4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 PM

Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!

Common guys, it may sound odd, but I've had my K&N cone filter intake(shorty) for 1.5 years! This thing never made me happy. Then I've decided to put my stock back on!

It works a lot better then the aftermarket!!! Any ideas? Shouldn't then all these stupid cones be eliminated from being sold for such a high price and not give enjoyment (I'm not the first one).

Please, answer, maybe I'm wrong, but it feels better to have a stock back! What about CAI, I hope it'll work way better then the cone!

Mike A. (I've got an automatic)
Old 04-22-2002, 02:37 PM

what?????
I love my K&N and i also want a CAI. But i still love the sound and the power of the HAI.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Sin

Re: Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!

Originally posted by Mikesburn
Common guys, it may sound odd, but I've had my K&N cone filter intake(shorty) for 1.5 years! This thing never made me happy. Then I've decided to put my stock back on!

It works a lot better then the aftermarket!!! Any ideas? Shouldn't then all these stupid cones be eliminated from being sold for such a high price and not give enjoyment (I'm not the first one).

Please, answer, maybe I'm wrong, but it feels better to have a stock back! What about CAI, I hope it'll work way better then the cone!

How was the intake installed? What size filter? Did you have a velocity stack?

If you just go out and strap on a K&N cone filter, hell yah you will lose power. However, use a large one, with an appropriate velocity stack and you will definetly find gains. Most people get between 6-12 hp and ft. lbs of torque with a properly implemented K&N intake.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:35 PM

Re: Re: Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!

Originally posted by Sin

How was the intake installed? What size filter? Did you have a velocity stack?

If you just go out and strap on a K&N cone filter, hell yah you will lose power. However, use a large one, with an appropriate velocity stack and you will definetly find gains. Most people get between 6-12 hp and ft. lbs of torque with a properly implemented K&N intake.
See, maybe I didn't have someting right, although the civic racer, who sold it to me, saw me installing it.
I 've put the metal short adapter and put the filter on it, put the sensor inside of it and it was ok, but I feel my stock have nice low-end power anyways.

Is CAI will be better then my old Cone setup. Will it be better then stock? Would you feel significant difference? (I'm conserned about lowend power more then anything else).
Old 04-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You will feel your low end come back after putting back the airbox, but once you get to higher speeds, you'll feel sluggish and feel like the car doesn't pull as hard.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:43 PM

It is my understanding that the CAI gives more low end power than the POP. The pop supposedly has slightly more power at the end of the power band but this is debatable. Most auto's I know recommend the CAI for the low end power. Sticks can get away w/ the POP since they can launch at a higher rpm. I think the stock air box gives the best low end power, but it reaches its limit rather quickly. I currently have a Stillen POP and am waiting for my y pipe to arrive. I am going to drive it w/ POP and Y pipe and then with Stock and Y pipe and see which one feels better to my butt dyno. So you're getting a CAI?
Old 04-22-2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
It is my understanding that the CAI gives more low end power than the POP. The pop supposedly has slightly more power at the end of the power band but this is debatable. Most auto's I know recommend the CAI for the low end power. Sticks can get away w/ the POP since they can launch at a higher rpm. I think the stock air box gives the best low end power, but it reaches its limit rather quickly. I currently have a Stillen POP and am waiting for my y pipe to arrive. I am going to drive it w/ POP and Y pipe and then with Stock and Y pipe and see which one feels better to my butt dyno. So you're getting a CAI?
Thanx Clee130, that's exactly what I feel, but higher RPM's are still push me hard, sometimes better then Cone, sometimes a little weaker.

Toolrocks, maybe if I get CAI, I'll get this full power bandwith, but I'm really concerned about low-end, coz I drive in the streets a lot! And on the freeway it's enough what I have.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:09 PM

its been kinda hittin me lately that with all the restrictive things eliminated, it jus feels like the cars not as "solid " feeling. because i hear so much noise from exhaust, intake, its like more NOISE than MOVEMENT. dont know, it just doesnt equal out.
i feel like stock gives a much better low end performance because it was set up so well from factory.
maybe mods are all for running high end, except SC. low end torque is PRECIOUS
Old 04-22-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by sil SE
its been kinda hittin me lately that with all the restrictive things eliminated, it jus feels like the cars not as "solid " feeling. because i hear so much noise from exhaust, intake, its like more NOISE than MOVEMENT. dont know, it just doesnt equal out.
i feel like stock gives a much better low end performance because it was set up so well from factory.
maybe mods are all for running high end, except SC. low end torque is PRECIOUS
I think I agree with you! I'll leave stock, but install Y-pipe. You think this worht it or not?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Sin

I think I agree with you! I'll leave stock, but install Y-pipe. You think this worht it or not?
But the y-pipe is definetly a mid to high end gain upgrade, just like intakes. If you really want low end that much, with that much of a willingness to not have high end, stay stock, or get supercharged.

Intakes, y-pipes, turbochargers, chips, almost every power increasing mod I know of usually increases mid to high end power, not low end.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:54 PM

agreed, most modding will boost your mid to high. but- i think if you install that y pipe and take off your muffler, you may do better. im thinking about taking off the muffler on my car. however, the Y works better w/ an intake of some sort. the stock muffler will supply some good low end backpressure with its baffle, i believe, and then open up just in time for the Y to have its effect.
i might be wrong, someone tell me
Old 04-22-2002, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by sil SE
agreed, most modding will boost your mid to high. but- i think if you install that y pipe and take off your muffler, you may do better. im thinking about taking off the muffler on my car. however, the Y works better w/ an intake of some sort. the stock muffler will supply some good low end backpressure with its baffle, i believe, and then open up just in time for the Y to have its effect.
i might be wrong, someone tell me
Sin and SE, I really apreciate answers, and I agree with some sort. What do you think of my combo: Stock intake, y-pipe, Megaflow muffler which I still have.
I know Sin, you advised to take of my muffler, but what if I leave it, but still use y-pipe? Is it gonna work? Stock intake will give me this pleasure on the freeway of pushing JUST A LTTLE bit and y-pipe will add some pull. Do you really think I should use CAI?
Old 04-22-2002, 11:00 PM
supertool

You are right.

I got the JWT intake a week ago, and low end is suffering.
I think also the battery, the strut mount and intake itself is blocking airflow into the filter. I wonder if moving the battery would help.
I might go back to stock. Haven't decided yet.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by clee130
You will feel your low end come back after putting back the airbox, but once you get to higher speeds, you'll feel sluggish and feel like the car doesn't pull as hard.
ditto
Old 04-22-2002, 11:33 PM

ok....WAY too many BUTT DYNO claims in one thread!!! olice:

Here's the facts:

The fastest 1/4 mile maximas all run pop-chargers.

The pop intake isn't as much of a HOT AIR intake as you think....once you get moving...it gets plenty of nice cool air.

BUTT DYNOS TELL YOU NOTHING...and they are a waste of time..

Everything else is just opinion and speculation. Do what YOU want to do...not what other people tell you to do.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:15 AM
supertool

Maybe it's an auto thing.

Maybe the low end loss is more noticeable with an auto.
But before it took a tap to get the tires chirping, but with jwt, I have to push it more. It is faster on the hiway though.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:58 AM

On the issue of backpressure = always bad this has been discussed time and again
On issue of low end loss from popcharger - I notice significant improvement with my JWT Pop. Yes more mid and high gain. Yes it feels like there is a lag, but I think this is only perception (never seen why more air = less performance at any rpm

good luck
Old 04-23-2002, 05:24 AM

stock feels faster because it's quieter.

but trust me, unless you got some fist sized ghetto pop air, pop air is faster than stock.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:41 AM

situation varies

How you are driving is the difference. Quoting from BriGuyMax:

"ok....WAY too many BUTT DYNO claims in one thread!!! olice:
Here's the facts:
The fastest 1/4 mile maximas all run pop-chargers.
The pop intake isn't as much of a HOT AIR intake as you think....once you get moving...it gets plenty of nice cool air.
BUTT DYNOS TELL YOU NOTHING...and they are a waste of time..
Everything else is just opinion and speculation. Do what YOU want to do...not what other people tell you to do."

Now, if you are not doing WOT racing, but rather, regular street driving, stoping at lights and stop signs, your engine is not going to get "plenty of nice cool air" if you do not have a cold air induction system. Especially if it is hot outside like it is where I live in Florida. The stock air box does provide cooler air from outside the engine compartment. This is probably why the stock sytem seems,for some people, to do better than the cone intakes.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!

I agree with you. For me, buying a JWT intake was a waste of money.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:20 AM

Then you will LOVE the CAI.

DW

Thanx Clee130, that's exactly what I feel, but higher RPM's are still push me hard, sometimes better then Cone, sometimes a little weaker.

Toolrocks, maybe if I get CAI, I'll get this full power bandwith, but I'm really concerned about low-end, coz I drive in the streets a lot! And on the freeway it's enough what I have.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:22 AM
SLOW

Are you guys actually modifying your vehicles for around town driving? Why would you spend money on a "power mod" if you are never going to use it? What a waste. Modifying a car is a tradeoff guys, if you modify your car for more performance you are going to lose some driveability. If you are going to waste money modifying a car and never use the additional power you give it, why not just drop your compression, install a turbo kit, and drive it around town never going WOT. This is the same thing, taken to the extreme, as you guys are talking about. Its all quite rediculous to me.

Its been said before, and I'll say it again. The fastest maximas have JWT POP Chargers. If you have no interest in making your car faster, don't waste your money on one. Simple as that.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:44 AM

good answer.

Nealoc187, I agree with you. Decide what you want before you do a mod. I did not put a cone filter in because I knew it would not meet my needs. I went with a K&N drop in filter. It kept the street drivability the same, gave me a little increase in power, and improved my gas milege.

Old 04-23-2002, 06:48 AM

It's not that we modify for around town driving, but the fact is, 90% of what every Maxima does is drive around town. It may be a 4 door sports car, but it's also a 4 door sedan. I'm sure you don't just jump in your car, strap on your 6 point harness, and run the 1/4 mile . . . .e v e r y day

The CAI boost the perfromance of the maxima without hurting around town drivability . . .low end torque. I went from sotck to CAI and felt no loss in low end and an appreciable gain all over. At the extremes, like above 100 mph in 4th or 5th gear, it does leave me wanting, but I don't spend a majority of my time driving up there. Well, as much as I'd like to anyway The CAI may not increase performance as much as the POP, but it's a much more well rounded mod.

DW

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Are you guys actually modifying your vehicles for around town driving? Why would you spend money on a "power mod" if you are never going to use it? What a waste. Modifying a car is a tradeoff guys, if you modify your car for more performance you are going to lose some driveability. If you are going to waste money modifying a car and never use the additional power you give it, why not just drop your compression, install a turbo kit, and drive it around town never going WOT. This is the same thing, taken to the extreme, as you guys are talking about. Its all quite rediculous to me.

Its been said before, and I'll say it again. The fastest maximas have JWT POP Chargers. If you have no interest in making your car faster, don't waste your money on one. Simple as that.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:56 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by dwapenyi
It's not that we modify for around town driving, but the fact is, 90% of what every Maxima does is drive around town. It may be a 4 door sports car, but it's also a 4 door sedan. I'm sure you don't just jump in your car, strap on your 6 point harness, and run the 1/4 mile . . . .e v e r y day

The CAI boost the perfromance of the maxima without hurting around town drivability . . .low end torque. I went from sotck to CAI and felt no loss in low end and an appreciable gain all over. At the extremes, like above 100 mph in 4th or 5th gear, it does leave me wanting, but I don't spend a majority of my time driving up there. Well, as much as I'd like to anyway The CAI may not increase performance as much as the POP, but it's a much more well rounded mod.

DW

I guess we think differently about modifying cars. I deliver pizza in Michigan (worst roads in the country) and drive 35,000 miles a year, all city driving. And yet as I modify my car it gets less and less streetable. But I don't care, its like I tell every girl who gets in my car and wonders why the hell it rides so harshly (thanks ground control haha) the decreased ride quality and driveability sucks on the road, but its all worth it when I'm at the track. I guess I'm just that fanatical about performance, that I gladly deal with the daily annoyance of all this crap on my car. I think I need a dedicated race car and a stock road car(well, maybe not STOCK, lets not get THAT extreme)
Old 04-23-2002, 07:08 AM

Stock intake will never be better than your JWT pop, the stock intake is just too restrictive. Your booty dyno proves only one thing, it's unreliable. Every booty dyno will produce different results with different people in different Maximas. There are too many variables to accurately say "stock is better than jwt due to my butt dyno" I love my JWT pop, the sound and the power, especially since I have a y. Remember if you get a y-pipe you will not feel the right amount of mid to high end gain unless you add some sort of less restrictive intake.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've run both a modified stock intake (OSCAI) and a POP intake. I've dynoed both too. On the dyno both the POP and OSCAI make the SAME power from 2200-5400rpms. No difference in measurable power...period. There is no real difference in torque (the POP actually makes a little more in the low rpms). HOWEVER, after 5400rpms is where the POP easily out performs the OSCAI. The POP makes a little more power to 5500rpms and then the power slowly drops off until 6100rpms then drops like an anvil. The OSCAI makes peak power at 5400rpms, but power starts to fall off quickly (much faster than the POP). What this means is that you've got to shift earlier with the OSCAI therefore reducing topend pull. When we talk "topend", we're not talking about speed, we're talking about higher useable rpms. The higher the useable rpms, the more powerful the car will be at any speed.

Dave
Old 04-23-2002, 07:58 AM

Ha! You should meet this guy I knew. He had a Miata all decked out for auto-x. 6 point harness and everything. It was his daily driver. Toughest suspension I have ever felt. That thing cornered like nothing I've driven. It would have been my 1st choice as an auto-X car, but for daily open topped fun?? Nuh-uh. When you drove over a pebble you felt every indentation. Normal bumps had you checking your dental work afterwards. No way.

I do like performance, to an extent, that's why I got H&Rs instead of Eibach's.

I'll admitt though, the the POP is probably better suited to a 5 speed max, but the auto feels the low end loss of the POP more.

Since Mikesburn is really concerned about low end, and the extreme high end is not his top priority, that's why I recommend the CAI.

By the way, MikesBurn, the CAI is powered by BOSE
DW

I guess we think differently about modifying cars. I deliver pizza in Michigan (worst roads in the country) and drive 35,000 miles a year, all city driving. And yet as I modify my car it gets less and less streetable. But I don't care, its like I tell every girl who gets in my car and wonders why the hell it rides so harshly (thanks ground control haha) the decreased ride quality and driveability sucks on the road, but its all worth it when I'm at the track. I guess I'm just that fanatical about performance, that I gladly deal with the daily annoyance of all this crap on my car. I think I need a dedicated race car and a stock road car(well, maybe not STOCK, lets not get THAT extreme)
Old 04-23-2002, 08:23 AM

too much reading for me to follow this post anymore but im just going to repeat, if you want a y pipe to work best, you should get some sort of intake and leave it there. i think i would get rid of the muffler from the equation. which is what i might do soon. it might help your overall goal a little.
as for the everyday driving thing, ull have less noise, and im sure i felt more low end drop when i got the muffler than when i got the POP, plus im 5 speed but still.. good luck
Old 04-26-2002, 01:05 PM

Wow. I really appreciate all your answers. You all seem to know much about what I've asked about. It's not I DON"T like POP, but just stock feels more precise, especially when you start from the Stop sign or drive in the streets. The fereeway - well, it's still PULLING HARD, maybe POP is giving a little more, but I'd never substitute enjoyable low-end power by the high-end, which I use only on the freeway, and when there are no cops.
Untill we all get superchargers, it'll always eat our minds: What else, what else, what else, to make the car go like we want. Thanx to all.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:26 PM
JsL

I was just wondering, when you guys dyno, do you leave your hood open? I think that is a major factor in the results.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by JsL
I was just wondering, when you guys dyno, do you leave your hood open? I think that is a major factor in the results.
Hood is open. Dynoing with the hood closed is rather dangerous because the most of the fans the shops use can't match the amount of air that would be flowing in and under the car at WOT at ~40-125mph. It's already been shown that the POP intakes have nearly the same intake charge as the CAI once the car is rolling and air is circulating.

Dave
Old 04-26-2002, 03:16 PM

where are all the 14 second maximas that use a stock airbox ??? anybody??
Old 04-26-2002, 09:33 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by theblue
Me, VeeTec and Sin, all ran 14s with stock airbox

Still, JWT Pop makes more power than stock, without a doubt.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:40 PM

I beleive you, JWT is good, But did you feel any low-end loss with it, like with a regular cone???
Old 04-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by theblue
I ran a 14.79@93.93mph with the OSCAI. Of course with a HKS intake, UDP, and different Y-pipe I'm now getting 96mph+ trap speeds

Dave
Old 04-27-2002, 09:32 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by Dave B

I ran a 14.79@93.93mph with the OSCAI. Of course with a HKS intake, UDP, and different Y-pipe I'm now getting 96mph+ trap speeds

Dave
I've never seen the HKS intake for the maxima, what style is it? CAI or POP Charger style. You are the only other basic bolt on Max I've seen times posted for that traps as high as myself and Max7 (Szymon, 96.62mph).
Old 04-27-2002, 10:51 AM

I've never seen the HKS intake for the maxima, what style is it? CAI or POP Charger style. You are the only other basic bolt on Max I've seen times posted for that traps as high as myself and Max7 (Szymon, 96.62mph).
I've seen an HKS on Maxima and it looks like GREEN Half-a-ball sponge.
It's a little more expensive. Looks really cool. It's a POP charger type.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:07 AM
Sin

Is it that rare? Running a 14.8 is no big deal for me. I almost never run the 1/4 in more then 15. Nine times out of ten, I run 14.8 something. If conditions aren't good, or I don't get a good launch with the VERY low grip stock Toyo's, I'll run high 14.9.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:25 PM

Those cone intake with upper tube cai is still considered as a pop or CAI?
just wondering.

Quick Reply: Stock Intake is BETTER then the CONE!