4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CEL light after changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 02:05 PM

CEL light after changing plugs

Got the CEL after putting Bosch Platnum +4's in. Screwed up getting the code out of the ECU and cleared it instead. CEL never came back and self-check came back 0505.

Assuming the code came up when I accidentally turned on the ignition with a coil disconnected. I didn't get the CEL until AFTER idleing the car to circulate the oil through the engine and filter to check for leaks.

It's all good now but just wondering if this is common. Kinda freaked me for a minute or two.

Mike
98 all origional GXE
81K and ain't seen a mech yet
Old 03-31-2002, 02:30 PM

I would stay away from those Bosch plugs. I heard many of people having problems with afermarket plugs other than the NGK's. Our Maximas don't seem to like them.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
I would stay away from those Bosch plugs. I heard many of people having problems with afermarket plugs other than the NGK's. Our Maximas don't seem to like them.
Damn, damn, damn! I was afraid that was the answer. The CEL hasn't come back yet and they have helped the bottom end torque a bit. I was gonna ask on here first but went out and bought these one's. Guess that's what I get for not researching well enough.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by brownmht

Damn, damn, damn! I was afraid that was the answer. The CEL hasn't come back yet and they have helped the bottom end torque a bit. I was gonna ask on here first but went out and bought these one's. Guess that's what I get for not researching well enough.
You may be OK though. Some have reported good success with the +4's. Definitely, stay away from regular Bosch Platinums.

After several weeks of trouble free operation, I would sample a plug or two and make sure it does not look fouled or have signs of detonation. If it looks normal, you are probably OK. Even with suboptimal plugs, I have never heard of anyone getting a CEL so that was probably nothing...
Old 03-31-2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

You may be OK though. Some have reported good success with the +4's. Definitely, stay away from regular Bosch Platinums.

After several weeks of trouble free operation, I would sample a plug or two and make sure it does not look fouled or have signs of detonation. If it looks normal, you are probably OK. Even with suboptimal plugs, I have never heard of anyone getting a CEL so that was probably nothing...
Thanks. I was thinking of that myself. I had the NGKs ordered on line and decided I didn't wanna wait for shipping and hopped in Max and drove to To Trak Auto and saw the ad. Well, props to the Marketing Dept at Bosch.