4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

dash rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dash rattle

Ihave developed a very annoying rattle on the passenger side dash of my 99 max. It is not the glove box. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a fix?
Old 05-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Could be the intersection of the dash and the A-pillar trim. Try stuffing something between them. I ended up putting foam between the dash and the A-pillars on both sides of my car.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: dash rattle

Originally posted by 2maxowner
Ihave developed a very annoying rattle on the passenger side dash of my 99 max. It is not the glove box. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a fix?
My Max had a symphony of rattles from the passenger side. It took several tries to completely silence the dash. It was all trial and error because at that time I didn't know what was causing the rattles.

1. A-pillar trim rubbing against dashboard. This is the most obvious since its the most talked about here. Fix: wedged foam between A-pillar trim and dashboard. It eliminated the rattles from there but still persisted.

2. Dashboard vents (passenger side and right window defroster vent) I took out the glovebox and wedged various pieces of foam around the vent tubes. Even more rattles disappeared but still there was this one I couldn't find.

3. Final rattle: After about 30min of moving my hand around underneath the dashboard (and getting various cuts on my arm ) I was able to isolate my last dashboard rattle. Cause? The Dashboard alignment "pin". This stubby "pin" is located underneath the dashboard near the corner. This pin ensures proper fitment of the dashboard during assembly. It inserts into the bulkhead/firewall. I pressed on the pin to try and duplicate the sound and sure enough it was the exact sound. Well there is enough room for the pin to move around, causing clack clack CLACK rattles when I drive on washboard surfaces. I used clear silicone and applied liberally with my fingers. After waiting 24hrs I took the car out for a drive and it is silent. The rattes are a thing of the past.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:46 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: dash rattle

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

3. Final rattle: After about 30min of moving my hand around underneath the dashboard (and getting various cuts on my arm ) I was able to isolate my last dashboard rattle. Cause? The Dashboard alignment "pin". This stubby "pin" is located underneath the dashboard near the corner. This pin ensures proper fitment of the dashboard during assembly. It inserts into the bulkhead/firewall. I pressed on the pin to try and duplicate the sound and sure enough it was the exact sound. Well there is enough room for the pin to move around, causing clack clack CLACK rattles when I drive on washboard surfaces. I used clear silicone and applied liberally with my fingers. After waiting 24hrs I took the car out for a drive and it is silent. The rattes are a thing of the past.
Could you be a little more specific about how to find this pin?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: dash rattle

Originally posted by mzmtg

Could you be a little more specific about how to find this pin?
If you look at the dashboard from the top it is near the NE corner.

Do this on a bright day.

Take out glovebox.
Take out A-pillar trim (this will let more light into the gap between the side of the dashboard and the a-pillar windshield frame.
Move passenger seat all the way back.

This is all from memory but once you start looking around you will know what to look for.

You'll have to do a contortionist move- somehow position your mid back on the edge of the passenger seat bottom (your head will be on the nice and clean floor mat). Have a long flashlight handy (a snakelight is best) and shine light at the areas near where the dashboard would meet the firewall. You will see a horizontal ridge on the firewall. If you look at the ridge around near that NE corner you should be able to locate a metal tab from the firewall where the dashboard's pin is clipped in.

Here, I tried to doodle something that sort of resembles what you should look for:

If there is "play" when you push the pin then silicone it.