4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$15 and it works, My Upper Intake pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 01:13 PM

$15 and it works, My Upper Intake pipe

I had posted a little earlier and someone asked me to do a write up, so I made a page for it. After having it a while I really like it, feel safe about its construction and wont be spending 75 bucks for a much nicer looking one. I will be happy to entertain any questions if anyone is interested or if you think it looks stupid. I do have some more pics if anybody wants them. Peace..
http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html
Old 03-25-2002, 03:18 PM

Nice writeup. Well done.

SuDZ
Old 03-25-2002, 03:53 PM

Thanks! I hope it helps someone out. I have gotten a ton of info of the .org and wanted to give a little back.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:39 PM

damn, thats an awsome idea
wish i thought of that before i got my CAI.

Ant
Old 03-25-2002, 08:35 PM

thanks for the idea....it's definetly a cheaper alternitave till i get some cash. btw, what is the part # for the k&n? i wanna make sure i get the right one.
thanks!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:41 PM

www.courtesyparts.com the k&n filter is up there so all you have to do is click..
Old 03-25-2002, 08:59 PM

www.courtesyparts.com the k&n filter is up there so all you have to do is click..
Wow, they are expensive ! www.Lightningmotorsports.com has them for 1/3 that!

Highway robbery man, I got the filter and a custom style Billet aluminum filter adapter w/ a velocity stack for less than the cost of the single filter from them. And that was shipped!
Old 03-26-2002, 04:08 PM

Just read it, tried it, IT WORKS!!! GOOD job fellow poor a*s max owner.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok this is cool, I want to do this cuz I don't have a lot of money. One question, do I need to get the JWT Pop for this or just need the K&N filter alone only? don't need any adapter for the filter or anything? is this the right filter?(link)http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/kn.htm
1989-01 Maxima 3.0L All 33-2031-2 $41.53

thanks, this is not easy for cuz I never work on the car before.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:46 PM

Does it change the sound very much over just having the pop-charger?
Old 03-26-2002, 10:48 PM

Firstly, I would like to say GREAT WORK! I--as well as many others I'm sure--will save over $60 with your method.

But, aren't their concerns about allowing an excessive amount of dirt into the engine?

Like when you remove hose that connects the engine to the upper intake tubing, you replaced it with another (smaller) filter. How can you be confident that it will not compromise the security of the engine?

Thanks again for your efforts on this project, and publishing it for us all to see and benefit from.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Does it change the sound very much over just having the pop-charger?
Yes, as it removes the nasty resonator. You will get a deeper and louder tone comparable to the noise of a CAI setup.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:19 AM

Sweet writeup!

I'm currently working on a poor-man's CAI, leading a 3" ribbed aluminum heating hose from a scoop to the bottom of my airbox. (I already have a K&N panel filter in the airbox & didn't want to lose the $ I put out for that). I was trying to brainstorm a way to get rid of that resonator, but now, I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

Btw, the only concern I have with your setup is the fact that where the rubber coupling you bought attaches to the Nissan ribbed rubber coupling, there is an abrupt, overlapped seam/edge that protrudes into the direction of the airflow because of the way it is joined. You know what I mean?

It seems to me that this "edge" (if you want to call it that) running around the inside circumference of the Nissan tubing, could cause turbulence and airflow restriction at the top of the intake that would not be present if the inside surface at the leading edge of the joint between those 2 pieces were somehow smooth or at least bevelled (similarly shaped as the Stillen/JWT POP adapter plates, on a smaller scale) to better direct the airflow.

I'm not sure how one would accomplish this, but I had a couple ideas:

1) Rubber is hard to cut/grind/drill at ambient temperatures, but if you could pull the Nissan ribbed tube off the car & put it in the freezer for 1/2 hour or so to let the rubber harden, you might be able to use a Dremel tool to grind a bevelled edge into the otherwise flat/squared-off opening that would otherwise disrupt the airflow.

2) Just join those two pieces and using clear silicone adhesive, reach inside the two joined pieces (off the car) & using your finger, smooth a bead of silicone into place to fill in & smooth out the internal "edge" created by this joint. This, like creating a bevel, would help smooth the airflow into the intake manifold as it passes over this joint.

I'm willing to stand corrected, of course - anyone think these are ideas that could work, or should I just put the crack-pipe down & step away from the keyboard?
Old 03-27-2002, 09:48 AM

I am glad you guys are interested!

is this the right filter?(link)http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/kn.htm
Not positive, I bought it a long time ago and I called over the phone. I just told him I had a Maxima(didnt know a thing about cars then) and he said I needed a different adapter and sold me a Hayame aluminum one w/ the filter. I am sure there are other sizes, just make sure you get a filter that matches the adapter.
But, aren't their concerns about allowing an excessive amount of dirt into the engine?

Like when you remove hose that connects the engine to the upper intake tubing, you replaced it with another (smaller) filter. How can you be confident that it will not compromise the security of the engine?
Nah, not really. If I your talking about the filter I put on the valve cover, its just a hose that would pull off the intake air. Lots of Hondas do it, Maximas too. Worst case, I think the little filter gets oily from the crankcase.
Btw, the only concern I have with your setup is the fact that where the rubber coupling you bought attaches to the Nissan ribbed rubber coupling, there is an abrupt, overlapped seam/edge that protrudes into the direction of the airflow because of the way it is joined. You know what I mean?
Yeah, I think I know what you mean and I thought about replacing the whole accordion section with a reducer to give it that "velocity stack" effect. But, honestly I dont think it would hinder airflow as much as you would think.Especially considering the way it was done with the resonator And man, I bet your idea would work, but it would take me 3 days to get it right!

Oh, and as far as sound? It is soooo sweet! A little grrrr at low rpms and wot. Then when you get into higher revs, sounds like an overgrown combustion factory coming out from your hood. Who needs an exhaust anyway...
Old 03-27-2002, 10:42 AM

So, from your conversation I'm trying to understand, should I go ahaed with this idea of taking the resinator by attaching the rubber instead of accordion area and also putting CAI, or should I forget about CAI???

Mike
Old 03-27-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Mikesburn
So, from your conversation I'm trying to understand, should I go ahaed with this idea of taking the resinator by attaching the rubber instead of accordion area and also putting CAI, or should I forget about CAI???

Mike
Not quite sure what you mean..But, if I am correct, the cai comes with the upper pipe and would eliminate the need for anything I did. I just did it b/c it was cheaper.

But after seeing alot of posts about ram air/hybrid/hot air/whatever , it makes me wonder why I can come up since I dont have my fogs lights anymore...
Old 03-27-2002, 02:40 PM

Thats cool.

Are you sure its aight to just put that breather filter on the valve one like that?
Old 03-27-2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Danielsan

Not quite sure what you mean..But, if I am correct, the cai comes with the upper pipe and would eliminate the need for anything I did. I just did it b/c it was cheaper.

But after seeing alot of posts about ram air/hybrid/hot air/whatever , it makes me wonder why I can come up since I dont have my fogs lights anymore...
so you're saying CAI will be the best deal anyways?
Does it come already with the upper part, you've changed???
Old 03-27-2002, 02:51 PM

Re: Thats cool.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Are you sure its aight to just put that breather filter on the valve one like that?
Pretty sure. It just a Crankcase breather. No idling probs, no loss of power.

But if you're really worried you could just tap back into the intake line. I saw a picture where theblue did a nice job.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:00 PM

The only way this could cause problems is if the filter got clogged up and did not flow air. This would cause your motor to run like crap. If you think about it, putting the breather filter is the same as using filtered air from the intake.
Ted
Old 03-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the breather should be fine. my friend did basically the same thing with his grand cherokee and hasnt had any problems, and thats seen more mud and dirt than any maxima ever should
Old 03-27-2002, 06:03 PM

so you're saying CAI will be the best deal anyways?
Nah, Long story made short but here goes:
I made the upper intake pipe because I didnt want to buy the upper part of the CAI (upper part 75 entire CAI 200). So I just made it for 15 bucks. I already had the filter and adapter. Make sense?

My total cost is $85
Filter: about $30
Adapter: about $40
Homemade intake: about $15
And you could get the adapter for less from what I hear.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:02 PM

Nah, Long story made short but here goes:
I made the upper intake pipe because I didnt want to buy the upper part of the CAI (upper part 75 entire CAI 200). So I just made it for 15 bucks. I already had the filter and adapter. Make sense?

My total cost is $85
Filter: about $30
Adapter: about $40
Homemade intake: about $15
And you could get the adapter for less from what I hear.
So Daniel, are you saying you have complete CAI???? Including your modifications which you've done for 15 bucks??? Do you recommend it to me, when I have just the K&N Cone filter on my?
Old 03-27-2002, 10:47 PM

awesome, i was thinking about doing the same thing, i actually have the 3 inch coupler in my garage. im gonna do it tomorrow morning. this sounds similar to the intake i made out of the ABS tubing. everyone laughs at me when they see it. i laugh at the fact that they cant tune their intake and they spent 150 at least more then i did. i spent that money on a vlsd tranny and AGX's. if anyone wants pics of my setup let me know. its cool cause the ABS doesnt even come close to being affected by under hood heat, and by changing the length you change where the torque peaks. its fun
-pete
Old 03-27-2002, 10:51 PM

Really?! How cool!

Originally posted by MaxSE98
and by changing the length you change where the torque peaks. its fun -pete
Have you found that the torque is moved higher or lower in the rev range as the tube is longer/shorter? pleeze enlighten us. Oh, if it's not too much trouble, email me a pic of your setup. . .

Old 03-27-2002, 11:24 PM

Wow, they are expensive ! www.Lightningmotorsports.com has them for 1/3 that!

Highway robbery man, I got the filter and a custom style Billet aluminum filter adapter w/ a velocity stack for less than the cost of the single filter from them. And that was shipped!
The K&N filter on the lightning Motorsports page is the panel type that will replace the paper filter in the STOCK AIRBOX. It is not the Cone Popcharger type.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Mikesburn

So Daniel, are you saying you have complete CAI???? Including your modifications which you've done for 15 bucks??? Do you recommend it to me, when I have just the K&N Cone filter on my?
No, I do not have any part of the CAI kit . I just made the upper pipe to get rid of the resonator.
From what I understand, you already have the filter, right? Your options from there are:
1 Buy the upper intake pipe from Cattman or warpspeed or Place-$75
2 Make the pipe like I did -$15
3 Buy the ENTIRE CAI from Cattman or warpspeed or place - $200
4 Do nothing since you already have a filter- free

Note: I think the entire CAI kit comes with a filter so that prob wouldnt be a good idea. Also, its just a guess on those prices..

Hope that helps
Old 03-28-2002, 10:27 AM

Nah, not really. If I your talking about the filter I put on the valve cover, its just a hose that would pull off the intake air. Lots of Hondas do it, Maximas too. Worst case, I think the little filter gets oily from the crankcase.
Yeah, I think I know what you mean and I thought about replacing the whole accordion section with a reducer to give it that "velocity stack" effect. But, honestly I dont think it would hinder airflow as much as you would think.Especially considering the way it was done with the resonator
1) The valve cover filter is neat. Maybe I'll use the old one from my Harley. The only downside is that the oil from the crankcase could make the engine compartment messy. With the stock setup, you just burn off that excess oil vapor. Hmm ....

2) Dyno guys say that accordion section does rob power by affecting the airflow. One overlap doesn't concern me much, but those are like a bunch of overlaps. Part of the benefit of removing the stock resonator is to smooth air flow and speed it up. The accordion slows it down. The only purpose of it is to provide some flexibility between the throttle body and resonator. Why not just use a longer single piece of hose? Or connect the shorter one directly?!!!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: Really?! How cool!

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Have you found that the torque is moved higher or lower in the rev range as the tube is longer/shorter? pleeze enlighten us. Oh, if it's not too much trouble, email me a pic of your setup. . .

the closer the filter is to the throttle body the better it pulls at higher rpm, the further it is from the throttle body the more grunt its got off the line.
ill get some pics later on, i need to run to pepboys and the depot to get some stuff. ill be back soon
-pete
Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: Re: Really?! How cool!

the closer the filter is to the throttle body the better it pulls at higher rpm, the further it is from the throttle body the more grunt its got off the line.
ill get some pics later on, i need to run to pepboys and the depot to get some stuff. ill be back soon
-pete

Well I'm trying to understand which intake will increase my torque (my low-end) power??????????? Coz I have a cone (cleaned) and my torque still sucks!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!!
Old 03-28-2002, 12:08 PM

CAI prices

Interesting thread. A price correction however. Danielsan quoted our CAI as $200. FYI, We sell them for $155, that is the complete kit.

Dan WSP
Old 03-28-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

1) The valve cover filter is neat. Maybe I'll use the old one from my Harley. The only downside is that the oil from the crankcase could make the engine compartment messy. With the stock setup, you just burn off that excess oil vapor. Hmm ....

2) Dyno guys say that accordion section does rob power by affecting the airflow. One overlap doesn't concern me much, but those are like a bunch of overlaps. Part of the benefit of removing the stock resonator is to smooth air flow and speed it up. The accordion slows it down. The only purpose of it is to provide some flexibility between the throttle body and resonator. Why not just use a longer single piece of hose? Or connect the shorter one directly?!!!
1. I havent had any oil from the filter yet but I am keeping an eye on it just in case. You really think it will mess up the engine compartment even w/ the little filter?Maxima and Harley: odd combo, but cool..

2. So someone has done a test with the accordion.. I would use a longer piece to connect to the throttle body, but couldnt find one. A reducer might work, but in order to connect the coupling to the reducer, you would have to use 3" PVC pipe which it was made for.(Unless there is a better alternative.)I wonder how much difference there would be between whats there now and (3" reducer to throttle body to pvc to coupling to MAF)? The reducer could have a velocity stack effect.Hmmm....Time to go to the store again

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Interesting thread. A price correction however. Danielsan quoted our CAI as $200. FYI, We sell them for $155, that is the complete kit.

Dan WSP
Doh! Sorry, it was just a guess. Your Y pipe rocks! I think I am the only Max in SC that even has one on a 4th gen
Old 03-28-2002, 02:05 PM

the closer the filter is to the throttle body the better it pulls at higher rpm, the further it is from the throttle body the more grunt its got off the line
If you think about it, this is the whole idea behind the variable intake that Cheston and roadbeast are importing. You get the optimal amount of power when the intake switches to a shorter path at higher RPM. Its like having a knome under your hood moving the PVC pipe back and forth. It would be cool to figure out a way to constantly be adjusting the length of the intake to match RPMs.
Ted
Old 03-28-2002, 05:41 PM

Not so odd

1. I havent had any oil from the filter yet but I am keeping an eye on it just in case. You really think it will mess up the engine compartment even w/ the little filter?Maxima and Harley: odd combo, but cool..
Not so odd. Both are big engines with a lot of low-end torque, as opposed to Hondas of either 2 or 4 wheel persuasion (though there are some big Honda bikes now). I think I like both for the exact same reason! As for the vent filter, if it gets oiled, then yes, some could get into the engine bay. Probably not a lot. On the Harley the breather from the crankcase is low, so sometimes it can really puke.

2. So someone has done a test with the accordion.. I would use a longer piece to connect to the throttle body, but couldnt find one. A reducer might work, but in order to connect the coupling to the reducer, you would have to use 3" PVC pipe which it was made for.(Unless there is a better alternative.)I wonder how much difference there would be between whats there now and (3" reducer to throttle body to pvc to coupling to MAF)? The reducer could have a velocity stack effect.Hmmm....Time to go to the store again
[/QUOTE]

It'd be an interesting experiment. Anyway, the dyno guys (Frey Racing) are familiar with lots of cars and experience tells them the accordions have got to go.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Not so odd

Originally posted by Bill Wattison
I just finished installing this. However, it doesn't sound that much different from my stock setup with a JWT Popcharger--performance feels the same as well.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the difference in sound supposed to be that negligible.

I never did disconnect the battery to reset the ECU; would resetting the ECU make a big difference?
I dont think resetting the ecu will make a difference. But when I did this I wasnt expecting any gains.
I did it to get rid of the resonators, though it is odd that you dont hear any sound difference.It is kinda quiet until I give it all my throttle. Which happens alot more often
Old 03-31-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: Not so odd

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Not so odd. Both are big engines with a lot of low-end torque, as opposed to Hondas of either 2 or 4 wheel persuasion (though there are some big Honda bikes now). I think I like both for the exact same reason! As for the vent filter, if it gets oiled, then yes, some could get into the engine bay. Probably not a lot. On the Harley the breather from the crankcase is low, so sometimes it can really puke.

It'd be an interesting experiment. Anyway, the dyno guys (Frey Racing) are familiar with lots of cars and experience tells them the accordions have got to go.
[/QUOTE]

dont use PVC use ABS the ABS is black and much harder. wont melt as easily, ill try and get pics of my intake up soon. -pete
Old 03-31-2002, 02:25 PM
apocnmbr1

I've got to say Danielsan, I did this about a week ago and I love it!! I don't understand how Bill couldnt hear the difference!!!!Although I do have an idea as to get rid of the accordian tubbing. Im going to run to home depot real quick, and if this works like i think it will, i will post some pics...By the way...thanks for the help!

Old 03-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Not so odd

dont use PVC use ABS the ABS is black and much harder. wont melt as easily, ill try and get pics of my intake up soon. -pete [/B][/QUOTE]

Can you get ABS plastic tubing at a home-improvement center? I've never seen it. Where 2 buy?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Not so odd

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

dont use PVC use ABS the ABS is black and much harder. wont melt as easily, ill try and get pics of my intake up soon. -pete
Can you get ABS plastic tubing at a home-improvement center? I've never seen it. Where 2 buy? [/B][/QUOTE]

i got mine at an ACE hardware a long time ago, they still have it. as for the idea to eliminate the flex section i havent tried it but i might. people who mailed me wanting pix of my intake im going to take them when i finish my exhaust in a little while , ill take pics of my car too if your interested
-pete
Old 04-02-2002, 11:17 AM

Now that you have been using the breather filter for a little while do you see any problems or anything? I might be using one soon but want to know if you ran into any issues in doing so?

SuDZ

Quick Reply: $15 and it works, My Upper Intake pipe