4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help changing starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 06:03 PM

sup guys,my starter is starting to act up it starts when the car is cold but once i have been driving and park, it wont start for about 2 hours. My friend told me its the starter and i was wondering if anyone has any info on changing the starter like location of it and how hard it is to change? thanks
Old 11-20-2000, 06:14 PM

Its on top of the transmission, you can get to it from the top of the car. The solenoid is attached. you can't miss it, its top dead center on the tranny (where it meets the engine). Be sure to disconnect the battery first.

Don
Old 11-20-2000, 06:24 PM

starter info

Thanks for the help, from what i told you about the car not starting do you think its the starter?
Old 11-20-2000, 06:32 PM

starters again

hey i answered this question couple days ago. But changing a starter is real easy.If you are in New York City i would help you. Really I could change the starter in 15min(really)
check out this link.I can't type all this again

PS. Don thanks for that value body.Best mod I had

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=9562

lawrence

Old 11-20-2000, 06:38 PM

starters

thanks for the help, i would take you up on that offer to help but i live in orlando, its kind of a long trip to NY. thanks for the help guys
Old 11-20-2000, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by piopremier
... ... it starts when the car is cold but once i have been driving and park, it wont start for about 2 hours.
Please be more specific. Does it fail to crank (Rrr-Rrr-Rrr) or does it fail to fire (Vroom!)?
Old 11-20-2000, 06:54 PM

starter problem

it starts up and ill drive around and stop and park it when i go to start it again it fails to do anything, the lights all work the radio plays no loss of power at all but when i turn the key nothing no noise at all not even a click. than when it gets cold it will start right up
Old 11-20-2000, 07:06 PM

Re: starter problem

it starts up and ill drive around and stop and park it when i go to start it again it fails to do anything, the lights all work the radio plays no loss of power at all but when i turn the key nothing no noise at all not even a click. than when it gets cold it will start right up
You are reporting a no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)
- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)
- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery
- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection
- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection
- bad ignition switch
- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)
- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)
- bad interlock relay
- bad solenoid
- bad starter

The starter is an expensive item so I would check the other items before
spending the money on a replacement. In my personal experience, the
interlock relay has been a trouble spot.
Old 11-20-2000, 07:14 PM

it's the starter

I have a 95 gxe auto. When my starter was going bad it gave the same symptoms as you were having. When the car was cold it started fine, as soon as it got warm and I turned off the car, it would not start. I had to wait till the starter cooled down then I could drive again. You should change it asap. Soon your starter will not start at all.
I put in a remanufactered or rebuilt starter. The dealer wanted to much(300+) So I got a rebuilt starter for (125)
It works fine for me.
Old 11-20-2000, 07:14 PM

starter problem

i know it has no problem with the battery, i would have to narrow it down to the last 3 problems, how can i narrow it down. i don't know what relay your talking about, how can i check it?
Old 11-20-2000, 08:35 PM

Re: starter problem

i know it has no problem with the battery, i would have to narrow it down to the last 3 problems, how can i narrow it down. i don't know what relay your talking about, how can i check it?
1) Raise the hood.

2) Just in front of the battery you should see a black plastic relay box with a map printed on the top. This is relay box #2. There is a good photo of it in the Haynes manual on page 12-4.

3) Snap off the relay box cover. This can be done with your fingers.

4) There are two rows of relay sockets, four in each row. Your relay box may have some blank sockets, depending on which options are installed. Look at the row of relays closest to the windshield. The second from left socket should have a blue relay installed, and that is the inhibitor relay.

You may test it several ways.
1) Exchange it with a known-good relay. All blue-case relays with four terminals are the same.
2) Substitute a short jumper for the relay, placing the jumper in terminal positions 3 and 5.
3) Follow the relay test procedure shown in the Haynes manual on pages 12-4 and 12-5.
Old 11-20-2000, 09:05 PM

Compliments to Daniel B. Martin. You have always offered sound advice and explicit answers to common questions and inquiries. Sincere kudos to a valuable asset on Maxima.org.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:34 AM

it is the starter. my car started to do that. it would start up fine them i would have to leave it running when i when somewhere because if i shut it off i was screwed for a couple of hours. you can get around it for a little while, i did for some time, you have to tap your starter w/ a metal object (a hammer)and then it should start. its a little trick that works. i have a c.a.i. so i can see my starter well because none of the old intake system is in the way. my dealer did it for me, i wanted a nissan starter, for $360.
Old 11-21-2000, 04:46 PM

starter problem fixed

thanks for the help guys, i ran up to auto zone and picked up a new starter for 140, replaced it in about an hour thanks to all the posts and the car is running great.