4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cheapest way to add HP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cheapest way to add HP?

I would like to know what is the cheapest way to add a decent amount of HP(at least 10HP) to my '95 Max.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Custom User Title...

Re: Cheapest way to add HP?

Originally posted by JDS517
I would like to know what is the cheapest way to add a decent amount of HP(at least 10HP) to my '95 Max.

Thanks,
Joe
that depends on what you consider cheap. i'd say go for intake. depending on which one you choose, they add a decent amount of hp and good sound too! i believe that is most likely the cheapest way. then you can move into exhaust stuff but that gets a lil pricey. do a search and you can find what other people have to say but that's my recomendation to start with. good luck

btw, 95 max's kick ***!
Old 03-23-2002, 11:25 PM

Y-PIPE!!!
intake: 2-3HP, $100
exhaust: 3-5HP, $200-$800 (muffler, custom cat, full catback, etc...)
Y-pipe: 10-15HP, $200-$395 (aluminized or stainless)

I guess you could go with N2O, but I'm talking strictly NA bolt-ons... I seem to remember a 50(HP)-shot of nitrous goes for something like $500? Correct me anybody if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think the best NA bang-for-the-buck is the Y-pipe.

BTW I have a pop-charger intake for a good loud GROOOOOOOWL at WOT, and Warpspeed aluminized steel Y-pipe for power. Pretty sure the intake doesn't do much performance-wise.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:45 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Cheapest hp/$ ratio = Nitrous Oxide.

A kit runs like 500$, but you gain a ****load of horses depending on how much you are running. However, it does run out and you have to refill it every now and then... As opposed to the Supercharger or Turbo which are 3-4 grand, it's a good deal.. ossuming you don't fly at open throttle every time you hit the road... You get that power boost just when you need it.. Only thing, Nitrous is dangerous and illegal for street use or have it installed.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Cheapest hp/$ ratio = Nitrous Oxide.

A kit runs like 500$, but you gain a ****load of horses depending on how much you are running. However, it does run out and you have to refill it every now and then... As opposed to the Supercharger or Turbo which are 3-4 grand, it's a good deal.. ossuming you don't fly at open throttle every time you hit the road... You get that power boost just when you need it.. Only thing, Nitrous is dangerous and illegal for street use or have it installed.
Im not flaming, I just want to know why you think nitrous is dangerous? How? Please let me know what you think, I just want to hear your opinion about it. Take Care
Old 03-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Y-pipe would be a good, cheap mod to add hp.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by 97ABMAX

Im not flaming, I just want to know why you think nitrous is dangerous? How? Please let me know what you think, I just want to hear your opinion about it. Take Care

It's highly flammable... usually people mount the bottle in the trunk, if you get into an accident, and anything can happen out there and the hit is hard enough, that thing can blow There are some other risks that I am not certain of, I didn't do any research on this but I heard of.. some have to do with bad installation or tunning..
ofcourse there isn't really a big risk of getting into an accident hard enough for it to reach the lines or the bottle but it's still there, and it's very serious... i rather not try it myself.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by slammed95
Actually nitrous is not flammable. It only feeds more oxygen to fire, but it won't light up itself. It will help flammable things burn faster.

then i stand corrected...

Like I said before, I really don't know that much about this. It's just what I heard.. (I saw the car blow up in the F&F too, so it must be true ) Seriously though, i thought it's flammable, either way.. Having it installed only increases the risk, so therefore it's dangerous.. or, more dangerous
Old 03-24-2002, 05:56 AM

nitrous

yup n20 is not flammable by itself. but but because n20 contains more oxygen than the air we breathe it will make an existing fire blaze.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:07 PM

Wasn't someone on here had NOS in the car and it blowed up on them in the driveway and had pic of it like a yr or so ago
Old 03-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Conecarver

Originally posted by shane
Wasn't someone on here had NOS in the car and it blowed up on them in the driveway and had pic of it like a yr or so ago
Was this the one you remember Or was it another?
http://www.macmurchie.com/why_not.htm
Old 03-24-2002, 11:44 PM

Re: Re: Cheapest way to add HP?

Originally posted by Jepht20

that depends on what you consider cheap. i'd say go for intake. depending on which one you choose, they add a decent amount of hp and good sound too! i believe that is most likely the cheapest way. then you can move into exhaust stuff but that gets a lil pricey. do a search and you can find what other people have to say but that's my recomendation to start with. good luck

btw, 95 max's kick ***!

$75.00 str8t pipe replace's cat. works if you dont live in L.A.
9-16 hp gain. the guy sells them online at his web sight sometimes on e-bay he makes str8t pipes for BMW and Maxima's only... his user name is 540 I-- on maxima.org i think....
Old 03-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cat replacement

Uhhh, no. It's been said many times on the board that boaring out your cat or getting a staight pipe wont do much if anything. Use the search tool.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:52 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Fuel is highly flammable. Fuel without O2 won't burn. Fuel + O2 + a spark = Big HP

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

It's highly flammable... usually people mount the bottle in the trunk, if you get into an accident, and anything can happen out there and the hit is hard enough, that thing can blow There are some other risks that I am not certain of, I didn't do any research on this but I heard of.. some have to do with bad installation or tunning..
ofcourse there isn't really a big risk of getting into an accident hard enough for it to reach the lines or the bottle but it's still there, and it's very serious... i rather not try it myself.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: Cat replacement

Originally posted by hakk97se
Uhhh, no. It's been said many times on the board that boaring out your cat or getting a staight pipe wont do much if anything. Use the search tool.

I disagree with that statement. When my max was still stock I got a str8t pipe and noticed a hell of a dif at 2,500rpm and up. Orignaly my 97 max would squeak the tire's into second. after the mod I could actually roast the tire when shifting into second. (And this is on dry road not wet)!!! I do agree with the idea of boaring ur cat.. for $75.00 it's one of the cheapest upgrades for a 9-16hp gain.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Cat replacement

Performance cats or straight pipes will NOT give a 9-16hp gain over a cat that is in good working order. Most oem cats are high flow monolithic block designs anyway.

Originally posted by PWRHOUSEIMPRTS

I disagree with that statement. When my max was still stock I got a str8t pipe and noticed a hell of a dif at 2,500rpm and up. Orignaly my 97 max would squeak the tire's into second. after the mod I could actually roast the tire when shifting into second. (And this is on dry road not wet)!!! I do agree with the idea of boaring ur cat.. for $75.00 it's one of the cheapest upgrades for a 9-16hp gain.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cat replacement

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Performance cats or straight pipes will NOT give a 9-16hp gain over a cat that is in good working order. Most oem cats are high flow monolithic block designs anyway.

Ok since your the moderator im not try'n to pick a fight but if I use a digital camra and take pictures of proof on paper for say a dyno test paper will that help prove my point? And no offence but I dont see anything high flow about my stock cat? I thought the idea of a str8t pipe to take off the restriction or back pressure that will allow air to flow freely to the muffler?? And allow the car to creat more power because its not restricted... Like a Y pipe!!??? I dono maybe im confused
Old 03-25-2002, 03:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cat replacement

It's okay to discuss and disagree.

Dyno test? You mean Mr. Gladge's dyno on his webpage? Yes I've known of it. Or do you mean your own testing??

Question: If you don't see anything high flow about the stock cats, what do you see so high flowing w/ the aftermarket ones?

You cannot really compare replacing cats w/ Y pipes. This are part of the exhaust yes, but go about increasing exhaust gas velocity in two different ways.

Originally posted by PWRHOUSEIMPRTS
Ok since your the moderator im not try'n to pick a fight but if I use a digital camra and take pictures of proof on paper for say a dyno test paper will that help prove my point? And no offence but I dont see anything high flow about my stock cat? I thought the idea of a str8t pipe to take off the restriction or back pressure that will allow air to flow freely to the muffler?? And allow the car to creat more power because its not restricted... Like a Y pipe!!??? I dono maybe im confused