4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

alarm noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 09:02 AM

alarm noises

a lil while ago there was a thread on whether or not the factory alarm makes that chirping noise that alot of people like. everyone said that it doesn't. about a month ago, i was doing some stuff in the engine and when i was done, it started chirping every time i used the remote to turn the alarm on and off but then it just stopped after a couple days.

now, i'm pretty sure i have a factory alarm and i think i know how to make it chirp. i'm not sure about other max's but on the drivers side, under the fuse box , on that removable panel is a little metal switch with round black button next to it. all you have to do is flip the switch to the down postion and it starts doing the chirping. i'm not sure what the round button is for. i realized what this switch did after i put the positive battery terminal back on the battery so maybe it got reset or something. now it chirps all the time and now i don't have to make the sound wit my mouth like some of us others do. is it just me, or do any of you guys also have this switch and does it work for you?
(btw, the chirp comes out of this little horn that in the back right corner under the hood)
Old 03-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Year of car? Trim level? Options? Pics?
Old 03-11-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Year of car? Trim level? Options? Pics?
oh my bad. i forgot all about that stuff. it's a 97 GXE, i bought it used so i'm guessing it's that comfor & convenience package thing cuz it came with the alarm and power driver's seat. i don't have a digital camera so i can't get pics right now but i'll try to explain it better if you can't find it. it's easy to find tho' .
Old 03-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well ... post them up when you do ... I'm sure many people are interested.

Originally posted by WaydeMax
oh my bad. i forgot all about that stuff. it's a 97 GXE, i bought it used so i'm guessing it's that comfor & convenience package thing cuz it came with the alarm and power driver's seat. i don't have a digital camera so i can't get pics right now but i'll try to explain it better if you can't find it. it's easy to find tho' .
Old 03-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'll take catagory "He's got an aftermarket alarm and doesn't know it" for $100 please.

Black horn mounted in the corner of the engine compartment? Stock on a Maxima? I don't think so.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:52 AM

I checked on my 96 GXE stock alarm. Took out two srews that hold driver side fuse box to the wall, and squeezed my hand in under the fuse box. I didn't find any removable panel or any switch ...
Old 03-11-2002, 11:01 AM

I check on my 98 GLE,

NO DICE!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I'll take catagory "He's got an aftermarket alarm and doesn't know it" for $100 please.

Black horn mounted in the corner of the engine compartment? Stock on a Maxima? I don't think so.
doesn't really mean anything , but the dealer told me it was stock. i use the stock remote with it.

Originally posted by jiaxima96
I checked on my 96 GXE stock alarm. Took out two srews that hold driver side fuse box to the wall, and squeezed my hand in under the fuse box. I didn't find any removable panel or any switch ...
you don't have to take out any screws or anything if you have it. the switch is mounted flush against the panel below the fuse box. the panel covers the wires exiting the fuse box. just get down low and it's easy to reach.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Ramius83

Well, anything is slightly better than the stock alarm, I am very dissatisfied with my stock alarm. I need the shock and proximity alarm options.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:02 PM

you don't have to take out any screws or anything if you have it. the switch is mounted flush against the panel below the fuse box. the panel covers the wires exiting the fuse box. just get down low and it's easy to reach.
Sorry I still can't picture what you described. "...the panel below the fuse box ..." My hand reached under the fuse box and there is nothing. Around fuse box is nothing like switch related thing. Yes I see bunch of wires coming out from fuse box. If you could be a little more specific, where is the panel? Under, in front of fuse box towards the front headlight, at back of fuse box, between fuse box and battery? I just can't find it.

Thanks. BTW if it's a feature on stock alarm then owner's manual should describe it right? My 96 manual does not have that info.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:34 PM

What's strange is that you say you use the stock remote to arm and disarm it. Sounds like the factory alarm, yet I know of no feature on 4th gens where you can get the horn to chirp (it is the horn right?). If it's a siren chirp, you have an aftermarket alarm.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by jiaxima96

Sorry I still can't picture what you described. "...the panel below the fuse box ..." My hand reached under the fuse box and there is nothing. Around fuse box is nothing like switch related thing. Yes I see bunch of wires coming out from fuse box. If you could be a little more specific, where is the panel? Under, in front of fuse box towards the front headlight, at back of fuse box, between fuse box and battery? I just can't find it.

Thanks. BTW if it's a feature on stock alarm then owner's manual should describe it right? My 96 manual does not have that info.
ok, my first description was a little off. the panel is right adjacent to the left pedal that you rest your foot on when driving (at least in a automatic). the left side of your foot is touching it. the top of the panel is right beneath the hood release lever. when you take off the panel the switch and round button are on the top right. there are a couple of wires coming out of it. this should help assuming that you do have the switch in the first place.

Originally posted by Eric L.
What's strange is that you say you use the stock remote to arm and disarm it. Sounds like the factory alarm, yet I know of no feature on 4th gens where you can get the horn to chirp (it is the horn right?). If it's a siren chirp, you have an aftermarket alarm.
that's just what I was thinking. but, in fact, it is a siren chirp that is coming out of a horn. i bought it used so the person the dealer got it from might have added this on. maybe it's like an "add-on" that Nissan sells, cuz i do use the stock remote. I looked in the manual and it says nothing about this.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:57 AM

Checked by 98 GLE again with your new description, and I still don't see it.

Maybe it is an unadvertised feature accessory????

Does anyone know if the Infiniti model has this chirping feature??
Old 03-13-2002, 10:53 AM

ok, my first description was a little off. the panel is right adjacent to the left pedal that you rest your foot on when driving (at least in a automatic). the left side of your foot is touching it. the top of the panel is right beneath the hood release lever. when you take off the panel the switch and round button are on the top right. there are a couple of wires coming out of it. this should help assuming that you do have the switch in the first place.

that's just what I was thinking. but, in fact, it is a siren chirp that is coming out of a horn. i bought it used so the person the dealer got it from might have added this on. maybe it's like an "add-on" that Nissan sells, cuz i do use the stock remote. I looked in the manual and it says nothing about this.

Well if it is a siren chirp, it's aftermarket. If it is a horn chirp, it might be stock. The Maxima comes with two stock horns. One is in front of the radiator near the hood latch, and the other is near the drivebelts on the passenger side of the engine. If you have a third horn, it's an aftermarket horn.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:12 AM

aaaaahhh for a minute there I was getting all excited thinking there IS a chirping alarm feature after all!
Old 03-14-2002, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
aaaaahhh for a minute there I was getting all excited thinking there IS a chirping alarm feature after all!
well, don't lose all hope. i really think that its just some sort of add on feature that can be bought (especially seeing how the switch was wired). i guess i just got lucky.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:20 PM

I bought my wife a brand new Subaru and the factory alarm has on/off chirping feature. The instruction for turning it on/off is on both the owner's manual and on the remote control.

I doubt that Nissan would make an owner selectable feature without telling owners.

Anyway, I have been on this subject for a while. I found a solinoid that controls the rear turn signal lights when the alarm is armed/disarmed. The solinoid is located right next to the driver side rear brake light assembly. There are 6 (?) wires through the solinoid and at least two of which control the arm/disarm blink of the turn signal lights. So I hooked a pair of wires from the solinoid to the front horn (the one next to timing chain cover, not the one next to the radiator) and IT WORKED. But the electrical signal was too weak to sound the horn loud enough to hear. Then I was going to buy an electric horn/siren that runs 12V, and use the solinoid to activate it (rather than power it), but never got around to do it.

If anyone wants continue and finish my experiment please share it with everyone.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:46 PM

I bought my wife a brand new Subaru and the factory alarm has on/off chirping feature. The instruction for turning it on/off is on both the owner's manual and on the remote control.

I doubt that Nissan would make an owner selectable feature without telling owners.

Anyway, I have been on this subject for a while. I found a solinoid that controls the rear turn signal lights when the alarm is armed/disarmed. The solinoid is located right next to the driver side rear brake light assembly. There are 6 (?) wires through the solinoid and at least two of which control the arm/disarm blink of the turn signal lights. So I hooked a pair of wires from the solinoid to the front horn (the one next to timing chain cover, not the one next to the radiator) and IT WORKED. But the electrical signal was too weak to sound the horn loud enough to hear. Then I was going to buy an electric horn/siren that runs 12V, and use the solinoid to activate it (rather than power it), but never got around to do it.

If anyone wants continue and finish my experiment please share it with everyone.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:24 AM

Ahh, the newer Nissans let you toggle back and forth between chirp/no-chirp by depressing the lock-unlock buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds.

Doesn't work with the 4th gens though, as far as I know.