4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i want to lower my max..please help me out..

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 02:53 PM

i want to lower my max..please help me out..

im looking to lower my 95 max, i want an egressive look to it, because i hate the gap in the wheelwell. i dont care if i have a harsh ride i just want to be able to whip my maxima around corners faster without it wabbling to one side.i have about $600 to spend, but regardless of price what suspension would give me this handling and looks~ thanx guys
Old 03-24-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: i want to lower my max..please help me out..

Originally posted by maxperformance
im looking to lower my 95 max, i want an egressive look to it, because i hate the gap in the wheelwell. i dont care if i have a harsh ride i just want to be able to whip my maxima around corners faster without it wabbling to one side.i have about $600 to spend, but regardless of price what suspension would give me this handling and looks~ thanx guys
Consider coilovers if you "don't care if you have a harsh ride."

Shocks/struts - KYB AGX. Period.

Not sure what you mean by "wabbling." I'm not familliar w/ this verb. If you're referring to body-roll, lowering springs or coilovers will definitely help with this, but you should also consider getting an aftermarket Rear Anti Sway Bar (RASB) if you don't already have one. You can actually get really good handling and a ride that's not too harsh by matching a RASB up with KYB AGX's and the right set of lowering springs. You don't HAVE TO get coilovers and sacrifice all your "streetability" to get good handling.

Search for "lowering springs" or "suspension" & you'll find more than you ever wanted to know. This is a well covered topic on maxima.org.

Partial list of springs to consider: (in no particular order)

H&R
Eibach
B&G
Apex
Sprint
Drop Zone
Old 03-24-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: i want to lower my max..please help me out..

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Consider coilovers if you "don't care if you have a harsh ride."

Shocks/struts - KYB AGX. Period.

Not sure what you mean by "wabbling." I'm not familliar w/ this verb. If you're referring to body-roll, lowering springs or coilovers will definitely help with this, but you should also consider getting an aftermarket Rear Anti Sway Bar (RASB) if you don't already have one. You can actually get really good handling and a ride that's not too harsh by matching a RASB up with KYB AGX's and the right set of lowering springs. You don't HAVE TO get coilovers and sacrifice all your "streetability" to get good handling.

Search for "lowering springs" or "suspension" & you'll find more than you ever wanted to know. This is a well covered topic on maxima.org.

Partial list of springs to consider: (in no particular order)

H&R
Eibach
B&G
Apex
Sprint
Drop Zone
yeah, i have progress springs on my '95. it lowered it about 2.5". they still ride great!! lessened my body roll when i added tokico struts, too.

good luck!
Old 03-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sprint/AGX...

For those who don't mind a harsh ride this has to be the #1 combo. Looks good, handles great, but best of all it's afforable (a little under $600 uninstalled). Only problem is that it's VERY hard to find Sprints right now ... Supply & Demand.
-Cyrus
Old 03-24-2002, 04:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: i want to lower my max..please help me out..

Originally posted by j-95G

yeah, i have progress springs on my '95. it lowered it about 2.5". they still ride great!! lessened my body roll when i added tokico struts, too.

good luck!
any pics with the springs? i think im buyin these this week, thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 07:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: i want to lower my max..please help me out..

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

any pics with the springs? i think im buyin these this week, thanks
is my sig pic showing up?? i don't think it does when i'm not online. anyway, if you look at this thread while i'm on, you will see my car now. it has the springs on it and the struts. it's kinda dark, but let me know what you think.

p.s. you can get progress springs from landspeedracing.com
Old 03-24-2002, 08:32 PM

yeah, i have progress springs on my '95. it lowered it about 2.5".

You got a 2.5" drop from Progress Springs?!? How many coils did you cut?
Old 03-24-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by bandera311

You got a 2.5" drop from Progress Springs?!? How many coils did you cut?
none. that's how they came. 2.25-2.5" lower is what the salesman said it was listed at, and that's what they did...of course, i went for about 2 months with busted struts, so that may have helped compress 'em a bit. but, that's how they came.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by j-95G

none. that's how they came. 2.25-2.5" lower is what the salesman said it was listed at, and that's what they did...of course, i went for about 2 months with busted struts, so that may have helped compress 'em a bit. but, that's how they came.
Hmmm. That's odd. According to Cattman at least (www.cattman.com), the Progress springs are rated as a 1.75" drop. I don't have any experience with this spring, so I don't know any better. . .just curious about the discrepancy.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:06 PM

I have these springs. The drop is about what Cattman listed (1.75"), at least thats what mine seem to be at.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:50 PM

maxperformance: I am going to agree with Vyrus on this one. If all you are going for is handling and a decrease in wheel gap, Sprints/KYB AGX are the way to go. And like he said they are hard to come by, you can go for the Progress/KYB AGX combo and still get a Addco RASB and a FSTB and still be under $700. Since you said you didnt really care for your ride quality cutting a coil on the Progress Springs is always an option , since they wont give you near the drop that Sprints will.

NotNew!!NewSN!!: I have pics with them on. Click on Homepage to go to my cardomain site.

How come its so easy to write hear, but it takes a half and hour to write a paragraph on my english paper oh well.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:53 AM

Progress Springs

Originally posted by bandera311
I have these springs. The drop is about what Cattman listed (1.75"), at least thats what mine seem to be at.
I used to have these springs, but I switched to H&R. The springs did make the car look better and the front end is lower than the rear end. I would wish I would have measured to find out the drop but it did APPEAR to be lower than 1.75 but it was not 2.5. My wife did not really care for the car being that low so I switched them out about 3 weeks ago.