4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alteeza signaling problem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 09:33 PM

Alteeza signaling problem solved!

A while back I had made a post about how us Maxima owners who have Alteezas installed on their cars have problems from other drivers seeing our turn signaling, especially during the day. The outer lamps share two bulbs in one housing making it very difficult to see the signal bulb flashing, especially while the brake lamp is on at the same time. Well, I remedied this type of problem by getting an idea from certain BMW's. I had noticed on some BMW's that their braking lamps are illuminated on the "inside" part of their trunks, leaving the "outer" ones for "parking lights" and "turn signaling". Well, since our rear lamps are somewhat made the same way, I wired the Alteezas using this process. What I did was buy a two wire harness (for a 1157 bulb) at a local auto parts store and wired this to the turn signal socket. This way, I have a two-element bulb where the one element illuminates when the parking lights are switched on, and when signaling, the other element (the brighter one) illumunates. In otherwords, it's like the turn signal lamp serving as two functions instead of one. It illuminates as well as flash when the parking lights are on. Now, with the "brake lamp" , I just cut the wire that illuminates when braking, and tapped the positive turn signal wire to it. Here, the lamp acts the same way as the turn signal lamp--they both flash at the same time, making the lens more brighter when signaling. This also illuminates the lamp much brighter at night. Recently, I haven't any problems yet from other drivers not "seeing" my car while braking, since now I only have the inner lamps for braking purposes, along with my 3rd brake lamp. Hopefully, I don't get pulled over from some cop, either. But when inspection time comes, I'm going to wire the lamps back to stock to be on the safe side. My fellow Maxima members, do you think I'm safe running my tails like this, or should I stick to stock. To me, I think now people can actually see me "signaling" when signaling. What do you guys think?