4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air conditioner not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Air conditioner not working

I finally tried to use the AC this year, and it doesn't work. I turn on the AC, but my revs doesn't even go up and nothing is coming out of my vents, just warm air. Could it be b/c I am out of refrigerant? I even looked underneithe the car to see if water was dripping out, and it wasn't. The light on the AC comes on.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Air conditioner not working

Originally posted by Supa Lao
I finally tried to use the AC this year, and it doesn't work. I turn on the AC, but my revs doesn't even go up and nothing is coming out of my vents, just warm air. Could it be b/c I am out of refrigerant? I even looked underneithe the car to see if water was dripping out, and it wasn't. The light on the AC comes on.
I had the same problem with mine. When you turn it on, there is no engine rev decrease. Run an ECU diagnostic and see if any EVAP codes come up. A bearing went out in my compressor this fall, and it burned up the compressor. (This was my experience at least.) If no codes come up on an ECU diag, than you may just need a recharge. Also, listen under the passenger side of the vehicle by the front tire and have someone turn the A/C on and off. If you dont hear the compressor engage, then your compressor may be done for. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:19 PM

If your compressor engages but no cold air, check for low refrigerant levels (a pressure test will confirm this). If you are lucky, you are low on R134a, and it will be like $75 and you'll get cold air again. But check to make sure the reason why you are low in the first place isn't because you have a leak!
Old 04-16-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Air conditioner not working

Originally posted by maxwillden

Run an ECU diagnostic and see if any EVAP codes come up. A bearing went out in my compressor this fall, and it burned up the compressor.
I've had that EVAP code come up before, when I ran ECU diagnostic earlier this year. I didn't know what it was, and the check engine light went away. If it is my compressor, is it hard to fix and expensive?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2002, 01:51 PM

Hm...strange, but my a/c doesn't seem to be working either. I just noticed this yesterday. When I turned on the a/c, it seem like a fan blowing air in, no cool air at all. I'm going to get it check out this week. Down here, it's getting warmer and warmer, can't live without a working a/c unit.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:03 PM

****!

just tried my ac today. 90 degrees outside. nothing. the compressor
cycles on and off...no cold air. on a 99 car! i'm going to stop at
autozone and pickup a recharge kit...but there must be a leak somewhere...i've NEVER had an AC problem on this new of a car before...
Old 04-16-2002, 02:42 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

A/C work requires special tools... I would have a shop do it.

Make sure that you check the fuse if the compressor isn't engaging. Only replace it with a same amperage fuse... If it blows then the compressor is drawing too much current and you'll need to replace it.

Oh... for those with 99 models or extended coverage: is it still under warantee? That would be easiest... if you're lucky.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:27 PM

Yeah, 92 degrees in Central NJ today. First time this year I put on the A/C. It came on and everything but the air wasn't very cold. It was cooler then the cold air vents, but it still wasn't ICY like many other cars. I drove about 5-6 miles and then figured I better stop wasting the gas and opened the windows.

My question is: Is the maxima A/C just not very cold like many other cars, or is there somehing wrong with mine? thanks.

-Ian
Old 04-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I Have Tha Same Problem i have a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE and the compressor and the car fan kicks on but no cold air i even recharged my freeon. That Didnt Help. i scheduled an appointment at Irvine Nissan , But I Went to Tustin Nissan Today and said it would be $86.00 to do an AC check
Old 04-16-2002, 04:08 PM
ejj

Can you see if the compressor clutch is engaging? You should be able to see if the compressor pully is spinning when the AC is on.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:26 PM

just recharged my ac

i just recharged my ac with a kit from autozone -- around $30.
it includes the low side connector, 3 cans of r134 and 1 can of oil.

the low side connector on the max (on the left side of the car on the ac line, covered by a small blue dust cap) doesn't even require a
fitting to connect to the autozone quick release (nice!)

the system took the can of oil and 2 cans of r134 before it was
really cold.

i guess i'll know if i have a huge leak somewhere if the ac lasts
for only a short period of time...
Old 04-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: just recharged my ac

My A/C went out several months ago. They replaced the compressor and checked for leaks. They could not find any, and the compressor didn't fix the problem. It turned out to be the control module on the dashboard. It had burned out. Once I replaced that everything worked fine. You might want to check that too before replacing the compressor.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:53 PM

U guys use the AC??

Thats a sacralidge(if thats how you spell it)
Old 04-16-2002, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Air conditioner not working

I've had that EVAP code come up before, when I ran ECU diagnostic earlier this year. I didn't know what it was, and the check engine light went away. If it is my compressor, is it hard to fix and expensive?
Thanks
I bought a Used compressor from a Salvage Yard here in Utah for $106.00. It's easy to remove/install, but you have to have a dealer, or a basic mechanics shop do the recharge. You can buy the recharge kit, but there's no way to evacuate the system, (unless you own an AC vacuum.)
Old 04-17-2002, 06:31 AM

my ac didnt work when i first bought my max. they told me that a rock went through the compressor but luckily they fixed it anyway
Old 05-13-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: Re: just recharged my ac

Originally posted by scotthat
My A/C went out several months ago. They replaced the compressor and checked for leaks. They could not find any, and the compressor didn't fix the problem. It turned out to be the control module on the dashboard. It had burned out. Once I replaced that everything worked fine. You might want to check that too before replacing the compressor.
ScottHat,
I was just wondering what the symptoms of your A/C problems were before you had work done because my 97 goes on and off intermittently (no codes) every 10 minutes or so when on the highway. Around town it seems to stay cold.

The system was checked for leaks and there were none - it was fully charged.

When the A/C cuts out, musty air comes in and if I'm lucky, it's out for 10 minutes then magically it starts working again for 10 minutes of cold air and off again... (this is while not touching any controls - RECIRC ON, FACE VENT (leftmost) only).

You mention when your A/C "went out", you replaced the compressor (didn't help) and the control module in the dash which fixed it.
(NOTE: Later found that ScottHats car has the climate control system and mine has manual controls so this was a dead end for me) )

Update 6/7/2002: The compressor was cutting out at higher RPM (~2000-2500 or 65-75 on the highway). I could simulate it around town by sticking it in 2nd and cruising at 30-40MPH. Eventually, I could feel the air go from cold to warm.

It's one of those things that would get worse over time until the compressor would completely die so I had it replaced at the dealer - $560 (re-manufactured) installed including a belt. Seems to have cured the problem - I can't reproduce the A/C cutting out anymore.

Maybe it was the compressor clutch or some other internal mechanism but the only way to fix it was to replace the whole thing.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:21 PM

I asked my father what could be the problem here. he deals with this everyday so i'd trust his advise. heres the scoop--your car A/C compressor works with the pressure of the refrigerant to magnetize and therefore begin doing it's job. If your revs aren't going up then your compressor isn't magnetizing or "clutching" into the pulley. This could happen either because 1- your low on r134 so their isn't enough pressure to activate the compressor (your refrigerant) or 2- your compressor has broken bearings or any other such thing which is preventing it from performing it's task. you can check if it's problem #1 by using refrigerant pressure gauges (not a common household item unless your dad is a refrigeration tech) but i would recommend taking it somewhere to get the pressure checked. or you can buy some r134 at autozone and pump it into the system. cars usually need a refrigerant re-up every about 5-7 years depending on usage. so your car is right in that bracket. Hope everything goes fine and all you need is some refrigerant.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:24 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll buy some refrigerant tomorrow and give it a try.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:46 PM

I've got a similar problem.

I originally thought the car just needed a charge so into the dealer I went.

They said the pressure and the R134 amount was fine (didn't add any) when they started to debug the problem.. They claimed it was electrical and when they replaced the A/C relay, the car froze me out during the short (backroads) ride home. Great!! It's fixed (NOT!)

If the originator of this thread is lucky and the charge is good, it might be something as simple as the relay - esp since the clutch doesn't appear to engage. The relay is a $20 part

For me, it's an intermittent problem of the A/C going on and off. Most short trips [ update: lower RPM < 45 MPH ] around town and it seems to work fine.

On highway trips (> 1/2 hour), it goes on and off - meaning it's as if I suddenly shut the A/C switch on the dash OFF - and after 20 seconds 'musty' warm air comes in as you would expect. Sometimes, the a/c stays on for 20 minutes, sometimes on and off every 10-15 minutes (75-80 degree days) or sometimes less.

At an idle, I can turn the A/C button on and off and hear the a/c clutch kick in and out - which I thought rules out some kind of heat related or failure in the clutch which is why ScottHat's message about the control module interested me so much).

[update 6/7/2002 - now irrelevent stuff deleted]

Intermittent electrical problems suck.

Good luck Supa Lao, hope it's just a quick charge up. Summer's coming...

[Solution: from post above]
Update 6/7/2002: The compressor was cutting out at higher RPM (~2000-2500 or 65-75 on the highway). I could simulate it around town by sticking it in 2nd and cruising at 30-40MPH to get the RPMs up. Normally, 1200-1500 RPM (35-45mph) around town driving and it worked fine for the same length of time (30-60 minutes). When the rev's were up (2500), I could feel the air go from cold to warm in less than 2 minutes.

It's one of those things I thought would get worse over time (die sooner than every 10 minutes on/off or at lower RPMs) until the compressor would completely die so I had it replaced at the dealer. $560 (re-manufactured) installed including a belt + full recharge. Seems to have cured the problem - I can't reproduce the A/C cutting out anymore.

Maybe it was the compressor clutch or some other internal mechanism but the only way to fix it was to replace the whole thing.

It was more practical to let the dealer do the $560 job than to try to diagnose it bit-by-bit for $200 a pop. Plus, THEY had said the compressor was bad so the dealer was on the hook.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:00 PM

Check your AC belt, its probably not there : )
Old 05-13-2002, 06:31 PM

Re: Re: Air conditioner not working

Originally posted by PejMax97SE

Check your AC belt, its probably not there : )
Of course your a/c belt also runs the power steering pump so i would hope he would notice the abrupt change!!
Old 05-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: just recharged my ac

Sorry for the late reply. I have a 95 GLE. It has automatic air controls. That control module burnt out I guess, b/c when they replaced that, everything started working again. It's probably similar to the slide switch you mention below. I hope that works for you.

Originally posted by StephenD

ScottHat,
I was just wondering what the symptoms of your A/C problems were before you had work done because my 97 goes on and off intermittently (no codes) every 10 minutes or so.

Musty air comes in and if I'm lucky, it starts working and I get 10 minutes of cold air and off again... (this is while not touching any controls - RECIRC ON, FACE VENT (leftmost) only).

You mention when your A/C "went out", you replaced the compressor (didn't help) and the control module in the dash which fixed it.

What control module do you mean? Was it the slide switch that you can set from cold to hot? Haynes calls this entire cluster a "Push Control Module", I think.

This would be a big help. I'm $$$ into this diagnosis already - started with a relay swap at the dealer (didn't fix it).
Old 05-20-2002, 07:28 PM

More Problems

Since this is the A/C help thread, I might as well tell you guys my experience and ask for your opinions. I bought my 95 SE from someon1 about 2 months ago. A/C worked fine, around 2-3 weeks latewr the air started to get hotter and hotter. Thinking it was no big deal i took it to my friendly mechanic and just told him to put more free-on in. Of course the a/c became ice cold again, so I was happy. A week after, my a/c became hot again, I was confused. I took it back and my mechanic checked it out. They said I had a leak in my A/C evaporator. Never heard of it, but knwo its expensive. Not having the money to get a new one, I asked around and tried ooking for a cheaper evap, until one guy from this forum helped me out. He tol dme that before I go and buy a new evap., i should put in some STOP LEAK FREE-ON. Perhaps that would stop the leak. I put it in and for almost 3 months i had cold air. Just the other day it became hot again. I dont' want to waste anymore money on free-on, but getting a new evap. is still too much. What do you guys think? Any ideas?
Perhaps all the other guys who have a/c problems should check their evap. for leaks, it happens. Anyways, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:34 PM

Re: More Problems

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
Since this is the A/C help thread, I might as well tell you guys my experience and ask for your opinions. I bought my 95 SE from someon1 about 2 months ago. A/C worked fine, around 2-3 weeks latewr the air started to get hotter and hotter. Thinking it was no big deal i took it to my friendly mechanic and just told him to put more free-on in. Of course the a/c became ice cold again, so I was happy. A week after, my a/c became hot again, I was confused. I took it back and my mechanic checked it out. They said I had a leak in my A/C evaporator. Never heard of it, but knwo its expensive. Not having the money to get a new one, I asked around and tried ooking for a cheaper evap, until one guy from this forum helped me out. He tol dme that before I go and buy a new evap., i should put in some STOP LEAK FREE-ON. Perhaps that would stop the leak. I put it in and for almost 3 months i had cold air. Just the other day it became hot again. I dont' want to waste anymore money on free-on, but getting a new evap. is still too much. What do you guys think? Any ideas?
Perhaps all the other guys who have a/c problems should check their evap. for leaks, it happens. Anyways, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Check around your town, and ask if anyone does AC compressor rebuilds.

You could probably have it rebuilt fairly cheap...

Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: More Problems

Check around your town, and ask if anyone does AC compressor rebuilds.

You could probably have it rebuilt fairly cheap...

Good Luck.
You think that rebuilding my compressor would fix my problem?
Old 05-21-2002, 08:19 AM

My AC gets very cold. It sounds like you might just need a recharge. Even if there is a bigger problem, a recharge is a good place to start.

Originally posted by EN_Maxima
Yeah, 92 degrees in Central NJ today. First time this year I put on the A/C. It came on and everything but the air wasn't very cold. It was cooler then the cold air vents, but it still wasn't ICY like many other cars. I drove about 5-6 miles and then figured I better stop wasting the gas and opened the windows.

My question is: Is the maxima A/C just not very cold like many other cars, or is there somehing wrong with mine? thanks.

-Ian
Old 05-21-2002, 10:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: More Problems

You think that rebuilding my compressor would fix my problem?
Is it the compressor that is leaking?
Old 05-21-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: More Problems

Is it the compressor that is leaking?
Nope, mechanic told me it was my evaporator....
Old 05-22-2002, 08:28 AM

I have a 1997 Maxima SE and I've been having problems with my AC. When I go to turn it on nothing comes out, the indicator on the right hand side of the display goes through the normal motions, going from low to high. After about 5 to 10 minutes of driving it all of a sudden hicks on a full blast. Has anyone had this issue before? If so how did you fix it.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2002, 11:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Problems

Nope, mechanic told me it was my evaporator....
how huch is that to replace?
Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: just recharged my ac

Originally posted by vin1024
i just recharged my ac with a kit from autozone -- around $30.
it includes the low side connector, 3 cans of r134 and 1 can of oil.
They call that a suicide rig! What were your high and low pressure readings and at what ambient temperature before you recharged the system? What were the pressures and temperature after? If you don't know the answer, you have no business messing with the A/C.

There is a reason why there are 133 pages in the '99 FSM on the heater and A/C system.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Problems

Originally posted by mitch33x

how huch is that to replace?
Well, brand new and a good brand evap is like 200+...not good for my wallet, but I can get a used working one of another 95 Maxima for 50 form another memebr of this forum, I think thats what i'm going to haev to do, unless you guys have any other ideas for me. By the way, that 200+ bucks is just for the peice, it would eb another 100 bucks or so just for installation.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:51 PM

I found out the problem to my a/c not working. I tried refilling my a/c and I have a leak. My compressor came on, then my car started smoking. I looked in the front of the car, and out came refridgerant down by the radiator
Old 06-19-2002, 03:12 PM

scotthat,
did everything on your climate control unit work, it just didnt tell the AC to go cold? I mean, would pushing the buttons, change the numbers on the display and cause the fans to kick in? Pressing mode changed which fans blew? Etc... I mean, did you have any reason to suspect the control module?
Old 06-19-2002, 03:55 PM

shameless plug

if anyone needs a compressor, I got a OEM one that works perfectly.