4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

turbo WRX or turbo GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 07:39 PM

turbo WRX or turbo GSR?

which one would you race?
Old 04-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Neither...because I don't pick fights I know I'll lose...
Old 04-18-2002, 07:50 PM

I really dont give about loosing.
but which one would u race?
Old 04-18-2002, 07:51 PM

Re: turbo WRX or turbo GSR?

Originally posted by Sexima
which one would you race?
How 'bout this? If I see either one of them I run away and hide somewhere.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Ok, I would race them both. Really, I'll race anyone just to see what happens.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Ok, I would race them both. Really, I'll race anyone just to see what happens.
Ya never know. Maybe the guy in the WRX'll completely forget to shift.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would race the GSR. I have already raced a WRX and won by a car length up to 80. Plus those have a turbo stock. The GSR's are pretty fast stock, add a turbo and there's some competition.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by MAXINXS
I would race the GSR. I have already raced a WRX and won by a car length up to 80. Plus those have a turbo stock. The GSR's are pretty fast stock, add a turbo and there's some competition.
did you race him on a strip?
i dont think you beat him...
Old 04-18-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by MAXINXS
You sure it wasn't a regular Impreza? WRX's are lighter (I think?) and more powerful than us and I'd imagine they're running all over modified Max's while they're still stock. After all, don't WRX's running mid 14's stock?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:28 PM

both of those cars will walk all over us, unless we got sum NOS or S/C
Old 04-18-2002, 08:29 PM

why not race them both??
Old 04-18-2002, 08:31 PM

why not race them both??
but why race cars that have turbo and built for speed
when u drive a family car??
Old 04-18-2002, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd sit back with a beer and watch them race each other.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:10 PM

What if I have a SC and NOS in a family car? I'm actually going to race a heavily modded WRX soon. It's owned by Vitek Performance and it's got a Stage II turbo upgrade from Cobb Tuning, downpipe, exhaust, and 50 shot. But it's an auto.

Originally posted by MaximaPower

why not race them both??
but why race cars that have turbo and built for speed
when u drive a family car??
Old 04-18-2002, 09:11 PM

race anyone just to see, but not for money or ..pinkslips."YOU NEVER HAD ME - YOU NEVER HAD YOUR CAR"
guys if our max's are such family cars and we get whooped by mad new cars that come with so much power stock, why do we bother to mod maximas? i mean anything N/A which still leaves us behind of the new cars? im confused now. feeling slightly inferior
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
What if I have a SC and NOS in a family car? I'm actually going to race a heavily modded WRX soon. It's owned by Vitek Performance and it's got a Stage II turbo upgrade from Cobb Tuning, downpipe, exhaust, and 50 shot. But it's an auto.

well then it'll be a good race...but my bet goes to the
WRX if both max and wrx were heavily modded
Old 04-18-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by sil SE
race anyone just to see, but not for money or ..pinkslips."YOU NEVER HAD ME - YOU NEVER HAD YOUR CAR"
guys if our max's are such family cars and we get whooped by mad new cars that come with so much power stock, why do we bother to mod maximas? i mean anything N/A which still leaves us behind of the new cars? im confused now. feeling slightly inferior
i dunno, why do YOU mod your maxima? I mod it mostly to make it look better and ride better, its already fast enough for me (a little too fast sometimes)
Old 04-18-2002, 09:56 PM

It's a fast car, but it has no top end even with all the upgrades. It launches hard, but doesn't pull that hard once it gets up to speed. I've driven it, and it's sickening to launch it because it pushes you so hard into your seat, but after that it feels kind of normal. My car can't launch worth a d@mn because of wheelspin, but at speed, it pulls harder.

Originally posted by MaximaPower

well then it'll be a good race...but my bet goes to the
WRX if both max and wrx were heavily modded
Old 04-18-2002, 10:15 PM
Sports Button FTW

that's your problem, it's really not about being the fastest car but being the fastest in it's class. Not to mention that in the year of our maxima's, most other common cars can't touch us (acura's, honda's, VW's, etc.) if heavily modded. You can't compare a 95 max to a 2002 WRX, that's ludacris, that's like comparing a 95 lexus GS to the newest corvette to come out...i mean we ARE a family car, but that all depends on how you look at your car. I don't look at mine like that, I like the extra space cause i'm a big guy but like my sig says, "strong enough for sporting, PH balanced for luxury" i'm trying to give it the honda sporty look even though it came with the ehh mercedes styling?
Old 04-18-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
It's a fast car, but it has no top end even with all the upgrades. It launches hard, but doesn't pull that hard once it gets up to speed. I've driven it, and it's sickening to launch it because it pushes you so hard into your seat, but after that it feels kind of normal. My car can't launch worth a d@mn because of wheelspin, but at speed, it pulls harder.

Dude! Let me know how your race goes! I'd be very interested. Also the reason why the WRX has such a crappy top end is cos the turbo is tiny ... I mean TINY. That will choke the exhaust real bad! Slap a T-60 on that sucker and it will fly ... get lag though so you won't feel the kick in the butt! Why do you think they always quote 0-60 times? The turbo spins up VERY fast and is probably good to only 300-350 HP.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:42 PM

Coming from a past that involves a 626 (A true "family" car, I guess - since it had no power at all and everything in it was arranged around the passengers instead of the driver) and an Integra (a much "sportier" car) I can say there's no reason at all to feel inferior about the Maxima. You drive a really well built, high quality, near-luxury car that's good for daily driving and for whatever else you want to put it up to. And why you mod your car is up to you, but from what you say I'd assume you do it to make what's already a pretty quick car even faster.

To put things into perspective..

A lot of us have heated seats, leather interiors, automatic climate control, power seats, power everything, high-end factory sound systems, and other luxury-level items in a car that'll run mid-upper 15's in the 1/4 mile stock with an automatic. Now, the WRX may run mid 14's stock, but that is a much smaller car with a TURBO that doesn't have nearly as many options or amenities as we do. Besides, a lot of people with heavily modded Maxima's post times that prove their cars should be able to put up a good fight against a WRX. And a lot of them are still NA.

Anyway, don't let people who drool over the latest new car make you feel bad about what you have.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
I'd sit back with a beer and watch them race each other.
lol, I like your style Take Care
Old 04-19-2002, 06:31 AM

If you don't care about losing, why ask the question? Just race them both! You will get roadkilled pretty bad though IMO.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:21 AM
pmg

The stock wrx is not the beast you guys make it sound like. It's no faster than a 5-spd 4th gen from a roll and the Maxima is far superior in reliability, amenities and looks (I think). I have driven and almost bought a wrx, but I like the Max too much. I just hit 100k and it's still like new. I think I'll be buying a 300zx TT next year to park next to it though.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:19 AM

You are right that the newer vehicles are coming out faster and faster, but look at it like this. My car is paid off so if I go and trade it in for a what a 2002 Max how much will they give you for it? You might end up paying an additional $10,000 plus amount plus the high insurance since the vehicle is new. Now you have a car payment of say $300 for 48 months, or you can drop a supercharger which will bring your car up to 280HP for $3400 or which would be cheaper? in your opinion also my insurance is $77 a month
Old 04-19-2002, 11:30 AM

well i love my max - i love maximas for being so respectable for their class. anyway, im sticking with 4door cars for life- so im loving the wrx sedan.
i guess my point is that im still shocked yet impressed with how all the new cars put out so much power in top level trim usually.
our VQ is awesome though, even though outclassed by the new 2002. and i guess when it comes down to it, if the maxima is meant to be a good family daily driver, we have more than enough power i know. at least for the street, which is where the cops pull us over anyway if we are caught USING our power
Old 04-19-2002, 11:38 AM

did you race him on a strip?
i dont think you beat him...
What a nice way of calling me a liar. Which I am definitely not! Believe what you wan't. All I can say is you were not there! I know it was a WRX as he is a good friend of mine. The two disadvantages he had were that this was his first time really racing anyone besides an rsx that he said he smoked a little while back. The second was that he had a passenger with him that was pretty heavy. I would guess a liitle over 200 lbs. I was by myself. Maybe he doesn't have the quick shifting down like I do yet!? I KNOW that I won though.

I posted this only a short while ago:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=112273
Old 04-19-2002, 01:53 PM

I belive him. ive raced a stock wrx against my stock 97 5spd. we were on the freeway onramp, at first he started gaining on me, while in second gear my car started hauling *** so hard i passed him before i switched to third, and when i did i left him behind. wrx's are more for launching because of their awd system, the car was not made for street racing, thats a rally car, its for racing in turns, slopes, hills etc... you get the idea. I drove one when they barely came out, my friend used to work at the subaru/VW dealeship in 15 st and Camelback and we took it to Camelback Mountain. Now thats a place to drive one of them scobbies, the awd makes tight turns so ****ing tight. So you see, the only reason you guys overestimate the wrx is because of..... the AWD.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:36 PM

well you would think, since they are rally cars with such close gears they would rocket on the line and be an awesome drag race- or maybe its not good afterall that way
Old 04-19-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by RAZER
I belive him. ive raced a stock wrx against my stock 97 5spd. we were on the freeway onramp, at first he started gaining on me, while in second gear my car started hauling *** so hard i passed him before i switched to third, and when i did i left him behind. wrx's are more for launching because of their awd system, the car was not made for street racing, thats a rally car, its for racing in turns, slopes, hills etc... you get the idea. I drove one when they barely came out, my friend used to work at the subaru/VW dealeship in 15 st and Camelback and we took it to Camelback Mountain. Now thats a place to drive one of them scobbies, the awd makes tight turns so ****ing tight. So you see, the only reason you guys overestimate the wrx is because of..... the AWD.
I don't know why everyone keeps saying WRX's are so great on launch. Go drive one, I did. And I can say this - turbo lag sucks. A WRX gets fast when the boost kicks in, before then it's weak. They get up to 60 pretty fast, though. The thing to do when you're racing a WRX is to just keep going until they can't keep up anymore and hope they don't get a big lead on you before that happens.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: turbo WRX or turbo GSR?

i rather race a GSR, if that's an automatic, i maight have a chance, that car is not as fast as the WRX definitely!!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:06 PM

which means, dont race one on the road because youre not going 120 wihtout ending up doing something stupid.
Originally posted by Paradoxish

I don't know why everyone keeps saying WRX's are so great on launch. Go drive one, I did. And I can say this - turbo lag sucks. A WRX gets fast when the boost kicks in, before then it's weak. They get up to 60 pretty fast, though. The thing to do when you're racing a WRX is to just keep going until they can't keep up anymore and hope they don't get a big lead on you before that happens.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Re: turbo WRX or turbo GSR?

Originally posted by RickChan
i rather race a GSR, if that's an automatic, i maight have a chance, that car is not as fast as the WRX definitely!!

GSR only come in 5spd.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:06 PM

the dude got 14.3 with his WRX...
you guys think i can get 14.3 with an auto?
w/ just intake and pipe?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:26 PM

the dude got 14.3 with his WRX...
you guys think i can get 14.3 with an auto?
w/ just intake and pipe?

Sorry but no way. Even a 5spd Maxima with your mods will have a hard time getting that time, unless they are very good drivers. You will definitely need some nitrous to get that kind of time for you auto.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Paradoxish

After all, don't WRX's running mid 14's stock?
That will depend on the driver. Majority of them run VERY low 14's. A few basic mods in those cars and they are low 13's high 12's on a stock turbo. REX will need a new turbo if they wish to achieve low 12's to high 11's. (Sorry, I sit on the Scooby board a lot).

The REX pulls 1.9 60fts stock vs an VERY GOOD (Like Aaron or Matt) who can pull consistent 2.1 (modded of course). That right there is about 1.5 car lenthg if not more right on launch.