4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BREMBO Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Maxer

BREMBO Rotors?

Okay, I tried the search function and didn't come up with much. Who has Brembo rotors and how do you like them? I'm looking to just upgrade my rotors, not calipers or entire brake system. I just want to make sure Brembos (cross-drilled and slotted) are reliable/don't rust/don't warp, etc.
-Chad
Old 04-16-2002, 04:12 PM

i have them on my fronts. they work just fine no rust no warping. so far ive had them for about 10k. just make sure you get some good metal metallic break pads. and yes it is the stock replacments that i have. i did notice better breaking when i was mountain racing and that was probably due to the fact that it stayed kooler than the stocks.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:38 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally posted by jdmmax
i have them on my fronts. they work just fine no rust no warping. so far ive had them for about 10k. just make sure you get some good metal metallic break pads. and yes it is the stock replacments that i have. i did notice better breaking when i was mountain racing and that was probably due to the fact that it stayed kooler than the stocks.
Thanks guy...good info. NICE RIDE TOO! Anyone else?
-Chad
Old 04-19-2002, 06:19 AM

The slotted *and* drilled rotors are Brembo blanks but they are not machined by Brembo. An independent company does this. The reliability and effectiveness is only as good as the design and work of the company. I've seen some rotors that have the holes and slots not located on the cooling vanes... this defeats the whole purpose. Stick with the name brand rotors and you'll be fine.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:27 AM

I'd suggest Stillen......... let me explain why

I'm currently on my second set of Stillen sport rotors. One set on my 3rd gen and one on my 4th gen. I love them!!! I've never warped or cracked a rotor. I once ran the pads so far down on my 3rd gen that they began to cut into the rotor and after a pad change the rotors still performed flawlessly. Thats the kind of real world testing you dont want to conduct. Anyway I've heard of some really really cheap drilled and slotted Brembo rotors out there and Got Rice? is right, I once emailed one of these guys selling those rotors and he couldn't give me any info on where the drilling and slotting was performed. It all seemed a little weird. If you're looking for Stillen rotors check with Got Rice? aka Phuong.
www.eatricezone.com he's got a sweet deal on the Stillen rotors and pads, you should check it out.

PS: He does great business and is very prompt, he wont sell you something you dont want or need.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: I'd suggest Stillen......... let me explain why

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
I'm currently on my second set of Stillen sport rotors. One set on my 3rd gen and one on my 4th gen. I love them!!! I've never warped or cracked a rotor. I once ran the pads so far down on my 3rd gen that they began to cut into the rotor and after a pad change the rotors still performed flawlessly. Thats the kind of real world testing you dont want to conduct. Anyway I've heard of some really really cheap drilled and slotted Brembo rotors out there and Got Rice? is right, I once emailed one of these guys selling those rotors and he couldn't give me any info on where the drilling and slotting was performed. It all seemed a little weird. If you're looking for Stillen rotors check with Got Rice? aka Phuong.
www.eatricezone.com he's got a sweet deal on the Stillen rotors and pads, you should check it out.

PS: He does great business and is very prompt, he wont sell you something you dont want or need.
Thanks 2ndMax - I appreciate the info. I checked out www.eatricezone.com and plan to go there when I need my new pads/rotors. -Chad
Old 04-19-2002, 01:29 PM
soopamann

Go with stillen. Just got my rotors, they are very nice

Old 04-19-2002, 01:32 PM

If they ever get warpped can you resurface them like regular rotors?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
If they ever get warpped can you resurface them like regular rotors?
you can resurface the rotors but you should determine what caused the warping - warped hubs, bad calipers, improper lug nut torquing, washing the car after it's been driven (cold water + hot rotors = quick temperature change = warpage)