4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intermitent starting problems-fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 07:43 AM

Intermitent starting problems-fuel pressure?

I've owned a used 1998 Maxima since last November. Since the purchase, I've had a problem that comes and goes. After the car has sat for awhile, and not necessarily overnight, the car won't catch when started. It stalls unless I catch it first and advance the tach to about 1K and hold it for a couple of seconds. Then it is fine and I have no performance issue once running.

I read a thread at Maxima.org, I found with a search, that claimed that this could be a leaky injector or a bad check valve on the fuel pump.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I like the car but this is annoying to the point of getting rid of the car after only 1/2 a year.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2002, 09:19 AM

You might want to check the PVC value and also do a throttle body clean.

Have you ever cleaned the fuel injectors?
Old 03-29-2002, 10:30 AM

No I haven't, Does this have to be taken apart, the injectors, or can a professional fuel system cleaning take care of this?

Also what do you mean by the PVC value. I assume it is the original valve. The car had only 36K on it when I bought it.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:00 PM

Hard Start Nissan TSB

Guy's...I occasonally have had this problem...feels like the fuel pressure is low when you first crank after the car has been driven and stopped for an hour or so. Usually happens when engine is warm...never cold. I believe its a sensor thing. Check Nissan Technical Service Bulletin 97082797026 dated 9708. Your dealer can check it out.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: Hard Start Nissan TSB

Originally posted by Mark Reilly
Guy's...I occasonally have had this problem...feels like the fuel pressure is low when you first crank after the car has been driven and stopped for an hour or so. Usually happens when engine is warm...never cold. I believe its a sensor thing. Check Nissan Technical Service Bulletin 97082797026 dated 9708. Your dealer can check it out.
Given the TSB# you provided, do you know where I can check out the details of this TSB?

Thanks!
FLO_BOY
Old 03-29-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Hard Start Nissan TSB

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

Given the TSB# you provided, do you know where I can check out the details of this TSB?

Thanks!
FLO_BOY
It was on a National Highway Traffic Safety Association website somewhere last year which listed the TSB's for any make, year and model. Try (www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm} The specific details of the TSB were not included but, you can order the document thru them. I took the TSB# to my dealer and he checked for a Nissan service campaign, but nothing was set up. My hard start problem seems to have gone away...as a matter fact, my Service Advisor indicated it had to do with the coolant temperature sensor....

Hope this helps....Mark
Old 03-29-2002, 01:27 PM

This all sounds too familiar to me. I have a code 0905 which is coolant temp sensor, checked my coolant temp sensor and it checked out ok; still having this same problem. car starts ok when cold but sometimes when hot it stalls or will not crank unless i floor the accelerator and try cranking a few times. only happens when car is hot. it's very frustrating and i don't want to go to the dealer. any more specifics that NE1 can add to this would be very appreciated.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:59 PM

I,too, experienced problems like this. Found out I had a bad front O2 sensor. The sensor never tipped the CEL, but after driving the car around for a month not knowing what the problem was, I eventually had to replace the starter, also. I had a very hard time figuring what the problem could be. I then took the time to take it to a Nissan dealer to run an analysis. According to their computer, my front O2 sensor wasn't running in specs. Since I replaced it, problem disappeared.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intermittent no-start

Nissan Technical Service Bulletin 97082797026 dated 9708. Is this the same one as TSB 97-057 posted on All-Data regarding "Engine Controls - Intermittent No-Start"?

Can someone provide any info on these? I'd like to know what they're about before I order it for $10 from DDS Publications.

Thanks