4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does the maxima body really flex that much as to need a fstb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

does the maxima body really flex that much as to need a fstb?

I don't get how the fstb helps that much, I mean its not connecting suspension component just structural elements. Unless of course the body/frame flexes that much around turns...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:12 PM

yeh i was wondering the same thing
Old 05-05-2002, 09:33 PM

i have one

Originally posted by iregula
yeh i was wondering the same thing
you can tell its onthere, great mod for the buck, check ebay for them, they are like 20 bucks. i highly reccommend one.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:37 PM

Well, all I can say is that I've got mine in now and I like it. There's a noticeable difference (although I'm sure the RSB gives an even better feel). They're cheap on Ebay - buy one and find out for yourself.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:41 PM
starcruzer

Re: i have one

Do the ones on e-bay for $20 work as well as the more expensive brand names? Why are they so cheap?

Originally posted by Justin95SE

you can tell its onthere, great mod for the buck, check ebay for them, they are like 20 bucks. i highly reccommend one.

Old 05-05-2002, 09:45 PM

Re: Re: i have one

Originally posted by starcruzer
Do the ones on e-bay for $20 work as well as the more expensive brand names? Why are they so cheap?
This has been asked a whole lot - a FSTB is a FSTB is a FSTB. The ones on Ebay should work fine. The one I'm using was bought off of my friend for $15 after he bought it off of Ebay for $35 a year ago and it feels fine.

Get the more expensive ones if you like the way they look, get the ones off of Ebay if all you care about is the benefit you'll get. You should get the same improvement from any FSTB you buy...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:45 PM

Oh, I've already got one. Bought from StealthMax. It sure does work though, im just wonderin why. RSB.... that must be next for me, any suggestion?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
It sure does work though, im just wonderin why.
I can't say for sure, but shouldn't ANY increase in structural rigidity increase a car's handling? I think that's all the FSTB does... tightens up the front end of the car so there's less flex on turns and because of that it works whether or not the car normally flexes a lot or not (since even if it doesn't it's still tightening the front end up so it does so even less).
Old 05-05-2002, 09:51 PM

Here we go courtesy of Albertt.
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/St...bar_theory.htm
Originally referenced from front Strut bar what exactly does it do?

I thought the FSTB helped a lot in terms of wheel hop since the front suspension is tied together.
Could just be me
-hype
Old 05-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I have one and it seems like I can take turn at higher speeds. I haven't install my spring and shocks yet and I can notice the difference already. Its a good mod, they're cheap I got a good looking for $50.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Yes, it does and yes it helps a good deal.. A Strut bar is a common modification for most cars.. this is almost like an Intake or an exhaust..

The strut towers "move" up and down, when you go over a bump, the car hops, your strut towers contract as the mass of the car kind of drops on top of them.. When you are driving spirited and take a turn, the mass of the car shifts to the side, so on a hard right turn, the left side of the car would take lean down from the mass shifting over to it.. However, with a strut tower, the left tower is held to the right one..
At least thats how I understand it..

It's like if you stand on one leg, you can be pushed down a lot easier then if you were standing on two legs.. same principle

FSTB = cheap, worthy investment.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:23 PM

one word: YES.

Maximas flex like crazy especially if your in 4x4 mode.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:10 AM
rmb

Re: does the maxima body really flex that much as to need a fstb?

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
I don't get how the fstb helps that much, I mean its not connecting suspension component just structural elements. Unless of course the body/frame flexes that much around turns...
By stiffening the frame you are in fact connecting suspension components. The FSTB holds camber a bit more in check.

In any case they really work well on Max's... The RSTB (rear-stabilizer-bar, not RSB) is useless on the Max IMO since the rear is already stiff enough.

-RMB
Old 05-06-2002, 09:59 AM

The FSTB does not affect up and down movement of your front suspension. It only affects the side movements.

Picture this: you take a hard left turn. What's your suspension doing? Your right front strut is taking most of the brute force of the turn. Because of this, and the fact that the body is not completely rigid, the right front strut will bend a little outwards, to the right, changing your camber(or toe?). Now, without the FSTB, the left front strut, which is not really feeling anything in this hard left turn, doens't flex much. So, the left strut stays the same, but the right struts bends out a little. That's what causes your steering to feel a little strange. With the FSTB, the movement of the right strut will also move the left strut. Result, they move together, relative camber (or toe) stays the same, and your steering feel will be more linear.

HTH

DW
Old 05-06-2002, 10:43 AM
rmb

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The FSTB does not affect up and down movement of your front suspension. It only affects the side movements.

Picture this: you take a hard left turn. What's your suspension doing? Your right front strut is taking most of the brute force of the turn. Because of this, and the fact that the body is not completely rigid, the right front strut will bend a little outwards, to the right, changing your camber(or toe?). Now, without the FSTB, the left front strut, which is not really feeling anything in this hard left turn, doens't flex much. So, the left strut stays the same, but the right struts bends out a little. That's what causes your steering to feel a little strange. With the FSTB, the movement of the right strut will also move the left strut. Result, they move together, relative camber (or toe) stays the same, and your steering feel will be more linear.

HTH

DW

sort of... but the the fstb actually helps to reduce the camber change by simply stiffening the front end across the strut towers. It's intention is not to transfer camber deflection to the other corner but just to add rigidity.

-RMB
Old 05-06-2002, 11:41 AM

imma solve this one

yes get the FSTB you will love it. I do to the point where i wonder why nissan just didnt install it.. what it does? it works..How does it work...call your high school or college physics teacher... or you can call the manufacturers cause i see a million different answers .