4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 05:42 PM

window tinting

what type of window tint do you think i should use on this car
www.techstation.com/maxima/morepics.htm
p.s. this is not my car, but it is the same color as mine. i don't have a digital camera, so i can't post pics of mine
Old 04-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Master Will

use smoke,black or titanium no mirror tint please....
Old 04-15-2002, 08:08 PM

it already looks like that car is tinted in the pic, that car with that color wood look best with 50%
Old 04-15-2002, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
it already looks like that car is tinted in the pic, that car with that color wood look best with 50%
i'm sure he knows that the windows are tinted on the pic...he was providing the link to show the color of the car...and have you ever spelled "would" right?...it's "would" dammit!..not "wood"...and 50%...way too light...if you're gonna go with tint, get at least 35%...whatever tint level is in that pic looks pretty good
Old 04-15-2002, 08:40 PM

wood look best with 50%
**** 5%
Old 04-15-2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
**** 5%
5% is hot - but cops will be hanging off your ***** left and right if you get em....in NY atleast
Old 04-15-2002, 09:41 PM

5% is hot - but cops will be hanging off your ***** left and right if you get em....in NY atleast
Love mine
Old 04-15-2002, 09:46 PM

Already had a limo tint previously twice, its an old school for me...Platinum all the way baby!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: window tinting

Originally posted by maximamoose
what type of window tint do you think i should use on this car
www.techstation.com/maxima/morepics.htm
p.s. this is not my car, but it is the same color as mine. i don't have a digital camera, so i can't post pics of mine
does anyone know the legality of reflective tinting in pennsylvania
Old 04-15-2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by EuroMaxima99SE
Already had a limo tint previously twice, its an old school for me...Platinum all the way baby!!!
THAT'S WHAT I WANT what's your exact setup and how can i get that film, do you know what kind it is? thanks what 5% is that too, looks 5%
Old 04-15-2002, 11:39 PM

Check my sig, but it's called Platinum Plus and another layer of 35% reg smoke film, second layer helps to take out some of that mirror glare to make look like a true PLATINUM!

And also, at night, with only one layer of Platinum, you can easily see through it, cuz it looks like just a reg smoke film, but second layer also helps to make it darker at night so its much harder to see and more like a limo tint.

I don't think you're in Dallas, but if anyone wants something like mine, let me know.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:02 AM

@ "wood"

Why go with 5% when you can do 2.5%?

I had 10% and wished everyday that I had gone darker. I NEVER got pulled over for it either.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:31 AM

Check my sig, but it's called Platinum Plus and another layer of 35% reg smoke film, second layer helps to take out some of that mirror glare to make look like a true PLATINUM!

And also, at night, with only one layer of Platinum, you can easily see through it, cuz it looks like just a reg smoke film, but second layer also helps to make it darker at night so its much harder to see and more like a limo tint.

I don't think you're in Dallas, but if anyone wants something like mine, let me know.
So, both layers of tint are 35%?

Also, I'm guessing the smoke tint is applied to the glass first, then the platinum plus is applied on top of that? (Smoke tint is outermost [viewed from the outside of the car] on the glass)?

Have you had any problems with the extra tint catching/peeling on any of the window seals?

It looks very sharp!
Old 04-16-2002, 04:57 AM
CrazyLady

Tint Laws

I am glad you asked the question about tint laws. When I tinted the windows on my 99 SE Limited, I opted for the titanium film and the tint level is the maximum amount that can be used in most states. I went that route because I certainly don't plan on living in Atlanta for the rest of my life.

Here is a link to a site with states' tint laws. Like anything else on the Net, use at your own risk!
http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Looks like folks in PA have a tough time with LEGAL tinting...
http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/why.html

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2002, 06:06 AM

Re: Tint Laws

Originally posted by CrazyLady
I am glad you asked the question about tint laws. When I tinted the windows on my 99 SE Limited, I opted for the titanium film and the tint level is the maximum amount that can be used in most states. I went that route because I certainly don't plan on living in Atlanta for the rest of my life.

Here is a link to a site with states' tint laws. Like anything else on the Net, use at your own risk!
http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Looks like folks in PA have a tough time with LEGAL tinting...
http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/why.html

Good luck!
well, i have also read that it is not illegal as long as you can see through, but would that make the platinum tint illegal in PA.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wait, you can tint over tint?.. will it stick?
if thats possible i'm doing it, 35% was way too light..
Old 04-16-2002, 06:52 AM

can you get me a some of the tint and ship it up to TN?
Old 04-16-2002, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

So, both layers of tint are 35%?

Also, I'm guessing the smoke tint is applied to the glass first, then the platinum plus is applied on top of that? (Smoke tint is outermost [viewed from the outside of the car] on the glass)?

Have you had any problems with the extra tint catching/peeling on any of the window seals?

It looks very sharp!
Honestly, I'm not sure whether Platinum film is 35% but I'm guessing so...And no, in my case, Platinum was applied first and on top of it, 35% reg smoke film. I don't think you would have a such effect of Platinum if it would of been other way around. As for the peeling probs, I only had one prob with one window. Not that both both layers came off but one layer of smoke film kind of got detached but this guy reapplied 2nd layer and I didn't have any probs ever since.

GTRBLK97, I'll find out for you...Actually so many people been emailing me and asking q's about my tint, so Im thinking mine as well get some people together for a PLATINUM GB deal and make some extra $$$. Let me find out how much it will cost me etc...
Old 04-16-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Champagne97

Wait, you can tint over tint?.. will it stick?
if thats possible i'm doing it, 35% was way too light..
Yes.

the 2.5% I spoke of earlier is just 2 layers of 5%.

Kirk
Old 04-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Ya 2.5% is daaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrk.

You can barely see out of it let alone into it.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:27 AM

some cops are now testing if your tint is legal by placing your driver's license on the inside of the car against the window and if he can see it on the outside then its legal....well thats what the cop that pulled me over did....but mine passed... ....but i'm in mississippi so i don't know

anu
Old 04-16-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by patel_anu
some cops are now testing if your tint is legal by placing your driver's license on the inside of the car against the window and if he can see it on the outside then its legal....well thats what the cop that pulled me over did....but mine passed... ....but i'm in mississippi so i don't know

anu
yo, what type of tint is that? is that smoked-mirror tint or something?
Old 04-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Maxer

OUCH! That sounds painful
Old 04-16-2002, 04:23 PM

yeahh i think its smoked mirror, honestly i don't know, i had a friend of mine who worked for a tint place that did it for me for 60 bucks and i told him i wanted mirror tint so i don't know wat type of mirror tint he put on there but someone here told me it looked like smoked mirror

anu
Old 04-16-2002, 07:17 PM

yeahh i think its smoked mirror, honestly i don't know, i had a friend of mine who worked for a tint place that did it for me for 60 bucks and i told him i wanted mirror tint so i don't know wat type of mirror tint he put on there but someone here told me it looked like smoked mirror

anu
what percent is it? can you see through it at all? is it legal where you live?
Old 04-17-2002, 09:08 AM

yeah its perfectly legal, its 35% tint....the tint looks different at different angles, in the sun, it'll give a better effect...and at night, you can barely see the tint.....so visibilty through the tint is very good...

anu

PS....check out my homepage, theres one pic on there where you can see through the tint....its the one of the back seat, its not a good pic but i'll try to take more
Old 04-17-2002, 09:50 AM

yeah its perfectly legal, its 35% tint....the tint looks different at different angles, in the sun, it'll give a better effect...and at night, you can barely see the tint.....so visibilty through the tint is very good...

anu

PS....check out my homepage, theres one pic on there where you can see through the tint....its the one of the back seat, its not a good pic but i'll try to take more
thanks. that helps me a lot
Old 04-19-2002, 05:31 PM

for this car;
http://www.techstation.com/maxima/morepics.htm
would you put a green reflective tint on it, or what. i got some good input so far, but i am still looking for more. i have an appt on monday, so it is crunch time
Old 04-19-2002, 06:10 PM

for this car;
would you put a green reflective tint on it, or what. i got some good input so far, but i am still looking for more. i have an appt on monday, so it is crunch time
I'm not big on colored tints, so I'm probably not the one to ask - I prefer smoke or platinum. Your chances of getting a green tint that will match the shade of green of your paint are minimal & if your paint and your tint are two different shades/tints of the same hue, it could end up looking f-u-g-l-y, imho.

In the end tho, do whatchyalike!

Old 04-19-2002, 06:20 PM

for this car;
I'd prolly leave it as it is...you already have a tint don't you? smoke films looks good on your car, especially when its 5%. Why spend more for tint?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: window tinting

Hey guys,

Just wondering here, but if 5% tint allows 5% of light to pass through, and you add 5% tint to it, then you would only get 5% of the 5% that passed through the first tint, right? That being the case...

(.05)X(.05)=.0025 ----> 0.25% net tint

Does this seem logical to anyone else?

Anyway, I have 5% on my 91 SE (white... now purple windows), and would not recommend it simply because there is a very poor warranty on limo tints and reflectives. I live just outside Allentown, PA. All of my associates have been pulled over for dark tint, but somehow I've escaped for 6 years now. Go figure???

I personally prefer 22% (smoke colored), as it is dark enough but will last more than 3 years. Once you put that stuff on your back window, you may as well put a rock through it if it starts bubbling.

-Seth
Old 04-19-2002, 07:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EuroMaxima99SE
[B]
I'd prolly leave it as it is...you already have a tint don't you? smoke films looks good on your car, especially when its 5%. Why spend more for tint?
that isn't my car. mine is the same color, but with stock rims, etc. i also have a billet grille and clear corners.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:07 PM

Argh. I'm really seriously considering window tint, but I can't decide if it'll look good or a bit weird on my color (silver). I think I might post some pics tommorow to see what everyone here thinks...
Old 04-19-2002, 09:47 PM

Re: Re: window tinting

Originally posted by Pseudopods
Hey guys,

Just wondering here, but if 5% tint allows 5% of light to pass through, and you add 5% tint to it, then you would only get 5% of the 5% that passed through the first tint, right? That being the case...

(.05)X(.05)=.0025 ----> 0.25% net tint

Does this seem logical to anyone else?

-Seth
I was thinking about that too and it seems logical. If that you true though you might as well just paint your windows black.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:13 PM

but I can't decide if it'll look good or a bit weird on my color (silver).
I know someone with a nice silver car. They have a pretty light time, 50% or 35% and it looks really tight. If you get it too dark on silver it looks sorta odd.

-Jon-