4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 06:43 PM

Suspension difference

OK... we're looking at buying a 98 Max. Was originally told it's an SE, but it's actually a GLE... car salesman and window sticker folks have no clue!

Anyway, my question is, in YOUR experience, what is the difference in handling between and SE and a GLE??? I own a 91 SE, and love the way it handles. I use to come home every night and pull the e-brake and slide my car into a spot about 2 feet longer than it is because I was so sure of the way it would react. I'm never nervous when going into a curve at a speed higher than suggested.

I just want to know if there is a major difference, or if it is barely noticeable. I know many of you guys have SEs, but I can't find a nice one affordably... in white... with grey or black interior... with no exterior mods... with low miles... know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for your honest replies!
-Seth
Old 04-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I would say the difference is not that noticeable. I would not base my car buying decision on the suspension differences between the two. I'd focus more on the content differences. See the FAQ for some more info on the differences with 4th gens.

That said, it will handle much differently than your 3rd gen did. Not to say it handles worse, but it will be much different.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Suspension difference

Originally posted by Pseudopods
OK... we're looking at buying a 98 Max. Was originally told it's an SE, but it's actually a GLE... car salesman and window sticker folks have no clue!

Anyway, my question is, in YOUR experience, what is the difference in handling between and SE and a GLE??? I own a 91 SE, and love the way it handles. I use to come home every night and pull the e-brake and slide my car into a spot about 2 feet longer than it is because I was so sure of the way it would react. I'm never nervous when going into a curve at a speed higher than suggested.

I just want to know if there is a major difference, or if it is barely noticeable. I know many of you guys have SEs, but I can't find a nice one affordably... in white... with grey or black interior... with no exterior mods... with low miles... know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for your honest replies!
-Seth
I test drove both an SE (97) and a GLE (96 - the car I ended up buying) before I bought my car and the salesmen at the dealership was fairly understanding when I wanted to drive the car a bit harder than might normally be done on a test drive. Personally, I noticed the difference between the two but it wasn't a big deal. I agree that the suspension differences aren't something you should base your decision (especially if you're ever going to upgrade the suspension in the future). In my particular case I was looking at a near stripped SE and an almost completely loaded GLE. Go with whatever car has the options you're looking for.

Oh, and I don't think any GLE's have 5-speeds. So if that's important to you...
Old 04-18-2002, 07:28 PM

Re: Re: Suspension difference

Yeah, I originally was looking at a 98 SE 5-speed, white, grey cloth, roof, wing, all the bells and whistles that I wanted, but other salesman at the dealer sold it right our under my contact while I was faxing pay stubs to the bank!!!

Anyway, this GLE has everything, but I didn't know how the handling would be. My buddy has a 98 SE, and it drives nice (although I've never taken it for a hell ride), so I just figured I'd like that.

The only thing I don't like about GLE is the chrome grill and handles (and the wood trim...), but I may have some ideas for those anyway.

Anyway, thanks for your input (both so far), it is much appreciated.

-Seth