4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hot then COLD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hot then COLD

This morning my maxima was at proper operating temp. when I turned on the heat at 85 degrees. The air came out hot for the first few seconds then got cold??? Could this be a sign of trouble with the heater core?? Today was the first time this happened.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the obvious first.

Coolant level ??

Thermostat - Does your temp gauge go up and down or stay steady?

Heater hoses kinked? Have you done anything under the hood lately?

I believe there is a heater core water valve, this may be sticking partially closed, not letting enough water flow through your heater core.

Do you have auto climate control or manual?

A good cooling system flush, including the heater core could get things flowing nicely again.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check the obvious first.

Coolant level ??

I believe there is a heater core water valve, this may be sticking partially closed, not letting enough water flow through your heater core.

A good cooling system flush, including the heater core could get things flowing nicely again.
Coolant level ??

Coolant level is fine.

Thermostat stays steady in the middle, after warming up of course.

I'll look into that.

I have a automatic climate control.

Now I have to price that procedure, my car only has 58,000 miles 96 gle. Thanx for the response

Old 04-30-2002, 11:29 PM

Wait...... Thermostat?

My needle gauge during warm-up goes up and down erratically whenever I am driving it in the first 15 minutes or so.

I usually warm up my car for about 5-10 minutes before driving it, and it is usually at about just a needle above the "C". Then, when I start driving it, it sometimes goes up and down when there is a strong wind or bump in the road (or sometimes nothing at all).

However, once it's fully warmed up, it's fine. The needle will stay there nonetheless. How do you check up the thermostat?

Thanks!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check the obvious first.

Coolant level ??

Old 05-01-2002, 06:13 AM

Problem Solved

First, thanks for all your help

I was driving in the city yesterday when my temp needle 3 quarters of the way up. I was like WTF??? So I pulled over and I had no coolant. ARGH! so I bought some distilled water and poured it in both the resevour and directly through the radiator cap. The radiator was empty. A soon As I got back to Brooklyn I bought some water wetter and poured that it. All my problems are gone. I'm so happy now.

The reason I had no coolant, I have a leak in one of the hoses. I will replace that hose this summer sometime. It only leaks under hard acceleration.

Again thanks for all your help.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by ardika
Wait...... Thermostat?

My needle gauge during warm-up goes up and down erratically whenever I am driving it in the first 15 minutes or so.

I usually warm up my car for about 5-10 minutes before driving it, and it is usually at about just a needle above the "C". Then, when I start driving it, it sometimes goes up and down when there is a strong wind or bump in the road (or sometimes nothing at all).

However, once it's fully warmed up, it's fine. The needle will stay there nonetheless. How do you check up the thermostat?

Thanks!

Do you still have an erratic Temp Gauge? What was the cause?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:09 AM

I still don't know....

....and I am fine with it as long as the car is running fine. Do you have the problem too?

Originally posted by maxwillden

Do you still have an erratic Temp Gauge? What was the cause?