didnt' really understand that but my question is about the mendrel bent y-pipes and other parts of exhaust? what makes it so good and is it better to have pipes mendrel bent or non mendrel bent? and is it ok to mix up manufacturers?

ex: warspeed y-pipe + budget cat back
Old 05-14-2002, 12:17 PM

Budget Y-Pipes are T-304 Stainless, MIG welded and cost $170 shipped or installed.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:53 PM
żHablas Espańol?

Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

[QUOTE
B Pipes
Warpspeed Performance
Warpspeed again offers us more parts. The B pipe they offer will eliminate the “S” bend found in 97+ Maximas and also the crush that we have in our pipe. Both of those will cause air being able to move less freely and restrict HP. An E-mail I received from them told me you will gain around 2-4 HP and gain an average of about 2-3 mpg. So it helps on a few different ends. The price is now released at 50 dollars without a resonator and 70 dollars with one.
SuDZ [/B][/QUOTE]

First - GREAT post SuDZ!

Secon - I'm confused. I scoured the WSP site and see that the
'b-pipe fix' is $50 w/out resonator, $70 w/ it and $5 for the O2 sensor input but the full b-pipe is $150 w/o resonator and $170 w/
it. What's the difference between the two options?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Yeah the Warpspeed website is somewhat confusing.

The $50 without or $70 with resonator B pipe fix gets rid of the s pipe and the crush in front of our stock B resonator.

The complete B is $150 or $170 without/with resonator. They competely replace the stock B pipe with theirs. The complete B pipe without resonator is what is pictured on their site.

DW

Originally posted by joaquink
[QUOTE
B Pipes
Warpspeed Performance
SuDZ
First - GREAT post SuDZ!

Secon - I'm confused. I scoured the WSP site and see that the
'b-pipe fix' is $50 w/out resonator, $70 w/ it and $5 for the O2 sensor input but the full b-pipe is $150 w/o resonator and $170 w/
it. What's the difference between the two options? [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Good job Sudzy!
Old 05-31-2002, 07:31 AM

I can't find the thread, but I remember reading that the Apexi is really made for 95-96.

- Does it attach to the cat or the s-pipe after the cat?
- Does it reach the bumper since 97+ have a slightly longer bumper than 95-96.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:40 AM

From what I picked up on Warp's site, 95-96es don't have an s pipe. 97+ do.

DW

Originally posted by breaux124
I can't find the thread, but I remember reading that the Apexi is really made for 95-96.

- Does it attach to the cat or the s-pipe after the cat?
- Does it reach the bumper since 97+ have a slightly longer bumper than 95-96.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:34 PM

why couldnt you just go from the b pipe and run a pipe straight back?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by pwhitersx-s
why couldnt you just go from the b pipe and run a pipe straight back?
what do u mean?

the B Pipe is the peipe after the cat and before the muffler??
Old 08-18-2002, 05:35 PM

question about the apex ws catback exhaust. is the b pipe section mandrel bent? if not, would you say that it's as good as say..... warpspeed's b pipe? also, if i were to purchase budget's y, they include gaskets, would i need to purchase bolts? like the ones connecting the cat to the y pipe?
Old 08-18-2002, 08:21 PM

if i were to change my y pipe and catback, i've heard ppl having issues w/ rusted bolts? is this only on the cat? and what are the part #'s on these? so i can go to the dealership and pick them up.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
a resonator acts like a second smaller muffler to quiet the exhaust down. i'm debating whether or not to put on on a custom Bpipe for use with a straight thru muffler.
vqdriver,i see you post you run 14.32 at 96 mph,is you exhaust set up loud at 2500rpm and 65 mph,i am looking for something similer but with a high flow cat,not test pipe,is butget or wsp y pipe similer in performance and sound,how about b pipe?which one come with resonator,and what muffler is quiet to you,or do i better off get the apex ws catback,with the frankercar intake,ur pully,ecu and don vb mod,by the way mine is automagic,what 1/4 time do you think this mods good for,thanks! ps.i don't mind if its loud at wot,just want to get the most effect result w/o the sound when driving at 2500rpm 65mph.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:06 PM

wsp b-pipe

I believe the price you listed for WSP b-pipe is for the "b-pipe fix", which is not the complete pipe (only the portion that replaces the "crush" in our stock pipes) - think the full b-pipe is like $150.
- good work

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions Answered