4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

budget y-pipe followup

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 04:36 AM

budget y-pipe followup

I called budget and WSP yesterday. They gave me a different guy at budget when I had a technical question - he was friendly (and I did get to hear him say "eh"), he say they were getting alot or orders. I asked about mandrel - he said it doesn't make any difference. I'm sure they know their pipes, but don't think they're that knowledgable about maximas (said gains depend on the type engine I had in my maxima since they are different - pretty sure I told him I had a '96). I talked to dallas at wsp, he was very friendly and knowledgable. He said he thought their was a little difference on dyno b/t mandrel and not, but fudged a little and said he couldn't feel a difference. He also said the b-pipe fix has been getting them consistently 2 1/2 mpg better (hard to believe, but I believe him based on his credibility).

My plan:

1. wait to see how bad the tax man kicks my butt (I'm late again)
2. wait for more feedback from fellow .org folk on their experience with their recently installed budget y-pipes (please fill me in y'all)
3. WSP mandrel $225+$15 s/h+$75(b-pipe fix+$10 s/h = $325 + install if still have plenty money
4. budget $165-$175 shipped + $85 (wsp b-pip fix) = $255 + install if poor

So far from research: budget very good and cheap; WSP mandrel probably slightly better gain, slightly quieter, slightly more durable (even though wsp is aluminized - budget pipe not entirely stainless and wsp seems pretty fanatical about quality
Old 04-12-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: budget y-pipe followup

Originally posted by tyrotrader
I called budget and WSP yesterday. They gave me a different guy at budget when I had a technical question - he was friendly (and I did get to hear him say "eh"), he say they were getting alot or orders. I asked about mandrel - he said it doesn't make any difference. I'm sure they know their pipes, but don't think they're that knowledgable about maximas (said gains depend on the type engine I had in my maxima since they are different - pretty sure I told him I had a '96). I talked to dallas at wsp, he was very friendly and knowledgable. He said he thought their was a little difference on dyno b/t mandrel and not, but fudged a little and said he couldn't feel a difference. He also said the b-pipe fix has been getting them consistently 2 1/2 mpg better (hard to believe, but I believe him based on his credibility).

My plan:

1. wait to see how bad the tax man kicks my butt (I'm late again)
2. wait for more feedback from fellow .org folk on their experience with their recently installed budget y-pipes (please fill me in y'all)
3. WSP mandrel $225+$15 s/h+$75(b-pipe fix+$10 s/h = $325 + install if still have plenty money
4. budget $165-$175 shipped + $85 (wsp b-pip fix) = $255 + install if poor

So far from research: budget very good and cheap; WSP mandrel probably slightly better gain, slightly quieter, slightly more durable (even though wsp is aluminized - budget pipe not entirely stainless and wsp seems pretty fanatical about quality
My WS y is due to arrive on monday. I researched this subject for a while before deciding on which one to go with. I spoke to Dallas extensively and he seemed very knowledgeable and not like a salesman at all. I mean he did tell me the same thing about the mandrel vs non mandrel. What I read into that was that the difference was very slight and probably not exactly going to be a big issue. Remember, 1 to 2 hp difference is not anything to worry too much over. There's not much price difference anyway. Personally, I opted to go with the non-mandrel not because of price diff but because I could gain a lot more HP somewhere else. I liked WS because Dallas was not rushing me off the phone and answered all my questions honestly. He even owns a maxima and is very well versed on the do's and don'ts for us. When I install mine next week, I will go directly to the dyno to see the results since I dyno'd my car about a month ago.