4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I bother with a Clutch yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should I bother with a Clutch yet ??

I need peoples oppinions about if I should do my clutch now with an ACT or wait and do the ACT down the road >>> Under normal driving my clutch acts fine but when I get on it, between shifts, it does slip and when I have people in the car is slipps alot...My pedal feels like a feather compaired to my buddys 95 spd...when I try to cherp them even in the rain all I get is clutch spin..I drove my buddys car, 95se 5spd, and the stock clutch with 97K on it feels more solid then my 30K miles old peice of crap clutch that the guys put in before me...My other question is, in my case would I be loosing HP during normal driving conditions and when I get on it, In other words is the clutch slipping alittle bit without me even knowing it ??

Thanks
-Matt
Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 PM
rmb

Re: Should I bother with a Clutch yet ??

Originally posted by matty
I need peoples oppinions about if I should do my clutch now with an ACT or wait and do the ACT down the road >>> Under normal driving my clutch acts fine but when I get on it, between shifts, it does slip and when I have people in the car is slipps alot...My pedal feels like a feather compaired to my buddys 95 spd...when I try to cherp them even in the rain all I get is clutch spin..I drove my buddys car, 95se 5spd, and the stock clutch with 97K on it feels more solid then my 30K miles old peice of crap clutch that the guys put in before me...My other question is, in my case would I be loosing HP during normal driving conditions and when I get on it, In other words is the clutch slipping alittle bit without me even knowing it ??

Thanks
-Matt
Real simple.....

If your clutch is slipping at all, esp. like you describe it needs to be replaced...

Now, I'd go for a OEM clutch. I've got 80k on mine and it's not slipping at all yet. I'm not drag racing, but it hasn't had the easiest of lives either.... Close to 100k is damn good in my opinion.

If your previous clutch only got 30k out of it.... 1) You drive like an idiot... or.... 2) It wasn't installed correctly 3) You're putting 300hp to the front wheels I'd bet on #2.....

So I'd say if you don't have some kind of killer HP gains, go with OEM, it works great...

-RMB
Old 04-29-2002, 06:37 PM

Nah the reason its slipping alittle is becuase its a weak clutch...

-Matt
Old 04-29-2002, 08:43 PM

I'm getting this same problem, when I really lay into it and try to shift fast I drop about 1000-1500 RPM's before it grabs. I can't even come close to chirping second. I was wondering how much more time I have?

Also has anyone dealt with the JWT Satge I clutch? Is it good quality? I'm also goona put in Nitrous and need to know if it will be able to handle it.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 04-30-2002, 10:33 AM

NO NO NO go with the HD-MM (heavy duty PP, MM Organic Disc) from ACT...Its the street setup that many .org's have and love it...How many miles are on your stock clutch ?? The guy before me put in a crappy a** clutch so Im doing it by the end of May..>I ordered my ACT from the Groupbuy center...deal ends May 7th. $327.00 + shipping...Do the clutch your probably losing HP through the power range just like me

Old 04-30-2002, 11:24 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah I'd do it now.

I had a clutch start to slip on my old Stanza, and I decided to wait until it got pretty bad. Well, one weekend I took a trip through a hilly region that I didn't know was there..and I had to go 20mph up these hills in a 65mph zone just so the clutch wouldn't slip. People were not happy with me.

I wouldn't put myself at risk of being in that situation again.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by matty
NO NO NO go with the HD-MM (heavy duty PP, MM Organic Disc) from ACT...Its the street setup that many .org's have and love it...How many miles are on your stock clutch ?? The guy before me put in a crappy a** clutch so Im doing it by the end of May..>I ordered my ACT from the Groupbuy center...deal ends May 7th. $327.00 + shipping...Do the clutch your probably losing HP through the power range just like me

I bought the car used and the guy said it was put in at 78,000 miles and now the car has 115500 miles on it. Which leads me to believe that is was a bad clutch to begin with or an OEM one that wasn't broken in correctly. I realy have no money right now so hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Adam
Old 04-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just fragmented my clutch. Apparently its started with someone simple and cheap wrong with the hydraulics. The pedal stuck in--clutch on, I rolled it into 2nd to drive it home. Started getting some response from the clutch using the pedal. Got it to a shop the next morning. Hydraulics are shot, right side of the clutch melted and fragmented. Big phat oops--$1400 worth of potential mods is now invested in another OEM clutch assembly. Screw me in the goat *ss.