4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by aznsap
if i were to change my y pipe and catback, i've heard ppl having issues w/ rusted bolts? is this only on the cat? and what are the part #'s on these? so i can go to the dealership and pick them up.
Mainly the bolts that rust the worst are on the cat. It is from all the heat. As far as part numbers when I went to the dealer and asked them one time if they carried them I was told they were basic hardware and better off looking at a hardware store. I dont know if this is how all of them do it or not but they did for me.

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
high flow cat,not test pipe,is butget or wsp y pipe similer in performance and sound,how about b pipe?
There have been Dyno's that show WSP actually has a bit more of a gain.

what 1/4 time do you think this mods good for,thanks
That all depends on the driver really

SuDZ
Old 08-18-2002, 11:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SuDZ

That all depends on the driver really

SuDZ
how about with a good auto driver in it,i just want to know what do you think it take you to pilot it down the 1/4 et with this mods,thanks!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:31 PM

how about with a good auto driver in it,i just want to know what do you think it take you to pilot it down the 1/4 et with this mods,thanks!
A shot in the dark guess (because it depends on lots of different things would be maybe 14.7 to 15.2

SuDZ
Old 08-19-2002, 05:45 PM

A shot in the dark guess (because it depends on lots of different things would be maybe 14.7 to 15.2

SuDZ
how did vqdriver get his 14.32 ET,is his auto or 5sp,what set up did he use,anyone has any idea,
Old 08-20-2002, 05:21 PM

vqdriver,i see you post you run 14.32 at 96 mph,is you exhaust set up loud at 2500rpm and 65 mph,i am looking for something similer but with a high flow cat,not test pipe,is butget or wsp y pipe similer in performance and sound,how about b pipe?which one come with resonator,and what muffler is quiet to you,or do i better off get the apex ws catback,with the frankercar intake,ur pully,ecu and don vb mod,by the way mine is automagic,what 1/4 time do you think this mods good for,thanks! ps.i don't mind if its loud at wot,just want to get the most effect result w/o the sound when driving at 2500rpm 65mph.
my exhaust is pretty mellow at any speed, but very aggressive when on the mad pedal. i love the sound when i drive in a tunnel. below 40mph you get the low bellow of the borla muffler. without a catalyst, the sound is slightly amplified and more "hollow" sounding. i don't mind at all. i'm sure you'll love the exhaust if you run a cat. if you don't live in an area that rusts i'd recommend the apex or greddy (i'm sure both are quieter and more convenient than my setup, but mine rocks with the stainless; plus it looks sleeper). my current setup will get louder if the AC is on or i'm going up a hill with at least 3 passengers. my solution to that is to simply run the rpms higher when climbing to ease the sound level. to the other dude asking about my setup: it's located on my sig. i have a 97GXE 5speed. all i have on are bolt ons. you can look up my driving technique using the search.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:00 PM

thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 PM

would the apex ws catback exhaust be a problem in areas where rust is a problem? like int he midwest where the roads get salty in the winter?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by aznsap
would the apex ws catback exhaust be a problem in areas where rust is a problem? like int he midwest where the roads get salty in the winter?
just wash your car often and park in a garage if you can when it snows. at least keep the car as dry as can be. i'm sure that exhaust will last years if you take good care of the car.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
my exhaust is pretty mellow at any speed, but very aggressive when on the mad pedal. i love the sound when i drive in a tunnel. below 40mph you get the low bellow of the borla muffler. without a catalyst, the sound is slightly amplified and more "hollow" sounding. i don't mind at all. i'm sure you'll love the exhaust if you run a cat. if you don't live in an area that rusts i'd recommend the apex or greddy (i'm sure both are quieter and more convenient than my setup, but mine rocks with the stainless; plus it looks sleeper). my current setup will get louder if the AC is on or i'm going up a hill with at least 3 passengers. my solution to that is to simply run the rpms higher when climbing to ease the sound level. to the other dude asking about my setup: it's located on my sig. i have a 97GXE 5speed. all i have on are bolt ons. you can look up my driving technique using the search.
thanx,which y pipe would you prefer?wsp or bugget,and do they make the bee in the can sound have you heard of?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:16 AM

thanx,which y pipe would you prefer?wsp or bugget,and do they make the bee in the can sound have you heard of?
I have a WSP and like it a lot. No bees in the can sound and some DYNO graphs have shown them to produce more power than budgets.

SuDZ
Old 08-25-2002, 11:53 AM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Cattman Performance
www.cattman.com
Cost: $399.00

Cattman is also a well known maker of the Y-pipe. The gains are about the same as Stillen's but in the past some people have had fitment issues with the pipes. One thing though is that you will need to buy the gaskets separately, which will run you around another $15 or so from the dealership.
cattman's new pipes fit perfectly. cattman will also replace the flex section for free if it fails, plus he has a great warranty. as for gaskets, the rings that mate the pipe to the manifolds are included, the front cat gasket is not. you can purchase it locally for a few bucks. mine was $8.40 at Fergus Nissan in Skokie.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:11 PM

I have a WSP and like it a lot. No bees in the can sound and some DYNO graphs have shown them to produce more power than budgets.

SuDZ
thanx,and by the way no fitment problem too right,
Old 08-25-2002, 03:15 PM

the budget pipe is dirt cheap and works for me. i run 14.3s often with my setup. now i hear budget makes a mandrel version of the ypipe. the flex section is good and it's been on my car for over a year now. durability wise, budget is very durable. there is a slight hiss or locust sound eminating from the flex with mid to heavy throttle, but to me it sounds like a turbo spooling up. barely noticeable if you ask me. with the stock catback, its 98% stock sounding. car feels much more powerful when you first put it in. two thumbs up.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:46 PM

I skimmed over the thread and it didn't look like this was made a Sticky??

Clee? Could you add this up at the top? I think it will answer a bunch of commonly asked questions, therefore keeping the memebers of the "already answered the question for the 10th time club" down!
Old 08-25-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by MaximaMan
I skimmed over the thread and it didn't look like this was made a Sticky??

Clee? Could you add this up at the top? I think it will answer a bunch of commonly asked questions, therefore keeping the memebers of the "already answered the question for the 10th time club" down!
At one point it was going to be added into the tech section of the site after the server swap. It might have just been forgotten. I think that they did not want to put it as a sticky though because of there being a bunch already.

SuDZ
Old 08-25-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Originally posted by dko

cattman's new pipes fit perfectly. cattman will also replace the flex section for free if it fails, plus he has a great warranty. as for gaskets, the rings that mate the pipe to the manifolds are included, the front cat gasket is not. you can purchase it locally for a few bucks. mine was $8.40 at Fergus Nissan in Skokie.
When this thread was originated the flex section problem was not known and then people had a lot of problems with warranty with him. If this has changed ( as well as the gasket issue) then I will change it. But as the time of writing this was accurate. I will look into it though.

SuDZ
Old 09-08-2002, 12:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

i want to get the warpspeed b and y pipes. i am also thinking about getting a cat-back. first off, do the warpspeed y's come with the gaskets and all? secondly, what cat-back, if any would you add to this setup with a frankencar intake. i don't want it to be too loud, but i don't want it to sound like stock. actually, i don't care if it the same as it is now. any input? thanks a lot
Old 09-08-2002, 01:41 AM

SuDZ
i got my wsp y pipe on order,they said it should came in next week.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:34 AM

i got my wsp y pipe on order,they said it should came in next week.
the high-flow carsound cat is epa & carb aproved. this cat is a unversal pc. and should be installed by a shop. most max use the 2.5" this cat is $97 with shipping & insurance.

carsound cat is sold by magnaflow performnce.

need more info please call 201-993-3633 ask for Freddie.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by 97GLES
the high-flow carsound cat is epa & carb aproved. this cat is a unversal pc. and should be installed by a shop. most max use the 2.5" this cat is $97 with shipping & insurance.

carsound cat is sold by magnaflow performnce.

need more info please call 201-993-3633 ask for Freddie.
i am confused. do cat-backs come with a b-pipe, or does that have to be purchased separately????
Old 09-08-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

A Cat back system is a B pipe and a muffler, so you have some overlap in your needs. Either get a Y pipe with a cat back, or, y pipe, b pipe and your own muffler.

You will find that to keep your exhaust quiet when you add a Y pipe, the only 2 options are to keep the stock muffler, or put on a 5th gen muffler. A cat back will be loud with a Y b/c of its own custom muffler.

Best bet would be Y,B, and 5th gen muffler.

DW

Originally posted by maximamoose
i want to get the warpspeed b and y pipes. i am also thinking about getting a cat-back. first off, do the warpspeed y's come with the gaskets and all? secondly, what cat-back, if any would you add to this setup with a frankencar intake. i don't want it to be too loud, but i don't want it to sound like stock. actually, i don't care if it the same as it is now. any input? thanks a lot
Old 09-08-2002, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

how loud would a wpspd y, b, and a magnaflow muffler? i heard that the magnaflow muffler isn't a rice sound. how much is it as well? i didn't see any pricing on the magnaflow muffler?
Old 09-08-2002, 12:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exhaust Questions Answered

Chances are it will have some sort of drone. All the aftermarket mufflers, when combined with a Y, get noisy somehow.

DW

Originally posted by maximamoose
how loud would a wpspd y, b, and a magnaflow muffler? i heard that the magnaflow muffler isn't a rice sound. how much is it as well? i didn't see any pricing on the magnaflow muffler?
Old 09-25-2002, 08:33 PM

metal/weld differences

Can somebody enligten me as to what the differences are between the aluminized steel, t309/409? steel...and TIG/MIG welding?
Much appreciated
oh..and don't tell me to search cause I did.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:56 PM

warpspeed

Which y-pipe from warspeed is best bang for the buck. But with quality taken into consideration.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:15 PM

ok so my question is if the Y-pipe makes any noise just by it self with all the stock cat, b-pipe, and muffler? Also if all of that is stock and I get a Y-pipe doesn't that will cause back pressure on my muffler since the y-pipe will allow the exhaust to come out more freedly?
Old 11-26-2002, 03:28 PM

Yes, y-pipes increase stock exhaust noise. It sounds the same, it's just a little bit louder. You won't notice it at all after a week, and within a month you'll need to park your car next a stock maxima to hear the difference.

optimus310: your concept of back-pressure is incorrect. Your muffler could care less.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:39 PM

Re: warpspeed

Originally posted by magnum658
Which y-pipe from warspeed is best bang for the buck. But with quality taken into consideration.
Really it seems their pipes are holding up very nice. I have a SS pipe and no problems. There are others on here that went aluminum and have not really seen anything wrong with them either.

People take rust as a precaution saying that SS will hold up a lot better etc. But really even with aluminum you should get about 4 - 6 years out of it without much worry.

SuDZ
Old 12-03-2002, 10:17 AM

I spent about 20 mins searching and reading through old posts and I have lost my patience.

I am getting the Universal Oval SS Magnaflow muffler. I know the one side has to be offset and the other side has to be centered. Like this.

My question is this. What is the size of the oval muffler I should be getting?

Is it a 4x9, 5x8, or 5x11? How long should it be? Should it be 14", 18", 22", or 30"?

From reading one of the other posts I think it was 5x8 and 14" long.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by DeRaNgEd
I spent about 20 mins searching and reading through old posts and I have lost my patience.

I am getting the Universal Oval SS Magnaflow muffler. I know the one side has to be offset and the other side has to be centered. Like this.

Is it a 4x9, 5x8, or 5x11? How long should it be? Should it be 14", 18", 22", or 30"?

Thanks!
I am thinking about getting the same type of muffler from magnaflow, prob the 2.5 center/offset 5x8 14inch
Old 12-03-2002, 04:19 PM

Warpspeed B pipes are $150 and $170 , not $50 and $70.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Warpspeed B pipes are $150 and $170 , not $50 and $70.
I can change that. It has not been edited for a while now. I can not see their site right now but will double check and update it tonight.

SuDZ
Old 12-04-2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by DeRaNgEd

Thanks!
I know this was answered in another thread. I want to just post that link incase anyone searches this thread in the future and comes up with the same question. The answer can be found here :

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=171296

SuDZ
Old 04-15-2003, 11:11 AM

Nice thread, thought I'd bump it up and ask a question:

When I get a frankencar intake and stillen y-pipe added to my standard intake/Stillen cat-back (already nice and loud, about right)

What can I expect?
Will I get into noise trouble? emissions trouble?
TIA
Old 04-15-2003, 12:53 PM

will someone be daring enough to try a longer bodied magnaflow or borla muffler? i read somewhere that the length of the muffler meant more silencing. the article compared the muffler to a gun silencer. it had to be silent, but not reduce the velocity of the bullet. a longer muffler doesn't mean it's going to be more restrictive prpovided that it's a straight through perforated core design.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Spaniard
Nice thread, thought I'd bump it up and ask a question:

When I get a frankencar intake and stillen y-pipe added to my standard intake/Stillen cat-back (already nice and loud, about right)

What can I expect?
Will I get into noise trouble? emissions trouble?
TIA
The Y-pipe will definantly make that catback of yours loud. As far as getting you into trouble it depends. Are you one that constantly drives the car at a high RPM just for the noise? Waht is your town like, sometimes small towns have more issues than a city.

SuDZ
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the response, SuDZ.

I guess Im concerned cause its already kinda 'loud'(in my opinion, just right) even when Im light throttle, from around 1.5-3K rpm- kinda unavoidable range, so I dont want to find out that after intake and Y-pipe that I CANT drive quietly, ya know?

If I was going to refine my question I guess I'd ask, does a Y-pipe + intake going onto a catback increase the exhaust noise level LOTS even at low throttle, granny drivin.. (Thanks in advance)
Old 04-16-2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Spaniard
Thanks for the response, SuDZ.

I guess Im concerned cause its already kinda 'loud'(in my opinion, just right) even when Im light throttle, from around 1.5-3K rpm- kinda unavoidable range, so I dont want to find out that after intake and Y-pipe that I CANT drive quietly, ya know?

If I was going to refine my question I guess I'd ask, does a Y-pipe + intake going onto a catback increase the exhaust noise level LOTS even at low throttle, granny drivin.. (Thanks in advance)
Well the catback is what will give you the issues here. The intake and Y-pipe do give you a bit more noise coming from the exhaust but not really all that bad. But once teamed up with the catback (especially Stillen) it gets much louder. I am not sure off hand if your catback has a resonator but if you install everything and it is still pretty loud then adding one could help a bit.

SuDZ