4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Getting Sc....have A Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 02:23 PM

Getting Sc....have A Question

im going to get the stillen supercharger soon. is everything i need in the kit? if not what all would i need. local shop is charging 45 an hour to put it on . so about 500 i guess. 10 hrs roughly. hope this helps it alot.where is the best place to get one. stillen the only one? 3549.00 quoted today.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:44 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Getting Sc....have A Question

Originally posted by 96MAXGLE7
im going to get the stillen supercharger soon. is everything i need in the kit? if not what all would i need. local shop is charging 45 an hour to put it on . so about 500 i guess. 10 hrs roughly. hope this helps it alot.where is the best place to get one. stillen the only one? 3549.00 quoted today.
Call Dean x168 at Stillen. He may be able to get you a better price. Tell him that Min (w/Beige Maxima) referred you. Kit is pretty complete... there may be a few items like hose clamps that you might want to get (I didn't want to reused the factory ones)... If you are very mechanically inclined then you can do it yourself. If not, have a shop do it. I took me one weekend to put it in (and another week to figure out that I had a harness not fully seated!).
Old 04-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Getting Sc....have A Question

Call paul at avalonracing.net, he can get you a better price then that. You should pay no more then $3349.00 shipped with either stillen or avalon.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I'm 95% done with my "SC Install for Dummies". Although, I don't want to make it available to the "public" until I am 100% done, I can e-mail you the sections you need if you are serious about purchasing soon. I answer ALL your questions in my write-up. I listed all the things you will need that isn't included in the kit. You will also see that you WILL be able to install it yourself when you read my write-up. Lastly, don't pay the price you were quoted, it's too high. E-mail me.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
I'm 95% done with my "SC Install for Dummies". Although, I don't want to make it available to the "public" until I am 100% done, I can e-mail you the sections you need if you are serious about purchasing soon. I answer ALL your questions in my write-up. I listed all the things you will need that isn't included in the kit. You will also see that you WILL be able to install it yourself when you read my write-up. Lastly, don't pay the price you were quoted, it's too high. E-mail me.

Good luck.
I'd like to see it!
Old 04-17-2002, 07:31 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Turbo97se, how did you run your turbo exhaust manifold?

-A

Originally posted by turbo97SE

I'd like to see it!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

u guys think i can really do this myself? i mean i do most all my work myself, but dont want to mess this up. and stillen said thats the price right now, it has gone up . glen i think is who i talked to. maybe? he said a guy ordered two the other day. one for him, and the other for his wife. luck gurl......
Old 04-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

u guys think i can really do this myself? i mean i do most all my work myself, but dont want to mess this up. and stillen said thats the price right now, it has gone up . glen i think is who i talked to. maybe? he said a guy ordered two the other day. one for him, and the other for his wife. luck gurl......
if you do it urself dont expect the car to run right away its not that easy chances are you'll miss something and have to go through everything and fix it... leave a good few days to install it and work out all the problems

and low 2 grands are rare but possible... 2500 is a good price to ask for
Old 04-17-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by carnal_c30

if you do it urself dont expect the car to run right away its not that easy chances are you'll miss something and have to go through everything and fix it... leave a good few days to install it and work out all the problems

2500 i wish
Old 04-17-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

does the blitz blow off valve come in the kit, i want the A pillar gauges also , boost and air/fuel . and what about that plastic pulley.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

does the blitz blow off valve come in the kit, i want the A pillar gauges also , boost and air/fuel . and what about that plastic pulley.
the idler pulley blows... it melts... some people on the org got together a deal for metal pulleys...
the kit wont include the guages nor the A pillar pod

2500 is a resonible price, try Avalon Racing if not Stillen I know people who have gotten theirs new for this price or less
Old 04-17-2002, 10:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

the idler pulley blows... it melts... some people on the org got together a deal for metal pulleys...
the kit wont include the guages nor the A pillar pod

2500 is a resonible price, try Avalon Racing if not Stillen I know people who have gotten theirs new for this price or less
where can i get a metal one? i know the gauges dont come,but what about the blowoff valve. blitz
Old 04-17-2002, 11:42 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

where can i get a metal one? i know the gauges dont come,but what about the blowoff valve. blitz
I don't think you'll get it as low as Malik said but you can get it lower than what glen quoted you... The kit retails for $4000 now, IIRC.

Do a search on metal pulley or such ($90 each). I still have the plastic one (supposedly the newer type) and haven't had problems yet (about 5K miles now). But I will get a metal one when I put in my 3.33" S/C pulley.

The Blitz blowoff valve is extra (<$200)... it comes with a cheapy Bosch recirc valve... good enough to do the job for a while.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Chunger

I don't think you'll get it as low as Malik said but you can get it lower than what glen quoted you... The kit retails for $4000 now, IIRC.

Do a search on metal pulley or such ($90 each). I still have the plastic one (supposedly the newer type) and haven't had problems yet (about 5K miles now). But I will get a metal one when I put in my 3.33" S/C pulley.

The Blitz blowoff valve is extra (<$200)... it comes with a cheapy Bosch recirc valve... good enough to do the job for a while.
im thinkn of the y pipe and greddy cat back with this, what pulley size does it come with?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:53 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

im thinkn of the y pipe and greddy cat back with this, what pulley size does it come with?
3.6" regular CARB-exempt 6 psi

Greddy and Y = A Lot of Noise... been there done that.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

3.6" regular CARB-exempt 6 psi

Greddy and Y = A Lot of Noise... been there done that.
6psi so thats cool for daily driven?and lot of power when needed?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:06 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

6psi so thats cool for daily driven?and lot of power when needed?
Definitely a kick in the pants...

But if you're like some folks (I won't name the guilty party ), you may put on a 2.87" pulley for the endless hunt for more boost. Until your engine goes BOOM!
Old 04-18-2002, 12:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Definitely a kick in the pants...

But if you're like some folks (I won't name the guilty party ), you may put on a 2.87" pulley for the endless hunt for more boost. Until your engine goes BOOM!
ok ok......just checking because this is my daily driver....and not overdoing myself with the boom(whoever your talkn about)
Old 04-18-2002, 12:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

i should easily be able to smoke another max......
Old 04-18-2002, 01:00 AM

tranny

is this gonna kill my tranny?
Old 04-18-2002, 09:37 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: tranny

is this gonna kill my tranny?
Depends how you drive it.

I would get a tranny cooler for sure and think about get a vb upgrade from Don.... do a search for more info.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: tranny

Depends how you drive it.

I would get a tranny cooler for sure and think about get a vb upgrade from Don.... do a search for more info.
do you have these? where can i get a tranny cooler>???
Old 04-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Getting Sc....have A Question

Originally posted by JAY25
Call paul at avalonracing.net, he can get you a better price then that. You should pay no more then $3349.00 shipped with either stillen or avalon.

Yeah, what JAY said but subtract $50 - $100. Forget Stillen though.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by turbo97SE

I'd like to see it!

Nigel, you know I already have a reserved copy with your name on it.

In fact, I'd like to see yours! How is your install write-up coming?
Old 04-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

That's right, your car will "be up on jack stands" for days. But no, you won't miss anything nor 'need to work out any problems' with my write-up. And no you can't get a SC for low/mid two-thousands, not a new one anyway. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:11 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: tranny

do you have these? where can i get a tranny cooler>???
No.. I have a 5-speed.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

I drove for an hour and forty five mins at high speeds from the race track and my pulleys have not started to melt. I did purchase metal pulleys and have not installed yet. I paid $160 total for both pulleys.

The supercharger is not hard to install, you want to know whats hard installing the oil return plate and then tightening that hose that connecst to it. Thats the hardest part right there. Also that allen bolt that goes on the bottom of the plate, geez theres hardly no space to work. You can do it.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by JAY25

I drove for an hour and forty five mins at high speeds from the race track and my pulleys have not started to melt. I did purchase metal pulleys and have not installed yet. I paid $160 total for both pulleys.

The supercharger is not hard to install, you want to know whats hard installing the oil return plate and then tightening that hose that connecst to it. Thats the hardest part right there. Also that allen bolt that goes on the bottom of the plate, geez theres hardly no space to work. You can do it.

Yeah, the hardest thing to work on are the belt pulleys. You'll be cussing up a storm. But like I said, my write-up gives tips to make this easier. I have a slick trick for that allen bolt. And the oil drain back hose? Piece of cake. You just have to do it the opposite the way Stillen tells you to do it.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Nigel, you know I already have a reserved copy with your name on it.

In fact, I'd like to see yours! How is your install write-up coming?
Actually, I have most of the pics but I want to do a proper job so I am going to wait for my clutch to come in (it's on order) cos I'll have to tear down 80% of the turbo (actually don't have to but it's easier) to change the clutch. So I'll do the write up then.

Nigel
Old 04-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Yeah, the hardest thing to work on are the belt pulleys. You'll be cussing up a storm. But like I said, my write-up gives tips to make this easier. I have a slick trick for that allen bolt. And the oil drain back hose? Piece of cake. You just have to do it the opposite the way Stillen tells you to do it.
the trick is buy a 5mm allen socket then, get one of the open end wrenches that have the socket action put it over and then turn it and it will come off very fast!! , and the idler pulley you install it from under car, if you have average size hands. The other bolt that connects to the alternator that radiator hose thats blocking it, place a large socket wrench press on it and stick it nect to the radiator and it will be compressed to be out of your way.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Re:

well do you guys think ill be ok with just the tranny cooler, and not dog the crap out of it on take off?
Old 04-19-2002, 12:23 AM

bump

Old 07-11-2002, 07:03 PM

i'm still tempted to do this myself,
went to ptatoheds site and think i may be able to install this
the wife doesn't like much downtime though
Old 08-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Getting Sc....have A Question

Did you ever get a SuperCharger 96MAX?
Old 08-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SC reliability

I heard reports a while back of grinding noises and problems with V2 Superchargers. Has that been an issue for any of you SC owners? How many miles/months have you been running boosted? Any issues to be aware of?
Old 08-02-2002, 09:01 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: SC reliability

Originally posted by ORBRIT
I heard reports a while back of grinding noises and problems with V2 Superchargers. Has that been an issue for any of you SC owners? How many miles/months have you been running boosted? Any issues to be aware of?
Nope. No major issues and mine's a daily driver.

I had mine installed Oct/2000 and my pullies are still intact. I've replaced the belt once because it kept squealing after the winter months.

96MAXGLE7, I don't know if you mentioned earlier if you were 5 spd or auto but if you're auto then you'll need to get the Mobiletek VB modification. That will extend the life of the auto tranny.
I got my pullies from DanNY a couple of months ago but I haven't had the chance to switch them out yet.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:02 PM

Re: Re: SC reliability

Originally posted by BlackCat

Nope. No major issues and mine's a daily driver.

I had mine installed Oct/2000 and my pullies are still intact. I've replaced the belt once because it kept squealing after the winter months.

96MAXGLE7, I don't know if you mentioned earlier if you were 5 spd or auto but if you're auto then you'll need to get the Mobiletek VB modification. That will extend the life of the auto tranny.
I got my pullies from DanNY a couple of months ago but I haven't had the chance to switch them out yet.
Thanks for the info. Are you running a V1 or V2 blower?

I read this on Cheston's web site under Mods, Forced Induction..
..."Currently, you can only get the second generation Vortech S/C code name "V2" through Stillen direct. Pricing is nearly $3600-4000 not including install. Potential problems are persistent with the v2 due to TERRIBLY design flaws on the stock pulley that they are using, and several problems have occured, including belt separation, oil leaks, and even engine detonation..."
Is there anyone out there who has experienced actual problems or is it all rumors of unreliability?
Old 08-02-2002, 03:05 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: SC reliability

Thanks for the info. Are you running a V1 or V2 blower?

I read this on Cheston's web site under Mods, Forced Induction..
..."Currently, you can only get the second generation Vortech S/C code name "V2" through Stillen direct. Pricing is nearly $3600-4000 not including install. Potential problems are persistent with the v2 due to TERRIBLY design flaws on the stock pulley that they are using, and several problems have occured, including belt separation, oil leaks, and even engine detonation..."
Is there anyone out there who has experienced actual problems or is it all rumors of unreliability?
V2.

Yep, I know of Cheston's pulley story and some have had a similar experience but not every V2 owner has had that happen to them yet. The idler pulley has been deemed the weakest link and so the GD was more for peace of mind so none of us has to deal with the same situation.

As for oil leaks I've not had any. I believe this is because I took it to a speed shop that specialized in installing Vortechs in Mustangs. It pays to go with experience.

Belt separation? If the pullies aren't aligned properly then that happens.

I've had knocking recently but that's been cured now by going to one-step colder spark plugs (NGK Platinum PFRG6-11s).
Old 08-02-2002, 04:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SC reliability

Originally posted by BlackCat

V2.

Yep, I know of Cheston's pulley story and some have had a similar experience but not every V2 owner has had that happen to them yet. The idler pulley has been deemed the weakest link and so the GD was more for peace of mind so none of us has to deal with the same situation.

As for oil leaks I've not had any. I believe this is because I took it to a speed shop that specialized in installing Vortechs in Mustangs. It pays to go with experience.

Belt separation? If the pullies aren't aligned properly then that happens.

I've had knocking recently but that's been cured now by going to one-step colder spark plugs (NGK Platinum PFRG6-11s).
Cool, that's reassuring that they're not inherantly unreliable. The dilema is still whether or not to DIY or find a shop - not sure how easy it would be to find a shop here in Oregon, that has any experience with Maximas or Vortechs. I'm also still trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the V2 vs. Nigel's Turbo kit.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC reliability

Cool, that's reassuring that they're not inherantly unreliable. The dilema is still whether or not to DIY or find a shop - not sure how easy it would be to find a shop here in Oregon, that has any experience with Maximas or Vortechs. I'm also still trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the V2 vs. Nigel's Turbo kit.
As you can see above blackcat he had no problems with his Blower neither had I the only problem I had was the pulleys didnt align since it was my fault I was missing 4 bolts but got them and everything is fine. As far as the plastic pulleys I have two sets of metal pulleys so I shouldnt have no problems with melting plastic pulleys. The only oil leak I had was my fault I used the wrong gasket on the oil return plate. That got fixed already. I feel very confident and would install one for about $400 if given the chance

Black cat you installed them metal pulleys yet if you have not email me I have some pics that I took for you to see if you still dont feel confident changing out them pullies

Quick Reply: Getting Sc....have A Question