4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pad Return Springs - (Front Brakes) Where 2 buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:51 PM

Pad Return Springs - (Front Brakes) Where 2 buy?

"pad return springs," a.k.a.
"anti-rattle springs," a.k.a.
"V-clip pad retainers"

I need to buy just the springs, not as a part of a kit, which I already have most of the ingredients of. If anyone has these available for sale privately, or knows where I can get them, please let me know.

I ordered & rec'd the front brake hardware kit (Part #41080-73L28) from Courtesy Nissan, which includes the pad shims, retainer clips & piston backing plate, as well as some anti-squeal goo. (Courtesy told me the springs should be included) The kit did not contain the pad return springs, however.

Btw, I know the brake design was changed after '96 to omit the pad return springs & many people say don't bother with them, but I'll sleep a little better knowing they're in there. I'll be running slotted rotors, so any pad dragging at all could substantially reduce the lifespan of my front pads.

Also, my new Porterfield R4-S pads came with the holes drilled in the backing plates for the springs, so I'd like to install them with the pads. Apparently, the shop that did my brakes last time threw them away, because the Stillen Metal-Matrix pads I had installed then were not pre-drilled for the springs.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:34 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Pad Return Springs - (Front Brakes) Where 2 buy?

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
"pad return springs," a.k.a.
"anti-rattle springs," a.k.a.
"V-clip pad retainers"

I need to buy just the springs, not as a part of a kit, which I already have most of the ingredients of. If anyone has these available for sale privately, or knows where I can get them, please let me know.

I ordered & rec'd the front brake hardware kit (Part #41080-73L28) from Courtesy Nissan, which includes the pad shims, retainer clips & piston backing plate, as well as some anti-squeal goo. (Courtesy told me the springs should be included) The kit did not contain the pad return springs, however.

Btw, I know the brake design was changed after '96 to omit the pad return springs & many people say don't bother with them, but I'll sleep a little better knowing they're in there. I'll be running slotted rotors, so any pad dragging at all could substantially reduce the lifespan of my front pads.

Also, my new Porterfield R4-S pads came with the holes drilled in the backing plates for the springs, so I'd like to install them with the pads. Apparently, the shop that did my brakes last time threw them away, because the Stillen Metal-Matrix pads I had installed then were not pre-drilled for the springs.

Thanks in advance.

I could of swore that I got new springs in the brake hardware kit...

Maybe a paperclip will work?
Old 04-16-2002, 06:57 AM

Found out what went wrong. . .

Courtesy Nissan pulled & shipped me the wrong front brake hardware kit.

I received the one for the 97-99, (Part #41080-73L28) which does not include the pad return springs.

I should have received Part #41080-73L29.

Courtesy was good about the mistake & will be getting the correct part out to me asap.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:58 AM
ejj

Re: Found out what went wrong. . .

Courtesy Nissan pulled & shipped me the wrong front brake hardware kit.

I received the one for the 97-99, (Part #41080-73L28) which does not include the pad return springs.

I should have received Part #41080-73L29.

Courtesy was good about the mistake & will be getting the correct part out to me asap.
Really? My 97 had return springs. Now I wonder if my 99 does...
Old 04-16-2002, 07:07 AM

My 97 also has anti rattle springs. 2 of them on each pair of pads.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:12 AM

Hmmm, weird

- well, I hope to heck they get it right this time around, regardless of what the part# mixup is. . .

I guess I'll find out in a couple days. -Will post back w/ the part# on the bag when I get it, if it's correct, so anyone who needs to order this can reference it.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:44 AM

My 99 has the springs too. Both upper and lower.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:34 PM

My 96 has them, but I' m having a similar problem with my mom's 99 sentra. I'm replacing the front pads(which has the same brake set-up as my maxima just smaller), but the new pads from the nissan dealer do not have the holes drilled for the "return springs". I called several dealers and I've been told that the pads I was given superceded the old pads and the new ones don't use the "return springs". I wonder if the same thing happened with the maxima pads and those springs are no longer used. Good luck
Old 04-18-2002, 12:39 PM

Still need to buy a set of Pad Return Springs, NEW or USED

Ok,

Courtesy shipped me the same damn brake hardware kit again w/ no Pad Return Springs! I called them to figure out what went wrong & was told (contrary to what I was told last time) that in fact, the brake hardware kit is no longer available with the pad return springs. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

-Then why the f#%& did the last guy I spoke to say they were available and issue a UPS call tag for the first kit & ship me a replacement, Next Day FedEx? -Because he likes wasting the company's $, apparently. Man, we even talked about it in detail. F'n unreal.

So, I have what I started with & still need/want the springs. If you know anyone who has a complete set of (4), new or used & wants to sell, I want to buy. Please email me.

Thanks.

PS: The Nissan part # is: 41080-85F28 (Front brake hardware kit - no pad return springs)

PPS: 2 out of 3 of my Courtesy Nissan web-order experiences have been positive, but this last one will make me think twice, next time I need OEM parts.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:40 PM

they are available at autozone. have them look it up in their
computer. just bought them last weekend.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by vin1024
they are available at autozone. have them look it up in their
computer. just bought them last weekend.
Thanks! Will check in w/ them.

Btw, do you mean you bought the springs separately? (-not as part of the "hardware kit?")
Old 04-18-2002, 06:24 PM

Autozone info:
Brakeware
H5872
Old 04-18-2002, 06:26 PM

it's a hardware kit...pretty cheap though 6-8 bucks or so...
Old 04-18-2002, 06:50 PM

Re: Pad Return Springs - (Front Brakes) Where 2 buy?

[BAlso, my new Porterfield R4-S pads came with the holes drilled in the backing plates for the springs, so I'd like to install them with the pads. [/B]
Hmmm. My R4-S pads that I got last summer did not have any holes for the springs. Left them off and haven't had any problems. I guess there is some theoretical benefit, but given how tightly the the pads are held in place and the total lack of heft that these springs carry, I've got to believe they were ultimately left off for a reason in subsequent years. The pads are definitely awesome. Although they do dust a lot, they bite hard and I have nary heard a peep from them. Nothing is worse than having your car sound like a POS with brake squeel...
Old 04-18-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: Re: Pad Return Springs - (Front Brakes) Where 2 buy?

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Hmmm. My R4-S pads that I got last summer did not have any holes for the springs. Left them off and haven't had any problems...
I just got my R4-S's 3 days ago, direct from Porterfield. I can only assume Porterfield decided at some point (after you got yours) to start drilling the spring-holes (maybe in response to user requests?)

Nissan may have decided to drop the pad return springs for a reason, but I'm not ready to assume it was exclusively an engineering reason. It may have been partly a cost-cutting one or supply problem. Also, I hate to be cynical, but do you think Nissan North America would sell more brake pads and generate more service revenue related to brake service if this simple little part were effective, but left out intentionally?) File that under "things that make you go hmmmmm. . ."

Having said that, I don't see how having them in there could be harmful in any way, and it may actually be beneficial - that's why I've decided I want them on my car. As I mentioned before, running the slotted rotors, ANY pad dragging (even a slight amount) may substantially reduce my pad life expectancy.

I paid way too much for my R4-S's to see them ground away prematurely just for lack of a $6 set of springs.

Btw, there wouldn't be any way to tell if this was a problem under normal conditions, b/c you could have a pad dragging slightly and have no driveability issues, whatsoever.

The only way to tell (scientifically) would be to have a controlled experiment: two identical cars (or one car) run under identical conditions, one with the springs, one without, over the life of two separate pad sets. When the pads are spent, observe the mileage driven to wear them out on both setups. (But who's going to go through that?)

I'll just spend the $6 on the springs & put my mind at ease.

Glad to hear you like your PF's. I'm looking forward to my new setup:

Goodrich SS braided lines
Brembo slotted (OEM sized)
Porterfield R4-S

I already installed the lines & the pedal feel is incredible under hard braking. Will head off to AutoZone 2morrow & report back after my install.

Peace.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:04 PM

The latest. . .

Vin1024,

Thanks for the good steer to AutoZone. I picked up front brake hardware kit Part #H5872 today (includes pad retainers & the much sought after pad return springs) -doesn't include pad shims. $8.23, total.

Will do install 2morrow. . .
Old 04-19-2002, 09:31 PM

no prob...glad it worked out