4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shortened front Koni and strut assembly installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 06:04 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Shortened front Koni and strut assembly installed

I put them on yesterday and just got a chance to drive them around today. All I can say is wow... Along with the modified rear strut mounts... I've regained at least 1" of my suspension travel and you can feel it. I got to turn up my front KONI setting up another half turn and it is still 'softer' over bumps than before. I would say about the same as the stock SE feel (kinda hard to remember after so many years).

People with the Konis can have the front strut and assembly modified by Mike at www.motivational.net
Old 04-07-2002, 06:09 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

why do they mention that lowering springs should be used?
Old 04-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Shortened front Koni and strut assembly installed

Originally posted by Chunger
I put them on yesterday and just got a chance to drive them around today. All I can say is wow... Along with the modified rear strut mounts... I've regained at least 1" of my suspension travel and you can feel it. I got to turn up my front KONI setting up another half turn and it is still 'softer' over bumps than before. I would say about the same as the stock SE feel (kinda hard to remember after so many years).

People with the Konis can have the front strut and assembly modified by Mike at www.motivational.net
Sound great! I am kind of bummed with my H&R KONI set up. I can deal with this creaking noise in the left rear but the problem is that over moderate bumps (ie. train tracks) and only going at modest speeds (35mph), the front struts bottom. Feels like crap--jolts the entire front end/dash. I'm wondering if I should just accept it, maybe switch to AGX (if it is a more progressive strut), or go with motivational. Motivational's pricing is a little expensive if I get the KONI's hacked and also do the back mounts...
Old 04-07-2002, 07:22 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I'm using Intrax springs, but I think he meant with stock type springs (as opposed to coilovers)....

Motivational does sell the whole modified strut and koni setup for the fronts for $400 for the pair but if you already have it, he can modify it for under $150... email him.

The only reservations is that the koni strut is modified so lifetime warantee may be void... ask him. I didn't car.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NickStam
why do they mention that lowering springs should be used?
Shortening your KONI cartridges is intended for lowering springs. Because lowering springs are shorter, the piston rod of your struts operate in a shorter range from bottoming out to extension. By shortening the end of the strut by an inch, there is one more inch where you otherwise might have bottomed. The mod is intended to restore the travel of the struts to near stock (ie. lower your car 1.5", restore 1" travel). Stock springs would not benefit as they almost NEVER bottom out so would not even use the added range.