4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pinging & Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 01:58 PM

Pinging & Overheating

I have a 96 SE. I purchased it brand new. I have no engine modifications. I have always taken it on long trips without a problem. But recently, I have had a problem with pinging and overheating. When I am going up a hill with the pedal floored, the engine begins to ping and the temprature gauage starts to go up. This is with the A/C on or off. I have to turn on the heater to reduce the temprature. Can anyone direct me as to what the problem is.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Pinging & Overheating

Originally posted by NUGE
I have a 96 SE. I purchased it brand new. I have no engine modifications. I have always taken it on long trips without a problem. But recently, I have had a problem with pinging and overheating. When I am going up a hill with the pedal floored, the engine begins to ping and the temprature gauage starts to go up. This is with the A/C on or off. I have to turn on the heater to reduce the temprature. Can anyone direct me as to what the problem is.
hmm...sticking themostat, bad radiator cap...it could be several things. Have you checked the codes in your ecu and see if it bringing anything up? Knock sensor?

What is the mileage on your car and what is the maintenance you have done on it and at what mileage.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:12 PM

I started to have the problem at 80,000 miles. I have done all of the nessasery maintenance on the car at the correct milage. I have used all Nissan products.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I started to have the problem at 80,000 miles. I have done all of the nessasery maintenance on the car at the correct milage. I have used all Nissan products.
my first suggestion would be to pull the codes from the ECU.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:51 AM

Re: Pinging & Overheating

Have you recently switched the type(octane) or brand(BP,QT,Amoco) of gasoline you use in your vehicle? You seem to be running lean, which will cause your temps to increase, maybe your fuel pressure or filter are causing some restriction.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

MAF sensor could be on it's way out too. Or dirty fuel injectors causing a lean condition. But your cooling system should be able to keep the engine cool still.

Have you maintained your cooling system? If your cooling system has corrosion in the radiator, it will not properly dissapate heat. You will need to have an acid bath done to clean it out. Only a radiator shop can do that the right way. I don't think your thermostat is sticking, it's design is such that when the spring gets weak, the fluid flow path opens it up early and your car runs cold.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:27 AM

I pulled ECU codes and there was nothing to report. I have changed the fuel filter and have changed the radiator fluid several times. I sometimes hear a small ping when shifting from first to second. That happens no matter what time of day or what temprature it is.