4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Case of the cheating mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 11:11 AM

Case of the cheating mechanic

well this was all about a month ago...i went to my usual mechanic to get an oil change, front brake pads..and fuel filter and PCV valve changed(60K)..so my mechanic is on vacation, so i go to sum other place...and theydid everything...but then a few weeks later, i was still having sum REAL bad gas mileage, it was coninuing from like 5 months, and i was thinkn after gettin the fuel filter changed, it would help...but then when i took it to the usual mechanic, he checked my car, and said my fuel filter was clogged, and was giving bad fuel pressure and gettin the fuel pump clogged too, and i said but it was jus changed 2 weeks ago, and he said thats impossible...and this mechanic ive been with for like 2 years, good friend of mine...well he fixed up my stuff, but damn i felt so SCREWEDDDD...im always sticking to my mechanic from now on, or even doing it on my own, gotta get a factory service manual...well jus lettin u guys know not to trust mechanics AT ALL these days, they jus tryin to make money
Old 03-30-2002, 11:23 AM

Stories like yours are why I try to everything myself. It may take me a little longer, but at least I know it was done right.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:42 AM

Ditto. Do all your own auto and computer work and you'll be set. Now if I could only figure our the heating/AC...
Old 03-30-2002, 12:20 PM

Yeah, it is alot better doing everything yourself. I am not the most mechanicaly inclinded person, but I have a couple friends that now it all.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 AM

Did you get better mileage after?

SuDZ
Old 04-26-2002, 09:44 AM

but first of all

who is the mechanic and where is he so i know not to go there..cause i would hate to go to jail for beating down someone!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: Case of the cheating mechanic

Originally posted by NyC97Max
well this was all about a month ago...i went to my usual mechanic to get an oil change, front brake pads..and fuel filter and PCV valve changed(60K)..so my mechanic is on vacation, so i go to sum other place...and theydid everything...but then a few weeks later, i was still having sum REAL bad gas mileage, it was coninuing from like 5 months, and i was thinkn after gettin the fuel filter changed, it would help...but then when i took it to the usual mechanic, he checked my car, and said my fuel filter was clogged, and was giving bad fuel pressure and gettin the fuel pump clogged too, and i said but it was jus changed 2 weeks ago, and he said thats impossible...and this mechanic ive been with for like 2 years, good friend of mine...well he fixed up my stuff, but damn i felt so SCREWEDDDD...im always sticking to my mechanic from now on, or even doing it on my own, gotta get a factory service manual...well jus lettin u guys know not to trust mechanics AT ALL these days, they jus tryin to make money
That is not TRUE. It was all an isolated incident.
I'm a mechanic, I own a Maxima, and I don't screw around w/ customer's cars.

Which shop messed with your car, you should report this to the BBB.

-Peace

Old 04-26-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Case of the cheating mechanic

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

-Peace
Old 04-26-2002, 10:30 AM
is invisible

Re: Case of the cheating mechanic

Originally posted by NyC97Max
...well jus lettin u guys know not to trust mechanics AT ALL these days, they jus tryin to make money
Isn't everybody just trying to make money?

Have you approached the shop that screwed you over?
Old 04-26-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Case of the cheating mechanic

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

-Peace
Good advise on reporting them to the BBB. However, it's also a good idea to check any business you plan to use ahead of time with the BBB to find out if they are a member and have a satisfactory rating or not. This can save allot of grief although it's not a guaranty.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:33 PM

It's a good idea to keep friendly relations with your nearest Nissan dealer service and parts people. Also, know a good independant mechanic in case Nissan charges too much for the repair. And most important, do what you can do, it's always cheaper and most likely a better quality job than the above 2 repairs. Know your limits too!
Old 04-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

He probably realized how much of a pain it is to replace the filter
on the max and said, "screw it".
Still not right though.