4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

First mod...! (sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 08:33 AM

First mod...! (sigh)

...but it's not a very exciting one. Just finished replacing my rear window switches and front passenger switch LEDs with blues and the front driver side with a blue/red combination last night. Looks really good (imo), but it's impossible to get a good picture of the LEDs without them looking completely dim.

Hey, it may not be that great - but I was able to get everything I needed at Radioshack. Can't wait until I can afford to buy my intake, fstb, front clears, and spoiler at the end of the month (birthday money = good).
Old 04-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Banned

Cool, I've never seen blue and reds - I'll bet it looks pretty sweet.

Kudos on your first mod
Old 04-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Sports Button FTW

wow...that's great...can u post pics? if it REALLY looks hot i may invest in that as well.....
Old 04-11-2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
wow...that's great...can u post pics? if it REALLY looks hot i may invest in that as well.....
Using my crappy camera fairly late at night (finished everything around 10 PM) I wasn't able to get any shots that showed off the color very well, they all made the LEDs look pretty dim (I wanted before and after pictures and with the stock LEDs you couldn't even tell there was any light there at all). Later this week I'm going to see if I can borrow a better camera from someone and get some real pictures. Stay tuned...

(also going to try taking some pictures in different amounts of light)

By the way, the whole thing was REALLY cheap. $40 all together, but only because my old soldering iron fell out of a window last month (don't ask) and I needed to buy a new one. The total cost of LEDs for all four doors was under $20. Under $10 if you only want to do the rears and passenger side. And the driver side was a |3itch to do.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:13 AM

Congrats on your first mod. If your lioke the rest of us once you do one they just keep coming

SuDZ
Old 04-11-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Congrats on your first mod. If your lioke the rest of us once you do one they just keep coming

SuDZ
Tell me about it. Now that I'm done I'm ****ed there isn't anything else for me to do right now.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: First mod...! (sigh)

Originally posted by Paradoxish
...but it's not a very exciting one. Just finished replacing my rear window switches and front passenger switch LEDs with blues and the front driver side with a blue/red combination last night. Looks really good (imo), but it's impossible to get a good picture of the LEDs without them looking completely dim.

Hey, it may not be that great - but I was able to get everything I needed at Radioshack. Can't wait until I can afford to buy my intake, fstb, front clears, and spoiler at the end of the month (birthday money = good).
Congrats on your first mod. . . I think the switches are cool and I know I get a lot of comments on mine. It is hard to get pictures that accurately display the color though, but for the most part they are brighter than the stock green.

I have a question for you, are your rear switches brighter then your front? I know they are in my car and I wanted to see if it is normal.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:36 AM
I need a truck

i wanna do that ... how easy was it?
Old 04-11-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: First mod...! (sigh)

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy

Congrats on your first mod. . . I think the switches are cool and I know I get a lot of comments on mine. It is hard to get pictures that accurately display the color though, but for the most part they are brighter than the stock green.

I have a question for you, are your rear switches brighter then your front? I know they are in my car and I wanted to see if it is normal.
Thanks. And no, I didn't notice the front switches being dimmer than the rears. Then again, I wasn't paying too much attention to the relative brightness of the front/rears, so if you're not talking about a really noticeable difference I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway.

When I first did the left side rear switch, though, I noticed that it was much dimmer than the right side. After I took it back out and resoldered it seemed to fix the problem.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 AM

I know theres a post for this mod, but Im having hell finding it. Anyone got a link?
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: First mod...! (sigh)

Originally posted by Paradoxish

Thanks. And no, I didn't notice the front switches being dimmer than the rears. Then again, I wasn't paying too much attention to the relative brightness of the front/rears, so if you're not talking about a really noticeable difference I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway.

When I first did the left side rear switch, though, I noticed that it was much dimmer than the right side. After I took it back out and resoldered it seemed to fix the problem.
It is pretty noticeable if you look at it, but the rears are at the same level of brightness, and the fronts are at the same level of brightness at least on my car. . . I just think it may be my car.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Conrad283
i wanna do that ... how easy was it?
Really easy. The driver side is kind of a pain in @ss, but it's not really any harder than the others. It's just pop out the trim/switch controller, melt the solder around the old LEDs, put in the new LEDs, resolder, and pop the trim/switch controller back in. Took about an hour all together.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Capitone
I know theres a post for this mod, but Im having hell finding it. Anyone got a link?
Click the link in my sig. . . It goes directly to my write-up on how to do this, and contains references to any threads you should look at also. It isn't very hard to do.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:37 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Looks really cool, I'd like to see the pics when its done on a 97+ Max
Old 04-11-2002, 01:47 PM

Click the link in my sig. . . It goes directly to my write-up on how to do this, and contains references to any threads you should look at also. It isn't very hard to do.
These instructions say only for 95-96. Has anyone figured out how to make things work for a 97+?
Old 04-11-2002, 02:55 PM

These instructions say only for 95-96. Has anyone figured out how to make things work for a 97+?
Front is no problem and is the same (from what I have been told), it is the rears that are the pain. People have come up with ways to do it, but I wouldn't consider then safe enough to do in my own car due to potential shorts that may occur. I also have no clue if 95-96 switches work in 97+ cars, that may be the other option.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:18 PM

Front is no problem and is the same (from what I have been told), it is the rears that are the pain. People have come up with ways to do it, but I wouldn't consider then safe enough to do in my own car due to potential shorts that may occur. I also have no clue if 95-96 switches work in 97+ cars, that may be the other option.
Cool. I rarely have pasengers anyway....hmmm.....are there LEDs behind the AC and Radio Console? I KNOW this would look SaWEEEET up there!....Im going to run a search on that one.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:32 PM

Cool. I rarely have pasengers anyway....hmmm.....are there LEDs behind the AC and Radio Console? I KNOW this would look SaWEEEET up there!....Im going to run a search on that one.
Different bulbs, with condoms over them. . . LEDs are not practical for this due to the small angle at which the light is emitted. You can change the LEDs behind the buttons that changes air flow, recirc, ect (the ones that light up green and orange) though, I know someone on the board did it at one point, but the other dash lighting can't be changed.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:58 PM

Im workin on that one. If you can replace the green film with blue you are set, but its really hard to get in there. Might take me awhile. If you check the thread on the ac control lights theres a little info there.