4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 08:58 PM

Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Just wondering how a V2 with a y-pipe and CAI would compare to a new WRX, although I bet it'll kick our asses once you you throw the two into corners.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:22 PM

a max with a V2 would be in the mid to high 13s and stock WRX runs mid to low 14s.....you do the math...
Old 05-02-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by Tbonephile
Just wondering how a V2 with a y-pipe and CAI would compare to a new WRX, although I bet it'll kick our asses once you you throw the two into corners.
some 5sp NA maxes here say they can take the wrx
Old 05-02-2002, 10:06 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by MaximaPower

some 5sp NA maxes here say they can take the wrx
I've taken stock WRXs from a roll numerous times. They trap at 92-93mph. I trap alot higher than that.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by Tbonephile

no way - the maxima with a V2 will butt rape the wrx, when it comes to handling........ that might be a lil problem.......but u gotta remember that these cars are in two totally different categories
Old 05-02-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

no way - the maxima with a V2 will butt rape the wrx, when it comes to handling........ that might be a lil problem.......but u gotta remember that these cars are in two totally different categories
actually, a lot of magazines have been saying that it doesn't handle that well i bet a max that was lowered with agxs and rsb and fstb would out handle it... also i hear that they don't have very much top end (example is the low trap speeds.)
Old 05-02-2002, 10:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
actually, a lot of magazines have been saying that it doesn't handle that well i bet a max that was lowered with agxs and rsb and fstb would out handle it... also i hear that they don't have very much top end (example is the low trap speeds.)
Aren't they governed as well?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Have any SCed cars raced a WRX?

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE

Aren't they governed as well?
everywhere i've seen is listed at like 140 so i'm gonna say no.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A slightly modded (chip ONLY) WRX runs low 13's.
From a stop, if the WRX does a 4-5000 rpm clutch drop, bye-bye Maxima! Their 60 ft times are 1.6-1.8 seconds. The beauty of All-Wheel-Drive.

FWD Maxima with 300hp at the crank can not beat a chipped WRX.

No '02 WRX with any mods, even as basic as chip & exhaust, will provide reliability. They are notorious for numerous things:
1) Check Engine Lights
2) Bad Clutch
3) Bad...VERY bad tranny (broken syncros &
4) Cylinder misfires
...the list goes on! The
Impreza forums has a seperate section on "Warranty Issues & SOA Problems" AND
"Transmission (AT/MT)". We do not have that in Maxima.org

If your V2 Maxima gives you problems, it is due to Stillen or Vortec or the moron that installed your SC kit. Nissan builds sound cars!
Old 05-03-2002, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have personal experience with this. Last weekend my friend with his WRX (stock) and my 97 SE Auto with Y-pipe, CAI, and RT cat.
He had two people (1 guy, 1 girl), lets say 280lbs or less, their both thin. I had four people(2 guys, 2 girls), lets say 550-600lbs.

We started at about 70mph. I jumped ahead about 1/2 a car length, he downshifted to third but then he was close to his top end, so he had to shift right away again to fourth. He slowly started catching up until about 100-110mph, and then he passed me pretty quick. I got up to about 125mph, and he said he got up to around 135mph.

I knew he would win, but we were both surprised how well I stayed with him till 100mph. He didn't expect that especially since I had four people. Off the line, it wouldn't even be close.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
I have personal experience with this. Last weekend my friend with his WRX (stock) and my 97 SE Auto with Y-pipe, CAI, and RT cat.
He had two people (1 guy, 1 girl), lets say 280lbs or less, their both thin. I had four people(2 guys, 2 girls), lets say 550-600lbs.
Why would you race with four people in your car when he only had two...? And besides, if that's the case then you probably could've kept right up with him if you both had nobody else in the car other than yourselves. 600lbs makes a hell of a lot of difference...
Old 05-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Not all races are that serious that you care about the passengers weights ya na mean??

I was gonna say maybe the blower on the T is too small so the high end blows, but after reading the high end part of the race from above I take it back.

And really, how well can it handle stock? It is a subaru. All wheel drive helps alot but its still gotta have some lean in the corners.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by dashingMax
From a stop, if the WRX does a 4-5000 rpm clutch drop, bye-bye Maxima! Their 60 ft times are 1.6-1.8 seconds. The beauty of All-Wheel-Drive.

No '02 WRX with any mods, even as basic as chip & exhaust, will provide reliability. They are notorious for numerous things:
1) Check Engine Lights
2) Bad Clutch
4) Cylinder misfires
...the list goes on! The

If your V2 Maxima gives you problems, it is due to Stillen or Vortec or the moron that installed your SC kit. Nissan builds sound cars!
1. chips dont make low 13s
2. CEL is becuase the ecu is not the same as every other car
3. bad tranny= bad driver... anyone who does 4-5000 rpm clutch drops are not going to get a good 60 foot
4. clutch goes becuase you have to slip it at 4 till near redline to perform the not so easy luanches that everyone thinks is just rev.. drop and away you go..
5. dont try to tell me sc maxima dont detonate... only reason our detonation is so even a factor is all the tuners of the chips want perfection and put mics in the engine bays that can hear a fly on the other side of the world

quick cars... doesn't feel like it outhandles my old max but i got the wagon and that add some weight to the back... tires are really crappy compared to the max with some kumho supras though

and whats wrong with having a forum for tranny and warranties? last time i checked the maxima tranny wasnt the best in the world either...
Old 05-03-2002, 05:38 PM

Right...

Well of course a max with a full selection of aftermarket parts will beat a stock WRX in the handling department.

On the otherhand, if you lowered both equally, and put springs and tires and such of equal quality on each car, then you still have a WRX that will outhandle the max... hands down. Comparing stock to aftermarket isn't really a fair deal if you're gunna insult the stock car.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by 1997 Maxima SE

5. dont try to tell me sc maxima dont detonate... only reason our detonation is so even a factor is all the tuners of the chips want perfection and put mics in the engine bays that can hear a fly on the other side of the world
and whats wrong with having a forum for tranny and warranties? last time i checked the maxima tranny wasnt the best in the world either...

This is new's to me mics in the engine bay?For what may i ask? I thought that the Knock sensor was responsible for reporting detonation.But then again i really don't know much about Engine's.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:17 PM

If your V2 Maxima gives you problems, it is due to Stillen

I disagree with this comment stillen has nothing to do with a bad blower they just make a good kit thats it. Your talking about the plastic pullies and they never melted on me, I am going to have to say that the melting of the pullies is due to overtigtening the belt too tight

or Vortec or the moron that installed your SC kit. Nissan builds sound cars! [/B][/QUOTE]

Vortec blower may go bad like deacs and hes just having a hard time since he doesnt know how to remove it. If he removed the blower and send it back to vortec that would be a different story, guy has to pay to get it off and put it back on.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:21 PM

My tuner took one out when my car was running just 4 psi. ... that was some months ago now.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by dashingMax

1) Check Engine Lights
2) Bad Clutch
4) Cylinder misfires
...the list goes on! The

You forgot to mention shi**y wafflemaker intercooler setup. Don't get me wrong, I like that ram air hood look, but after popping the hood at the Subaru dealership, I was cracking up at the site of the wafflemaker size intercooler. Granted, a smaller core will cool air faster, but not as much air mass as it should.

I've heard turbo's crappin out on those WRXs already. Only beauty going for it is AWD.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by avalon42

You forgot to mention shi**y wafflemaker intercooler setup.

I've heard turbo's crappin out on those WRXs already. Only beauty going for it is AWD.
innercooler is bigger than most aftermarkets... just becuase it doesnt cover the front of the car up doesnt mean that it isn't 2 inches thick while the run of the mill ones that you think are so big are only about an inch thick

turbo's dont crap out on us... 99% of turbo replacments are for bigger/better turbos

rather have a top mount than a front mount... a little front end collision can set you back an easy 1000 bucks on top of the bumper/lights damage...

mic is put in becuase the knock sensors dont pick up everything... a mic magnitized 100 times is alot better than a knock sensor
Old 05-04-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Paradoxish

Why would you race with four people in your car when he only had two...? And besides, if that's the case then you probably could've kept right up with him if you both had nobody else in the car other than yourselves. 600lbs makes a hell of a lot of difference...
We were on our way to Atlantic City, and we just decide to have a friendly race. It wasn't anything serious, I was just curious how the maxima would hang with the WRX.